Why wouldn't Luke kill the Wampa and stay in its lair?

Reaction score
I realize that Mark Hamill didn't even want to maim the Wampa as he is an animal rights activist, but surely Luke Skywalker the character should have realized that it would only take a couple more blows to the Wampa to kill it dead. Then he could just stay inside the Wampa's lair which would surely be a better shelter than being out in a storm on Hoth. I think he exercised poor judgement here.

Reaction score
I’m guessing he just woke up and was scared *****less. It’s not like he had mastered his fear yet with what little-to-no training he had. IIRC expanded universe material suggested the Wampa lair contained more of them too.

Mark Hamill’s animal rights love is irrelevant to Luke Skywalker’s actions. I can’t help thinking what grilled arm of Wampa must taste like with a few beers and BBQ sauce however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
Who says that liar is home to only the one Wampa? If he stayed there, he could be ambushed by more of them at any moment. The deleted scenes featuring Wampa showed them attacking in number. Luke probably was aware of what the type of creature was once he saw it, and would surely consider the existence of others. One could even speculate that he sensed unseen others through the Force. The way the cut of the movie stands, only the audience sees just one. So we're left unaware that they're actually numerous and persistent in the area of the Rebel Base.

Reaction score
A lightsaber might be a formidable weapon, but Luke's not particularily skilled at using one at that point. The wampa is a fierce and giant predator. Would you rather cripple a rabid polar bear with your machete and get the Frak out of there? Or stay and risk more injuries by finishing it off. It lost one arm but could still maim easily if he stuck around.

Reaction score
Who says that liar is home to only the one Wampa? If he stayed there, he could be ambushed by more of them at any moment. The deleted scenes featuring Wampa showed them attacking in number. Luke probably was aware of what the type of creature was once he saw it, and would surely consider the existence of others. One could even speculate that he sensed unseen others through the Force. The way the cut of the movie stands, only the audience sees just one. So we're left unaware that they're actually numerous and persistent in the area of the Rebel Base.
pretty much what iwas going to say. i have always thought that there was a massive tunnel system in the caves and that there could have been a lot more wampas down there,
possibly even more that were out hunting already could come home and be like "get offa my lawn boi :p "

Reaction score
The original script had several Wampas that they trapped in the rebel base. (C3PO pulls the sign off that says don't open door.) & several Imperial Snow Troopers are killed by said Wampas. This is the source of the "Is there paper in the future?" jokes

Ultimatly the Wampas looked unrealistic & were cut from the story. You can see the cut scenes on youtube.

Reaction score
The original script had several Wampas that they trapped in the rebel base. (C3PO pulls the sign off that says don't open door.) & several Imperial Snow Troopers are killed by said Wampas. This is the source of the "Is there paper in the future?" jokes

Ultimatly the Wampas looked unrealistic & were cut from the story. You can see the cut scenes on youtube.
I'm so glad the whole Wampa attack subplot didn't make it into the final cut of the film. I feel like the Wampa was much more effective as a big scary creature you barely see, although I suppose one could argue that it seems like one of those unrelated-to-the-plot openings on The Simpsons in how it plays out in the final cut. Actually, I think there are some fragments of the Wampa attack remaining but they're barely noticeable. Isn't 21B working on a Tauntaun injured from the Wampa attack on Echo Base in the background of one scene?