You might be a toy collector...

Reaction score
If you see the new Jazwares Star Wars vehicles collection(micros) on the Rebelscum Cele. site and you want them all and try to call the nearest Target store to find out when they will be available-right after you see the promotion, you may be a toy collector!

Reaction score
If you're watching a doomsday/conspiracy theory video, on YouTube, about the collapse of civilization/end of the world and your first thought is, "All that stuff I bought on eBay and my Amazon pre-orders better get here before the world ends, or I'm gonna be pissed," then you might be a toy collector.

If you're walking through the microwave aisle of any store and start opening up all the display microwaves, because someone might have stashed an action figure in there, then you might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
If you are maintaining a persistent fantasy that if you woke up in the middle of the night and your house was on fire, you would still be able to rescue your entire toy collection before it all burned up ("But only after I made sure my family was completely safe," added in as almost an afterthought), then you might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
If you have debates with yourself aloud in a store about why you should or shouldn't purchase a figure just for bits and pieces to make a custom Tonnika sister then decide that even if things don't work out for that particular custom, you're still safe cos it'll just be a plain old (ahem) "Unnamed Tatooine Extra", you might be a toy collector. Also??? If upon reading this,????......you aren't scratching your head asking "what the **** is a "Tonnika sister"....you might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but you might be a toy collector if you and your friends go into a toy store and each buy up a bunch of peg warmers so that they'll finally stock new figures. Not that I ever did that...

Reaction score
Forgive me if this was already mentioned, but you might be a toy collector if you and your friends go into a toy store and each buy up a bunch of peg warmers so that they'll finally stock new figures. Not that I ever did that...

And then return them all once the toy aisle gets stocked with new figures? Not that I would ever do that of course. ;)

If you look back on all the disastrous financial decisions that you've made over the course of your life, just to afford the latest toys, and refer to them as the "good ol' days," then you might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
If the cashier is really cute…..

View attachment 425627

but you still make a basket full of purchases of questionable items, you might be a toy collector

Ummmm, I’m not sure what a “cashier” is??? As a toy collector, this is the only sight I’m familiar with when I checkout:

29F8C5D0-C2D1-446E-B974-06286E08ECA0.png

Let me rephrase that. As a momc collector, this is the only sight I’m familiar with…

Reaction score
If you are walking up the stairs & you need to take a rest…. STOP you have a serious medical condition & need to see a doctor ASAP.

After reading that you think what will really happen to my stuff…. You might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
When a family member is concerned about another family member and says the word “pulse” while helping them to a chair, and your mind briefly in the middle of a medical episode goes somewhere very much else, then you might be a toy collector. Sorry, but true.

Reaction score
While scrolling through social media, you see an amazing diorama with just awesome work & your first thought how can I add this to my display, then you think that action figure almost looks real…

Then you realize it’s someone‘s vacation picture….😠

you might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
You might be a toy collector if your adult son calls you and you let it go to voice-mail because you are in a board meeting. He immediately calls you again, which is family code for "something urgent is going down and I need to talk to you".

You excuse yourself from the meeting and call him back. He tells you he is at Walmart and they have a new case of the retro star wars figures you've been looking for. He wants to know which ones you need. You quote him Darth Sidious: "wipe them out....all of them.." then go back to your meeting.

Reaction score
You open a post & read that the preorder that you want is actually arriving….

Then you realize that you have not been following this thread & the posts are actually several months old.

Many people have even posted pictures of said preorder…..

Its been 6 months where the Fu*$# is my dam action figure!!!!!!!!!

Your preorder is still listed as 3 months away….. WTF!

if your reaction included many more fowl words…. You might be a toy collector

Reaction score
When you go to Target/Walmart/etc you try to take the shortest possible route to the toy section, you might be a toy collector. Or lazy.

Reaction score
I hope someone didn't beat me to this one...because I've done this... :LOL:

If you tell your angry spouse/lover "Noooo babe, I didn't buy MORE figures today, I've had these old things since before I even met you. Honest!"...you might be a toy collector.

If your spouse/lover knows you're lying about having said figures for years in an attempt to stay out of the dog house...you might be a toy collector.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your nephews & nieces all have great & wonderful collections that they have never seen then you might be a toy collector.

Reaction score
If you dream of hitting the lotto and the first thing that comes to mind isn't buying a new house, car, or paying bills/getting out a debt...you might be a toy collector...or a drug addict. =P

If you plan out displays before you even own the figure/figures...you might be a toy collector. If you plan out your displays before the figure is even ANNOUNCED to be made...you're totally a toy collector.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep. And I can’t wait for the figure release, either. So I end up going the custom route. Then, if the character eventually does get made, I get all the team members again just so the custom can have a team. It’s definitely nuts.

Reaction score
I know that it's rumored, but I have actual first hand proof that product was going out the back door at Toys R Us. And just for clarification, I'm not talking about theft, I mean product held and sold before it hits the shelf to 'scalpers' or whomever ... and the employees were given a 'gift' for the assistance. I don't think anyone really cared because product was still readily available much of the time, but I can tell you that I rarely purchased at Toys R Us because I always saw stuff at Target first. I'm sure what I saw at Toys R Us was the second delivery because it was never out before the other stores had it out.
I was a manager at TRU for around seven years and can personally vouche for some things. I rose in the ranks very fast because I ACTUALLY knew toys - not simply for my job, but was my sincere hobby. So I was often personally requested because people noticed I knew what I was talking about. I even made friends with a lot of our regulars. I def. helped make a lot of epic Christmas and Birthdays for people. I was electronics manager or as we called it, R-Zone. And I was working there during the height of the Skylander and Amibo craze. It's a slippery slope when dealing with scalpers because end of the day, they're still customers and this is still your job. I got bribed quite a bit during specifically that time, but I never accepted. However, if we didn't have a limit on how many could be purchased...there's really not much we can do. We have to wait on them regardless of liking it or not. We have to.

But for me, as not only someone who worked at TRU but also as a toy collector in my personal life, I did something that...potentially...could have gotten me fired. I just felt it was the right thing to do and was my personal way of having a level of control over the scalpers. If we got an especially rare Amibo going for like $100 plus on Ebay, for example, I'd put maybe half on the pegs and then I'd actually hide some under the counter and put them out periodically throughout the day, particularly when I saw kids looking at the said Amibo's...to basically ensure that more kids or sincere collectors got a rare rather than a scalper hoarding them all.

But I will also say, I'm not entirely innocent here. One thing you guys didn't factor, something I can also vouche for, is that a lot of (particularly male) employees working at TRU were - more or less - collectors themselves. The very reason why a lot worked there was basically to ensure they got first dibs, that's why I worked there, but I can't say I met any scalper employees (though it probably did go on around Christmas...but likely not from the actual collector employees but more the average Joe employee) - only sincere collector employees. So workers themselves probably also got a percentage of new figures like SW, Joe, Legends, etc. But our logic was, if it's that important to them to get these...they can apply here too. Maybe cold, but I think valid. So I never felt particularly guilty about that as I wasn't scalping or hoarding but purchasing for my genuine private collection. The work staff at any store will always amount to a potential percentage of sales themselves. Every retail job I've had has had at least one or two collectors besides just me (though usually not to my level) - it just makes sense that TRU would have the largest amount of collectors working there.

It def. wasn't worth the pay, pay was garbage, but I must confess...it was one of my favorite jobs I've ever had. Retail isn't the most fulfulling job, but being able to go out of your way to make a kid smile and to put their parents at easy was really gratifying. It was actually the TRU I shopped at as a kid. Every day was a blast...and boy do I have stories from that time. So many hysterical things...and trust me when I say, there was no bigger nightmare to a TRU employee than a Hot Wheels collector.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, that’s fair. If someone loves toys so much to choose to make it their job, then more power to them. Plus, every job has its perks. Collectors drive the thing’s popularity and economy; scalpers ruin it.

Reaction score
Sadly scalpers are not just in toys, pretty much every hobby. Video games, cloths, accessories, seasonal,

it’s like they are trying to have their own little art scam. Honestly if you got research art & how it gets it perceived vs actual value & think I can do that with my stuff you might be a toy collector!

Reaction score
I was a manager at TRU for around seven years and can personally vouche for some things. I rose in the ranks very fast because I ACTUALLY knew toys - not simply for my job, but was my sincere hobby. So I was often personally requested because people noticed I knew what I was talking about. I even made friends with a lot of our regulars. I def. helped make a lot of epic Christmas and Birthdays for people. I was electronics manager or as we called it, R-Zone. And I was working there during the height of the Skylander and Amibo craze. It's a slippery slope when dealing with scalpers because end of the day, they're still customers and this is still your job. I got bribed quite a bit during specifically that time, but I never accepted. However, if we didn't have a limit on how many could be purchased...there's really not much we can do. We have to wait on them regardless of liking it or not. We have to.

But for me, as not only someone who worked at TRU but also as a toy collector in my personal life, I did something that...potentially...could have gotten me fired. I just felt it was the right thing to do and was my personal way of having a level of control over the scalpers. If we got an especially rare Amibo going for like $100 plus on Ebay, for example, I'd put maybe half on the pegs and then I'd actually hide some under the counter and put them out periodically throughout the day, particularly when I saw kids looking at the said Amibo's...to basically ensure that more kids or sincere collectors got a rare rather than a scalper hoarding them all.

But I will also say, I'm not entirely innocent here. One thing you guys didn't factor, something I can also vouche for, is that a lot of (particularly male) employees working at TRU were - more or less - collectors themselves. The very reason why a lot worked there was basically to ensure they got first dibs, that's why I worked there, but I can't say I met any scalper employees (though it probably did go on around Christmas...but likely not from the actual collector employees but more the average Joe employee) - only sincere collector employees. So workers themselves probably also got a percentage of new figures like SW, Joe, Legends, etc. But our logic was, if it's that important to them to get these...they can apply here too. Maybe cold, but I think valid. So I never felt particularly guilty about that as I wasn't scalping or hoarding but purchasing for my genuine private collection. The work staff at any store will always amount to a potential percentage of sales themselves. Every retail job I've had has had at least one or two collectors besides just me (though usually not to my level) - it just makes sense that TRU would have the largest amount of collectors working there.

It def. wasn't worth the pay, pay was garbage, but I must confess...it was one of my favorite jobs I've ever had. Retail isn't the most fulfulling job, but being able to go out of your way to make a kid smile and to put their parents at easy was really gratifying. It was actually the TRU I shopped at as a kid. Every day was a blast...and boy do I have stories from that time. So many hysterical things...and trust me when I say, there was no bigger nightmare to a TRU employee than a Hot Wheels collector.
Employees will get first dibs... that's understandable. If I unboxed the stuff and I want it, I'm taking what I want for sure. I've seen whole boxes go out the back door though and that's pretty shady.

I worked at a Meijer in Michigan, but unfortunately it was during the dark times... 1990ish. And back then I didn't have any money anyway 🥲

Reaction score
Employees will get first dibs... that's understandable. If I unboxed the stuff and I want it, I'm taking what I want for sure. I've seen whole boxes go out the back door though and that's pretty shady.

I worked at a Meijer in Michigan, but unfortunately it was during the dark times... 1990ish. And back then I didn't have any money anyway 🥲
Yeah most collectors seem cool with the employee collectors getting first dibs. Plus I always played fair, I'd only buy one of every figure that I wanted (and rarely did I want an entire wave) and share the rest. Plus we almost always got at least two shipments, so more would come in later.
But that's the funny thing, I was going to mention with how much they paid me...my first dibs right didn't even amount to much as I couldn't AFFORD many toys at that time. LMFAO!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah most collectors seem cool with the employee collectors getting first dibs. Plus I always played fair, I'd only buy one of every figure that I wanted (and rarely did I want an entire wave) and share the rest. Plus we almost always got at least two shipments, so more would come in later.
But that's the funny thing, I was going to mention with how much they paid me...my first dibs right didn't even amount to much as I couldn't AFFORD many toys at that time. LMFAO!
AND you mention another thing from back in the day... multiple shipments. Now if an employee takes one of each figure, the store might not actually get anything to put on the pegs. This MAY be why I see so little on pegs around me now. One box = 1 collector (or 1 collector with a Lando leftover).