Yet another new "plastic free" box design ?

Reaction score
Yakface posted screenshots of possible three designs for Hasbros upcoming "Plastic-free" policy for 2022.

As a open-but-keep-the-box-collector, I couldn't care much, but these are pretty silly designs, IMO.
I really want to check for the best possible paint app when picking up in person. Not to speak about figure swappers and actually buy blind boxes then.
I think its kind of ironic to save a few miligrams of plastic for the window, for a toy completly made of plastic 🤪 and I can't see, them also ditch the inside tray

Reaction score
Yakface posted screenshots of possible three designs for Hasbros upcoming "Plastic-free" policy for 2022.

As a open-but-keep-the-box-collector, I couldn't care much, but these are pretty silly designs, IMO.
I really want to check for the best possible paint app when picking up in person. Not to speak about figure swappers and actually buy blind boxes then.
I think its kind of ironic to save a few miligrams of plastic for the window, for a toy completly made of plastic 🤪 and I can't see, them also ditch the inside tray
I will be displeased if Hasbro switches to a package design which does not allow me to have a good look at the figure without opening its box. I'm an opener, but I also like to inspect my figures before opening them (for things like warped helmets or bad paint apps). It's much easier to return a figure which hasn't been opened.

Maybe that's really the point of this, though? Fewer returns and more figures with QC issues purchased.

If Hasbro wants to use packaging with less plastic, and still allow us to have a good look at the figure, then their packaging for the deluxe Cad Bane and Armorer would be great! Unfortunately, I suspect that packaging costs more than they want to spend on most figures.

Reaction score
I’m an opener but as others have said I want to see the figure I’m buying. I predict the few in-store purchases I make will be going down in number even more if I can’t pick and choose paint apps. I’m all for eco friendly packaging but what’s shown here is pretty damn ugly.

Reaction score
I'm very sympathetic to the idea of environmentally-friendly packaging, but this will never fly with most collectors if they can't see the figure to check the paint etc.

I'm not sure that's even possible, but I think the best idea is indeed something like the Armorer/Cad Bane packaging as Tai-Gon Jair suggests above. Maybe they could engineer it so as to remove the bubble and just have the figure strapped in safely.

Reaction score
I buy almost all my collectibles online so I'm already in the situation of a mystery paint job and yes it does happen where you get a figure with bad paint. Eh, i really don't care. Although these would be more susceptible to figure swaps.

Reaction score
I don't see how this works from any kind of sales, marketing, or buying perspective, even for openers like me.

I hate twist ties with a passion, but if Hasbro is serious about an eco friendly solution, I think that's largely the "fix" here. Use those rope-ish "ties" for the figure and use a flat(ish?) card.

Maybe a tied down box enclosure for accessories? I dunno how those ties would work for small items.

GNT

Reaction score
It Doesn’t bother me what they do but it’ll be the luck of the draw on what you get paint wise Inside

Reaction score
I like the design of the pull away slip boxes they used for the Cad Bane and Deluxe armourer figures. Bit more cardboard but no plastic other than a couple of twist ties

Reaction score
I don’t buy all that many hasbro figures (I think maybe 10 or 12 in 2020, and that was more than usual) and most of them were ordered online. I can recall buying 3 figures in person last year. So, while as a gut reaction I dislike the idea of not being able to see the figure in the package, if I’m honest about it it doesn’t really make much difference.

If I have to open the figure to find out if it’s any good then so be it. I won’t have any qualms sending figures back to Amazon numerous times to get one I’m satisfied with if I have to. Of course, making them deliver and take back multiple opened copies probably completely negates any possible environmentally friendly benefits of eliminating the plastic window in the first place...

Also, depending on the return policies (and return shipping costs) it might make me less likely to order from online retailers other than Amazon.

Reaction score
They should utilize all the good toy photographers out there. Employ them to take great product photos, even though it heightens the risk of leaks, but it's also easier for them to terminate a such contract and employ a new photographer.
Use that for box art. Photographers get an early peek, get to toy around with the figure, can provide some feedback and shoot some awesome images.

As for the window... use biodegradable products. I believe there are more options than one.

Reaction score
Problems I would like Hasbro to address:
1) Supply chain- let collectors actually find your frigging product without having to wade through scalpers bots and big box stores that don't actually shelve their exclusives
2) Paint quality. Still havent found a Mace Windu who isnt severly cross eyed
3) Quality assurance: Maybe stop putting on two left feet and sending out figures that cant even stand on their own
4)-99998) So many minor niggles I dont have time to list from what happened to weapon packs, soft goods, vehicles, droids Hans Jacket and why cant you produce one female figure that looks half decent?
99999) Maybe reduce the use of plastic?

Reaction score
Problems I would like Hasbro to address:
1) Supply chain- let collectors actually find your frigging product without having to wade through scalpers bots and big box stores that don't actually shelve their exclusives
2) Paint quality. Still havent found a Mace Windu who isnt severly cross eyed
3) Quality assurance: Maybe stop putting on two left feet and sending out figures that cant even stand on their own
4)-99998) So many minor niggles I dont have time to list from what happened to weapon packs, soft goods, vehicles, droids Hans Jacket and why cant you produce one female figure that looks half decent?
99999) Maybe reduce the use of plastic?
I love your name and we need a figure of him! Except seeing the recent reveals, I would be worried what we get.

Reaction score
I will be displeased if Hasbro switches to a package design which does not allow me to have a good look at the figure without opening its box. I'm an opener, but I also like to inspect my figures before opening them (for things like warped helmets or bad paint apps). It's much easier to return a figure which hasn't been opened.

Maybe that's really the point of this, though? Fewer returns and more figures with QC issues purchased.

If Hasbro wants to use packaging with less plastic, and still allow us to have a good look at the figure, then their packaging for the deluxe Cad Bane and Armorer would be great! Unfortunately, I suspect that packaging costs more than they want to spend on most figures.
Heck, the vintage 12 inch figures had a plastic window that was half the size of the figure. Just make a smaller window to show off said figure.

Reaction score
There needs to be some type of window on these boxes. Otherwise, people will replace the figure inside with something else and return it easily.
Honestly, they do that now with window-boxed items. As long as Walmart and Amazon exist, swaps will persist.

Reaction score
At least at WM & Target b&m stores there is at least a minimal chance to catch figure swappers on returns. And, if not we can at least see the figure before we buy and/or open it.

I'd be fine if they reduced the display window by 1/3 or so lengthwise so at least the figure could still be mostly visible and only things like accessories are hidden. But, the figure has to be visible, or its a no go for me. The inside tray could also be swapped for cardboard and ties, and I think that'd be OK.

Reaction score
I remember answering a similar packaging survey on the old Hasbro Insiders group a long while ago.
Seems like Hasbro has had this potential "no plastic" idea in mind for quite a while now.

Reaction score
I'm not liking this idea at all. It's crossing into a blind box situation. You have to see the product to judge for yourself if is acceptable. There are going to be a lot of packages opened and "inspected" if they go this route.

Reaction score
This new packaging gets a big no from me. Hasbro's quality control is total farce at times when you have the likes of the squished helmets on the new mold Stormtroopers, Clones and now the RoTJ Boba Fett along with dodgy face paint on so many of the recent Hoth Luke's.

Reaction score
In the history of completely moronic ideas, this is pretty high up on the list. Are they trying to kill their profits, cause that's exactly what they'll do.

As a MOMC or MIMB collector, there would be absolutely no point for me to buy a boxed figure to put on display. Ooooh, look at all of my boxes!!!

For those that open their figures, as has been pointed out, with the totally inconsistent quality control, who knows how your figure will look. Oooooh, look, my figure has eyes on it's chin!

Swappers will have a field day. Considering all the swapped stuff I've seen that came on cards with blisters that never ever got caught, the swappers will be running rampant.

I wonder if this is just a ploy from Hasbro to jack up the prices even more on us. Well, if you want to keep the plastic windows, we'll have to charge more because of some plastics driven initiative/alternate plastic that "costs" more/etc.

So bottom line, they'll be losing money from MOMC/MIMB collectors quitting, from openers quitting and from theft due to swappers. Brilliant!!! Boxed vehicles are one thing, it's just the way they are. But we've been able to see the figures for going on 40 years now. This would be the end of the line for me. There would just be absolutely no point.

This is just about as dumb as ebay owning paypal which they made the mandatory form of payment so they could double dip their fees on everyone, then selling off paypal, THEN creating a new payment system that ebay created which is now mandatory. Huh??!!?!?!?

Reaction score
All the toy brands are moving in this direction. They seem to believe that customers will be consciously obbligated to do their part in buying their products.

Lego started with their Vidio CMF this year, and open about all plastic bags in the future to be 100% plant base or paper (dunno how that is saving the environment as it will slaughter more forestation).

Reaction score
All of those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Take heed Hasbro... Especially because of the suspect paint apps...
Mego:
The earliest dolls were released in a solid box, but these boxes were often damaged by shoppers who wanted to see the figure inside. The design was quickly changed to a "window" style box.

Save yourselves the greif. Just eliminate the plastic TRAY keep the window.

Reaction score
What I find totally hilarious about all these "save the world" comments when speaking about this topic, is that it's a very small drop in the bucket to what the real problem is that no one ever addresses and likely never will.

Not to mention the fact that Earth has survived more civilizations than the current one and will likely survive many more after we're gone.

Reaction score
The cries of how sales will drop,etc are pretty funny. Collectors buy a majority of their figures from online retailers and scalpers sight unseen,so what difference does it being in a box make?

Reaction score
But this time around we are eliminating the plastic to save the planet. Remember Lobotscomb, the world is going to end in less than ten years now, since some officials first announced it. Every little counts, and windowless boxes for figures now will buy us a few more weeks of existence.
You reminded me of the panic steered by Al Gore in the early 2000's, where his "qualified" followers predicted utter doom by 2015...

Last edited:
Reaction score
What I find totally hilarious about all these "save the world" comments when speaking about this topic, is that it's a very small drop in the bucket to what the real problem is that no one ever addresses and likely never will.

Not to mention the fact that Earth has survived more civilizations than the current one and will likely survive many more after we're gone.
Very true. Especially how the media is pumping the rush to buy electric cars, yet the manufacturing of those batteries and the power stations to keep them going is a full 180 turn in the opposite direction of being 'environmentally friendly'. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reaction score
But this time around we are eliminating the plastic to save the planet. Remember Lobotscomb, the world is going to end in less than ten years now, since some officials first announced it. Every little counts, and windowless boxes for figures now will buy us a few more weeks of existence.
If they were really THAT concerned they wouldn't pump out a ton of crappy repaints. Fairly certain PVC plastic is more harmful when thrown away than acetate plastics used in packaging....
maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction score
People "use " the figure though, whereas almost everyone throws out everything else. I tend to open 10 or so tvc figures at a time and there is SO MUCH trash.

The 2nd packaging design looks like it doesn't have trays, as you can see the twist tie around the figure.

Reaction score
Yeah, anyone saying, “they should absolutely get rid of the windows because we’re killing the planet but I’m still willing to support a company that uses an insane amount of plastic on their products and I still buy them when if I really cared as much as I’m making it sound like I do I in fact wouldn’t be buying any of their stuff” is kind of a hypocrite.

Reaction score
People "use " the figure though, whereas almost everyone throws out everything else. I tend to open 10 or so tvc figures at a time and there is SO MUCH trash.

The 2nd packaging design looks like it doesn't have trays, as you can see the twist tie around the figure.
A simple window box like the old hasbro 12 inchers.