Yoda - #06

Reaction score
The sculpt looks real nice. I don't like how his robe is super "clean" and perfectly cut/tapered at the bottom. And since he's a smaller character, they really should include more accessories.
I was notincing the same thing just now. It shouldn't be too difficult to fray the edges of his pajamas.

Reaction score
I can't believe that's all they are going to include and try to justify charging $20 for that! I'll get him when it's on sale at TRU for $13.99 and I have $5 in rewards. No way I'm paying $20 for that. That's just crazy.

Reaction score
again....

a smaller figure from 1980 looks better than this.

The head sculpt is nice but not blowing me away mainly due to the hair paint job. the cloak is too clean and baggy. can't even see his brown under garment.

accessories? would have been nice to get a lamp/flashlight, and a food box with a piece of food.

although it's a scale in line with a 12" figure, medicom seemed to get it right back in the day.

see how they just eliminated hair paint and just left sculpt along with the wash.

no excuse for Hasbro in regards to paint job and accessories.

Reaction score
I can see the complaints about the outfit being little off, and face sculpt kind of being blend of the 2 trilogies, and those that feel we need more or different accessories. But those complaining about price, this and the Jabba, doesn't make much sense. We've been paying regular prices for Yoda forever. Hasbro's never charged less for Yoda. We bought Wicket and said he was one of TVC's best, among other Ewoks. We've bought Ugnaughts & other small droids too. So why in this scale is Yoda all of a sudden not worth it? LIke someone said, on that rational, Vader & Chewy would be a bargain. If Yoda is done well, then he and any other smaller scale character is worth what the others cost. Similarly, Jabba should cost more. Some of you must be the few who bought those out of scale starfighters & ships Hasbro dreamed up over the last couple years I guess. Who wants a way out of scale Jabba so we can say we paid $20? If you want to collect the larger line, then things are going to cost little more. Now when the quality is not there, that's a different issue.

Reaction score
Yeah, anybody paying 10 bucks for this:

...should have no problem paying twenty for this, which is nearly double the size, has a far superior likeness (fingers crossed)and has a ***damn snake:

Reaction score
I can see the complaints about the outfit being little off, and face sculpt kind of being blend of the 2 trilogies, and those that feel we need more or different accessories. But those complaining about price, this and the Jabba, doesn't make much sense. We've been paying regular prices for Yoda forever. Hasbro's never charged less for Yoda. We bought Wicket and said he was one of TVC's best, among other Ewoks. We've bought Ugnaughts & other small droids too. So why in this scale is Yoda all of a sudden not worth it? LIke someone said, on that rational, Vader & Chewy would be a bargain. If Yoda is done well, then he and any other smaller scale character is worth what the others cost. Similarly, Jabba should cost more. Some of you must be the few who bought those out of scale starfighters & ships Hasbro dreamed up over the last couple years I guess. Who wants a way out of scale Jabba so we can say we paid $20? If you want to collect the larger line, then things are going to cost little more. Now when the quality is not there, that's a different issue.
Exactly. And it's a matter of subsidizing - the line balance. Big ol' Chewbacca and Vader (with soft goods) are made possible by a uniform price across the line.

Reaction score
Yeah, anybody paying 10 bucks for this:

...should have no problem paying twenty for this, which is nearly double the size, has a far superior likeness (fingers crossed)and has a ***damn snake:

I'm beginning to realize Hasbro isn't paying their developers anything. domestically or overseas. only way to explain worthless product like that small black series yoda.

the 1995 product was better even though they didn't realize nobody wanted their figures on steroids.

Reaction score
Remember this? 10 bucks

and this gem......$1.50 is you decided to bypass the tacos

even Hasbro's past can make fun of their present

Reaction score
Well, Chewie has been delayed so far. When he's out and the price is still the same as the others, then there's a bit more to go on. However, I'm more concerned with the fact that we are getting fewer and fewer perks and whatnot from the "Collectors'" Line. Maul was decent and borderline worth MSRP, R2 had a lot of accessories and was borderline MSRP as well. Most of the rest of the line has simply been a larger character (aside from Fett). They are simply not worth $20.

We have been paying the same price for Yoda in the 3 3/4" line however, even from the beginning, he's always had extras that most of the line never had. The vintage one has soft-goods, cane, snake and belt; that was the most accessories for the vintage line, at the time. In more recent Yoda releases, we've gotten chairs, fire, backpacks and many other tidbits that always seemed to be an offset for the smaller figure. Also, most of the previous figures have been between $3-$7 which isn't that big of a deal when buying a toy for a child. There's going to be a psychological thing going on here where people will see this teeny-tiny thing with not much in the box that will make people start to rethink if they are getting good value for their money. What does this one have that goes above an beyond to try to help people reconcile, in their mind, they are getting a good value for $20?

Reaction score
Well, Chewie has been delayed so far. When he's out and the price is still the same as the others, then there's a bit more to go on. However, I'm more concerned with the fact that we are getting fewer and fewer perks and whatnot from the "Collectors'" Line. Maul was decent and borderline worth MSRP, R2 had a lot of accessories and was borderline MSRP as well. Most of the rest of the line has simply been a larger character (aside from Fett). They are simply not worth $20.

We have been paying the same price for Yoda in the 3 3/4" line however, even from the beginning, he's always had extras that most of the line never had. The vintage one has soft-goods, cane, snake and belt; that was the most accessories for the vintage line, at the time. In more recent Yoda releases, we've gotten chairs, fire, backpacks and many other tidbits that always seemed to be an offset for the smaller figure. Also, most of the previous figures have been between $3-$7 which isn't that big of a deal when buying a toy for a child. There's going to be a psychological thing going on here where people will see this teeny-tiny thing with not much in the box that will make people start to rethink if they are getting good value for their money. What does this one have that goes above an beyond to try to help people reconcile, in their mind, they are getting a good value for $20?
This Yoda has:
  1. Soft good cloak
  2. Belt
  3. Lightsaber
  4. Snake
  5. Necklace
  6. Gimer stick

By my math, that might be the most of any figure yet in the BS6" line other than Han and Artoo. Seems pretty great to me.

GNT

Reaction score
Remember this? 10 bucks

even Hasbro's past can make fun of their present
That was released what over 15 years ago? Times have changed since then and prices are completely different now.

Star Wars fans are so cheap.
Best thing I've read in ages, it's so true. Everyone expects super articulated and detailed figures for nothing. Hasbro is a business out to make money (usually), you either buy their products or stop collecting if you can't afford it.

Reaction score
This Yoda has:
  1. Soft good cloak
  2. Belt
  3. Lightsaber
  4. Snake
  5. Necklace
  6. Gimer stick

By my math, that might be the most of any figure yet in the BS6" line other than Han and Artoo. Seems pretty great to me.
Shhhh... don't bring logic, facts, and common sense into the discussion. Many Star Wars fans can't accept these things.

Reaction score
Nice! I wasn't expecting to see Yoda so soon. I think the SG looks good but I wonder how the good the sculpting and articulation blending is underneath.

GNT

Reaction score
Anyway guys please return to talking about the new Yoda figure please.

Reaction score
This Yoda has:
  1. Soft good cloak
  2. Belt
  3. Lightsaber
  4. Snake
  5. Necklace
  6. Gimer stick

Didn't see the necklace on him, pretty much all of the first series of figures had the same amount of accessories, if not more. In Series 2 and 3 is where we started getting just 2 accessories with the figures. Maul, R2, Luke and the Sandtrooper have equivalent numbers of accessories. Now when you compare it to Greedo, Luke Bespin, Stormtrooper or Obi-Wan, then you are correct, Yoda has quite a bit more to offer. That's the problem with this line is that we are getting less and less and expected to still pay the same.

As I said, I will wait until TRU has a $13.99 sale and I have a $5 rewards coupon.

Reaction score
You know... people are allowed to have different tastes and opinions about things. Many people do really love the Prequels.
Yes, but you said "they're better films," which is laughably untrue. I can prefer eating McDonald's to Five Guys, but it's in no way a "better burger." Sometimes you just have to admit that you like ****.

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I certainly wouldn't count a robe and its belt as accessories - they're part and parcel of the outfit, in the sense that it would be impossible to have the figure without them. By the same token, X Wing Luke's helmet IS a bona fide accessory because it would be perfectly acceptable to have him without it.

Reaction score
So could his head, in theory. Is the head an intrinsic part of Yoda's look? Yes, like the robe.

Reaction score
Because at this rate, they could give us a dismembered C3PO - in 5-6 pieces, and call them accessories.

Reaction score
TheRealDub said:
Star Wars fans are so cheap
I really wouldn't want to be the girlfriend/wife of some of the members of this board ...
So, because I won't foolishly spend my hard-earned money on an item that Hasbro is phoning in on, I'm cheap? Far from it. Just smart with my money. You probably are happy to buy these off eBay and think you are getting a bargain when you have to pay $40 for a Stormtrooper or a Fett because of Hasbro's horrible case assortments. Me? I can wait.

I don't pay more than I think an item is worth to me whether it be Star Wars items, food, a car, clothes, or even a house. I value my money, and if I don't think an item is worth me parting with it, then I don't. The Yoda that has been proposed so far isn't worth $20 to me. If it's decided that more accessories are thrown in for the release, my opinion may change, but I see a $10 item so far.

Reaction score
So, because I won't foolishly spend my hard-earned money on an item that Hasbro is phoning in on, I'm cheap? Far from it. Just smart with my money. You probably are happy to buy these off eBay and think you are getting a bargain when you have to pay $40 for a Stormtrooper or a Fett because of Hasbro's horrible case assortments. Me? I can wait.
Phoning in on? You really don't know much about the costs and production of action figures do you?

And horrible case assortments? When everything is even packed? And they're re-releasing Fett and Stormtrooper for people?
I don't pay more than I think an item is worth to me whether it be Star Wars items, food, a car, clothes, or even a house. I value my money, and if I don't think an item is worth me parting with it, then I don't. The Yoda that has been proposed so far isn't worth $20 to me. If it's decided that more accessories are thrown in for the release, my opinion may change, but I see a $10 item so far.
The point people are trying to make is that a lot of toy lines are costed out per wave, not per figure...

So releasing smaller figures or less complex figures allows them to dedicate more money to larger more complex figures. Like Chewbacca and Vader.

Reaction score
a wretched hive of scum and villiany...aka NJ
I find it funny that almost everything around us is increasing because of inflation but figures should not be affected. Back in the days a figure was $3. A slice of pizza was $.50. A slice of pizza is now $2, so a figure should be $12 if all things remained equal, but we have better articulation, better characters, and with the 6" line double the size. That alone makes it worth the $20. Is it worth the $35-40 secondary market for some? Probably not. Hasbro set out expectations too high when they lured us in with a accessories heavy Maul, R2, and Sandy.

Reaction score
You know what could be a cool accessory for Yoda? A Darth Vader head where the helmet's face is busted open and shows Luke's face inside. Just the head, and when the Vader figure comes out you can put those together to play out that scene on Dagobah. Plus it would give us an extra accessory for the small Yoda figure which might make people feel they're getting a little more for their money.

(Sorry if someone's mentioned that idea before, but I haven't seen it.)

Reaction score
A must buy for me. So far I have Fett, R2 and TK. Hoping to pick up a few others on sale later but this Yoda I'm willing to spend $20 on.

Reaction score
Phoning in on? You really don't know much about the costs and production of action figures do you?
Actually, I know quite a bit about it. I also know that when we are talking about the potential production numbers for a given figure, Yoda is light years beyond Greedo, Maul, young Obi-Wan, young Anakin, slave Leia, and a bunch of other figures that are being made or rumored to be made. Yoda will sell. He always had. The problem is that Hasbro knows it and feels that they can get away with phoning in on the figure. Yes, a figure which should be about half the size of R2 and 4 accessories, is definitely being phoned in.

And horrible case assortments? When everything is even packed? And they're re-releasing Fett and Stormtrooper for people?
Do you seriously believe that the Stormtrooper should have had the same case ratio as young Obi-Wan? How about the Sandtrooper and Maul? Fett and Greedo? Those are horrible case assortments. Hasbro/Kenner has been making Star Wars figures for 30 YEARS for crying out loud. If they are too stupid to know that the Stormtrooper or Fett would be in high demand, then they are too stupid to own the line. It's no wonder Lego has passed them. Do you EVER see a Lego set short-packed at retail? No. The only thing that has ever been short-packed was Mr. Gold and that was well publicized and they gave their reasons. Lego understands its fans. Hasbro still has no clue after 30 years.

The point people are trying to make is that a lot of toy lines are costed out per wave, not per figure...

So releasing smaller figures or less complex figures allows them to dedicate more money to larger more complex figures. Like Chewbacca and Vader.
So, you are going to be ok getting Wicket for $20? Jawa? R5-D4 (at least R2 came with a bunch of accessories, what's this thing going to have)? Snaggletooth? Power Droid? That's $100 right there. You going to be fine with that? What will they release that "allows them to dedicate more money to larger complex figures"? Well, there's FX-7, but that's a sure-fire pegwarmer, so don't count on it. So that leaves IG-88, Grevious and... well... there's... It's not going to balance out.

Back in the 12" figure days of Hasbro, they had $20 figures, which was all of the larger figures. When they did Yoda and the other smaller ones, they were cheaper. They had a different assortment for them, smaller packaging, required less shelf space in the stores. Why can't they do that here? Have the smaller line $14.99? At least then it would seem that Hasbro is trying to figure out how they fell behind Lego. They seem content to just rest on their laurels and phone it in with its cash cow known as Star Wars.

BTW, I take it back, knowing how Hasbro is terribly stupid with knowing their customer, I bet they will make an FX-7. He'll be all decked out, look great, cost the same as the others and be packed 3 to a case, while they short-pack the Jawa that comes in the same wave.