Will You Be Collecting The Clone Wars Toyline?

Favourite film of 2004?

• Alien Vs. Predator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Around the World in 80 Days

• Blade: Trinity

• Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

• Catwoman

• Christmas with the Kranks

• Dawn of the Dead

• Dodgeball

• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

• Fahrenheit 9/11

• Finding Neverland

• Garfield: The Movie

• Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

• Hellboy

• I, Robot

• Kill Bill (Vol. 2)

• King Arthur

• Ladder 49

• Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Meet the Fockers

• Ocean's Twelve

• Saw

• Secret Window

• Shark Tale

• Shaun of the Dead

• Shrek 2

• Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

• Spider-Man 2

• Starsky and Hutch

• Super Size Me

• The Aviator

• The Bourne Supremacy

• The Butterfly Effect

• The Chronicles of Riddick

• The Day After Tomorrow

• The Girl Next Door

• The Grudge

• The Incredibles

• The Ladykillers

• The Notebook

• The Passion of the Christ

• The Phantom of the Opera

• The Punisher

• The Terminal

• The Village

• Touching the Void

• Troy

• Van Helsing

• 13 Going on 30

• 50 First Dates

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I absolutely will not be buying these.

I'm in for the vehicles, but that's it. I don't care for animated style figures, and am kind of relieved that I can pretty much pass on the whole line. Especially since the Legacy Collection and new comic-packs look so good!

(A LANDO comic-pack though? C'mon. Lando doesn't sell.)

-CC

Reaction score
I will of course "need" the AT-TE and a couple of homing spider droids, andcan probably fit the quad gunner and STAP attack battle packs into my collections. Other than that, looks like a light year for me!

Reaction score
streams said:
A BIG definitive NO from me... this weekend has answered it all as far as I am concerned... I just hope the majority of kids will love the stuff and that the line does not tank... as that could affect the rest of the Star Wars merchandise in the future as well...
This report was a big letdown to me as well. I just can't get into the animated style at all. The AT-TE is coming home with me and not much else.

Reaction score
No I wont being touching these figures. Its good means I can save money and concentrate on comic packs, order 66 packs and the two sith evolution packs. Animated isn't the best for toys.

Reaction score
I like the Clone Troopers, but I'm not really impressed with any of the other figures. I think the kids will eat them up, but AT-TE aside, I will not be collecting this line.

Reaction score
TheKid said:
$8 + sucky action features + animated-ish styles = PASS.

It kills me to admit this, but I am not excited for anything Hasbro is doing now. The Droid Factory line barely interests me, and the Clone Wars line is just bad.
After seeing pics of these. I won't be collecting them.

Reaction score
Drizzit said:
TheKid said:
$8 + sucky action features + animated-ish styles = PASS.

It kills me to admit this, but I am not excited for anything Hasbro is doing now. The Droid Factory line barely interests me, and the Clone Wars line is just bad.
After seeing pics of these. I won't be collecting them.
The kids will love them, you know after the movie and all, like me back in '79.
But not me, I do not think so.
Some look cool though.

Reaction score
Is this all Hasbro will be showing at TF (for the CW line)? I was hoping to see the Cody and Dooku figures from this line.

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be very selectively picking and choosing figures from this line (Grievous is a definite yes, maybe a couple of the clones). The vehicles look great, though.

That having been said, I think people are blowing the whole "animated style" thing slightly out of proportion. These figures aren't as stylized as the previous animated Clone Wars figures were, with a couple of exceptions (Yoda most notably). But yes, they're definitely different.

Oh, and the "lame action features" look to me like they're completely removeable from pretty much all of the figures, since they're just launchers. So that's a non-issue.

It will indeed be interesting to see how this breaks down, but I don't think there's any arguing that they'll be successful. Scalpers and speculators are going to snap these up just as much as they snap up anything, else. Add to that the usual percentage of folks that swear amidst the anonymity of the internet that they won't buy but then buy anyway, and the possibility of high kid interest in the line, and I'm pretty sure the Clone Wars product will do just fine.

Reaction score
I'll be collecting the line as I do enjoy the animated look of the figures.

Reaction score
My son (10 years old) is really lovin' the Yoda figure and can't wait to get him. Cartoony= Cool, if you're a kid IMO. I still plan not to purchase a single TCW figure for myself.

Reaction score
Jmacq1 said:
It will indeed be interesting to see how this breaks down, but I don't think there's any arguing that they'll be successful. Scalpers and speculators are going to snap these up just as much as they snap up anything, else. Add to that the usual percentage of folks that swear amidst the anonymity of the internet that they won't buy but then buy anyway, and the possibility of high kid interest in the line, and I'm pretty sure the Clone Wars product will do just fine.
Scalpers only buy what's "hot" and what they know impatient collectors will pay top dollar for. So far, most of the collectors on here have gone "meh."

Kids will love these, but kid taste is fickle. I'm sure Hasbro thought that a kid-friendly, "smaller scale for smaller hands" line would be great for Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four 2 figures, and we all see how THAT strategy played out.

I'm sure these will be hot the first week on the shelves, and do "okay" overall, but I expect they'll do a Saga Legends in short order and choke the pegs, making the awesome "Legacy Collection" figures that much harder to find...

-CC

Reaction score
I might get one or two that catch my eye, but otherwise I won't be collecting this line. I buy too many other things and they're much more expensive, gotta cut out something.

Reaction score
I never bought any of the first animated clone wars figures and the second time around isn't going to happen eaither Hasbro.

I am sure they will sell fine anyways between kids who watch the show and the Fall/Christmas shopping season. Animated Star Wars figures are not my thing when there are still hundreds of classic and prequel movie/canon characters to be made.

Reaction score
I started thinking about how kid focused this line looks and it got me thinking that Hasbro might redo these figures in a "real" or non animated form for us in the future.

Sol

Reaction score
Sol said:
I'm in the "Other" category.

It really, really depends on what's offered. I wasn't initially going to get any, but if they look good enough in their realistic form, then I may be swayed to pick some up. I'm not overly thrilled about this line, especially not really knowing what's going to be released. But, if they're animated, then it's a simple pass for me. Again, it all comes down to what the end product looks like.
Guess my initial feelings were right. I am now in the "No" category. The cartoon feel is not appealing at all. The skinny bodies, with disproportional heads, coupled with silly action features that appeal only to kids? No thanks, I'll save my $8 and buy more $6.63 TAC clones.

And speaking of clones, they look ridiculous. Again, huge helmets that flair out? What? And then the skinny bodies... ugh...

Reaction score
95% of Scummers said:
NO - these don't fit into my collection.
Here's a look at the fine print warning on the CW3D line of figures...

Reaction score
That's awesome, Darth Kozy.

Ah, I'd forgotten about the SW choppers...still fighting for life as Gentle Giant's horrible "kustomz" line of statues...

BTW, just to call it: Indiana Jones Mighty Muggs are gonna tank bigtime. A super-deformed vinyl of Mola Ram? Are you serious?

-CC

Reaction score
saddestmoon said:
Well, if everyone is gonna be passing on these, it will hopefully mean there will be more for me to collect!!!

Looks like I have found someone else that will be collecting these

I am acually really excited about these. I am glad in a way that they are animated since alot of work went into the designs for the series and it would be a shame if they were not going to be imortalised in plastic. I look forward to the series and all its toys. I will be collecting the entire line

If anyone wants to see what an animated figure with a realistic head would look like heres a picture:

Reaction score
Well Typed!

I have plenty of realistic clones to load into some V-19's and AT-TE's.

The figures look like crap, and I will be glad to not purchase them.

Thanks Hasbro, You've killed Marvel Legends, Screwed the Spider-man lines, Made Transformers look like Ani-jokes, are gonna kill the GI Joe franchise, and now your gonna kill the Star Wars Line too.

It's like they strive to kill toy line Momentum.

Maybe it's a good time to stop collecting all together, we're on our way to a recession anyway.

CLUCK HASBLOW!!

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'll be passing on this line. Just doesn't do much for me. The series looks good but imho the figures seem a bit disappointing. R2 I might grab when I see him, Yoda too, but that's it.

And depending on where I'm at financially when I find one, the AT-TE would be an excellent way to display my clones...

Reaction score
Gotta say that I'm torn here. I collected the previous animated clone wars figures due to the novelty of them, but this is another "new" line of figures.
I had already decided I'm not buying "new" things like Mighty Mugs and Transformers because of how many of the regular action figures come out each year. Between Galactic Heroes and the Legacy Collection of figures, I don't have the money or interest in adding something new. I buy one or two things that I like and forget about anything outside of those two main lines. (Bought a Greivous and Maul Transformer, a couple of Sideshow 12" figures, etc.) I'll likely buy the Greivous in the CW3D line, but that looks to be about it. 22 figures I don't have to buy saves me money, but I gotta say I'm disappointed that there are 22 other figures that aren't going to be made anytime soon.

The Homing Spider Droid and the AT-TE are automatics.

Reaction score
I understand a lot of people do not like the animated style figures. But honestly I highly doubt Hasbro has ruined the Star Wars line. The line will do fairly well I think especially with the younger audience that is the main target audience here.

The only thing that kind of stinks is that we won't be getting nearly as many realistic figures this year because this line will get a lot of attention in the fall and winter.

At least we get some nice vehicles that we probably otherwise would not be getting with this 3-D show. The AT-TE and Spider Droid. I doubt they would have made those w/out this line even though lots of folks wanted them.

I think this line will actually help Star Wars figures stay on the shelves and most likely will spawn more figures from the other areas - movies and EU in the future.

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it's the ruination of the modern SW line, I just think it's designed for a different market - younger kids, in an attempt to bring the next generation on board with the new style. And I respect Hasbro's decision for that.

Quite frankly, I have enough figures of the subjects that they've shown (don't need more Phase I clones - I can find the SL figure just fine) - so really what are we missing out on? I expect that the few gaps that aren't realistic compatible (Ahsoka for example) will be available in the realistic line at some point - but out of the eight figures that they've shown are there any that we REALLY needed?

The vehicles are fantastic, and will be welcome additions to the collection. The AT-TE is a STUNNING piece! So, overall it's a bit of a let down, but, over time, I think it's the right choice, as we do need to get the kids excited about the line!

'78

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
Quite frankly, I have enough figures of the subjects that they've shown (don't need more Phase I clones - I can find the SL figure just fine) - so really what are we missing out on? I expect that the few gaps that aren't realistic compatible (Ahsoka for example) will be available in the realistic line at some point - but out of the eight figures that they've shown are there any that we REALLY needed?
'78

This is the voice of reason that has been missing from all of these threads filled with complaints and knocks on the new line. Thank you '78 for this rational look at the situation, which is the way i have seen it since all the discussion started months ago. The bottom line here is we have the option to pick up some new styled figures should we choose to do so - i for one would much rather have the option of buying these than not having the option.

As you said, what are those who had hoped for realistic style really missing here? - Not a whole lot. My question has always been - What were you hoping for? A bunch of repacks? retools? brand new sculpts of figures that have been done to death over the last few years?

it's for all of these reasons that i'm happy that these figures look the way that they do - giving all of us an ADDED option in our collecting - these in no way SUBTRACT from Hasbro's offerings.

Reaction score
If there was any inkling or temptation to buy this line, it is completely gone now. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the fact that these are in animation style, it's just that they won't display well with my normal figures, so why start another display?

Reaction score
I won't be collecting much from this line...maybe the Grievous figure, but that's about it.

Having said that, I hope the kids go nuts for these figures, and I think they will.

Reaction score
DarthKozy said:
Since1978 said:
'78

This is the voice of reason that has been missing from all of these threads filled with complaints and knocks on the new line. Thank you '78 for this rational look at the situation, which is the way i have seen it since all the discussion started months ago. The bottom line here is we have the option to pick up some new styled figures should we choose to do so - i for one would much rather have the option of buying these than not having the option.

As you said, what are those who had hoped for realistic style really missing here? - Not a whole lot. My question has always been - What were you hoping for? A bunch of repacks? retools? brand new sculpts of figures that have been done to death over the last few years?

it's for all of these reasons that i'm happy that these figures look the way that they do - giving all of us an ADDED option in our collecting - these in no way SUBTRACT from Hasbro's offerings.
I agree wholeheartedly with this as well. How many of each of these characters do we already have in "realistic" style? I'm glad Hasbro decided to make the figures match the source material and I believe it will be a good strategy with the average casual consumer.

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I won't be collecting this line. Wow, after thousands of dollars spent on EVERY Star Wars figure made since 1995, I'm drawing the line here.

The blending of real and animated looks stupid. Hasbro should have picked one style or the other. I collected the original CW figures and liked the total animated look of them. I also collected the realistic CW figures made as well.

Oh well, at least I'll save some money this year.

Reaction score
DarthKozy said:
Well, there's one, for those few gaps that will need to get filled, they'll basically have to take two "new tooling" slots to get it done - take Ahsoka for example, they'll almost certainly do an animated one, but come 2009, I suspect that a number of people will be calling for her in the regular line, and that's where we'll run into having to take two "new tooling" slots to do the same figure.

That's about the only downside that I see. We'll get our big Grevious, and new SA Battle Droid, etc. those will all come with time, and probably were on the radar anyway.

So I'm a lot less worried about this than I was a week ago.

'78

Reaction score
Since1978 said:
Well, there's one, for those few gaps that will need to get filled, they'll basically have to take two "new tooling" slots to get it done - take Ahsoka for example, they'll almost certainly do an animated one, but come 2009, I suspect that a number of people will be calling for her in the regular line, and that's where we'll run into having to take two "new tooling" slots to do the same figure.

That's about the only downside that I see. We'll get our big Grevious, and new SA Battle Droid, etc. those will all come with time, and probably were on the radar anyway.

So I'm a lot less worried about this than I was a week ago.

'78
Well that's the big downer here. The money put in for new tooling here could have been put towards something else with realistic styling.

Why wait until 2009 or later for a big Grievous and realistic Ashoka?

They could have pulled off this line just as well with something like:
1) SA Battle Droid
2) New Grievous
3) New Armored Anakin
4) New Armored Obi-Wan (even though a very similar microsseries version is coming)
5) New Ashoka
6) CPT Rex - repaint/kitbash
7) Phase 1 clone repacks or repaints
8) ARC repacks or repaints
9) Yoda repack or retool
10) resculpted a Phase 1 helmet for a Cody that I'm sure is coming up in animated form.
11) Retooled Jedi
12) Retooled villains (we're getting an Asajj in comic form, and a Dooku in comic form)

Just put these on the new cardbacks so they appeal to this supposed new audience that has never bought a figure before.

I repeat my mantra:
I complain when I choose to "pass" because Hasbro has chosen NOT to make something I would otherwise want to buy.
It's a lost opportunity for me to expand my collection.

Reaction score
My first feelings were disappointment about the new line, but after thinking about it this weekend, I've decided that I don't mind them. As many of you stated, I've also had enough of certain figures and am glad that I get to pass on this line without feeling I'm missing something

Reaction score
While I'm really happy about the fact that these are animated because I need to save some money this year, I still hope they do well at retail. I'd hate to think that retailers might conclude that Star Wars is losing steam because this line doesn't move.

My biggest concern, however, is that stores will over order these figures because of the show and underorder on the Legacy Collection stuff. Sort of like how some retailers have over ordered on Legends leaving a lot of the TAC figures impossible to find.

I know Hasbro has said that these lines don't step on each other's toes since they're listed separately in the system, but that's BS. The people who place orders for the big box retailers know there's only so many pegs to devote to these things and since a lot of them are probably oblivious to just how big of a factor collectors are to Star Wars sales, they just order the stuff that sounds most familiar.

I can just see a Walmart purchaser looking at two lists last year and saying something like "Okay, this line has Darth Vader and Darth Maul and Yoda. I know them from the movies. We'll take 2000 cases. This other line has- who the heck is Darth Revan? We'll take 200 cases of those.
And this year it will be: "Okay, this Clone Wars line has Yoda and Obi-Wan and has a TV show. We'll take 2000 cases. This other line has- what's a Yarna? We'll take 200 cases of those."

Reaction score
I might pick up one or two for the novelty factor, but I just don't have the money or room to expand my focus from the 4" movie real figures.

Reaction score
nagauthier said:
While I'm really happy about the fact that these are animated because I need to save some money this year, I still hope they do well at retail. I'd hate to think that retailers might conclude that Star Wars is losing steam because this line doesn't move.

My biggest concern, however, is that stores will over order these figures because of the show and underorder on the Legacy Collection stuff. Sort of like how some retailers have over ordered on Legends leaving a lot of the TAC figures impossible to find.

I know Hasbro has said that these lines don't step on each other's toes since they're listed separately in the system, but that's BS. The people who place orders for the big box retailers know there's only so many pegs to devote to these things and since a lot of them are probably oblivious to just how big of a factor collectors are to Star Wars sales, they just order the stuff that sounds most familiar.

I can just see a Walmart purchaser looking at two lists last year and saying something like "Okay, this line has Darth Vader and Darth Maul and Yoda. I know them from the movies. We'll take 2000 cases. This other line has- who the heck is Darth Revan? We'll take 200 cases of those.
And this year it will be: "Okay, this Clone Wars line has Yoda and Obi-Wan and has a TV show. We'll take 2000 cases. This other line has- what's a Yarna? We'll take 200 cases of those."
Well put. I share these concerns. This multi-line strategy seems always to hurt the main line and most directly the collector community. Heroes & Villains, Greatest Battles, and Saga Legends all cluttered up the pegs and very clearly (to everyone except reps at Hasbro) stifled the distribution of the mainline figures that we were hunting for. That's not to say we didn't benefit from the repacks, especially us army-builders, but the benefit long outlasted its welcome every single time.

Clone Wars is a bit different, in that it is new, and it may draw in kids more than the repacked Vaders, and the TV show should keep kid interest high. I just don't see it having legs. I don't think collector's are going to help clear off these pegs in the way they have the abovementioned repack lines, and so it's pretty much up to the kids. If Hasbro is right, and kids are indeed the backbone of the 3.75" industry, than maybe it won't matter. I tend to think, though, that these are going to be overshipped and sit overlong, and that clone helmet packaging will not adequately distinguish itself from the stormtrooper helmet packaging. Our Legacy line will be cluttered over with Yodas and Anakins, and whatever wave arrives after the Cartoon Network wave is going to be very difficult to find.

I'm really going to look into buying figures on line, become a regular early bird at D&S, or something. I just don't have the patience to relive the nonsense from 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.