You made or broke your C4 budget?

iHu

Reaction score
Did you wind up on, over or under your C4 budget? What was it that put you over, or kept things in line?

You don't need to disclose $$ amounts, just trying to get an idea how LA hit the collective pocketbook around here.

I was a little bit over budget, maybe by a couple hundred, not too bad. For the most part, my estimate before the trip was pretty close to actual.

Reaction score
Our CIV budget was increased by less than $500, which is not bad at all. We knew how much we wanted to budget based on past experience at C3, as well as all of the product updates & costs provided by OPX and here on this forum. What kept us basically on track was a full year's worth of saving. As soon as CIV was officially announced, we started our own CIV Fund, and made weekly deposits into it every week religiously. Plus, we allocated our work bonuses and tax refund to our CIV Fund as well.

Overall, we were very pleased with our CIV spending and what items we were able to purchase. And as soon as we returned back home from LA, we started our C5 savings fund.

Reaction score
It depends how you mean. LOL I *had* a budget. I sold quite a bit of stuff and wound up not having to go to the ATM at all. I left my house with $35 and returned with $200 and a bag of stuff. I managed to buy everything, until York showed up, with money from sales. But then he did show up and now I owe him quite a bit. LOL So, aside from him I stuck to budget and even came in under budget. Hell, I even gave York $500 from my sales but I still have a long way to go before I'm done paying him off.

John

Reaction score
I didn't really have a budget, but I did make some impulse buys that caused me to ultimately spend more than I had planned to. Some of my impulse buys:

- Two autographed Ralph McQuarrie prints for a total of $65, I think.
- The fleece pullover from the C4 store for $65 (which came in real handy on one cold morning).
- Autograph tickets for Anthony Daniels & Kenny Baker to have both sign my McDroids figure - $55.
- A C3 Vader sans Star Case for $15.
- A RotS Palpatine blue saber variant for $10.

Reaction score
Well, I came close to my budget, but went a little over. It helped quite a bit that I kept forgetting to eat. That saved me loads of $$$$!

Couldn't pass up the sale on the Sideshow Jabba though!
Plus, I kept talking to artists and ended up buying their prints. I have no idea where I'm going to hang them though.

Reaction score
I stayed pretty much on budget...at a max I was $200 over. I found a few of the pieces in the artists area that decided I wanted once I saw them in person. But other than that...pretty good. As far as the whole merchandise thing went, this con seemed pretty lackluster in some of those respects. Really the only thing I did not get that I really wanted was a Collector Panel Medallion. Hunting those down will indeed put me over budget for sure. At least at the current market rate!

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I probably made the mistake of not having a "budget" at all. I went there with a ton of cash and planned on using the debit card if I had to.

I came home with not a single dollar left in my wallet and I used my debit card.
Oh well, it's not every weekend there's a Star Wars Convention going on. The only bad part about the whole thing was that I had no paid vacation time to use, so I was spending money for six days and not making any money either.

I was buying stuff for other people too, so I'll be getting at least some of that money back.

Reaction score
I stayed pretty close to my budget. I skipped out on a few things I originally planned on getting, and picked up some other stuff instead. I'm really happy with all my C4 swag!

Reaction score
JediShua said:
Plus, I kept talking to artists and ended up buying their prints. I have no idea where I'm going to hang them though.
My house is always a good option.

-theropod

Reaction score
I took my "budget" with me in cash and I came home with money left over. But I did end up spending more than I thought I was going to. Part of that was the Art of Ralph McQuarrie book which I bought along with a few extra exclusives for people at home.

I spent way more cash on things I didn't think about like shuttle to/from the hotel, food, car parking at the airport and things like that.

E...

Reaction score
efranks said:
I took my "budget" with me in cash and I came home with money left over. But I did end up spending more than I thought I was going to.
That's what we did . . . . we had plenty budgeted for CIV and came back home with leftover $$, but there was a part of me that thought we'd come home with a lot more than we did! Boy was I wrong! Felt good to not "charge" a single item at CIV . . . .

Reaction score
I came in about $76 under budget.

BTW, I came up with an AWESOME Excel spreadsheet for tracking my CIV budget and expenses. I'd be more than happy to share it with others for future Celebrations. It was essential in determining how much $$ I really needed for the trip (and also helpful in identifying what could be cut out when need be).

Reaction score
I originally budgeted high, and ended up with a little bit left over from that amount. I ended up not doing some of the things I originally planned to do and then I substituted some impulse purchases for planned purchases I ended up not making. Like most detailed plans, the plans went out the window on first contact and just became guidelines.

All in all it worked out well for me, now I'm looking forward to attending SDCC.

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
What's a budget?!

Yeah, I came in over what I expected to spend. But it was worth every cent!

Mike

Ed3

Reaction score
I spent about what I planned to but not on exactly the items I'd planned to buy.

On the unexpected saving side: The Celebration Store didn't have the C4 patches on Wednesday night nor on Sunday morning (don't know about in the middle). I saved money by using the hotel's courtesy car for errands rather than a cab. I brought my own Diet Dr Peppers to the LACC.

On the unexpected spending side: The USPS had a Chewie print I just had to have. We ordered delivery pizza almost every night (thank you, Rocket Pizza Lounge!) for dinner. We bought so much bulky/fragile stuff that we had to ship a box home FedEx.

Reaction score
Yeah, I did spent $73 having to ship stuff back home via UPS. Wasn't exactly expecting that.

Reaction score
Swag

Consider bank officially broken!

chi-walla-walla...chi-bang-bang! chi-walla-walla...chi-bang-bang!

Reaction score
Like many others, I brought cash and covered most of my trip. I did wind up using my credit card, but it was only for a meal or two. And my one vintage purchase. I certainly spent more than I had anticipated but it was the unexpected purchase that put me over the top.

Joe

Reaction score
Great thread topic!

being as it was my first real con and Celebration - I didn't have a budget to go on. I knew what the travel expenses, admission, and estimated food cost were going to be.

I did expect to perhaps spend more $$ on garb than I did but there wasn't the any great last minute deals on Sunday PM or Monday that I thought there would be. mostly it seamed to me a ton of dealers who were selling stuff Hasbro's stuff from the past two to three years with some a little vintage, MR, GG, and SS thrown in.

I certainly could have spent more in the artist's area of the exhibit hall - but limited wall space prevailed.

The collector panels also kept me out of the exhibit hall a great deal too - SO THANKS AGAIN TO THOSE WHO PUT THEM ON!

Reaction score
JangosKid said:
I certainly could have spent more in the artist's area of the exhibit hall - but limited wall space prevailed.

The collector panels also kept me out of the exhibit hall a great deal too - SO THANKS AGAIN TO THOSE WHO PUT THEM ON!
Those two factors also helped me save some cash and waiting in long lines.

I was unable to score a pre-order GG R2 & Yoda , GG Boba Fett, and SS Luke but I still managed to not over spend too much.

I could partially blame Disneyland from Monday thru Wednesday before the con also that didn't help my budget.

Reaction score
I did and didn't have a budget. Basically had $2000 left on my Credit Card and that was all I had so there was no going over. But the girlfriend had $2000 too, and most of the stuff was pre-ordered. I got everything I wanted, and then some. What saved me, the Girlfriend going over budget $700 buying stuff for me, and not getting the 3 most expensive prints in the gallery. Thou I made up for it by dropping another $200 on Auto coupons, on top of the $400 we had pre-ordered.

Reaction score
I told myself that I would only spend a max of 600. Boy was I wrong.

Couple of hundred? I was a thousand over my max.

Whatever. Good times.

Dorman Print
Acme Booth.

Need I say more?

Reaction score
I would have come home under budget, I was doing really well at either getting good deals or missing out on a couple of higher end items I would have bought, then Steve York showed up.... I ended up going home broke, and oweing some that I just sent out, on top of that. Time to recharge the bank acct for CE....

Cheers
J

Reaction score
If I had a budget, it was CRUSHED by having to change hotels as soon as we got there. We spent substantially more on the new hotel, but it was worth it. 6 nights in the Wilshire Grand concrete bed was NOT going to happen.

Parking a few times a day and shipping my stuff home to Jersey didn't help either.

Reaction score
Parking a few times a day? Ouch! I was lucky enough to have had a car there as well, and drove the 2 miles from a cheaper hotel. Parked and didn't leave all day. Nice cooler full of cold drinks and sandwiches, relax for a few minutes and rejuvenate for the afternoon. There was no way I was paying another $12 just go get back in, and a worse parking spot. :p

As for my budget, I didn't really have one, just a rough idea of what I could spend, but the drive down was more expensive than I thought it would be, Plus the extra cost of a NICE engagement ring nixed alot of trip money right there. Thats a concession I was glad to make. There were a few things I didn't get that I wanted, like a few Auto's but there were things I did get I didn't expect such as the Cinema Cast Vader at the Hasbro Booth and a few things in the store. Looking back, I should have picked up one of those red jackets on the last day at half price, but it's too late now. Also, sitting in the collectors panels kept me away from the floor and saved me money as well I think.

Now, I think I will have to start saving for C5!

Rich

Reaction score
What made my wallet nervous more than what I did spend at CIV is what I WILL be spending in the upcoming months. So many cool items were showcased at CIV from GG and Sideshow, such as that amazing PF Biker Scout with Speeder piece. I saw tons of soon-to-be-released items that I would want to desperately add to my SW collection.

And I thought I'd be dropping a ton of coin at CIV. The rest of 2007 and into 2008 is gonna be even worse for my bank account.

Reaction score
JoeKersavage said:
And my one vintage purchase. I certainly spent more than I had anticipated but it was the unexpected purchase that put me over the top.

Joe
Joe, you know that i'll be happy to take that vintage purchase off your hands if need be

Uncle Gundy

Reaction score
I was under by $200, but not by choice. That cash was for the McQ prints and that R2 glass thingee.

Reaction score
Uncle_Gundy said:
JoeKersavage said:
And my one vintage purchase. I certainly spent more than I had anticipated but it was the unexpected purchase that put me over the top.

Joe
Joe, you know that i'll be happy to take that vintage purchase off your hands if need be

Uncle Gundy
HAHA! I was wondering how long it would take for Derek to try and pry that out of your collection, Joe!

E...

Reaction score
I spent about what I was expecting to spend. Alot!
By far the most expensive 6 day vacation for me ever. But one of the most fun too.

Reaction score
Not even close!
I did not buy anything except an over-priced T-shirt.

I wasn't really surprised or disappointed, as my collecting tastes have become quite narrow and I didn't really expect to find anything I wanted.

Still had a blast.

Andy

Reaction score
If you count all the figures and busts I bought for local collectors, well.. we broke our budget by $1000...

not counting those.. I think we have $70 left in our C4 account we set up before leaving..

Reaction score
efranks said:
Uncle_Gundy said:
JoeKersavage said:

Joe

Uncle Gundy
HAHA! I was wondering how long it would take for Derik to try and pry that out of your collection, Joe!

E...
Dude I can't let that go!! I still go into my collection room just to look at it. Usually at least once per day.
Sad but true, I really like it!!

Joe

Reaction score
Ok, I gotta know, what did you buy, Joe? Especially since Derek is hot for it. I mean the guy already has EVERYTHING!!

John

Reaction score
I definately spent way more than I expected. first in the autograph hall. I ended up having to buy 12 more tickets. also spent more in the CIV store than planned. I wasn't planning on getting the official CIV shirt until I saw it in person and had to get one. though that makes up for a few items that were already sold out at 8pm Thursday that I wanted. then there was the Boba Fett maquete that I budgeted for but didn't expect to get than add another $20 to that since I decided to have Jeremy Bulloch sign it. I came with alot of cash and went home with about $20 and had to transfer several hundred to my checking acount to cover debit card transactions......lol. but I wouldn't trade any of it for the amazing time I had there!!!
I think parking was the biggest hit on the wallet. $12 each day for 3 days at the convention, $10 to park at fan club breakfast, $15 to park at Dodger stadium, $10 to park at Universal City Walk, around $4 to park in Santa Monica, and a few more dollars to park in Hollywood for the El Capitan Theater.
going to have to start saving soon for CV!!!