With those hands / claws / pincers / pseudopods

Reaction score
Re: With those hands / claws / pincers / pseudopod

Thanks for the nice pic Jorbex!
I'm downloading the plugin atm ... it seems promising!

This is a one Jawa project, so it will take (much spare) time, but I'll try to post regular updates as the project progresses!

Reaction score

Sheldon said:
You're Crazy! And I support the idea 100%.
Can't wait to see the final result.

Hehe ... if I had been given a nickel for each time someone told me that!

Thanks for your support, I'm going to need it if I don't want this to fall into the PAP (Pit of Abandoned Projects)

Reaction score

Satka said:
Sheldon said:
You're Crazy! And I support the idea 100%.
Can't wait to see the final result.

Hehe ... if I had been given a nickel for each time someone told me that!

Thanks for your support, I'm going to need it if I don't want this to fall into the PAP (Pit of Abandoned Projects)
Go for it, Satka! This is the kind of thing I'd love to have the a) time b) money and c) skill to do myself!

Reaction score

Jorbex said:
Go for it, Satka! This is the kind of thing I'd love to have the a) time b) money and c) skill to do myself!
Thanks!

The a) is going to be tough ... with a Satka Jr running around and the non-stop gaming happening around here

Hopefully, the b) part won't be too heavy. I already have some ideas of scavenging and hacking ... after all it's supposed to be in a slave's quarters!
As for the c) part ... one word ... Jawa! (meaning jury-rigging and shabbiness)

Reaction score

Beware, this Vader is highly flammable!

Claudio Dias is a highly resourceful and talented paper engineer. (Just check his articulated Bumblebee to be convinced)

If you want to build this papercraft Vader, with removable helmet, get the model right here (for a small donation, btw)

Reaction score

Oh my, another beautiful papercraft just popped out of nowhere!
It's a gorgeous ETA-2 model

The model instructions are still in development, but you should be able to figure it out, if you are familiar with papercrafting

If not, you might end up with a ... Death Star (code name for failed models, taking the vague shape of a sphere
)

Reaction score
It looks like the SW crafting society is pretty busy.
Here's a nice and simple Stormtrooper helmet papercraft I found.

You will need:
- The model of course. It is the link containing the text "(1609KB)" in this Japanese page
- Version 3 of the free pepakura viewer

Reaction score
I thought that was a scaled model. That is remarkably good. Satka, do you have paper space battles with your completed vehicles?

Reaction score
MasterRawas said:
I thought that was a scaled model. That is remarkably good. Satka, do you have paper space battles with your completed vehicles?
Of course I do ... that's ... the whole point!

Reaction score
Paper-replika published yet another gorgeous paper model.
A shiny Naboo N1 Starfighter

With 4 pages, this model is much simpler than the Eta-2 and ARC-170 posted earlier (10 and 7 pages respectively), so I would highly recommend it for anyone starting papercraft!

Now ... will paper-replika work on OT crafts?

Reaction score
Satka has his papercraft, I've got my pumpkincraft!

Sorry about the blurry image. It's the best one I took.

Reaction score
Anyone have any good pumpkin templates? Or at least pictures that could be easily turned into templates?

I was thinking of doing Rex.

Reaction score
Wow Shaz, that kinda looks like one of those Mars rocks that the probe took pictures of. Nice pumpkin. Make sure you bring it in at night so none of those Sith teenagers smash it in the street.

Reaction score
Murray1134 said:
Anyone have any good pumpkin templates? Or at least pictures that could be easily turned into templates?

I was thinking of doing Rex.
Well ... I don't kow anything about pumpkin carving, but here's a quick thing I did ...
There are two versions, one with a thin border, another one with a thick border

Is that even usable?
Let me know, I'd be fun to make more!

And the large files are here:
First version
Second version

EDIT: The images now have "stencil cutouts"

Reaction score

Those are very good, Satka!

When making pumpkin templates, think of a stencil; the outer line needs to have some "interruptions", if you will, so the pumpkin stays in one piece. Am I making any sense?

Reaction score

Thank you for the tips and suggestion!
I just updated the pics so that it is feasible

Before I make more, do you guys have any other technical advice? (does my model have too many lines, are they too close one to another, are they too thin?)

Oh, and I wonder ... is it not too late to start carving pumpkins for this year anyway?

Reaction score

That's the ticket, Satka! And don't worry, now's the perfect time to start carving pumpkins; they don't last more than a few days in any case.

Tell you what; I'll carve a pumpkin using your template tonight, and I'll post some pics.

Reaction score

Jorbex said:
That's the ticket, Satka! And don't worry, now's the perfect time to start carving pumpkins; they don't last more than a few days in any case.

Tell you what; I'll carve a pumpkin using your template tonight, and I'll post some pics.
WOW, I'm honored

Now that is some serious interaction, all this without any fancy social Web 2 network!

Reaction score

Satka! You're killing me!
I could've used that yesterday!

I was thinking, "What should I do?"
Three years back I did Vader.
Two years ago, it was Fett.
Then last year, it was E.T. (The original edition with guns instead of walkie-talkies)
I thought of Rex, C-3PO, R2-D2 (but I'm wanting to do that later), then finally decided on Yoda.
I did a very basic version, though I've considered going back and adding some wrinkles, etc. through scraping off the skin of the pumpkin.
But it was hard to decide how to implement the plan. Vader, Fett, Clones, etc. are pretty straightforward. But had I seen your Ahsoka before getting the pumpkin, I'd have done her!
I'm thinking of running down to Wal-Mart to pick up a pumpkin tomorrow and carve it up.
It's perfect! Simple lines and shapes but a very recognizable result.
But I don't have another couple of hours to devote to carving before Friday! You put too much stress on me you Frenchman.

Thanks!

Reaction score

shazbazzar said:
Satka! You're killing me!
I could've used that yesterday!

I was thinking, "What should I do?"
Three years back I did Vader.
Two years ago, it was Fett.
Then last year, it was E.T. (The original edition with guns instead of walkie-talkies)
I thought of Rex, C-3PO, R2-D2 (but I'm wanting to do that later), then finally decided on Yoda.
I did a very basic version, though I've considered going back and adding some wrinkles, etc. through scraping off the skin of the pumpkin.
But it was hard to decide how to implement the plan. Vader, Fett, Clones, etc. are pretty straightforward. But had I seen your Ahsoka before getting the pumpkin, I'd have done her!
I'm thinking of running down to Wal-Mart to pick up a pumpkin tomorrow and carve it up.
It's perfect! Simple lines and shapes but a very recognizable result.
But I don't have another couple of hours to devote to carving before Friday! You put too much stress on me you Frenchman.

Thanks!
Sorry shaz, bad timing!

I never participated to these fun Halloween events, having only seen what this means through movies and TV shows.
I know how important it is, but all the preparations, the growing excitation ... I never had that ...

Reaction score

As promised, the Clone Trooper Jack O'Lantern has been carved! (I left out the Kitty ears; sorry shaz!)

Here's some photos, with lights on and off:

Credit and thanks go to Satka for making that wonderful template!

Reaction score

Jorbex said:
As promised, the Clone Trooper Jack O'Lantern has been carved! (I left out the Kitty ears; sorry shaz!)
Wow thanks for the pics Jorbex, you've been busy!

Note: I can see the thumbnail pics, but clicking on them leads to empty windows ...
And I can't find the pics in your Photopost gallery

Reaction score

MasterRawas said:
Those are truly spectacular. You did a really great job. I would be honored to trick-or-treat at your house.
Thanks, Eric! You're welcome to trick-or-treat, but I can't guarantee you wouldn't get a rock.

Reaction score

I think I'm carving up our pumpkin tonight, but here's a teaser. This was last years pumpkin

Reaction score

I like the not-quite-all-the-way-through carvings. What do you use to do that?

Reaction score

JediShua said:
I like the not-quite-all-the-way-through carvings. What do you use to do that?
You need to shallowly cut your design with a sharp knife, and then lift the pumpkin's skin with a wood chisel (or a flat screwdriver, wich was what I actually used). Take care not to grievously injure your fingers with the screwdriver!

Reaction score

Murray1134 said:
I think I'm carving up our pumpkin tonight, but here's a teaser. This was last years pumpkin
Ohhh ... and do you have lit up pics of last year's pumpkin? It must be really impressive, with the lightsabers sticking out!

Reaction score

Satka said:
Murray1134 said:
Ohhh ... and do you have lit up pics of last year's pumpkin? It must be really impressive, with the lightsabers sticking out!
Sadly, we didn't cut it deep enough so it didn't glow all that well. This year's is getting carved as I type. I'll post pics when it's done. It looks pretty impressive already.

Reaction score
Hi there!

Today I was struck by one of these baking frenzies.
Sometimes it's not a good idea to follow such urges, but I succumbed anyway.

So, with a few cherries, lots of chocolate and whipped cream, I present you "Dark R2"

First, bake a hemispherical chocolate cake

Then, cut it nicely

I guess R2 builders never followed this kind of blueprints!

More cherries, more cream ... oh did I mention the cakes were lightly soaked with Kirsch syrup?

Close the dome

This is as messy as it looks!

Even messier: putting grated chocolate on whipped cream

A few chocolate coated additions, a hint of sculpture (very tricky on unstable cream), and voilà

I'll post pics of the inside tomorrow. Now it's time for bed

Reaction score
I suggest going to France for Celebration Europe II in 2010!
Satka keeps making me hungry.
What a great creation!