Will You Be Collecting The Clone Wars Toyline?

Favourite film of 2004?

• Alien Vs. Predator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Around the World in 80 Days

• Blade: Trinity

• Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

• Catwoman

• Christmas with the Kranks

• Dawn of the Dead

• Dodgeball

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

• Fahrenheit 9/11

• Finding Neverland

• Garfield: The Movie

• Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

• Hellboy

• I, Robot

• Kill Bill (Vol. 2)

• King Arthur

• Ladder 49

• Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Meet the Fockers

• Ocean's Twelve

• Saw

• Secret Window

• Shark Tale

• Shaun of the Dead

• Shrek 2

• Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

• Spider-Man 2

• Starsky and Hutch

• Super Size Me

• The Aviator

• The Bourne Supremacy

• The Butterfly Effect

• The Chronicles of Riddick

• The Day After Tomorrow

• The Girl Next Door

• The Grudge

• The Incredibles

• The Ladykillers

• The Notebook

• The Passion of the Christ

• The Phantom of the Opera

• The Punisher

• The Terminal

• The Village

• Touching the Void

• Troy

• Van Helsing

• 13 Going on 30

• 50 First Dates

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I look forward to the day when the Animated Haters COMPLETELY ignore this line and this part of the forum. The crying about wasted tooling dollars is getting particularly old.

Ahhhh, 5 years of animated goodness. Eat it Haters.

Sol

Reaction score
Jedieb said:
So you're seriously excited about this:

LOL! Enjoy, they're all yours...

Reaction score
Personally I hate action features...but those figures with removeable actions will be darn good. I very much doubt these figures will peg warm as the kids will get mum'n'dad to buy them all up to play with whilst they watch the tv show.

Reaction score
After seeing the Toy Fair pictures of the animated Clone Troopers I'll probably pick some up as I think they look pretty cool. I may get the battle droids if they are pretty well articulated. Didn't see any other figures that looked all that interesting to me in the line. The AT-TE and Spider Droid look nice, however, and I'll probably get one of each of those.

Reaction score
Sol said:
Jedieb said:

while i'm going to tell anyone to "eat it" - i will say that, yeah i'm happy to have the option to get the Yoda above as opposed to this one again...

Reaction score
I will collect this line very selectively as has become my preferred method of collecting. I'll pick up the AT-TE and a few of the cooler troopers. I own everything Grievous, so I'll pick up the general as well.

Reaction score
i will be collecting all the vehicles from this line and maybe get the mail away captain Rex and a few of those battle droids (they look "almost realistic" and seem to have better articulation than any other BDs) but that is it.

Reaction score
Okay I voted other because none of the choices fitted my answer to the question.

Yes I'll be collecting the new CW toyline, but not because they're animated but because they're 3 and 3/4 inch scale and so they'll fit with the rest of my SW figure collection that runs the gamut from vintage Kenner all the way thru the various modern lines put out by Hasbro (including the first animated CW figures).

Basically I've got a kink for 3 and 3/4 inch SW figures and these new toys fit that kink, and are very cool looking too I might add

Reaction score
Sol said:
Jedieb said:
I find it a bit funny that out of the first 8 shown you pick the real stinker (at least in my opinion) to get your point across. I think the troopers and Rex look great and don't see any real issue with them fitting in with the rest of my collection. The Battle Droid looks to be able to fit in nicely as well. And I'm really digging Grievous too.

But that is simply my opinion on the line. These don't seem to stick out nearly as bad as many are trying to make them. You can please some of the people all of the time, but all of the people none of the time. The real let down is the Legacy wave - I've seen precious little I want out of that one so far.

Reaction score
I am well aware that statistics and numbers can be interpreted many ways, but perhaps as an indication in the interest level of the animated figures vs. the realistic figures, look at the traffic in the Legacy forum vs. the traffic in the Clone Wars forum.

Yes, there are many many more products in the Legacy forum to discuss, but the numbers of posts for individual releases seem to far outpace those of the Clone Wars figures.
The most discussed threads in the CW forum involve The vehicles (which are compatible with the realistic line) and the "debate" threads. Seems like there's not a lot of "buzz" around the merits of the individual CW figures themselves.

Maybe this is some small but clear indication of the interest level in the animated line?

Reaction score
Sol said:
Jedieb said:

[image]
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wizarduniverse/nytfclone2.jpg[/image]

I've already said that's the worst of the wave in another thread, but I'm not going to bash the entire line because of one sub-par figure. I take it you think every realistic figure is gold? Do I need to put up a pic of a bad realistic figure and throw every other realistic figure under the bus? Again, I can't wait till the haters vacate the premises.

Reaction score
Yeah, if anything, I think we need to reset the survey now that we know the truth about the line.

So long as this line doesn't extend far beyond early 2009, and they merge it back in with the rest, I'm not going to care. Y'all can have it, enjoy it, especially those telling us to "eat it" as that's just not helpful. You can live out here on your cartoon island.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will watch the series, pick out the few characters that are new in appearance and would be nice to have in the realistic style (so far from the trailers, there are only three or four, and most of those are clone variants) - and look forward to those in the realistic style.

Reaction score
nomadscout said:
I am well aware that statistics and numbers can be interpreted many ways, but perhaps as an indication in the interest level of the animated figures vs. the realistic figures, look at the traffic in the Legacy forum vs. the traffic in the Clone Wars forum.

Yes, there are many many more products in the Legacy forum to discuss, but the numbers of posts for individual releases seem to far outpace those of the Clone Wars figures.
The most discussed threads in the CW forum involve The vehicles (which are compatible with the realistic line) and the "debate" threads. Seems like there's not a lot of "buzz" around the merits of the individual CW figures themselves.

Maybe this is some small but clear indication of the interest level in the animated line?
I don't think that the animated line will be anywhere near as successful with adult collectors as the Legacy line. It won't even be close. But it should do just as well if not better with kids who will be tuning in to watch the show. Their parents have already bought them several Yoda's, Anakins, Obi-Wans, etc. Now they have something new to buy and gasp... play with! It would have been foolish for Hasbro to ignore that section of the market. Plus, they'll eventually get around to making realistic versions of any new characters the series has to offer. And I say new becaues we've already gotten realistic versions of many of these figures.

I can't wait for a realistic figure of Anakin's padawan. She should make a great figure. Animated haters will cry and moan about wasted tooling dollars and their lack of a realistic version, but if they'll just be patient they'll eventually get her.

I've got no problem with people that don't like the line, it's the over the top bashing that I'm tired of.

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
Yeah, if anything, I think we need to reset the survey now that we know the truth about the line.

So long as this line doesn't extend far beyond early 2009, and they merge it back in with the rest, I'm not going to care. Y'all can have it, enjoy it, especially those telling us to "eat it" as that's just not helpful. You can live out here on your cartoon island.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will watch the series, pick out the few characters that are new in appearance and would be nice to have in the realistic style (so far from the trailers, there are only three or four, and most of those are clone variants) - and look forward to those in the realistic style.
Yeah, I said "eat it." Harsh? Maybe, but it's lightweight compared to some of the responses from people who don't like this line. They don't just dislike it, they apparently want to eradicate from the face of the planet and blame it for every figure on their personal wishlist that Hasbro isn't making.

And as far as the line going away in 09, I doubt it. As long as this show is on the air, which as I've said before will probably be at least 5 years, we will probably see these animated figures. For me, it's just another shelf to go next to the hundreds of other figures many of us have already bought and that Hasbro will continue to make for us.

Reaction score
Since1978 said:

Fully agree. Do this survey again. I was never really sure why it was even started before we even knew what we would be getting.

I do suggest being specific for the answers. Like a great many other people here, and I have a strong feeling the final results will show, I will be buying the ships, but not the figures.

Reaction score
Jedieb said:
I don't think that the animated line will be anywhere near as successful with adult collectors as the Legacy line. It won't even be close. But it should do just as well if not better with kids who will be tuning in to watch the show.
This forum is defnitely grown-up oriented, so yes, whatever statistics might support what I said about interest in the CW line, kids are a whole different story. In my personal opinion, if I were a kid, I wouldn't need a cartoony kid line. That's what Galactic Heroes are for. I think I'd rather buy the real figures that are out there just like from the movies.

(Today, on my way through the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is only a few blocks from the Times Square TRU, I passed a 4 year old kid throwing a tantrum of some sort. His mother sweetly told him, "We can go to the store and buy you some Star Wars! The kid immediately became happy. Since the Clone Wars 3D is not released yet, I was guessing he'd be happy with some toy related to the movies.)

I don't like the line, and I do believe this is taking away tooling dollars for something I want to buy now. Regardless of when desirable characters are release in the future, they are STILL taking up slots of some figures when all is said and done.

However, although I do have my specific collecting habits and interests to look out for, I obviously have no interest in seeing Hasbro fail. Now that they've gone full force into the animated route, I hope kids (and adults) buy it up. Hopefully that means more "tooling money" to go around for everyone. In the end, I hope it turns out exactly as '78 said: The line will see a few waves, have its moment in the sun, and then disappear like a Pro Bowl offensive lineman trying to stop the New York Giants' pass rush.

Reaction score
My interest in the realistic line has waned. The focus on what the collectors want, the background characters who got 10 seconds or less of screen time is of no interest to me. All my son really cares about is troopers, jedi, and "bad" robots. I see this new animated series and the toys that go with it as a great thing.

I laugh every time I read a post about how this is taking away from figures that the collectors want. Like who? Ice cream guy? Ewok number 26 that was playing the stormtrooper helmets as drums? Please!

The new series will guarantee that the star wars line continues for many years to come. The kids are going to want figures that look like the show, just as the collectors whine about the screen accuracy of every figure that gets released. I think it is quite hypocritical to be quite honest.

Chill out and just enjoy your legacy line. Enjoy your Yarna .

Reaction score
DarthZylek said:
I laugh every time I read a post about how this is taking away from figures that the collectors want.
Same here! Except, I laugh every time I see that commercial with the guy trapped inside the car with a badger.

Hasbro only has X number of slots per year for figures. There's a finite opportunity to make the scores, or even hundreds, of figures that are currently being nominated in '78's exhastive polling process. If Hasbro chooses to spend money and tooling dollars on 28 figures that will be shunned by collectors, than that is 28 slots for realistic figures that will be delayed. I'd love an ICMG over any of the 28 animated figures. And if you participate in the polls, you can nominate something along the lines of 100 of your very own choices for figures/characters you'd rather see than anything else might produce.

As I stated, I hope Hasbro doesn't fail here, but I don't want this line to last very long either.

Sol

Reaction score
Captnjeffro said:
I find it a bit funny that out of the first 8 shown you pick the real stinker (at least in my opinion) to get your point across.
But it succeeded. My point was made. They're terrible figures, starting with Yoda.

Captnjeffro said:
I think the troopers and Rex look great and don't see any real issue with them fitting in with the rest of my collection.
The skinny troopers with the big, flaired helmet? And Rex, and older "clone"? The War hasn't been going on for that long. Aren't all "clones" supposed to be young and fresh out of the Kamino? Or at the very least resemble Jango, not some retired Drill Sgt... Seriously...

Captnjeffro said:
The Battle Droid looks to be able to fit in nicely as well. And I'm really digging Grievous too.
I'll give you Grievous, but I was never interested in Battle Droids.

Captnjeffro said:
But that is simply my opinion on the line. These don't seem to stick out nearly as bad as many are trying to make them. You can please some of the people all of the time, but all of the people none of the time.
Indeed, but when someone says to bring on "animated goodness", yeah, I have to laugh because that is just nonsense. And that is why I pointed out that Yoda. I want to see said people be the first in line to buy that and display it... I want to see how well it fits into their existing collection.

Sol

Reaction score
Jedieb said:
I've already said that's the worst of the wave in another thread, but I'm not going to bash the entire line because of one sub-par figure.
I haven't bashed the entire line at all. In fact, I've learned that if there's nothing good to say, not to say anything at all, except when there are glaring oddities, like Obi-Wan's hair, or Yoda's over-all look. And when you say things like "animated goodness", yeah you have to take the good with the bad... and the majority of this line is pretty bad...

Jedieb said:
I take it you think every realistic figure is gold?
I never said such an asinine thing, so please don't put words on my screen.

Jedieb said:
Do I need to put up a pic of a bad realistic figure and throw every other realistic figure under the bus?
Go ahead, if you're that bored. Chances are, I've already seen them... but I never got excited, I never purchased them, I never told anyone to "bite it", and I never proclaimed my love for them by exclaiming "realistic goodness"...

Jedieb said:
Again, I can't wait till the haters vacate the premises.
Bad news. This is a public forum. Fortunately, what you want doesn't fly around here. So yeah, all the "haters" will be sticking around, hating and hating until the next line crops up, forcing this one to the bottom of the barrel where it belongs.

Reaction score
The only good thing about this preview is the vehicles. I was really hoping this would be the opportunity to get a few figures like the scaled Grievous, better battle droid, Rex, Phase I Cody, and the new characters. A definate letdown.

And the videos of the cartoon look good, which I'm glad. I want the show to do well. But what will that mean for the future of store pegs? I ask that those who say you are against this, back it up with your purchases. Maybe Hasbro just needs reminding again from the first time.

Reaction score
"how well it fits into their existing collection"

this is one talking point that i wish would just go away. First of all, each and every one of us should display our collections in a way that is pleasing to ourselves. If anyone out there is trying to emulate someone else's collection or display that is just sad and really unimaginative. If you personally don't like the looks of these and don't want to display them by all means, please don't buy them, don't send in for the Rex figure and don't tell people what they should like.

What i don't get is how this is any different than a movie year like ROTS where all we got was figures from that movie - no OT presence on the shelves/pegs - all of those slots that could have gone to figure X wasted on ROTS figures. Okay, maybe the difference is that this line could go on indefinately as the popularity and success of the show will dictate - however the other difference is that there is a concurrent line that will address ALL of the other stuff - OT, PT, EU etc... in the normal, realistic, easy to fit-in style.

when my friends see my collection they see a ton of carded figures from many lines, from vintage to TAC and everything in between. They also see wall shelves filled with all kinds of figures in many different displays, some show scenes in a diorama type environment, others show line ups of figures with a common thread and others yet have one character represented in each of their releases from the last 30 years. Some shelves have vintage figures, some have animated and so on - many times people will comment more on the vintage and animated figures - they remember the vintage from their childhoods and usually say something like "those animated ones are from the cartoon! i didn't know they even made those - cool!". Most of these people are Star Wars fans, just not collectors like most of us.

So yes, I understand that many of you feel that this line of figures will not "fit in" with your collection - fine, but it's a flimsy excuse to rag on it. There's plenty of other items that i don't personally like, therefore i do not buy them and i do not display them in my collection - i also don't make it a point to go into each and every thread about those items to let everyone else know how much i dislike them.

Many of you are acting like Hasbro announced that every figure going forward was going to be made in this style.

Reaction score
All of the Clones for sure but I will be very selective on everything else. Maybe a few others but I have yet to see what those would even be.

Reaction score
To be honest, in all fairness to Hasbro - these DO look really nice. But from my standpoint, they honestly do not fall in line with my collection. They would stick out like a sore thumb.

I display my stuff in movie-esque dioramas. These figures look like an entirely different company is making them... not that they look bad, because they don't. But I don't like the style... in fact, from what I've seen so far, the only must buy for me is the Kenobi, and that's for a custom. And maybe Grievous just to take it apart and see if I can use it for something. But that's about it.

I'm kind of glad that I'm not head over heels for these, it will save me a lot of money this summer. Probably at least a thousand dollars this year when it's all said and done.

New Style - don't like
Action Features - don't like
Price Increase - don't like

That's three strikes from my perspective. The only ones I'll get are ones I think I can use for customs.

Again, they do look nice. But I don't need these. And I think that Hasbro will regret going with this style. Time will tell.

Reaction score
I don't think Hasbro will regret going with this style, since they are geared towards kids and trying to get new blood into the line. It's tricky with making figures from cartoons/animated features, since they need to represent the characters if they want to sell. So, you can make realisitc figures that collectors will likey buy, but the group of kids you are trying to bring in might not be interested since the figures aren't what they "see" when they watch the show. At the other end, as we are all complaining about, the animated figures that bring in the kids will likely turn off some collectors. But think of it this way; the animated is geared towards kids, and the legacy/EU stuff is geared towards us adult collectors. So many people are complaining about how adult collectors were given the shaft by making these figures animated. What we need to understand is that these animated figures probably aren't geared toward us in the first place, they are geared towards the younger generations. The action featurs are proof of that. So we aren't being snubbed by Hasbro.

Reaction score
nomadscout said:
Hasbro only has X number of slots per year for figures. There's a finite opportunity to make the scores, or even hundreds, of figures that are currently being nominated in '78's exhastive polling process. If Hasbro chooses to spend money and tooling dollars on 28 figures that will be shunned by collectors, than that is 28 slots for realistic figures that will be delayed. I'd love an ICMG over any of the 28 animated figures.
You've got to STOP saying that collectors will shun these figures. Just look at Rebelscum's own poll, only around 1 in 5 collectors are saying that they'll stay completely away. The fact is, MOST collectors are already on planning on buying a few of these figures.

I'm going to be real interested in seeing what my son thinks of these. I'm going to show him some video of the show and pics from Toy Fair and ask him what he thinks.

Reaction score
Sol said:
Bad news. This is a public forum. Fortunately, what you want doesn't fly around here. So yeah, all the "haters" will be sticking around, hating and hating until the next line crops up, forcing this one to the bottom of the barrel where it belongs.
Glad to see that you won't be bored enough to continue whining and crying about how Hasbro hasn't given you exactly what you wanted. This is one reason why I'm glad they went animated. It's annoying a small, self entitled group of collectors who can't stand to see anyone get figures they don't want. And since the show will be on for around 5 years get your fingers ready, you've got a lot of typing and whining to do in the years to come.

Don't like them, don't buy them.

Reaction score
Jedieb said:
You've got to STOP saying that collectors will shun these figures. Just look at Rebelscum's own poll, only around 1 in 5 collectors are saying that they'll stay completely away. The fact is, MOST collectors are already on planning on buying a few of these figures.

I'm going to be real interested in seeing what my son thinks of these. I'm going to show him some video of the show and pics from Toy Fair and ask him what he thinks.

As I said, I do hope your son likes them, because I don't want Hasbro to fail. It's not good for anyone.

Unfortunately, the poll is both worded poorly and is now outdated, since it was a pre-Toy Fair poll. '78 suggested re-issuing the poll to better capture reaction to pics of the figs at Toy Fair.

Also - fun with numbers:

The same poll you quote, by my count is:
131 people said they either WILL or MAY buy them.
99 people said they WILL NOT buy them at all.

So of the 131, a portion (35) said they'll buy no matter what, sight unseen.
88 said they'll pick and choose, and certainly after seeing pics, many of those may have fallen off the fence to the "Pass" side.
A meager 8 people said they were interested in the line only if they were animated just like the series itself. Again, I know this is a grownup oriented site, but this is the target audience, I believe. They are aiming this at a group that wants to identify the figs directly with the style of animation on the screen.

Reaction score
If the CW TV show is successful, I predict years of hot air.

The animated figures are fine. They match the movie (animation) what more would you want.

Reaction score
Jedieb said:
Not to speak for Sol who can certainly take care of himself, but in response to this, I probably won't buy them. But that certainly doesn't preclude me from making a point that I believe in. It's a debate, and obviously enough people are interested in both sides to support the back and forth in this thread.

I think your comment I quoted here is unfairly dismissive, and not worthy of some of the rest of your own posts in this thread which have more substance and merit.

Reaction score
Besides, they tried the Clone Wars a few years ago.
How much you want to bet half of these figures are repaints/repacks????

Reaction score
I showed the Galactic Hunter figure coverage (excellent photos, BTW) to a few kids today (I'm a teacher). Their reaction to the Clone Wars figures varied. Travis, 6, enjoyed the Battle Droid figure, and disliked the clone figures. The kid is a clone nut (his favorite is a phase I Clone Captain). He laughed out loud at Captain Rex. He also asked me "What's wrong with their helmets?" Jamie, 10, said "Grievous is big.." adding something to the effect of "small head". Jamie also liked the battle droid. Mitchell, 7. asked "Does the battle droid move everywhere like the Super Battle Droid?" When I brought up a pic of the CW Yoda the group laughed out loud. "Why does Anakin have a missle launcher on his arm?" asked Ryan, 8. "Obi Wan's missle is HUGE" Jamie said in a mocking tone. The children were very interested in the comic packs, however, especially the Imperial Knights. And while they were confused as to the color scheme, they were happy when I told them that the Battle Rancor was being released somewhere down the line in ROTJ colors. They were all, consequently, amazed at the coolness of the AT TE, but they were horrified at the price point. Which I thought was hilarious, seeing as they're "just kids".

Reaction score
Jedieb said:
Glad to see that you won't be bored enough to continue whining and crying about how Hasbro hasn't given you exactly what you wanted. This is one reason why I'm glad they went animated. It's annoying a small, self entitled group of collectors who can't stand to see anyone get figures they don't want. And since the show will be on for around 5 years get your fingers ready, you've got a lot of typing and whining to do in the years to come.

We are not complaining that we aren't getting the figures we don't want - sure, it may be a small portion of the complaints, but that's not the main focus.

Most are mad that Hasbro strongly hinted that these would be realistic, and, well, they aren't. Hasbro is totally underestimated the intelligence of children in this case. "We want them to look like it jumped off the screen." I'm sure kids can draw the connection from the old movies to these new ones even without a separate crappy line.

Reaction score
I think hasbro meant that they were not going back to the animated style from the first clone wars line. And as for them being realistic I think those are the clone wars figures in the legacy line such as the clone scuba trooper or the clone trooper with a quad cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.