Yoda TESB - #VC218

Reaction score
Well that sux....no snake. Oh well, I think he looks great on that cardback and headsculpt is definitely better than the old VOTC. Eyes look awesome in the above photo. I never got the Cave of Evil 3 pack, always thought the Luke looked awful. Will be happy to have this Yoda on the ESB cardback. That being said, IMO they have never topped the original vintage Yoda from '80.

Reaction score
Very odd choice to pack the backpack behind him instead of filling out the bubble with it.

Reaction score
Yes - the 2014 release, which was reissued in the CAVE OF EVIL.

The 2014 figure wasn't actually released in the Cave of Evil set, that's a totally different sculpt, the confusion is because the accessories are the same. The figure from TBS 3.75 was actually a limited articulation sculpt, while the Cave sculpt is fully articulated, based on the ROTS mold from TVC with a new head. This upcoming version is the Cave figure with updated deco.

Shame they didn't spend a bit on tooling to give him a snake accessory and a new robe - a Kenner 96 figure should have a bit more effort. Not to mention, the cardback looks silly with a photoshopped backpack.

22-Yoda-Dagobah-The-Black-Series-Hasbro-014.jpg

Cave-Of-Evil-3-Pack-17.jpg

ZX3

Reaction score
A lot of people slept on the Cave of Evil set thinking it was just a reissue of the 2014 figure.
I purchased it as an afterthought and basically forgot about it but when I finally opened it and discovered how dramatically better it was I went to eBay to snag another. It's nice that Hasbro is giving people a second chance at this excellent figure.

Reaction score
The 2014 figure wasn't actually released in the Cave of Evil set, that's a totally different sculpt, the confusion is because the accessories are the same. The figure from TBS 3.75 was actually a limited articulation sculpt, while the Cave sculpt is fully articulated, based on the ROTS mold from TVC with a new head. This upcoming version is the Cave figure with updated deco.

Shame they didn't spend a bit on tooling to give him a snake accessory and a new robe - a Kenner 96 figure should have a bit more effort. Not to mention, the cardback looks silly with a photoshopped backpack.

22-Yoda-Dagobah-The-Black-Series-Hasbro-014.jpg

Cave-Of-Evil-3-Pack-17.jpg
What is photoshopped about the backpack?
Screenshot_20220106-063511.pngScreenshot_20220106-063448.png

Reaction score
Sorry I disagree, but that head sculpt looks to be the same as the VOTC which, to me, does not convey Yoda. IMO, the head sculpt on this release is about dead on for a ESB Yoda, ecpecially if it gets better paint which from the photos it looks that way.20220106_103110.pngScreenshot_20220106-102910.png
Looks pretty close to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Technically everything, I suspect it's a different frame than the original. maybe 1 or 2 off from the original.

Yeah, it's a different frame for sure - you can tell from his mouth. It also appears they color corrected the bag with one of those photoshop programs, which makes it look a bit off.

As for the figure, this is probably as good as it gets - we'll just have to use the snake and robe from previous releases to make a proper "ultimate" version of Yoda from ESB. I do think this one looks good, but since I have the Cave release, I cant see buying another with slight paint updates. I will say though, I appreciate all the versions of this character since the Kenner days, the vast majority of his OT figures have been great. I still think his POTF2 release was an excellent likeness.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a different frame for sure - you can tell from his mouth. It also appears they color corrected the bag with one of those photoshop programs, which makes it look a bit off.

As for the figure, this is probably as good as it gets - we'll just have to use the snake and robe from previous releases to make a proper "ultimate" version of Yoda from ESB. I do think this one looks good, but since I have the Cave release, I cant see buying another with slight paint updates. I will say though, I appreciate all the versions of this character since the Kenner days, the vast majority of his OT figures have been great. I still think his POTF2 release was an excellent likeness.
I see it now....good eyes sidious (y)

Reaction score
Never grabbed the Cave of Evil set as I hate that Luke. I would have grabbed it on clearance just for this Yoda, but there were long gone by that point. So I will pick this Yoda up, and I think the card art is fitting since he comes with the backpack.

Reaction score
I tend to think whenever they're doing Yoda they use his CG appearance for reference because he's only light green in those! lol

I also believe that this is the Yoda we're going to get, I know some were perhaps wanting an all new one like what the old concept sketch laid out, but at this point I don't feel they're going to waste resources on a new mold for him. Not when the current mold will suffice, if it were the matter of him not being updated since POTJ or TPM era then yes we'd likely get a new version.

now that i think about it I will get two, one to keep carded and one to possibly use later for a dio and not have to worry about him being scarce like so many others when I actually need them. X-Wing Luke for example now goes for $50-100, I would have liked to get a couple more for custom fodder..

Reaction score
This is a better ESB Yoda than most, but I see no reason to replace my carded VOTC Yoda. Maybe if they had used the alternate card art from '83, but alas...

yoda77a1020a.jpg
Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a carded vintage figure like this one, WITH the Toys R Us sticker. Double nostalgia, right?

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a carded vintage figure like this one, WITH the Toys R Us sticker. Double nostalgia, right?
Well yeah, ya gotta have one of those too to go along with the retro version and this new one coming out. (y)

Reaction score
SG's for sure were much better in Vintage than they are today, but IMO none of the sculpts looked like their respective characters. That Yoda head sculpt looked nothing like his character other than being a green frog looking creature. People complain about PT head sculpt but the Vintage one has a goofy grin on his face that I don't recall ever seeing him make. I guess I'm not wearing my nostalgia glasses when I look at it.

Reaction score
SG's for sure were much better in Vintage than they are today, but IMO none of the sculpts looked like their respective characters. That Yoda head sculpt looked nothing like his character other than being a green frog looking creature. People complain about PT head sculpt but the Vintage one has a goofy grin on his face that I don't recall ever seeing him make. I guess I'm not wearing my nostalgia glasses when I look at it.
You had to walk up on it hanging there in the store seeing it for the first time when you're 8 years old in 1980 after seeing Empire.....(to fully appreciate) ;)🙂

Reaction score
Oddly enough I never had Yoda as a kid, either my parent were never able to fine him or it was a budget issue. Even more odd is that my Grandparents did have him so whenever I visited I could play with him very carefully for about five minutes then put him back on display. Couldn't have the snake though because I might lose it! lol

That said even the figures I did buy myself don't really hold much space in my head, I remember buying them but not with any great emotional factor. It wasn't until the line started making better figures is when I started getting excited for certain characters, specifically TAC because it blend SA with much better sculpts and details as well as new characters, EU, and never before done OT ones. Not to mention some great Concept Art figures!

Reaction score
This Yoda is sculpted really well but the thing I hate about the cave of evil version is how stiff the soft goods are. Makes articulating the arms so cumbersome. And also the robe constantly frays. Would have preferred a plastic robe for him. Also some ball-hinged elbows would have been nice too. Basically the same set-up the TVC Jawa has.

Reaction score
A lot of people slept on the Cave of Evil set thinking it was just a reissue of the 2014 figure.
I purchased it as an afterthought and basically forgot about it but when I finally opened it and discovered how dramatically better it was I went to eBay to snag another. It's nice that Hasbro is giving people a second chance at this excellent figure.
I can actually skip this one thanks to that set. I'll sell the Dagobah Vader though, no use for him.

Reaction score
Near the greatest snow on Earth. (SLC, UT)
From press release after the 2/9/22 Fan First Livestream.

Yoda on a The Empire Strikes Back card.

Available for pre-order beginning tomorrow, February 10th, at 1:00pm ET at most major retailers.

On shelf Fall 2022. MSRP is $13.99.

Press Images

VC-Yoda-TESB-Carded-1-Resized.jpg

VC-Yoda-TESB-Loose-1-Resized.jpg
VC-Yoda-TESB-Loose-2-Resized.jpg

VC-Yoda-TESB-Loose-3-Resized.jpg
VC-Yoda-TESB-Loose-4-Resized.jpg

HD Images

Spoiler:  
VC-Yoda-TESB-Carded-1.jpg

VC-Yoda-TESB-Loose-3.jpg

VC-Yoda-TESB-Loose-4.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks great but I wish the robe was a little longer.