Why do so many collectors dislike POTF2?

Reaction score
The great thing about this line, as others have pointed out is how it really tried to be a "complete" line. It seemed like it made it a goal to release all the figures from the Vintage line. It got close. I mean, the line released the only Yakface figure in the modern line. That says something.

Reaction score
The great thing about this line, as others have pointed out is how it really tried to be a "complete" line. It seemed like it made it a goal to release all the figures from the Vintage line. It got close. I mean, the line released the only Yakface figure in the modern line. That says something.
And it branched out into the Expanded Universe. Add to that the very fun Shadows of the Empire subline of 1996 and the POTF2 series went way more places than the classic Kenner line ever even dreamed.

Reaction score
When I was a kid I loved the POTF2 line. I still remember my first figure - Luke in X-wing gear. I remember having 2 Luke figures in my Snowspeeder because there was no Dak figure lol. As a kid I didn't care about articulation, head sculpture or any of that. I was just thrilled to have my favorite figures. Now that I'm older, and I agree with echoplex, it is evolution. Now I want articulation, head sculpture, correct accessories, etc. Just compare the POTF X-wing to the FX X-wing. I can't even go back to the POTF X-wing, the new molds are far superior. As its been said earlier, the "steroid-look" doesn't help either. As new figures come out with better articulation, I get rid of the older ones with less articulation.

The only POTF2 figure I still have is Dash Rendar. Shadows is my favorite EU story. Loved the book and the game. Its a shame we only have 1 figure of him, and he is in much need of an update. I also have his ship, the Outrider, which I'd also like to see an update on. As a kid, I remember the thrill in trying to find a Dash figure. My uncle, who used to work at Hasbro had to buy me the figure because I could never find him. I remember finding the Outrider at Toys R Us, and asking my Dad to double my allowance so I could afford it haha. If/when Dash and the Outrider get updated, I would probably hold onto them. Dash doesn't look jacked up as much as the others, and the Outrider, as inaccurate as it was, I still like it. I'm a bit OCD with my collection - I can't do The Vintage collection figures with, say, POTF ships. My figures from a certain line have to go with their ships from the same line.

I may pick up a POTF Snowspeeder at some point. I have a custom Dash Rendar in Snowspeeder gear (POTF figure). I'd like to give him a Snowspeeder, representing Dash from the Battle of Hoth. Or should I not bother, now that the EU has been discarded? :|

Oh well.

Reaction score
Shadows of the empire was the first toy line I went out of my way to complete lol especially after reading that awesome book!
I still remember how excited I was by the entire Shadows of the Empire event. And finding those purple cards for the first time in stores? Awesome times.

Reaction score
Here's the custom Dash figure in Snowspeeder gear I was talking about earlier. Got this off ebay for real cheap.

Reaction score
That's an interesting Point and after having read your post, I think you're right. When I look back, I really had that Feeling that's where they were headed and they included figures that could/should have been on the original line, like Tarkin, Sandtrooper, and Rebel Trooper, to Name a few. They really did go for that complete what there was and add to it.

Reaction score
I've made the same point often - actually, POTF2 was the ONLY modern line that really tried to be that all-encompassing. It was excellent, and I am glad "POTF3" is now here to take up the baton.

Reaction score
I've made the same point often - actually, POTF2 was the ONLY modern line that really tried to be that all-encompassing. It was excellent, and I am glad "POTF3" is now here to take up the baton.
We'll see if the Legends line becomes as extensive as the POTF2 line was. It's too early to tell. I'm hoping Hasbro gets the hint and makes it a "complete" line.

Reaction score
We'll see if the Legends line becomes as extensive as the POTF2 line was. It's too early to tell. I'm hoping Hasbro gets the hint and makes it a "complete" line.
It will only be complete if they re-release some of those playsets and ships from the 90s as well.:D

Reaction score
I personally love the potf2 figures, as a kid I opened everything untill the 12 inch line collector series came out and made me a real collector and everything was left in the box and on the card. I remember trying so hard to find the long light saber cards again and couldnt. I got out of collecting for 10 years today I scored at a shop that does toys comics movies ect every long light saber card there was made! I just got back into collecting and this makes me excited. I am going to get into the original vintage line and the reboot vintage collection.

Reaction score
I personally love the potf2 figures, as a kid I opened everything untill the 12 inch line collector series came out and made me a real collector and everything was left in the box and on the card. I remember trying so hard to find the long light saber cards again and couldnt. I got out of collecting for 10 years today I scored at a shop that does toys comics movies ect every long light saber card there was made! I just got back into collecting and this makes me excited. I am going to get into the original vintage line and the reboot vintage collection.
What about the long tray short saber variants? ;) I jest, cool find with the store today. Welcome to the boards!

Reaction score
I love POTF 2. It's the line I grew up with. Vintage is my favorite overall I think, but POTF 2 certainly has a near and dear place in my heart. I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. I heard one guy say he hated the line because it isn't worth any money. WTF?

Let me tell you something. If you're into any hobby for the money, you're in it for the wrong reason.

Me? I open all my stuff. I couldn't care less about MOC. I want to touch my stuff, feel it in my hands, put the figures in their vehicles, etc... Much more enjoyable that way.

I just bought ordered a bunch of carded POTF 2 figures for $3.00 a pop the other day. And guess what? When they arrive, I'm going to be like a kid on Christmas morning, because I'm going to open ALL of them!

Reaction score
That's the beauty of them not holding their value/being produced in such large amounts. I don't feel weird for opening them. I'm an opener for all figures, but if I had any TVC figures still in package (apart form Episode I) I would hesitate opening them. Not because I don't think figures should be kept in the package but because they are so ridiculous inflated in value that if I keep one in package and sell it I could buy 5-10 figures loose. I've sold a lot of my TVC loose figure for that very reason. I enjoyed them, but their monetary value has exceeded my enjoyment. I look at a Commander Cody and think this figure is now work $20-$30. Do I enjoy him more than $30 worth of different figures?

Reaction score
I have a fair bit of admiration and respect for this line. I love the sculpting and textures on figures like Gammorean and 2-1B, and they are so cheap these days! Most comic and hobby shops around here have tons of them, carded, at 2-for-$5 or less.

Was thinking of grabbing a few large Ebay lots and seeing if I still have a taste for them.

Reaction score
Some still hold up great, some not so much. Stick with new likeness and beyond and you'll be reasonably happy.
POTF2 is the last line that produced consistently good head sculpts. People who talk about the latest 5POA Han as being good/great/perfect obviously never owned CommTech Han.

Reaction score
POTF2 is the last line that produced consistently good head sculpts. People who talk about the latest 5POA Han as being good/great/perfect obviously never owned CommTech Han.
I personally prefer the Death Star Escape POTJ Han Solo head but that was an easy enough fix. Boil and pop! :)

Reaction score
I love POTF 2. It's the line I grew up with. Vintage is my favorite overall I think, but POTF 2 certainly has a near and dear place in my heart. I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. I heard one guy say he hated the line because it isn't worth any money. WTF?

Let me tell you something. If you're into any hobby for the money, you're in it for the wrong reason.

Me? I open all my stuff. I couldn't care less about MOC. I want to touch my stuff, feel it in my hands, put the figures in their vehicles, etc... Much more enjoyable that way.

I just bought ordered a bunch of carded POTF 2 figures for $3.00 a pop the other day. And guess what? When they arrive, I'm going to be like a kid on Christmas morning, because I'm going to open ALL of them!
I love this line for the same reasons! I grew up with it so it will always hold a special place in my heart (I think this is the same reason so many vintage collectors like the vintage line).

I agree most of the figures are not worth much but there are some nice rare figures in the line and also tons of variants if you are into that type of thing! Personally I have gotten more into the bootlegs from this line and the pre-production stuff.

-Eliseo

Reaction score
The POTF2 Luke Jedi is one of my favorites- likely because it was one of the first of the line when it came out that was tough for me to find.

When I finally found him, I kept him MOC and just recently sent it out to AFA mostly for sentimental reasons to keep it encased. It graded an 80.

Reaction score
I love this line... got me back into collecting. Three are 85/8.5 and x-wing luke ls is a 90 the rest are U85. I need to add the last 8 to complete this run. :0)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I grew up with the vinatge line but must say that the potf2 line got me back into collecting action figures again. Who cares if they are not worth anything or overproduced. The important thing is that they bring back awesome memories.

Reaction score
This line, in my book was awesome. I quit collecting when sculpts became more "real". I remember working as a bag boy at a local grocery store. just graduated high school and had not bought a figure in forever. A friend of mine came into the store waving a storm trooper and Luke screaming "the toys are out!" I immediately took a lunch and flew to a Walmart two blocks away. I came home with Han and Chewie....felt just like when I was a kid!

Reaction score
Ah, the good ol' days when I was a kid and just wanted cool Star Wars toys to play with. then Hasbro teased the teen in me with nice sculpts and super articulation. That lasted into my mid-twenties. Before the dark times. Before Disney.

Reaction score
These POTF2 card backs were also my favorites of the modern lines- probably just because they were first out and it was a blast finding new figures at the time.

Reaction score
Most good acquisitions happened while I was at work. My wife but then GF called me at work and said do you have..and commenced to rattle off a list of new figures i did not know were coming out I said no why? She said oh I just found them at TRU. A while later she shows up at my job with a huge bag of the complete set that was released that day....been married 15 years due to things like this.

When TPM was releasing sneak peak figures I got a call from a friend who worked at a nearby Target. He said come over now I got something for you. It was the sneak STAP droids. Looking back those droids suck as bad guys but looked killer when we did not know they sucked.....

Reaction score
These POTF2 card backs were also my favorites of the modern lines- probably just because they were first out and it was a blast finding new figures at the time.
I agree, I am a huge fan of the cardbacks. They were very simple and nicely done. I also like the fact cards on the back! Learned a lot of interesting stuff about a lot of characters that way!

-Eliseo

Reaction score
I actually still use my POTF 2 Stormtroopers in my display. They are usually behind the more recent versions. If you are one a budget those are great army builders.

Reaction score
The cardbacks were very nice. A lot of the early figures were just atrocious but the line picked up a bit later in its cycle for sure. There are definitely still some gems to be found.

Reaction score
I have a new appreciation for some of the POTF2 figures. I'm not a fan of the beefy sculpts, but some of the aliens and EU figures actually turned out rather nice. Pote Snitkin is probably my favorite figure from that era, and its still a great sculpt. I'm actually picking up some POTF2 figures to fill voids that Hasbro will now never complete when it comes to resculpts.

Reaction score
To be honest all the people who hates on the POTF2 I've seen were all of the time people online. Everyone I know who collects SW enjoys it and own many of these toys.

Reaction score
POTF2, yes it is dated, but to me it marks the return of Star Wars collecting in my life. I will never part with those figures, too many good memories for me.

Reaction score
I'm another child of the POTF2 era so I love it.

By the end of the POTF2 line I turned into a collector. What made me jealous of the vintage figures was the definitive sense that each figure was the only version of that character or costume. POTF2 has like 10 Darth Vaders, 7 Farm Boy Lukes, and 4 ANH Leia's. You never feel like you have it all and i'm sure most POTF2 collectors don't really want them all.