With those hands / claws / pincers / pseudopods

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here's a version of the "Infinite Map" with the four days "flaps" empty, so that you can write down these important events by yourself

"blank events" version of the map

The assembling ibstructions are still the same as described earlier of course!

Reaction score
Ok, so let me just state up front that this involves that OTHER "Star" franchise that Jason sometimes brings up.

Over on The Replica Prop Forum (Philip Wise's other fun web site) they are having a contest for making up your own Star Trek communicator. Since we're called "Tallest Jawa" on that site too, we thought it would be funny for the winning entry in a Trek contest to be a Jawa. So if you want to help us win, vote for #8 at this site:

Vote for Tallest Jawa

Thanks for your support.

Edit: Voting is over. We won! Thank you all.

Reaction score
Guys, that communicator is FANTASTIC! It'd get my vote even if you weren't responsible for it. (Of course, the walnut was a close second!)

Reaction score
Great work! You have my vote.

I was amused by the "politics" of a prop-building contest and use of Photoshop.

Reaction score
Womp said:
Great work! You have my vote.

I was amused by the "politics" of a prop-building contest and use of Photoshop.
Those guys really take things seriously, don't they?

Glad we're not like they!

I really liked the Jawas' and ZombieKiller's best, though.
Of course, I'm playing (voting) for the home team.

Reaction score
shazbazzar said:
I really liked the Jawas' and ZombieKiller's best, though.
Of course, I'm playing (voting) for the home team.
Thanks for your support. (To ALL of you guys. Its been said before, but I'll say it again, this group is the best.)

I said on that other group that if you put all of ZombieKiller's lights and knobs and put them inside my outer shell, it would be truly awesome.

Reaction score
TallestJawa said:
So if you want to help us win, vote for #8 at this site:

Vote for Tallest Jawa

... even though it's Stir Track
It's the Jawa's! Of course I voted!

(actually I've enjoyed Trek on several occasions - but I prefer Fanboy culture over science fiction societies).

We should have a Star Wars Communicator challenge. I've always wanted to hold a death star one - the cylyndrical black & white one.

Reaction score
Sheldon said:
We should have a Star Wars Communicator challenge. I've always wanted to hold a death star one - the cylyndrical black & white one.
Those RPF guys have done pretty much everything from Star Wars. Here is a photo of aluminum Trooper comlinks they were selling for $40 - $55 U.S. in 2009. Or you could do what we did and just use the remote from this toy.

BTW, we are NOT #1 in the contest anymore.
Voting ends tomorrow. I am not telling anyone to cheat, but it is good for you to know that you can vote from ANY computer or a different browser or even your cell phone, if you already voted once. (I am sure Eric even knows other ways, like clearing cookies or such.) Remember wives and children are eligible to vote, too!

Reaction score
Sheldon said:
People have made those before, not much to it really.

The talent of people on sites like the RPF is simply amazing, and the level of detail is borderline insanity. There isn't much people can't make.

Reaction score
TallestJawa said:
BTW, we are NOT #1 in the contest anymore.
Voting ends tomorrow. I am not telling anyone to cheat, but it is good for you to know that you can vote from ANY computer or a different browser or even your cell phone, if you already voted once. (I am sure Eric even knows other ways, like clearing cookies or such.) Remember wives and children are eligible to vote, too!
TallestJawa wins!
In a most Jawa-esque fashion (which upset a couple of the Trekkies).
Jawas are scavengers, repurposing what they find and presenting it in a new light. Perfect!

What prize are y'all going to select?

Reaction score
Wow, the people on the losing end are a little touchy, aren't they? I guess they don't realize that most props in most sci-fi shows/movies are built from repurposed parts. Part of the fun is trying to take them apart and see how they are constructed from real world items.

Reaction score
Yes, we won. Thanks to the help of our good SW buddies.

We will get a set of three (command, medical, and science) metal Trek badges like from the 2009 movie. They are NOT the real ones sold in stores, but chintzy hand made knock-offs the real prop people hate. They are the wrong size, dented, scratched, and oh SO Jawa! We had to pick them.

If you would like to read about the build check this out:

Build Story

And yes, some of those people are very vicious. We might have resigned like their first victim did, but we figured they would just go after the next guy. He used a printout in his prop, he didn't paint it by hand, don't you know?

It is nice that everyone will get a prize though. Even the sore losers get to be winners. Jawas like a happy ending.

Reaction score
I'll never understand why people enter contests if they're unwilling to admit defeat. I found the "But mine took more work!" argument to be particularly dumb; these kind of contests are all about the final result, not about how you got there, but whatever.

Well done, Jawas!

Reaction score
I personally understand the sore losers' argument.

They're probably not Star Wars fans, so the only understanding they have of Jawas is that they're thieves, swindlers, and junk peddlers. Without the deeper, more nuanced perspective that one gets from being a fan, one is likely to come to that conclusion.

Therefore, they, being unsophisticated non-fans, are liable to assume that Kay and Mark, like the few Jawas seen in A New Hope, practiced unseemly behavior in their quest for victory. That suspicion, bred of Star Wars deprivation, led to their sour attitudes.

After all, without exposure to a wide array of Jawa trivia, how is one to know that Jawas are anything but the filthy cheats that we see in A New Hope? How is one to know about Akial the Jawa Jedi, for goodness sake?

Reaction score
Wow ...
I finally ended up making this project, that is:
- Finding the characters I liked best
- Printing them out (they are about inch-sized)
- Cutting and blue-tagging them to a door jamb, each one at the appropriate height

And ... wow ...

You think you're a solid SW fan, so immersed in the universe that nothing can surprise you anymore ...
Well I got to think again, when the actual physical heights of Yoda, R2 and Vader appeared next to another, and most of all directly comparable to my own height.

The movies and official stats are indisputable of course, but this reality check gave me quite a blow ... Yoda is so small, and Vader so gigantic!

Young Anakin is taller than I thought, and seeing 3PO/R2's actual heights still is a wonder (even if I did see lots of full scale R2s already ... feeling it in your home is another thing )

Long story short: I encourage you to do the test ... it only takes minutes of your time, and brings SW to a very palpable level

Satka said:
Hi,

I'm going to assemble a measuring stick for the little one.
And of course, it will be a SW one.

Reaction score
Let's see a photo, Flavien! When you first proposed that project, I thought it was an awesome idea; it's great to hear it's now a reality.

Reaction score
Well here you are:
  • The whole thing: from Yoda to Vader (there is no Chewie here, I know, I know
    )
    The little one is currently slightly above R2
  • Bottom view:

Master Yoda's height really shows here ...
  • Top view:

Vader's ... ominous, no other word comes to mind

Reaction score
Satka said:
Well here you are:
  • The whole thing: from Yoda to Vader (there is no Chewie here, I know, I know
    )
    The little one is currently slightly above R2

a!
  • Bottom view:

Master Yoda's height really shows here ...
  • Top view:

Vader's ... ominous, no other word comes to mind

Wow R2 towers over Yoda!

Reaction score
My son's 10th birthday party was over the weekend and of course we had a SW themed birthday. My wife with her considerable talents
made an R2-D2 cake. It turned out really good (as in tasting).

Reaction score
darthblu3 said:
My son's 10th birthday party was over the weekend and of course we had a SW themed birthday. My wife with her considerable talents
made an R2-D2 cake. It turned out really good (as in tasting).
Now THAT is cool! I would like this for my birthday cake next month please.

Reaction score
JediShua said:
Now THAT is cool! I would like this for my birthday cake next month please.
Just make sure you send me the invite, so I can RSVP!

@MNSnowtrooper - Thanks! I'll let the wife know she's getting some positive feedback on her cake.

Reaction score
Gonk time !!!

Preparing myself for CVI, I couldn't resist, and started things slowly with this thirty minutes project

I can tell you ... I didn't expect the little padawan to enjoy this so much!
He's been "Gonking" his way around the flat since then (even tried to go to the toilet with it ...)
And when I gave him a "Galactic Hero" Gonk, he was very very pleased

A few pics ...

And ... there's even a video!

Reaction score
Jorbex said:
That's fantastic!
Thanks

I like these moments of cardboard fury

shazbazzar said:
How are you getting the Gonk to Florida next year?
Well I had something else in mind for the padawan's costume, but Gonk seems like a good alternative ... I'm pouring some energy in that project as we speak

Reaction score
shazbazzar said:
How are you getting the Gonk to Florida next year?
Looks to be it's already boxed, just slam some postage and away Gonk goes! Just kidding, especially if his son is still inside

Reaction score
Oh man, that is so cool. I can't wait to see the finished product. (and in person!)

Reaction score
You've gonkified your offspring!!

Can't wait to see him go through customs!
I can see your going to make the months leading up to CVI very interesting and entertaining !!

Reaction score
so its not nearly as epic as that little gonk, but i found myself with a 76 antenna topper, metallic spray paint and a sharpie, this was bound to happen

Reaction score
so its not nearly as epic as that little gonk, but i found myself with a 76 antenna topper, metallic spray paint and a sharpie, this was bound to happen
Hey, it's really great!
And exactly the kind of SW reference I love: it's there, you can very well walk past it without noticing it, but once you spot it, you can't help but smile.

Congrats ;)