X-Wing Pilot Asty

Reaction score
Wouldn't Ackbar, Chewbacca, and Nien Nunb constitute "a few" established species returning? ^

Reaction score
Totally, but I think that's it. I've only seen it once mind you, so maybe I missed some people in the background. That's something I'd like to see in the next movie. Just a minor nitpick I have with the movie.

Reaction score
Was good to see he wasn't a blink-and-you-missed-him character in the movie. Glad i purchased the 3.75". He was quite cool&collected in the movie if i remember correctly.

Reaction score
he looks like the same speicies that you see on Jakku when the first order turn up first and round up the settlers so I guess they are from there. on a side note anyone happend to get the SA black seires poe and swap the heads to see if it would fit ?

It didn't look exactly like a Bothan to me, but I can see it.
It looks almost identical to another creature we saw on the resistance base (I think it was the one that was shouting about not having enough ships left).

Reaction score
So does Ello Asty die??

Just got back from seeing it a third time. During the assault on Starkiller base, Poe says "Red 4, Red 6 cover me", then the black guy (assume Red 4?) says "OK", then Ello Asty (assume Red 6?) says "on our way" and you see a shot of 5 X-Wings (Poe, Jess Pava, the Scottish guy, black guy and Asty) fly into the trench. Then an X-Wing gets hit and you clearly see in Astys cockpit, sparks flying and he says "I've been hit", then you see an X-Wing crash. Then three Xwings fly off (assume Jess, Scottish guy and black guy?) To leave Poe to do his final run, then Starkiller Base blows up, then 7 Xwings (Poe, Jess, Nien, Snap, Scottish guy, black guy and someone else?) Fly back to D'Qar...

Then when Rey flies off with Chewie to find Luke it does am aerial panning shot of the Resistance waving them off. I saw Nien in the front row, then a couple people over ELLO ASTY IS STANDING RIGHT THERE?! WHAT THE HECK?!

Unless it's just another Abednedo pilot?? (Thatd be annoying?)

Reaction score
I know the galaxy is big but a few established species would have been nice
One of my few complaints is the lack of Twi'leks, Rodians, Ithorians, Quarren, Weequay, etc. Rebels has done a great job of showing various species which goes a long way in making it feel a part of the greater shared universe. A Twi'lek Resistance pilot or an Ithorian in Maz's stronghold would've been great to see, and made us hardcore and longstanding fans feel even more connected.

So does Ello Asty die??

Just got back from seeing it a third time. During the assault on Starkiller base, Poe says "Red 4, Red 6 cover me", then the black guy (assume Red 4?) says "OK", then Ello Asty (assume Red 6?) says "on our way" and you see a shot of 5 X-Wings (Poe, Jess Pava, the Scottish guy, black guy and Asty) fly into the trench. Then an X-Wing gets hit and you clearly see in Astys cockpit, sparks flying and he says "I've been hit", then you see an X-Wing crash. Then three Xwings fly off (assume Jess, Scottish guy and black guy?) To leave Poe to do his final run, then Starkiller Base blows up, then 7 Xwings (Poe, Jess, Nien, Snap, Scottish guy, black guy and someone else?) Fly back to D'Qar...

Then when Rey flies off with Chewie to find Luke it does am aerial panning shot of the Resistance waving them off. I saw Nien in the front row, then a couple people over ELLO ASTY IS STANDING RIGHT THERE?! WHAT THE HECK?!

Unless it's just another Abednedo pilot?? (Thatd be annoying?)
  Spoiler:  
He dead.

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
He dead.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I assumed. So who's the other abednedo xwing pilot at the end then? Unless it's a continuity error?

Reaction score

Continuity error apparently.

Great! So less than 3 years into the "new Canon" and we're already having to retcon continuity errors!

Reaction score

Continuity error apparently.

Great! So less than 3 years into the "new Canon" and we're already having to retcon continuity errors!
So I can just keep Asty around as the unnamed pilot until we get a repaint with whatever markings this other guy has. Makes me feel a little better about the figure. (Which is odd, because I have plenty of characters who die in the films. But Asty's small role plus getting killed really bugs me for some reason.)

Reaction score
So I can just keep Asty around as the unnamed pilot until we get a repaint with whatever markings this other guy has. Makes me feel a little better about the figure. (Which is odd, because I have plenty of characters who die in the films. But Asty's small role plus getting killed really bugs me for some reason.)

Don't worry, it bugs a lot of us. For some reason, though, I was still inclined to buy the 6" figure when I saw it. Maybe I'm just desperate for something new.

Reaction score
Anyone notice what droid Asty flew with? The new cockpits are so tight, you can't see the droid behind the pilots. The cutaway scenes are so fast, I could only glimpse a couple (and forget them).

Utinniii

Reaction score
It looks like the repack of him has an orange (not yellow!) visor. I may pick him up on sale.
When Asty first came out and I finally found him I was very underwhelmed. I wasn't going to but a figure for just a chin. That same day I came across this figure for a couple of bucks and decided to make a new character, Ary Anilow.

If you are wondering who the squib is, it is a custom. Her name was Lola.

Reaction score
If the new Asty has an orange visor instead of the yellow, I may have to pick it up for the mere variation factor. Kinda cool.
But I'm beginning to suspect it was just a production photo editing mishap.

Reaction score
Well, I caved.

I said I'd never buy a pilot figure with a painted visor, but like a few in here have speculated the chances of us getting a better version of Asty with more articulation, removeable helmet and see-thru visor are kinda slim. Even if we do get one, it'll probably be some time from now. So I picked up this pegwarmer that I passed over a few times.

Aside from the visor, he's not a bad figure. But what bothers me even more than the solid visor is the lack of detail on the helmet. One of the reasons I enjoy buying rebel (or in this case, resistance) pilots is for the unique markings on their helmets. So using the 6" version of Ello as reference, I used paint and inkjet decals to improve on the bland helmet and make it more movie accurate. It's tough printing decals this small.. but so far I think it's turning out decent.

Still, it makes me miss the days when we could buy a figure with movie accurate details.

Reaction score
Am I imagining things, or is the Asty in the revision case painted with a different skin tone than his predecessor? Will examine tomorrow.

Reaction score
I'm not to sure on the skin tone but i've seen a few photos of him with an Orange visor on ebay/amazon and a few websites selling this figure,anyone actually have one or seen one, as i have about 6 of these figures (from different places,of which the orange visor is the figure shown for sale) and all have turned out to be the yellow visor one.Is this an early prototype/variant stock photo or something?

Reaction score
I think those are just stock photos. I haven't seen any confirmed samples getting out to shelves that way.

Reaction score
I'm not to sure on the skin tone but i've seen a few photos of him with an Orange visor on ebay/amazon and a few websites selling this figure,anyone actually have one or seen one, as i have about 6 of these figures (from different places,of which the orange visor is the figure shown for sale) and all have turned out to be the yellow visor one.Is this an early prototype/variant stock photo or something?
General rule of thumb to save you lots of money--- check eBay for in-hand photos of any figure in question. If you can't find at least one person selling it with an in-hand pic, it probably does not exist.

Reaction score
Yeah i guess that would make sense,i had a few shipping errors at the start of collecting this line (i was sent multiple Ezra Bridger figures with helmet off,when i wanted the one with it on,and had to send a few Kylo Rens back too) so i always ask questions before buying,especially off ebay.

I never bought 6 Asty's for the orange visor btw lol (i wanted to build up a small army of rebel pilot's first and foremost,although i would like to get hold of one if they ever exsisted), i just noticed the colour difference on the visor and wondered if there were real tbh.

Reaction score
Well, I caved.

I said I'd never buy a pilot figure with a painted visor, but like a few in here have speculated the chances of us getting a better version of Asty with more articulation, removeable helmet and see-thru visor are kinda slim. Even if we do get one, it'll probably be some time from now. So I picked up this pegwarmer that I passed over a few times.

Aside from the visor, he's not a bad figure. But what bothers me even more than the solid visor is the lack of detail on the helmet. One of the reasons I enjoy buying rebel (or in this case, resistance) pilots is for the unique markings on their helmets. So using the 6" version of Ello as reference, I used paint and inkjet decals to improve on the bland helmet and make it more movie accurate. It's tough printing decals this small.. but so far I think it's turning out decent.

Still, it makes me miss the days when we could buy a figure with movie accurate details.

Cool! Where do you get those inkjet decals? Office supply stores?

Reaction score
Cool! Where do you get those inkjet decals? Office supply stores?
I found the decal paper on Ebay, it wasn't all that expensive either. I got a few sheets of the transparent and a few sheets of white. The white paper is a bit harder to work with than the transparent as the white seems to fall apart pretty easy when you're applying the decal so you have to be careful.

You can make some really intricate designs using the decals that would be pretty much impossible if you tried to paint them. They can really make your customs stand out.

Reaction score
Greetings ...

... about the orange visor, it's stupid of hasbro to spread pictures like this around, just like they are a poor company, and can not fix this or put an small msg on their website watch ouf " yellow version only " ...
Last week i order one from the UK that promised me that it was a orange visor, recieve them with the yellow version. A friend of mine, same issue, it seems only the UK offers Asty with orange visor.

Reaction score
I bought a head from an eBay seller to make a removable helmet version.

Reaction score
Is there a sculpt to use for that? I didn't think that species had an uncovered appearance. He always reminded me of the Horsehead Pilot. lol

I was waiting for this figure to go on a massive clearance so I could swap the head over to an extra SA Poe. But I would always prefer a helmet-less version.

Reaction score
Is there a sculpt to use for that? I didn't think that species had an uncovered appearance. He always reminded me of the Horsehead Pilot. lol

I was waiting for this figure to go on a massive clearance so I could swap the head over to an extra SA Poe. But I would always prefer a helmet-less version.
In the film there were, but in terms of the 3.75", no. However, the 6" Asty had a removable helmet and I imagine good customizers could make a mold and shrink it.

Reaction score
Finally decided to get a second C'ai Threnalli to give my Asty a better body.

I may try my hand at painting and paint the C'ai helmet to match Asty's but it'll be a while before I try that. I do plan to change the lower parts of his legs so that the pants cover his boot though.