Yavin IV Temple Playset Concept

Reaction score
I wanted another playset template, building on the experience I had gained on the last two, but wanted something different. So I decided to tackle the secret Rebel Base on Yavin IV.

Once again this is built from chipboard, with pieces that slot together and come back apart for easy flatpacking. The graphics printed on the board are my own design, drawn up in Photoshop.

Features this time around include five environments for play (Tactical Room, Throne Room (with pop-up stage,) Hangar Bay, Ops Center, and Rooftop) and a Guard Tower. The Ops Center features movable tactical plot screens and a big holotank table. There are doors between the rooms on the bottom level.

This one was a lot of fun to design and create. The Death Star and Cloud City I had floorplans for dating back probably ten years, they were just a matter of doing it finally. This one was all-new, except for the graphics for the holotank and the big video screen (those I had made in '08 for my Rebellion shelf display.) I definitely wanted to do a 180 from the others at every possible opportunity. Thus, tall profile, hard angles instead of curves, only 3 walls, large open second level...and I really enjoyed being able to pull off the guard tower as a part of the set.

As always, comments are appreciated very much. Thanks for looking!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I think it is kind of neat and that most people would be interested in if for the Ops centre.

My biggest concern is that the areas themselves are not visually interesting (not your fault at all - you rendered them just fine! the set itself was just brick walls.). The hanger might be improved if at least one side was an illusion of a deeper hanger filled with vehicles. If possible, I'd extend the floor so an X Wing could actually fit in it.

Another concern is that the areas themselves are not as "playable" as your other two amazing creations. This would be a great piece for displaying figures (Ceremony chamber or Briefing room) but most of the rooms don't have much action or were not exciting in the movie.

Could the shape be changed to be more ziggurate-like?
Are there details that could be added (floor lights and wires in the hanger)?

Perhaps I don't remember how I played with my toys as a child and that Pilots never interested me so I'm not the demographic you are looking for. Your first two got me really excited and I actually wanted to build them. This one doesn't do much for me (except the Op Center).

Sorry I couldn't be as enthused about this one.

Reaction score
:grin: No problem, Utinniii. I will take a "less enthused" lengthy review any day of the week.

Not exciting? We saw people talking here! We saw plans made, ships loaded, friends reunited...no bad guys whatsoever...

I absolutely get what you're saying. Had the Imperials invaded the base or had there been some kind of battle, this would certainly lend itself more to play-time. As it is, it works as a display for the many Rebel figures, and play would depend on imaginary situations. Still, as a kid I loved "bases."

Could definitely be made more "ziggurat"--I chose "pyramidal" because I was looking for a triangular/three-side silhouette. Even just chunking out the actual sides of the stone blocks on the existing three walls would get it closer to that look (The "real" temple has five sides, I believe.)

As for the hangar, I guess I just envision parking X-Wings and Y-Wings just off the playset's base.

I went all-out on stuff for the Ops-Center, I really wanted to make those tactical screens work, and I think they do, especially giving the background to the big holotank.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Here are some pictures with figures to give a better sense of the scale of it all. These are the bottom floor scenes...

Thanks for checking it out!

Reaction score
And here are the upper levels...

I enjoyed the tactical screen challenge. I hadn't done printing for clear sheets before, and it was a bit of mental gymnastics figuring out how to get printout skins, cardboard bones, and acetate to all function together. Should make the Echo Base tactical screens easier to figure out when the time comes. :weeabooface:

And the exterior pieces...I had fun throwing in a tropical background on these...

The temple rooftop was never used in the movie, but it's a great place to let the New Jedi Order hang out...

Thanks!

Utinniii

Reaction score
That last pic needs the bunny jedi!

The playset looks better with the figures.

I had the idea of extending the docking bay floor and adding a freestanding hanger door, something that could be defended. If you get into the modular idea it could be a separate playset.

Reaction score
Love the design and concept. It works for me.....I can imagine as a kid readying the rebel fleet as I then load the x and y-wing for attack on the death star (play set) and trying to convince Han to help. The two sets go hand in hand..... Well done!

Reaction score
Loving all the custom displays you are making. The designs, layouts, etc. the only thing is to me is they appear more like playsets from the 90s, and not the hand drawn, often goofy sets of the 80s.

Reaction score
Loving all the custom displays you are making. The designs, layouts, etc. the only thing is to me is they appear more like playsets from the 90s, and not the hand drawn, often goofy sets of the 80s.
Guilty as charged! A Yavin IV playset made in the vintage style would probably be more like Land of the Jawas/Creature Cantina--vacformed base with cardboard backdrop. And there aren't any vintages figures except X-Wing Luke to hang out there.

In my mind these are all an extension of the Cantina and Jabba's Palace "Pop-Up Diorama" display line from 97-98. That line should have been a successful add-on to the figure line, but the timing was off and the introduction was bungled. They basically sold Cantinas for a year through mail order and the Fan Club before introducing Jabba's Palace, but then didn't make the second one available the same way. And due to the glut of '98 they never found a spot on retailer's shelves. A third was designed--Echo Base Hangar--but got held back from the initial wave (because they wanted to redesign it--it was just a two-foot wide empty room with a colorful backdrop) and then the line was scrapped before more could be done.

My drive is to make these available to anyone who wants them, if you feel that gap is there in your collection then I think it is high time to fill it! The last straw for me was no playsets/dioramas/environments at all in the TFA line. Hasbro doesn't want to do it, but I do! So drop me a line if you're interested in purchasing any of these! I hope to be able to keep doing this for a long, long time. [/sales pitch]

Utinniii

Reaction score
I hope you get lots of orders. A lot of collectors need good display areas or places to play. These seem much sturdier than the cardboard ones of the 70's and 80's.
They are also great for people that want a diorama but don't have the confidence/skills to do it.

I mentioned in a different thread that you should make paper boxes and other accessories. While I still think you should do that (only like the 3D puzzles) your pic of the docking bay gave me another idea. You could make that transport yourself. It would be boxy but still fun. You could also make the fueling tanks. They could be could separately.

This is what I was thinking one hanger wall could look like.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I love it for exactly what it is; it reminds me of the Death Star Toltoys model! Great work!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support.

Daigo_Bah, so good to see you still around and plugging away at this stuff too. Looking back, it was stuff of yours--I'm talking about Beru's Kitchen and the Jedi Research Droid Lab back in 02-03--that really helped propel me to being a "fully actualized diorama builder." Good times!

And even though I talked about these being POTF2 era designs, I still love that vintage box look, so...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you choose this guy at random or because he looks like Tony Stark playing with his computer?
Totally random. Well, I always liked the looks of the figure and he was in the "play with" bin, plus I needed rebels to flesh out the base. I see the Tony Stark though now that you mention it.

(I keep hoping to see another playset from you!)
Three more in the works right now. Dividing my time like that is probably not the best for cranking them out, but I exhausted what I wanted to do in the "Palitoy Death Star" style and am moving into different footprints. Two of them are interior/exterior playsets proper (like one of my favorite non-Star Wars toys as a kid, the Marx Navarone Playset...)

...though I'm still working in my new trademark medium: chipboard.

And the third one (which I will probably finish building first) is enormous and based off this Hasbro leak from a few years back:

Thanks for the interest. It is encouraging!

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
And the third one (which I will probably finish building first) is enormous and based off this Hasbro leak from a few years back:

Are you meaning the one the designer put in the window seal of the office to show off right? I think i remember those pics somewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one. I was very excited to see what the finished project was going to look like, but that leak was 7 years ago and from everything I've heard even at that point the design was already a few years old. I've given up hope on them (now watch it come out in the fall to tie into "Rogue One." :eek:)

Goes back to what I've said before: Hasbro intended to bring us a line of cardboard playsets continuing on from the pop-up dioramas. It's just fallen to me to fulfill those intentions.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Three more in the works right now. Dividing my time like that is probably not the best for cranking them out, but I exhausted what I wanted to do in the "Palitoy Death Star" style and am moving into different footprints. Two of them are interior/exterior playsets proper (like one of my favorite non-Star Wars toys as a kid, the Marx Navarone Playset...)

...though I'm still working in my new trademark medium: chipboard.

Dividing your time between them is an excellent idea IMHO. Instead of getting bored/frustrated with one, you can keep up your enthusiasm on all three by doing what you want.
Oftentimes, while you are working on one, your subconsciousness is solving the problems of another so that is good too.
Finally, you might be saving time because you might be using the same tool/ thought process for all three at the same time.

(Just don't be like me when you start more projects than you can finish!)

Your third project is what I always envisioned doing when I was younger. However, I hated the necessity of the base. I never saw the Hasbro prototype but it sounds like what I envisioned.

If you are in fact making another Deathstar perhaps your base could have (an off scale and upside down) image of the laser disk on one face and have 2-3 sides being the trench. Other sides can be generic exterior surface, a Hanger entrance, and images of the cannons. Kids with micromachines could use these surfaces for roleplaying the final battle. (Would be good pics for the box too!)

Instead of the dowel center, could you make it a narrow elevator shaft? Doors could open on other levels.
I'm not sure about structural integrity, but if 1/4 if it didn't need the equator board, you could make an amazing DS chasm for Luke/Leia to swing over. (The inserts from the other floorboards could be the door frame "lips" on the chasm side.
L1: Platform for Ben to turn off tractor beam. (Have a small drill hole on floor to attach hook) This level could have the higher Storm troopers firing on Luke.
L2: Luke/Leia platform (possibly with a removable bridge)
L3/4: Chasm with or without functioning doors/removable bridges
L4 alternative: Have the walkway to the elevators leading to the Detention block (unfortunately this should be at the top, not the bottom but it is still OK visually.)

I wouldn't make this part of the kit, but I would put the whole thing on a Lazy Susan so it could spin. (A Lazy Susan is a large spinning plate for condiments).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great minds think alike...does the left side of this look like the chasm you were describing, Utinniii?

The little Stormtrooper Pig (Star Wars Angry Birds toy) is standing on the platform for the Tractor Beam controls. Below that is where Luke and Leia would swing. Above them is the elevator hallway. Top is a landing pad big enough for anything up to and including the BMF. Very very bottom floor of the chasm is the Superlaser control room where the DS Gunners hang out.

No elevator tube, alas. I suspect that is what the brown tube is in the Hasbro version too, a stand in for a functioning piece they would have made out of plastic.

I made this mock-up out of spare corrugated cardboard just to get a feel for the dimensions before I committed to designing the patterns for all the walls. This version has about 4 times the wall space (not to mention 5 levels as opposed to 2) as the little Palitoy-style one I already made. It is a monster!

(My 6 year-old son has since commandeered the mock-up as his own personal playset, hence I have to take pictures while he is playing with it.)

Utinniii

Reaction score
Yes, but even better, especially since the elevator is on the top!

I like the new base too. It keeps the shape and yet still has a large enough base to play with. It also removes the trench area I mentioned before.

The landing pad would be better with an image of the large elevator shaft (that the Stormies fall into).

I hope a least one set of doors are blast doors )"Close the blast doors...open the blast doors").

I also think it is great that the rooms are different sizes. The conference room and the "Watch Alderaan blow up room" both need to be bigger!

If you were just making one of these, an elevator could still be added, but since you intend to sell these, I suspect that the added price increase wouldn't be worth it.

You could later make a separate playset of the ROTJ final duel. It the base was designed to sit flush with this Deathstar landing platform that would be amazing!

I think I mentioned that I considered building something like this before but changed the idea into a bookcase sized/shaped DS instead. You might have just changed my mind again to a sphere shaped DS. The main differences between you ideas and mine are, I want realistic walls that are textured and yours are stylized and you are actually making it whereas I only dream about it (and a paper cutter machine to make the wall panels).

Reaction score
The landing pad would be better with an image of the large elevator shaft (that the Stormies fall into).
Not just an image, the final version will have a cut out in the floor for the elevator that lines up with the chasm. That will be a long fall down.

I hope a least one set of doors are blast doors )"Close the blast doors...open the blast doors").
Quite a few blast door doorways, at least one per level. Still figuring out the best way to "close the blast doors." I think it may just have a piece that attaches to one side of the wall to pull off the effect.

I also think it is great that the rooms are different sizes. The conference room and the "Watch Alderaan blow up room" both need to be bigger!
Yep. Both of those are 'double sized" rooms.

You could later make a separate playset of the ROTJ final duel. It the base was designed to sit flush with this Deathstar landing platform that would be amazing!
That was always the plan!

I think I mentioned that I considered building something like this before but changed the idea into a bookcase sized/shaped DS instead. You might have just changed my mind again to a sphere shaped DS. The main differences between you ideas and mine are, I want realistic walls that are textured and yours are stylized and you are actually making it whereas I only dream about it (and a paper cutter machine to make the wall panels).
Have you ever seen my very first http://forum.rebelscum.com/t875995/ from 12 years ago? :hmm: Lots of old, low-quality pictures in that ancient thread...

and my Death Star/Star Destroyer Bridge hybrid Imperial Shelf Display:

(And now I think this Yavin IV Temple thread has officially become hijacked by the Death Star.)

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Not just an image, the final version will have a cut out in the floor for the elevator that lines up with the chasm. That will be a long fall down.

KEWL!!!

Quite a few blast door doorways, at least one per level. Still figuring out the best way to "close the blast doors." I think it may just have a piece that attaches to one side of the wall to pull off the effect.

That would be the easiest. Even in the movies/TV shows, they usually has some guys physically opening/closing the doors.

Yep. Both of those are 'double sized" rooms.

Good. They really need to be. The main monitor might be nice if the image could be changed (Alderaan before/after, Yavin)

That was always the plan!

We really do think alike! When I mentioned my bookshelf DS it was very similar (but much bigger) to your modular DS. I had seen yours before but didn't know it was you.

Since I have no interest in selling or mass producing mine, I prefer the 3D walls in the modular one.

Have you ever seen my very first http://forum.rebelscum.com/t875995/ from 12 years ago? :hmm: Lots of old, low-quality pictures in that ancient thread...

and my Death Star/Star Destroyer Bridge hybrid Imperial Shelf Display:

(And now I think this Yavin IV Temple thread has officially become hijacked by the Death Star.)
The Deathstar is now in range!!

We can get back on topic if you make any revisions to the temple. :)

Reaction score
Here are some pictures with figures to give a better sense of the scale of it all. These are the bottom floor scenes...

Thanks for checking it out!

LOOKS AMAZING. I still haven't had a chance to set up the Death Star or Bespin sets I got from you..... been super busy with work and the kids and just trying to find the time to set them up has been few and far in between.

Reaction score
LOOKS AMAZING. I still haven't had a chance to set up the Death Star or Bespin sets I got from you..... been super busy with work and the kids and just trying to find the time to set them up has been few and far in between.
Thanks!

One of my favorite parts about the concept on these playsets is that they are designed to be put together for play and taken back apart for storage in a small space.

I remember needing to do that with my Death Star from '78 as a kid...eventually all the support struts were broken from building and tearing down. Hopefully these designs will hold up better over the long term!

Reaction score
The Navarone playset. That brings back memories. That was so much fun. We even used it with the SW figures once in a while.

Really like the Yavin base you made.

Reaction score
These playsets are great. Loved the 1990s POTF2 Jabba Palace and Cantina versions. You make some great stuff.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Bumping this for more Rogue 1 love.

I was just watching the Ewoks cartoons for the first time. When I saw Horrville's Hut of Horrors, I thought you could make a really cool playset out of it (including cardboard monsters).

I actually designed (in my head), a couple of cool playsets, one was a 3 level Hoth Rebel post exterior 1 side, interior other side, but life got busy and sadly, I never made sketches of them.

Reaction score
Bumping this for more Rogue 1 love.
if only, right?

I was just watching the Ewoks cartoons for the first time. When I saw Horrville's Hut of Horrors, I thought you could make a really cool playset out of it (including cardboard monsters).
Haven't seen Ewoks since watching them on Saturday mornings as a kid. Sounds fun!

I actually designed (in my head), a couple of cool playsets, one was a 3 level Hoth Rebel post exterior 1 side, interior other side, but life got busy and sadly, I never made sketches of them.
As is so often the case, me too!

(...well, except that I made sketches...:sneaky: )

My family moved in 1980 and my older brother and I used one of the moving boxes afterward to build our own Echo Base. It was my first ever diorama/playset! I plan to revisit the idea someday soon.

Reaction score
Dredged this thread back up out of the bowels because I recently updated the designs for this set:

I also updated the mechanics of the guard tower to streamline the look of it:

It also allowed me to set up an alternate version of the Rogue One ending that I like to call "Everybody made it:"

And while taking these pictures my oldest son and I enjoyed setting up a siege by King Kong himself (along with his pet Goliathon):

As always, thanks for looking!

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news about Jan Dodonna :( And it was a real shocker when Chirrut Imwe traded on the rebels and went with the Kong crew lol

Really like the updates! Keep up the great work!