Will your collection ever be “complete”?

Reaction score
Will your collection every truly be “complete”?
If yes, what will it take to get there?

My wife asked me this question soon after we were married (9 yeast ago!). It feels like it is close, but I’ve been there before many times already. It seems that every time I do get “close”, I find something new to collect or decide to switch my room around and make more space. It’s a never ending cycle for me. It’s starting to feel like a lifelong journey (My poor wife). How about you?

Reaction score
For various reasons some pieces are no longer attainable so there's no chance it will ever be complete. But there's always something to collect so the journey will continue. It'll just be in a different direction.

Reaction score
I thought I would be “complete” when I got “all“ the figures loose. Then a set carded, then a graded set, then vehicles, then coins....what fun would it be to be “complete”? Every year I say I’m going to sell and walk away and every year I just end up with more and more.

Reaction score
I thought I would be “complete” when I got “all“ the figures loose. Then a set carded, then a graded set, then vehicles, then coins....what fun would it be to be “complete”? Every year I say I’m going to sell and walk away and every year I just end up with more and more.
I started just getting the original 12. then I just started collecting in order. didn't want the POTF figs just end it with the Jedi Line....oh let me grab the POTF ones I like... I went back and got the vehicles I had as a kid, then all of those in order with a few holes...damn... I will stop with vintage when the set is complete, less obscure variants. If Hasbro loses the license, I am done all together. I didn't collect TVC until photo real started. From modern I pretty much pick and choose what I like.

Reaction score
I'm just about out of room for display cases. As soon as those are filled, I'll stop collecting. I guess if there are pieces I decide I can live without I'll sell those and make room for other items.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to stop. I have always had some form of collection ever since I can remember. If I lived on a deserted Island, I would have a collection of rocks and shells. Just my nature.

If I ever finish star wars, I still have batman . Oh, and I just started playing with monsters.

No.

Reaction score
I never thought that I would gather what i have at the moment. It started out as my original figures i had as a kid, then what I thought looked cool, then I decided diaramas were the way. Then boxed items and rarity items. It just keeps growing. I am now at over 30,00 figures in my diaramas and an extra room for boxed and rarities.

Reaction score
I never thought that I would gather what i have at the moment. It started out as my original figures i had as a kid, then what I thought looked cool, then I decided diaramas were the way. Then boxed items and rarity items. It just keeps growing. I am now at over 30,00 figures in my diaramas and an extra room for boxed and rarities.
Over 3 thousand!,, wow. I'm just over 100 . I feel silly now . What a collection you must have.

Reaction score
I felt that I would never be complete however that changed for me recently. I feel what did it for me was going on EBAY and having nothing I wanted to buy LOL. I think having a dedicated space and to only own what you can display helps “complete “ your collection. You’ll know it when you are there.

Reaction score
There's just too much stuff to collect. I sold a lot of moc and got more into proofs. Since they don't pop up often I have complete a graded set and am working on a second loose set. Also I like the die cast ships! K

Reaction score
If you ever reach the point of a complete collection, I feel the enjoyment will dissipate with that last purchase. I'm sure it will feel rewarding to have a set of this or that, but the thrill will likely be gone. A friend of mine said that its a lifelong endeavor, and I'm beginning to think that's about right. I still buy Kenner and Hasbro, so unless Hasbro loses the license, I'll continue to purchase figures - but only TVC - I'm a 3.75 collector until the end. If I could add one character to my collection to feel more complete, it would be Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo from the Kenner line and hopefully in TVC before that line is over. He is the last Kenner movie figure, outside of variants, that never received a modern resculpt.

Reaction score
😳 wow 30,000 figures! I would love to see some pics of your dioramas! K

Reaction score
I feel complete with my collection. Couple things I am still looking for but it’s mostly paperwork or an empty vehicle box. If it falls into my lap great, if I’m never gonna get it, it won’t kill me.

Reaction score
On a similar note, theres a thread in another section asking how many 3.75 figures have been released by Kenner / Hasbro - has anyone done a count lately? Number 500 was back in 2005, so 14 years later, and we're over 1000, but I don't think an exact total has been posted...

Reaction score
I want it to be :) However there are so many grail items I would love (Telescoping Vader/ObiWan, 8 more 12 backs, TolToys Vinyl Jawa) to have and just other random items I want to add. I think that's what I love most about are hobby the amount of variation and variety of vintage product!

Reaction score
A collection can never be complete - there is always another thing to get. However the question is "will you ever get to a point where you are content with your collection?". I am pretty content with my collection now. I have almost everything I really really desire that costs less than my car. I would be happy to add more things but if I don't I'd be fine with it.

My collecting time now has been more about spending time with other collectors and passing on what I have learned to show others how to spot fakes and just enjoy what I have.

Reaction score
def.

Complete loose run, plus Blue Snag & creatures like Jabba, Wampa, etc. and then all the Vehicles loose.

I'm pretty close to having all the non-last-17 basic stuff, and only have 1 TIE fighter, so it's gonna start getting more expensive per item pretty soon lol.

Reaction score
I will always be collecting something. My collection is also limited by my space. I hate to buy stuff that sits in boxes.

Over the years when I have moved, I have added/sold items. Once we settle down, I think I will probably add a few things, just don't have the space at this time.

Since the mid-90s my collecting has shifted towards vintage items. However, I have been spending quite some time on the Prop Replicas and Sideshow threads, the realistic pieces are just so cool! I also like the baseball memorabilia crossover items from Star Wars nights. Still researching what's out there to acquire bigger pieces for my (eventual) room. Disney had flooded the market with tons of items.

Reaction score
I hate to buy stuff that sits in boxes.
I'm the same way. If I buy something that just sits in a box or in storage, with me being afraid to touch it because I might destroy the value, then I have to wonder what the point of even owning the item was in the first place.

I actually have two items that I've long considered would signal an end to my collection, if I ever managed to acquire them. The figures themselves are rare, but not exceedingly rare. Long story short, in the summer of 1986, my brother and I took our first ever trip to a Toys R Us and there we stumbled upon several of the POTF figures on clearance. I never even knew the POTF line existed before that moment, and I specifically remember holding a Barada and a Jawa figure in my hand and deciding that I wanted to buy them. Then, after taking a few steps towards the end of the aisle, I changed my mind, put the figures down, and went to go look at the GI Joes. I still struggle to understand why I put the figures down and never went back for them. So, I'm always keeping my eyes open for a Jawa and Barada figure, still on the POTF card, with a TRU price sticker, and the price marked out with "2 for 1.00" written over it in black Sharpie. If I could find the exact two figures that I put down, 33 years ago, and purchase them, then that would go a long way towards me considering my collection to be complete.

Reaction score
I have an overall collecting focus which I don't think will ever be complete. Finding the pieces and be able to afford them are what prevent it from happening.

But within that focus are many mini focuses that I do complete.

Problem is, the moment I complete one, I then find another one to start on! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
I felt that I would never be complete however that changed for me recently. I feel what did it for me was going on EBAY and having nothing I wanted to buy LOL. I think having a dedicated space and to only own what you can display helps “complete “ your collection. You’ll know it when you are there.
Great points, I do the same thing (dedicated space and only own what can be displayed). It really limits you to buy what you REALLY, really want. It also makes you feel like a hoarder the moment you get even one big box of stuff that you can't display.

Reaction score
I need to really slow down on the modern stuff. If I could keep the money I spend on the new stuff, I'd have a lot more to work on getting more Vintage. I'd like to try and get the complete collection "loose". Have quite a bit, but there are still several pieces that elude me. Again, if I stopped the modern stuff, it would be easier.

Reaction score
I actually finished my vintage US Kenner run about 8 years ago but I'm always on the hunt for upgrades to carded figures or boxed playsets or ships. It's a lot harder now to find minty sealed pieces for upgrades without being graded, and much more expensive.

James

Reaction score
I need to really slow down on the modern stuff. If I could keep the money I spend on the new stuff, I'd have a lot more to work on getting more Vintage. I'd like to try and get the complete collection "loose". Have quite a bit, but there are still several pieces that elude me. Again, if I stopped the modern stuff, it would be easier.
It's easier said than done though, as they are always releasing such cool things! I always find that I enjoy the vintage items so much more but the modern items look so well done. And they are just there, available to be bought. But I think this same thing many, many times but alas I am weak.

Reaction score
I’ve been more into modern collecting but have about 85% of all the vintage toys. I display quite a few modern items in my collection room but haven’t made space to display vintage vehicles (vintage figures already displayed). I not anxious to go back and fill the holes in my collection to just leave it in a trunk. I will, however, consider displaying it. I’d have to clean a lot of old and dirty toys. I’m making a return to Kane county fair goriness and their collector show in Oct of 2020 so I may consider it.