Woman's Day Hoth playset recreated (photos)

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! First time posting on here, but I've been collecting vintage for about five years and have always found this forum to be a peerless source of information on the hobby and I'm looking forward to getting more involved in the community :)

Anyway, by way of introduction here's some photos of a project I've been working on for a few weeks which I hope some of you will find of interest. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the custom Hoth playset photos published in a 1980 issue of Woman's Day magazine, which got a great write-up on the SWCA by Ron Salvatore:

http://theswca.com/images-speci/womansday2/index.html

Well here's my attempt at recreating it based on the original instructions, complete with working 'personnel launchers'! It ended up being fairly pricey and I'll probably be picking bits of styrofoam and glitter out of my carpet for the rest of my life but its certainly been fun project. Hope you enjoy them, and I've some more photos showing it at various stages of completion if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome! I wonder how many people actually built that thing. Great job!

Reaction score
Looks great!!! I may have to give this a try when I get some free time.

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for sharing. All you need now is the diecast Snowspeeder and Slave I. B)
And a comically undersized Falcon for Chewie! Would love to recreate all the old photos but as you can see I'm a bit short on snowtroopers and rebel soldiers. I do have a gingham shirt a bit like the kid in the photo though...

Reaction score
That is absolutely gorgeous. And thanks for including the link to the article. Nice work, and welcome to the boards!

Reaction score
That is awesome! I fondly remember pouring over the pics of both this and the "Outer Space Station" in my mom's Woman's Day mags. So cool that you actually built one and it came out great!

Reaction score
Nice, I've never seen the both one before. I'm not a fan of the outer space station. I like the Hoth one.

Reaction score
I have always admired these custom built dioramas. I did start on one for tatooine . One day I will finish it.

Nice job.

For some strange reason, hoth is my favorite. I was born and raised in Connecticut and moved to Florida when I was 20. I hate the cold. I do like snow and always played in it. Of course when I got old enough to drive or shovel the driveway, it lost its luster.

Reaction score
The next celebration needs to have all the sets from Woman's day built and the same figures on it to reproduce the awesome article pictures!!!!!