Why was Kenner totally unware of Luke's incorrectly colored yellow lightsaber?

Reaction score
I could see why Farmboy Luke came with a yellow saber because Obi-Wan had blue (even though he's clearly shown with yellow on his cardback photo) and they probably wanted to keep the figures unique. We also know why Jedi Luke started out Blue but they actually fixed that to green where there probably ended up with a waste of blue sabers.

But when Bespin Luke came out, what happened? There was nothing telling from preproduction of ESB that Luke wouldn't have a blue saber. Plus we all know the saber he was carrying from the 1st movie was blue. Another thing is that the saber was a newly sculpted accessory so there was no possible leftover yellow's they wanted to get rid of. So why didn't it end up being a blue saber to begin with? Was it still the fact that Obi-Wan's was blue and still getting released even though he had the older telescoping saber? And what about the fact that both Farmboy Luke and Bespin Luke eventually did go through a running change and given brown hair but they elected not to equally do a running change on the lightsaber color? At that time, it would have been the most likely opportunity.

Adding this, the 12" Obi-Wan saber was yellow, while Luke's was blue. Obi-Wans cardback and 12" box photos all have yellow lightsaber colors so it seems like Kenner did get the 12" figure correct.

For a bonus, the Force Lightsabers....Kenner never made a blue. Empire strikes back they were still making a yellow. I always wanted a blue

Reaction score
My guess is that they wanted a variety of colors regardless of whether or not they were screen accurate. After all, they were just toys. Considering Obi Wan actually used his saber in battle they probably decided he would get the correct color. I imagine it made sense to just keep the color the same for the Bespin figure. Kids clearly didn't seem to mind back then since these were selling like crazy.

By the time Jedi came out the quality of the figures was vastly improving. Sculpts were more accurate, cloth items, better accessories. It was a good time to upgrade the saber color. I imagine it was considered during the Empire line as well. As for the hair colors, I read somewhere that it had more to do w/ which factory was producing the figures and not really a conscious choice. I could be wrong on this.

Reaction score
That bugged me even back then. Even for a 4 or 5 year old I was able to tell the difference. The other thing was Luke couldn’t hold a blaster even though he used it though out ANH.

Reaction score
Kenner says blue but factory goes YELLLLLOOOWWW

Reaction score
When I was a kid I thought it must be a mistake, because I saw a picture of luke with a blue lightsaber, and obiwan is clearly shown with a yellow lightsaber on his cardback, so I switched them.

Reaction score
ROTJ blankets and stuff show Luke with a RED lightsaber. The grown ups, man. They can’t get anything right.

Reaction score
Personally I've always thought in the original version of SW Luke's lightsaber looked white, not blue. As a kid I assumed Kenner made the lightsaber yellow because a white lightsaber with a mostly white figure would have looked terrible. It is in only in ESB does his lightsaber look blue. I now wonder if they made Bespin Luke's lightsaber yellow to stay consistent with Tatoonine Luke.

Reaction score
The video posted above makes sense of it. And it has also come from a Kenner employee that they decided to just keep the colors the way they were for variety and to help kids remember what went with who. It always bothered me as well, but I think what bothered me more was after the ESB style saber came out, they never went back and re-tooled the arms on those three to switch to that style saber.

Reaction score
I cut the saber off the handle so that it could fit. I always mutilated stuff to make it work. 😬

Reaction score
The video posted above makes sense of it. And it has also come from a Kenner employee that they decided to just keep the colors the way they were for variety and to help kids remember what went with who. It always bothered me as well, but I think what bothered me more was after the ESB style saber came out, they never went back and re-tooled the arms on those three to switch to that style saber.
From a marketing stand-point it makes sense to not re-tool the figures to fit newer weapons. It means you need to buy more of/all of the figures. A lot of those decisions just comes down to pulling in more profits.

Reaction score
From a marketing stand-point it makes sense to not re-tool the figures to fit newer weapons.

Did it, though? All of those that had the original Luke, Darth, Ben would definitely want the new ones with separate sabers! I know I would have, as I disliked the limited playability with built-in sabers and though it was odd). If you already bought/had a figure of those from SW or even ESB, chances are your parents did not want to buy you another one (although my parents were rather bad with that, I got double, triples and quadruples of figures (and at times it was also good as I had 4 Snowtroopers)).

Reaction score
Did it, though? All of those that had the original Luke, Darth, Ben would definitely want the new ones with separate sabers! I know I would have, as I disliked the limited playability with built-in sabers and though it was odd). If you already bought/had a figure of those from SW or even ESB, chances are your parents did not want to buy you another one (although my parents were rather bad with that, I got double, triples and quadruples of figures (and at times it was also good as I had 4 Snowtroopers)).
100% sure Kenner was thinking about how to make even more cash off the Star Wars line by the time the latter set of figs was released, since it was a super hot toy line at the time. If you just think about how to make more money at it, then it makes sense. If figure A can't hold figure B's weapon, you need to buy both if you want to play with them and follow the flow of the SW story line. A lot of internal decisions came down to development costs vs. profits, and I remember reading somewhere that a lot of small details were compromised due to cost, such as the number of deco colors on any particular figure. Heck, if they were getting shot down on putting more than 1-2 paint apps on a figure, they'd probably go to blows over retooling an otherwise already successfully selling figure.

Looking at how parents dote on their kids today, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of moms and dads cave when their kids get all pouty about getting another Luke Skywalker figure. Back then, we just wanted to play with the figures and mimic what we saw on the silver screen. Happy that you were able to benefit from your parents! LOL.

The toy biz is way different now, with most of the SW stuff going straight into storage for what people think will be their nest-egg.

Reaction score
100% sure Kenner was thinking about how to make even more cash off the Star Wars line by the time the latter set of figs was released, since it was a super hot toy line at the time. If you just think about how to make more money at it, then it makes sense. If figure A can't hold figure B's weapon, you need to buy both if you want to play with them and follow the flow of the SW story line. A lot of internal decisions came down to development costs vs. profits, and I remember reading somewhere that a lot of small details were compromised due to cost, such as the number of deco colors on any particular figure. Heck, if they were getting shot down on putting more than 1-2 paint apps on a figure, they'd probably go to blows over retooling an otherwise already successfully selling figure.

Looking at how parents dote on their kids today, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of moms and dads cave when their kids get all pouty about getting another Luke Skywalker figure. Back then, we just wanted to play with the figures and mimic what we saw on the silver screen. Happy that you were able to benefit from your parents! LOL.

The toy biz is way different now, with most of the SW stuff going straight into storage for what people think will be their nest-egg.
Someone else said Kenner thought about resculpting the early figures like Vader and Chewie but they thought that parents would revolt.

Kids today seem to gravitate towards LEGO Star Wars as the main toy line.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I doubt many parents were paying attention to how many R2's or Luke's their child had. As long as it was keeping the child busy and out of their hair.

Reaction score
Someone else said Kenner thought about resculpting the early figures like Vader and Chewie but they thought that parents would revolt.
Interesting. I guess the "no value added" angle would apply for simple resculpts, and parents would just have seen it as a money grab. Good lawd I would hate to have to track down an orange Vader bespin lightsaber in today's market.

Today's parents just throw stuff at their kids to compensate for the lack of time they spend with them (at least pre-COVID era). Same reason there's a child obesity problem in the US: Parents can't stomach seeing their kids pout or cry because they can't have something. It's easier to just give them what they want.

Reaction score
Interesting. I guess the "no value added" angle would apply for simple resculpts, and parents would just have seen it as a money grab. Good lawd I would hate to have to track down an orange Vader bespin lightsaber in today's market.

What in the name of Gilligan is an Orange Bespin Vader lightsaber?

Today's parents just throw stuff at their kids to compensate for the lack of time they spend with them (at least pre-COVID era). Same reason there's a child obesity problem in the US: Parents can't stomach seeing their kids pout or cry because they can't have something. It's easier to just give them what they want.

How many kids do you have?

Reaction score
Luke's yellow lightsaber question is finally answered around the 42:24 mark

He also explains the reason for Luke's hair variants around the 40:34 mark.

Lex

Reaction score
They just made the colors up.

Biggest. Facepalm. Ever.
If someone thought something else then that's on them. Like anyone cared about kids' toys in the 70s based on one goofy scifi movie couple of months after its release.

Reaction score
They could have painted them all gray and they still would have been a success :D

Reaction score
If someone thought something else then that's on them. Like anyone cared about kids' toys in the 70s based on one goofy scifi movie couple of months after its release.
A leading theory was bad advance art from Lucasfilm. Ben had a yellow lightsaber on his cardfront photo.

Reaction score
A leading theory was bad advance art from Lucasfilm. Ben had a yellow lightsaber on his cardfront photo.
Kenner created the card backs. Not Lucasfilm. I did notice something the other night when I was watching A New Hope Bluray. When Luke is using the saber on the Falcon with the training ball, some shots did look almost yellow. Maybe Kenner saw those shots and went with Yellow for Luke? Or they could have assumed every saber was going to be the same color, which is why they also show Ben with a yellow saber on the card.

Reaction score
Keep in mind a lot of the early stuff was black & white photos, while I assume color was available in the end they were expecting close enough for toys,

had they known how popular it would be then maybe they would have been more accurate (maybe not since toy-ish looking toy help with they likeness rights issue, that had not been tested yet) So there might be some legal logic in play also.

Reaction score
I never had an issue as a kid, because I grew up with ROTJ Luke - didn't own the yellow versions until I was an adult collector. I have to admit, I do like the variety, but Hasbro actually "corrected" this in the Retro Collection, by putting a blue saber with Snowspeeder Luke, so anyone that wants an official Kenner / Hasbro blue retro saber, has that option. What I find equally interesting is that during the POTJ days, Kenner / Hasbro continued this flubbed tradition with a couple Jedi figures, giving Plo Koon a yellow saber, and Saesee Tiin a purple saber, since neither had an established color at this time. It wasn't until AOTC, that Mace Windu sported the first purple saber on screen, while the other Jedi were green or blue. Years later, and we now have canon yellow and white sabers, and the EU sports just about every variety as well - so perhaps Kenner was just before their time in selecting this color.

Reaction score
I never had an issue as a kid, because I grew up with ROTJ Luke - didn't own the yellow versions until I was an adult collector. I have to admit, I do like the variety, but Hasbro actually "corrected" this in the Retro Collection, by putting a blue saber with Snowspeeder Luke, so anyone that wants an official Kenner / Hasbro blue retro saber, has that option. What I find equally interesting is that during the POTJ days, Kenner / Hasbro continued this flubbed tradition with a couple Jedi figures, giving Plo Koon a yellow saber, and Saesee Tiin a purple saber, since neither had an established color at this time. It wasn't until AOTC, that Mace Windu sported the first purple saber on screen, while the other Jedi were green or blue. Years later, and we now have canon yellow and white sabers, and the EU sports just about every variety as well - so perhaps Kenner was just before their time in selecting this color.
That's right! And the mail away Mace Windu figure came with a blue blade, because we never saw him use his saber in TPM. I know Hasbro was trying to stick to the original Kenner figures with the Retro line, but that would have been the perfect time to actually give them the correct colors, especially when you consider the Retro line is targeted at adults. Farm boy and Bespin Luke both could have come with blue sabers.

Reaction score
Luke's yellow lightsaber question is finally answered around the 42:24 mark

He also explains the reason for Luke's hair variants around the 40:34 mark.
I was there about 25 feet to the left of the camera. Had a chance to take my 9 year old. Had a blast....

Got Jim to sign his favorite toy that he designed

0f82e41cc417aa8d19ef27edbdb99fda.jpg
23b8c92ced2555916792a9184e91a5fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You know what I'd like to know as well - why does the Bespin Luke have a nicely sculpted and accurate saber hilt on the figure, but the saber accessory itself doesn't match at all, lol. The yellow saber looks like a wooden play sword.