Wrecked X-Wing

Reaction score
So the story behind this diorama is I bought a Kenner X-Wing with unbroken wings at a flea market to rebuild my childhood X-Wing. The wings on mine were both broken and irreparable thanks to attempts to glue them in my youth. After the rebuild, I was left with a decent body and broken wings. I didn't want to just throw it away or try to sell pieces, so I started thinking about how I could use it in some some of display.

Enter Rebelscum, where I discovered people building dioramas, something I hadn't given much thought to before. So I began over a month ago putting together an idea for a crash in the desert scene. I have experience with miniature wargame modeling, including terrain, so I applied that knowledge to the build. I started with foamcore as the base, but moved to quarter inch fiberboard when the foamcore proved too weak to support the weight.

The base is beach sand glued down with PVA glue and painted over with a light tan paint. Darker washes of different colors were applied fairly randomly to simulate natural variations in color, and then the whole thing was dry brushed in lighter shades of the base color up to pure white.

The rocks are styrofoam shaped with a hot wire cutter, coated with glue, and painted the same base color. They received two washes of red and black tones, and were dry brushed same as the base.

The ship and pieces are placed on the base and not glued down, so I can change it up when I feel like it. The figures are a PotF Tusken Raider and a black series Dutch Vander. I have another head I'm going to paint up with cuts and bruises, and replace the stock head with. I also want to get some other accessories to add, like a little survival kit to set on the wing in front of the pilot.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Mark

Reaction score
Very impressive! I really like the shading and colours of the rock, looks fantastic. Would love to see more of your work.

Reaction score
Very nice. Is that an roiginal X-wing?
Yep, that's a Kenner X-Wing. I bought it for its intact wings to rebuild my original. When I was done I had two broken wings and a body with non-working electronics and a broken wing mechanism. I didn't want to try to sell it, because it there was little left to it, so this idea popped into my head.