why does my AFA figure have the wrong weapon?

Reaction score
i bought an AFA85 han solo trenchcoat with plain collar.

it CLEARLY has a blue blaster with it, and not a black blaster? i mean, it's not even one of the kinda dark blue ones.

what gives? why are we paying premiums for figures if AFA is going to be lazy and just package any figure with any weapon? what kind of authentication and grading am i paying for??!?!

i was only buying this figure because of the COO variation, but since his coat goes past his feet, i can't even trust them now to do that. who knows what i bought..

Reaction score
The first time I saw such a instance, I contacted the AFA to ask about it.

I'm not familar with what weapons that particular figure can be found with MOC. But I tell you that some figures do come MOC with different weapons. For instance, the red snag can be found with a stormtrooper's blaster. The older AFA policy allowed them to grade loose figures with that weapon variation since it was a weapon variation that they actually do see on MOC specimens. But I know they have changed that policy and now they will only grade a loose red snag with a stormtroopers weapon if it actually came packaged with that weapon. In other words, from a cut card or baggie with the alternate weapon.

Completely incorrect weapons were at times packaged with the wrong figures as well (not speaking of known variations - just mistakes), so although I can't state it for a fact, I would expect there are also cases of 'U' graded loose figures with those same incorrect weapons they were packaged with in the factory. It wouldn't be the AFAs job to correct factory mistakes. Of course, then you can imagine what happens next... someone see it and concludes the AFA messed up. Maybe Tom would be able to confirm whether they keep incorrect wepons with 'U' graded figures if they came that way from the factory...

I'm all for the AFA being careful about what figures and accessories they allow together, but really... does it make sense to make too big of a deal out of it when Kenner, the toys manufacturer, sometimes got it wrong? If you bought a vintage MOC packaged with the wrong weapon would you think so negatively of it?

Leif

Reaction score
LordWill said:
what gives? why are we paying premiums for figures if AFA is going to be lazy and just package any figure with any weapon? what kind of authentication and grading am i paying for??!?!
Leif is right. Probably just a factory error, that AFA encased like the got it. Like they suppose to do.

I don't know if they stated the incorrect weapon on the label. If they didn't, then you have a point. But to say you can't trust AFA on this is a bit shortsighted. Unless you figure doesn't have a "U" grade.

-Alex

Reaction score
Hello,

If the weapon is the blue ESB version Han blaster, then AFA has made an error. When they make an error, they recase the figure for free and will replace the weapon free of charge as well. I suggest contacting TL at custserv@toygrader.com to have the error corrected free of charge. I wouldn't be concerned about the COO markings being mistaken. I have yet to personally witness an error of that type.

Thanks,

Tom

Reaction score
it was a blue blaster, and it wasn't graded U so i figured it was loose, and not carded.

thanks for the info. i'll see what i can do about it.

Reaction score
I believe that packaging with the wrong accessory is not all that uncommon of factory flaw. Perhapps that is the case with this one.

Scott