Why do so many collectors dislike POTF2?

Reaction score
Star Wars Power of the Force 2 is what really got me back into action figures. Back then in 1995-1998 I was in high school. I was pretty much one of those kids from the 80s who grew up in the mid late 19990s in high school losing interesting in G.I. Joe but I was into comic books more back then and still playing the Super Nintendo even when the Playstation came around.

I thought the new ASP droid was the bees knees along with the first wave of Power of the Force. Didnt care about Princess Leia having a "monkey face" or whatever. That and seeing figures made of characters like Ishi Tib and Piett and Tarkin and even a B'Omarr spider monk which was a Star Wars Club thing only.

Reaction score
Hey i thought that figure came out waaayyyy after potf2. Like during the attack of the clones era.
No doubt that the Toy Fair Vader is among the tops of the POTF2 exclusives ever made.

The saber is extremely fragile as it actually protrudes out of the top of the bubble- before I had sent mine in to AFA for grading, I had it in a star case and still worried about it somehow breaking.

Reaction score
1998's RH Vader is still the best version of Vader with that feature, by far.

Reaction score
1998's RH Vader is still the best version of Vader with that feature, by far.
Agreed - this is a great figure. I remember how tough this was to find back in '98; I got the last one at a Wal-mart I never go to, and never saw it again.

The 12" Hasbro electronic DV w/removable helmet that came out the same year is also fairly well-done....

Reaction score
Darth Vader Removable Helmet figure rocks. I loved the potf2 line. I miss when the greedo, hammerhead and etc came out with the green and red and started the whole mix effect on the pegs. Those were the days.I know there was a potf2 site that specialized it the line, but they scared a lot away including myself. I have amazing pieces (Really Just 2) that would blow minds, but I keep em in the black hole. Maybe if I get them graded I will share them down the road.

Reaction score
I did get my 2002 Toyfare Vader AFA graded and it scored a 90! By far and away it's still one of my favorites from the line and a keeper in my collection.

Reaction score
I think for a lot of Star Wars collectors, POTF2 isn't so much despised. Rather, folks that have been collecting since the line's reintroduction in 1995 are dead sick of seeing the stuff. I don't dislike POTF2. In fact, I have very fond memories of store hopping, flipping through the new Tomart's to see the next wave of guys, and grabbing figures never before produced. But if I attend another flea market or toy show and see another plastic bin full of run-down, green-carded, foil-stickered figures, it'll be too soon. Don't get me started on beat-up Cinema Scene 3-Packs.

Being a serious vintage collector, I don't pay much attention to the various modern lines but I do have a certain level of appreciation for POTF2. Not the sculpts, certainly, but I do appreciate the role they played in reintroducing Star Wars to the toy market. Until POTF2 kicked into high gear, it had been years since I had seen a store aisle dedicated to Star Wars toys. It was nice to see again. I guess I do recognize how the design of the toys fit into the context of the 90's toy trend but being a late 70's-early 80's kid, 90's toys were completely off my radar until POTF2 hit stores. So...I was a bit shocked by the direction Kenner/Hasbro took.

-Bobby

Reaction score
I think for a lot of Star Wars collectors, POTF2 isn't so much despised. Rather, folks that have been collecting since the line's reintroduction in 1995 are dead sick of seeing the stuff.

Being a serious vintage collector, I don't pay much attention to the various modern lines but I do have a certain level of appreciation for POTF2. Not the sculpts, certainly, but I do appreciate the role they played in reintroducing Star Wars to the toy market. Until POTF2 kicked into high gear, it had been years since I had seen a store aisle dedicated to Star Wars toys. It was nice to see again. I guess I do recognize how the design of the toys fit into the context of the 90's toy trend but being a late 70's-early 80's kid, 90's toys were completely off my radar until POTF2 hit stores. So...I was a bit shocked by the direction Kenner/Hasbro took.

-Bobby
Definitely. Being another '80's kid, I do remember how pleased I was that this POTF2 line began back in '95. Though I was already an adult at that point, I got back into collecting big time & it was a lot easier than when I was a kid, since I had slightly more spending $ & a car so I could drive around and search for these toys.

However, I agree that I did get sick of seeing the green cards by the time the late '90's rolled around. These were just way too overproduced. Then, in the early 200X's you had the big POTF2 sales at Kay-bee, TRU, etc. & while this was great for filling holes in your collection @ great prices, seeing the POTF2 design did get tiresome after a while.

I actually think the purple SOTE cards & the green POTF2 cards were probably the worst packaging that we've had in the SW line. Though I know a lot of people dislike TBS, I still think the packaging is better than POTF2...

Reaction score
I loved the potf2 line. I miss when the greedo, hammerhead and etc came out with the green and red and started the whole mix effect on the pegs. Those were the days
When the Luke Stormtrooper/Greedo/Hammerhead/Jawa/Sandperson/DS G. wave first hit in Fall 1996 on the red cards, I remember searching all over for them & not finding them anywhere. These were arguably the toughest figures to find for me @ retail. I'm guessing they were produced in small #'s...

I did find all of this wave when they were re-issued on the green cards in late '96/early '97....

Reaction score
The POTF2 Vader w/Removable Helmet is still one of the few POTF2 figures I've held onto after upgrading so many of my figures. It was one of the few must-have figures at the time that made me just want them.

Reaction score
I agree, the POTF Vader RH is still the best version of that figure. I also think the POTF Emperor is the best version of him we have. I am not a fan of these smiling Emperor figures that keep coming out

Reaction score
I agree, the POTF Vader RH is still the best version of that figure. I also think the POTF Emperor is the best version of him we have. I am not a fan of these smiling Emperor figures that keep coming out
Definitely agree about the POTF RH Vader; this was one of the most difficult figures to find back in 1998 - I remember seeing only one of them at retail at an out-of-the-way Wal-mart, and considering myself lucky that I could even find this.

Re: the POTF2 Emperor, that was a great figure as well. As a representation of the way the Emperor looked for most of ROTJ, I agree this is the best version.

That being said, I also am a big fan of the Emperor "sneak peak" figure that came out in late 1998; this one had the removable lightning coming out below the hands, and was very similar to the POTF2 sculpt. As a kid back in the vintage days, I remember talking to someone about how cool it would be if the Vintage Emperor had lighting coming out of his hands; but, it took until the POTF2 era before they could do this properly....

Reaction score
because the figures are rigid AND in dynamic poses. I like VINTAGE which is rigid, BUT symmetrical. Not with one foot forward, other foot back, which kills possible poses. They might as well be statues.

Reaction score
Agree that the action postures and beefcake initial sculptings don't have the charm of our beloved vintage figures, but at the time in the mid '90's I personally still chased after POTF2 as much, if not more than, my vintage collecting habits- if anything the POTF2 stoked the fire so to speak on my entire SW collection. The 2002 Toy Fair Vader is still cool to this day!

Reaction score
The two biggest reasons:

1) - Overly comic book-influenced physiques early on. Also, a lot of the figure had somewhat cartoony sculpts, especially in the faces. This was more evident in the line's first three years ('95-'97).

2) - The extreme poses the figures were sculpted in. With limited articulation this just made some figures really awkward or unattractive.

I will say that when the line debuted I was blind to these reasons. Just seeing Darth Vader or the Stormtrooper in a new line with detailed sculpting and paint was just so cool. I remember looking at my vintage Stormie and thinking how great the new '95 figure looked in comparison. And the same thing happened everytime a new and improved sculpt came along. Over time it became obvious the POTF2 line was not nearly as good as I thought it was when it was brand new. Most of the figures are just dated now. I do feel a lot of nostalgia for the line, much like the vintage Kenner line. I am glad I got into the line right at it's inception in June of '95. Experiencing the excitement and freshness of the line went it debuted; and then to watch it grow and expand into so many figures was very special. The line was also special because we got to see so many figures for the first time: Dagobah Luke, Stormtrooper Han, Sprit Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda, Cantina Band Member, Sandtrooper, Snowspeeder Luke, Wedge, Biggs, Tarkin, Wuher, Garindan, Dr Evazan, Slave Leia, Lak Sivrak, Mon Mothma, Rebel Fleet Trooper, Vizam, Barada, Pote Snitkin, Ishi Tib, Piett, Oola, Kabe, Muftak, Labria, NabrunLieds, Uncle Owen, Takeel, Aunt Beru, Ceremony Luke, Ceremony Leia, Ewok Leia and the Treadwell Droid. It was just fun to get so many new figures.

So it holds a special place in my heart. But, it is also quite dated and somewhat archaic looking in hindsight by today's standards.

Reaction score
I will say that when the line debuted I was blind to these reasons. Just seeing Darth Vader or the Stormtrooper in a new line with detailed sculpting and paint was just so cool. I remember looking at my vintage Stormie and thinking how great the new '95 figure looked in comparison. And the same thing happened everytime a new and improved sculpt came along. Over time it became obvious the POTF2 line was not nearly as good as I thought it was when it was brand new. Most of the figures are just dated now. I do feel a lot of nostalgia for the line, much like the vintage Kenner line. I am glad I got into the line right at it's inception in June of '95. Experiencing the excitement and freshness of the line went it debuted; and then to watch it grow and expand into so many figures was very special. The line was also special because we got to see so many figures for the first time: Dagobah Luke, Stormtrooper Han, Sprit Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda, Cantina Band Member, Sandtrooper, Snowspeeder Luke, Wedge, Biggs, Tarkin, Wuher, Garindan, Dr Evazan, Slave Leia, Lak Sivrak, Mon Mothma, Rebel Fleet Trooper, Vizam, Barada, Pote Snitkin, Ishi Tib, Piett, Oola, Kabe, Muftak, Labria, NabrunLieds, Uncle Owen, Takeel, Aunt Beru, Ceremony Luke, Ceremony Leia, Ewok Leia and the Treadwell Droid. It was just fun to get so many new figures.
Agreed. I remember seeing a picture of the "He-man" Luke in a toy magazine in early 1995, and thinking that it looked far better than the simplistic Vintage ANH Luke with the telescoping yellow lightsaber, etc.

IMHO, even the initial POTF2 typically did look a LOT better than their Vintage counterparts. And, I know that the 1995 "dog-faced" Leia got a lot of flack back in the day, but that figure was initially quite popular & extremely HTF...

I also spent a lot of time, money, and gas searching for these POTF2 figures from around 1995 - 1999. I don't miss those days because of the hassle involved, but at the time it was great to find these new figures @ retail after searching for them for so long, especially since (as has been said), there were many figures being made for the first time, i.e. Jabba's Palace Leia, Tarkin, Rebel Fleet Trooper, all of the Cantina band members, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Slave Leia was a great find in retail back in the day. I remember my buddy had searched and searched and couldn't find her in the stores so he paid me $20 for mine!

Reaction score
Slave Leia was a great find in retail back in the day. I remember my buddy had searched and searched and couldn't find her in the stores so he paid me $20 for mine!
Slave Leia was a great figure; not only was she never-before-made, but also was probably highly desired by fanboys because of her "outfit" :grin: I remember searching for months to find her @ retail back in late summer/early fall 1997...

Last edited:
Reaction score
POTF II Was a great line. It was an overshot in its initial bulky style but that was also in an age where GIJOE EXTREME was a new style of toymaking for Kenner/Hasbro. It quickly started to redeem itself as it took to more realistic likenesses in BUT that first set was still an awesome reaease back in the day. i still remember seeing them in the Star Wars insider (this was back when I got my current action figure news of of the "boards" on Prodigy.net... yeah... like 5 minutes a photo.)

Anyway from the static 5pt articulation figures of the 70's to the more dynamically posed SUPER Star Wars figures of '97 there was an admirable jump in style. Plus this was a lead up line to get kids back in the saddle for Episode I (by which time i had bailed). I loved it and I still have my original 9-12 boxed away for safe keeping. It was a new age and I was all in at the age of 16 when they brought these back.

Reaction score
Yes, I agree GeekSummit, and will defend POTF to anyone that will listen! Really is under-rated and, as toys, puts a lot of the current offering to shame.

Reaction score
POTF II Was a great line. It was an overshot in its initial bulky style but that was also in an age where GIJOE EXTREME was a new style of toymaking for Kenner/Hasbro. It quickly started to redeem itself as it took to more realistic likenesses in BUT that first set was still an awesome reaease back in the day. i still remember seeing them in the Star Wars insider (this was back when I got my current action figure news of of the "boards" on Prodigy.net... yeah... like 5 minutes a photo.)

Anyway from the static 5pt articulation figures of the 70's to the more dynamically posed SUPER Star Wars figures of '97 there was an admirable jump in style.
I think the first time I saw pictures of the then-forthcoming POTF2 figures was in "Tomart's Action Figure Digest" circa early 1995. I couldn't believe we were getting new SW figures, after 10 years of no SW toys at all (since the limited POTF figures started & ended in 1985). I do remember these figures were extremely HTF when they first hit in my area around August/September of 1995. It wasn't until later that Fall that I was able to find any of them; even early on, there were a lot of collector's/fans looking for these.

These days it may be hard to believe that the POTF2 "dog-faced" Leia was a highly wanted figure. I remember finally finding this @ retail - close to a year after it was originally released. In retrospect, I don't mind the figure that much - sure, the face sculpt is bad & the "action pose" is too pronounced - but, it was cool to have the plastic cape (even though it wasn't in the film). The bulky proportions of the figures were similar to other toys at the time; I remember the original "He-man" Luke also got a lot of derision by collectors...even so, I felt it was a great figure.

And, it was only a few years later (1998) when we got a much better Luke & Leia in that other extremely HTF wave...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think people are unfairly harsh on the likenesses for POTF. Even in today's lines, a lot of the human likenesses leave much to be desired (I think a lot of collectors "kid" themselves over how truly accurate many modern human figures are). Of course, aliens/troopers are always easier to 'get right'.

Take a look at the recent "Black Series" Dagobah Luke vs POTF Luke. I much prefer the 1996 version as both a toy for my kids to play with, and displayed on my shelf.

One thing I really like about POTF is that it feels like "comic book" versions of the characters. As a massive fan of the Marvel Star Wars series (and comics in general!), this suits me just fine.

Reaction score
One thing I really like about POTF is that it feels like "comic book" versions of the characters. As a massive fan of the Marvel Star Wars series (and comics in general!), this suits me just fine.
Agreed - in fact, the first POTF2 Luke & Leia are probably based on their looks from the covers of the original Marvel comics ANH adaptation & the iconic Hildebrandt Brothers ANH movie poster...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed - in fact, the first POTF2 Luke & Leia are probably based on their looks from the covers of the original Marvel comics ANH adaptation & the iconic Hildebrandt Brothers ANH movie poster...
Definitely. Strangely, that amazing poster is more "Star Wars" to me than even the films themselves sometimes.

Reaction score
Great point - I thought that poster was awesome and still do - I put together that 1000 pc puzzle back in the day!

Reaction score
As we hit the 20th anniversary of the line I'm also finding myself enjoying these old toys more and more. There's a nostalgic charm about them that I don't get from newer figures and vehicles.

Reaction score
As we hit the 20th anniversary of the line I'm also finding myself enjoying these old toys more and more. There's a nostalgic charm about them that I don't get from newer figures and vehicles.
Definitely. As I've said many times around here, it's one of the few Star Wars lines that have tried to be 'definitive' in its scope.

It's also one of the few modern Star Wars toylines that - and this is sad - actually FEELS like a toyline. I feel Hasbro pandered too much to the adult collector since 2000, and a lot of the simple 'fun' of these toys was lost because adult collectors were moaning about wrong lightsaber hilts, "not screen accurate", "where's the articulated toes" and all that nonsense...

POTF2, like the vintage line (and hopefully the new Saga Legends/Mission Series line!), knew where it was pitching. It gave great, colourful characters with tons of accessories, vehicles, creatures etc. Simply wonderful.

And as a major Marvel Star Wars comic fan, POTF2 is a great accompanying line! The initial roster of figures (including the muscular Luke) look like they stepped out of the comics (or that iconic poster with Luke holding the saber aloft and Leia draped at his feet), and that is more than fine for me.

Reaction score
I agree completely. I think it is just the nostalgia. Most people that like the original toy line grew up with it. I grew up with this toy line so I like it a lot.

JVM

Reaction score
I agree completely. I think it is just the nostalgia. Most people that like the original toy line grew up with it. I grew up with this toy line so I like it a lot.
Pretty much me. POTF2 is to me what the original vintage toys are to the old school fans. I would and will buy POTF2 versions of figures I already own. I'd like to complete a collection of them someday.

I would complain about the hilariously bad muscly chests, but pretty much all of them have been accounted for by later versions so it's easier to accept POTF2 as a product of ti's time - it's 'sin' is accounted for.

Reaction score
Interesting... it's NOT the case for me. I grew up with vintage, but still love POTF2!

And I will defend the early muscular sculpts...!

* As said above, Luke in particular evokes that iconic legendary image that IS Star Wars to me

* They are a product of their time. The 1990s were "to the extreme" in many media outlets, and that included toys. How come the sainted vintage doesn't get criticised for its overly bland, minimal paint, barely-screen-accurate sculpts? Because it is "of its time". But POTF2 isn't accorded the same grace? There's some massive hypocrisy there...

* POTF2 didn't lose sight that it was a toyline first and foremost. Yes, screen accuracy is good, but kids want an exciting toy. The more muscular sculpts for the heroes/villains fit into this ethic, as do the wonderful "just off screen" concepts like "smuggler flight packs" and the like. No more offensive than the vintage mini-rigs that were never in the films.

Reaction score
To me, POTF2 reintroduced Star Wars action figures from the long 'dark times' from 1985-1995.
But also,
1. I was able to get the "Last 15" through the POTF2 collection (most of them anyway).
2. They were the first updates to our beloved characters.
3. Most importantly, they were KENNER figures (unlike the 1999 through today figures).