WIP: Building the Black Pearl

Reaction score
Not exactly a toy, and not exactly a custom, but I thought I might share my progress here.

Don´t know where else this was released, but over here in Austria, they started with a new collecting magazine to build Jack Sparrow´s Black Pearl. The mag comes on a weekly base and the whole run will be 100 issues. The mag includes the building instructions with the supplied parts, some info and secrets about characters, locations, etc. ( similar as the SW-Fact Files )

Now to the model itself. The finished one will be roughly 80cm long, about 70cm high and 30cm width. Parts supplied will be made of wood, metal, cloth. This is also a Disney licensed model so, for the full price, the size and what can be told from the preview pictures, I expect it to be pretty detailed, almost replica like.

Enough talking, here comes the first pics, visualizing my progress after 5 issues:
The almost finished bones:

Detailshot of the figurehead:

Temporary holder for the figurehead and the Jolly Roger:

Painting will be started when needed, since this is my very first wooden ship model, I have no idea what keeps visible when finished. As far as I know, parts of the backboard side will be cut-away sections to get a look into the inside

Reaction score
Back again, with some minor update on the Black Pearl :)

Issue #6 came with the last 2 missing rips and some other small parts used later in the progress.
Issue #7 came with the stand for the ship.

Didn´t like the sharp edges, so I resculptered the parts to give them a more natural boney appearance, and I am happy with the result. Hard to see on the picture, but due the nature of the material it even became a general rough bone-like structure.

Final progress after 7 issues.

Next week they start to deliver first parts of the lower deck.
So long...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lets continue on the Pearl :)

Issue #8 came with the front half of the lower deck panels

Issue #9 had the back half of the lower deck panels

Issue #10 should have delivered floor coverings for the lower deck printed on cardback. As you can see, I recieved the back half twice and was missing the front half. But I already knew that this would just be cardboards and so I picked up a few sheets of oak veneer ( hope thats the correct translation :) ), cut off stripes of 4 milimeter and "planked" the deck.

Final progress after 10 issues

The coming issues will continue in detailing the lower deck with prisoner cells and cargo bay.
Keep checking ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice mate, im interested to see your progress, nothing better than i pirate ship, looks like fun, i'll be coming back and havin a look, cant wait to see the finished project, cheers

Reaction score
Aye !!! Be my guest :) but as mentioned this will take 100 issues to finish :p

Today I wished they would supply more parts with every single issue.
Anyway, heres a small one.

Issue #11 arrived with some frames and a few brass parts for the prisoner cells on the backboard side. But first I arrived at a point, where I felt the need for start painting. The instructions suggested the areas and parts to be painted in dark brown. Didn´t like that so I picked up a ebony wood stain and IMO this looks WAY better. The small bright flashes are not visible on the model, its just because of the cameras flash.

In an earlier issue I already recieved two compartment walls with doors, like most of the parts being MDF. The instruction again wanted it to be simply painted dark brown. No way, like the deck I planked the walls and the doors on both sides, and used the stain again. The front wall for the cells is again a MDF frame. I painted the brass parts with gunmetal, added lair of dry-brushed canelle ( my favourite color to simulate rust ) and another lair of dry-brushed silver. Non of the walls have to be installed yet. There are still parts coming for the cells and I am sure they wait for some metal details like bars in the small windows, joints, etc.. for the compartment walls.

Next week comes the front cell wall for the starboard side.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hallo there, back again

Issue #12 - 14 came with all parts needed to finish up the prison cells. There were MDF frames for the smaller sidewalls, brass inserts and smaller brass parts for decorating the compartmentwall doors and a bunch of REALLY tiny lanterns :p

( I am not that kind of a photo genius, I know ;) )

This is how the ship looks like right now:

As far as I can tell from the preview for next weeks issue, they start to deliver enviroments, supplies, crates, barrels... I guess there will be 3 or 4 more issues before the construction continues with the middle deck.

Reaction score
ARRRR ! Update again

Not as much as I hoped, but here we go.

Issue #15 had this little guy to be build with MDF and brass parts. Turned out to become a bottleshelf :p

Issue #16 and #17 came with bottles for the shelf and other cargo pieces made of lead, here the finished painted pieces.

From the preview, Issue #18 and #19 will deliver some more cargo, and as guessed before #20 will start with construction on the middle deck.

Reaction score
Issue #18 came in yesterday, with the last supplies being a set of barrels made of lead, and some ropes.

My temporary placement for the cargo for the photo, will properbly change next week when the last structure parts, wich connects the lower deck with the middle deck, will arrive

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update !!! :)

Issue #19 came in to finaly finish off the lower deck

Issue #20 and #21 brought the deck plates for the middle deck. I am going to plank it like the lower deck but I have to wait for the original supplied cardboard covers to see which area will be visible.
I also consider to pick up a handfull of dry hay outside to cover the floors in the prison cells.

Reaction score
Update time :)

Issue #22 came with the cardboard cover for the middle deck yesterday

took me all night to plank the deck as mentioned before. just finished paintig the deck a few minutes ago. It was still a little wet so thats why it appears to be darker.

Next will be some structure parts for this deck, followed by the first hull parts and loads of accesoires, more supplies and the first set of cannons. :)

"..drink out pirates, yo ho !!"

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is really cool! I like all the work you put into this so far. It's going to be so irritating though to wait so long to get it finished, but when it is... I can't imagine the amout of elation that will follow.

Makes me wish my wife was still living in Vienna to get me a set of these magazines to do the same thing. Those are fantastic! Too bad I had to marry her and bring her to the states with me :p

Reaction score
Oh oh ! Today when i should have gotten the next issue #23, I instead recieved issue #25 for some reason !!! This issue comes with some hull parts which I cant install yet because of missing parts from #23 and #24. Hope the get them two issues somehow soon :p

Reaction score
Woohoo ! Guess the misdelieverd issue was only to my favourite news stand, cause everywhere i asked they told me to have recieved #23, unfortunatly either sold out or reserved for other customers. But i got lucky and finally found it. :) next problem til monday, the new parts need to be painted but after painting the middle deck i ran out of the used color. Have to pick up some on monday :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally got the second missing issue this week, so building could be started again :) Was nice to work with 3 issues at once, so I wished again they would supply more parts every week

Anyway,

Issue #23 had structure parts for the middle deck, #24 and #25 the first hull parts. The outside of the hull will not be painted because through some previews they allready mentioned that the outside will be officially planked with supplied parts, the same way as I did with the decks :)

Progress after quarter of the collection :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Two more "Outer" hull parts for the starboard side mid-deck woth issue #26.... Did I mention before that the hull in this area consists of inner AND outer walls ? :p

Next issue will finish up the mid-deck outer hull. The open area on the backboard-side is a cut-away section

Reaction score
Little update after issue #29.

Middle-deck inside walls are finished since #28.
#29 came with "just" those four doors and a set of hooks for the bars.... they sure know how to milk that cow :)

I also painted the current outside just for better look on the shelf until I get the parts to plank the outer hull.
Next weeks #30 will bring some section walls for this deck where those finished doors will be installed too and another brasssheet of tiny lanterns for the hooks.

After that I guess they start delivering deco stuff like more cargo and the first bunch of cannons

Last edited:
Reaction score
ARRR !! Guess its time for another ( small ) update.

#30 brought the compartment walls for the middeck wich I planked like the everthing else before and inserted the doors.

#31 and #32 came with some new structure "rips" on the back end of the ship, for the caps cabin and a brass grrating ( ?? ;) )

#33 delivered the frames for the gratings and the opening where some stairs will be installed coming within the next few issues.

final progress after 1 third of the collection

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pearl Update Time :)

Issue #34 brought 2 more brass gratings for the loading access

Instead of delivering more deck accessoires, as I thought, #35 had a bundle of willow stripes wich ended up to be a FIRST layer of hull planks for half the body.

I first painted them on one side, attached them and again painted the outside for shelf-display only. A second final layer of planks will be added sometime later as mentioned in the instructions, so some small errors or uneven areas, wich are kind of natural to the bending process, will be covered later.

Reaction score
small update on this one :)

Issue #36 let me first-layer blank the other side with the cutaway section.

Issue #37 -#41 did some big time milking. They had everything to build the 12 cannons for the middle-deck. IMO this could have fited into 2 or 3 issues :p
Anyway, today I wanted to build them but unfortunatly completly ran out of glue :(

Next weeks preview showed that they deliver some more hull walls for the captains cabin area

Reaction score
It keeps shapin´ up !! :) :)

Issue #42 - #45 came with some more wallparts

Still haven´t finished the canons, got a little lazy the last weeks :) Next few issues should come with some more accessoires for the mid-deck.

Next update will be after the holidays, so happy X-mas and a happy new years to all followers of this thread ;) :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello there, fellow pirates :)

Still here and building. Due some personal things I ran a little short on time and just collected the issues and parts and just started the other weekend to catch-up on about 10 issues :p I got lots of deck accessoires, structure parts and "final layer hull planks".

So here we go.

mid-deck cannons finally build and painted

barrels, crates, tows, canonballracks and the ladder from lower-to-mid deck ( racks and ladder have been painted in the meantime )

hard to see, but those izzy-bizzy-tiny rings, where the canon will be attached, where a REEEAL pain in the *** to install :p :p Have to remember for the top deck to keep waiting for the those rings to arrive BEFORE I attach the walls ;)

deck reinforcement parts ( painted already )

keel and steven has been added and the hull is prepared to be final-planked.

planking will be started the next days and will be finished from the keel up to the canonports. Might take a few days until finished so keep on checking ;)

Reaction score
Just a lil one ... planking job is going slower than expected. Due the planks being a bit stronger than the first layer planks they keep breaking when bending over the front curves, even if I keep them soaking water over night :p

Also, I stick strictly to the instructions but for some reasons I got some differences in the pattern at the rear around the area of the cannon ports. Guess I have to cheat with some wood putty before painting. Currently working on the lower area so keep checking for more updates soon...

Reaction score
Well, here I am again. Due some unknown reason I was totaly sleepless last night, so I decided to keep planking :)

Looks good... not perfect, but good.

As you can see, there are differences in the pattern, most noticeable at the rear canonport. But thats what instructions says :p Next step as of instruction would be painting, buuuuuut.... I am going to smooth it, fill up some gaps and carve in new planks. I also want to wait with painting until the rest is planked sometime later.

Reaction score
Guess I have a building run today :) :)

I decided to stick with the uneven pattern and continue as instructed. After I painted the whole piece I figured that it DOES look good as it is. And besides, I don´t think that our favourite captain doesn´t concern about a perfectly doubled plank pattern on each side, as long as the Pearl keeps swimming :)

I smoothed the ship, filled up some bigger gaps, smoothed again... me likes it..
Painted it with a fast layer of ebony, second will come later when the rest of the hull is planked and added a pair of extra planks.

And I finaly attached all the accessoires to the deck :)

Only thing left... I have to figure out a way how to attach the canonrobes to those tiny rings on both sides of the ports. :p :p
Also I will check through my mom´s place for some kind of fitting tissue to add some cloth deco´s like blankets, rolls of cloth...
After that the deck is finished and I can start with the top deck.... Yeah !!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am finished with the mid-deck... finally. But I quitted on attaching those canonrobes to the walls. Normaly I am a pretty patiend character, but THIS let me reach my maximum frustation level pretty fast :( :p . I decided to cut off the robes, threw in some ripped out cloth pieces from an old glasses cleaner tissue. I colored them with dark grey and black and placed them near the canons. I also added some hanging robes and some tiny chains wich I found in my parts-and-pieces-drawer... and it looks nice and busy again and kind of distract from the missing robes :)
Unfortunatly I didn´t take a shot before I continued with the top-deck floor plates.

Floor plates and canon ports are mounted already, currently working on planking the deck and the inner walls.

When this step is finished, the walls attached and everything painted, I am up-to-date with the latest issue again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Back on track again :)

Planking the top-deck is finished.

With #64 came the front wall to the captain´s cabin

The ship so far, a few parts are not attached yet, just placed them for the photos.

Reaction score
Is me again... :) :)

Issue #65 and #66 came with averything to build and plank the forward quarter deck and finish the walls with their top-edges.

#67 had a table and chair for the cap´s cabin

Reaction score
I've enjoyed watching this thread. I'm building the Pearl too but we are only up to issue 24 here in the UK so I've some catching up to do.

Reaction score
@Luggins, get yourself ready for an interresting, sometimes frustrating, ride and enjoy watching your progress on the black baby :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi there pirate fans.

Today I picked up issue #75 and I finaly was able to finish the captains room.
What I did since the table/chair set update:

backside wall with brass windowframe inserts planked, painted and attached
2 mermaid-like statues for outside next to the door painted and attached
2 cannons build and painted
shelf for seamaps build and painted
set of seamaps and a printed carpet wringled and threw everything in a cup of coffee to give a used look :) :)
big winch for the main pole

so here are some pics of the finished area, the two green cloth pieces will be painted grey or dirty brown color.

now the "standart" shots for the current progress

and a little preview how it ( most proberbly ) will continue next week, building up the poop-deck

Now with 75 issues I have finished 3/4 of the ship. I recently discovered a russian site where it seems like they already finished the build. There were listings for every issue and the remainig 25 will be packed with parts to finish up in time.
Also I discovered ( and already got confirmation from the german publisher ), although the ship WILL be finished with #100, ( and the magazine still says that the series goes for 100 issue ) the series will be expanded for 20 more issues. Those optional issues will come with extra accessoires, metal crew figures, some kind of diarama display and a name plate.

Reaction score
Hi again, friends of everyones favourite pirate ship :) :)

Just recently I though, I missed something and it hit me like a falling star.... building update :)

Just kidding, because I have started to move once again, I ran a little out of time. But I took some free days and I continued building.

Issues #76 - 78 had ( almost ) everything to build the 12 canons for the top deck. Unfortunatly I was missing one barrel when I build them last saturday. Since they are not mounted to the ship at this point, I am still playing with two ideas. Either I will scratch build one and kind of hide the canon in the dark corners right to the caps cabin entrance and throw once again a piece of cloth over it.... OR... I simple but up the empty gun cariage and use it as kind of damaged one.

Issues #79 and 80 let build the poop deck and the windowed walls to the caps cabin. The last wall, the backend one with the windows was really, really, REALLLLY a pain in the *** to install. I think this is the main part to show you how accurate you build the full ship. So I address you all who is building this one too. Take your time and stay patiend, even with the smallest steps.

Issue #81 had a last bundle to finaly plank the rest of the hull :) The instructions wanted to have the rear window wall simply painted and the curved one above, to be planked vericaly. Didn´t like the idea so I first planked the window wall, then I found some images from the actual movie set ship wich showed the above one be planked horizontal

Issue #82 came with parts to build the round roof around the cabin... but for some reason those parts are not fitting, being both, to short and to thin. I will scratchbuild this the coming days.

Preview for next week showed the three inner wall for the poop deck. Since the main body is finished after that, I thing they will finaly start with all the accessoires and details. Now less than 20 issues left to build the ship I finaly start to see an end of the road.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did some catching up again :)

As mentioned last time, the delivered parts for the cabins roof didn´t fit quite nicely, so after trying different ways to build that, I figured the easiest way to do is to use some.... foamcore material :)

Ladders to connect the top deck with the mid deck, build and installed

Issue #83 delivered the inside walls for the poopdeck. Although the original parts where some higher quality wooden walls, they still were solid ( ?? ) so I did my own wall decoration planking once again.

And finaly, I painted the whole ship and it looks goooood to me ( still a little wet on the pic´s )

I think I will add some kind of weathering layer the coming days, by drybrushing different ( not 50 ) shades of grey :) :) :) and brown. Also thinking about to add some shell crust to beneath the sea line.... somehow.

Last edited: