Why didn't Padme go back for Shmi

Reaction score
So I started watching TPM today as I'm going to watch all 8 through the week. One question I have is why Padme didn't go back to Tatooine for Shmi? Surely she could have offered Watto to whatever he wanted??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes this is seriously messed up. Adds to my theory Palme didn’t really give a sht about creepy young anakine, makes much more sense that she would be looking more toward Obiwan, who then disappeared for the next 10 years. Once the Jedi left she basically forgot about the slave mom who’s kid literally saved her planet.

but this is the same planet that elected a “12” year old Queen so it might be best to dwell on the back room politics of the sht whole planet

Reaction score
^^^ The “elected” Queen narrative is so needlessly clunky. Why not just have her as the reluctant Monarch who comes into her own…??? (And apparently, these dumb people just keep "electing" teen girls to rule over them… Dumb and creepy LOL)

In fairness of TPM being the first act of a 3-part trilogy, it’s not the responsibility of TPM’s narrative to resolve Shmi's dilemma It’s a problem that should have been easily resolved in AOTC: A resolution that doesn’t need to be shown— just a brief exposition from Obi-Wan telling Anakin his mother is safe now that she's no longer a slave, when Anakin tells Obi-Wan of his premonition/nightmares of his mother’s impending doom. That’s all it takes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm guessing GL thought it was necessary in order for the 1977 movie to line up with the prequels, re: "uncle" owen.
somehow or another, anakin needed to have a brother left behind on tattooine.
since anakin had no brother in TPM, then that meant Shmi had to stay behind, at least until her story could be written to include a "brother" of some kind.

ie: if Shmi had been freed in TPM, then there's no reason for her to remain on tattooine -- she would follow anakin to coruscant.
and then how do we explain "Uncle" Owen, living the quiet life, as a quiet farmer on tattooine?

--> Shmi was tied-to-tattooine by the existence of anakins's brother in the 1977 movie. she couldn't leave.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I started watching TPM today as I'm going to watch all 8 through the week. One question I have is why Padme didn't go back to Tatooine for Shmi? Surely she could have offered Watto to whatever he wanted??
This is a good question!

From a story standpoint, it always bothered me the way Anakin left her in TPM and that in 10 years, with as rebellious as he was never found time to hop on a ship and go rescue her. It would have been easy Watto was a push over. Don't Jedi get time off or would he not have some time away from Obi-Wan to run off? Even if he didn't he could have always walked away from the Jedi Order for a time. I mean this was his Mom the only person there for him at all the first 10 years of his life. I really think the soon to be Darth Vader would have found a way sometime between 10 and 18 to do this before he finally went in AOTC?

Reaction score
Watto was not oppressive.

Shmi lived in a decent house and she worked for him, so it's really no different from anyone else that works for a company beyond the fact that she CAN'T leave... which for many is still rather accurate. I'm not saying Anakin SHOULD have left her there, but as a Jedi Padawan he didn't have the means to take care of her. He could have asked for someone to help like Padme, but he didn't have any real contact with her during that 10 year gap. I imagine it was like he was off at college. He imagined one day to be able to return, but he needed to become a full Jedi Knight and then he could do what he wanted. Unfortunately he was too late.

I always liked the idea that it wasn't even really the Tuskens that took Shmi. Palpatine needed Anakin to turn to the dark, so I like to think that he had a hand in Shmi being abducted and tortured in order for Anakin to fulfill his destiny.

Reaction score
My guess is the Council was wary of Anakin's attachment to his mother. They were already reluctant to train him back in TPM. After being guilt-tripped into honouring Qui-Gon's dying wish, they decide to keep a close eye on him and never give Obi-Wan assignments to Tatooine. As a Padawan, Anakin's never allowed to undertake missions on his own and I bet a Jedi doesn't get days off. They're rather monk-like. It's a way of life, a calling, not a job.

Reaction score
its a missed opportunity for parallel storytelling. in ROTS anakin had a "Secret" marriage with padme. he visited her in her apartment on the sly. nobody was supposed to know about it. not even the Jedi Order.

--> it would have been interesting to see the same thing in AOTC with Shmi. perhaps watto would not sell Shmi at ANY price, so padme could have 'stolen' Shmi away from watto, and set her up in an apartment on coruscant. anakin would visit her in secret, nobody is supposed to know about it, not even the Jedi Order. that kind of thing.

Shmi would die, of course. maybe BECAUSE of this secret relationship with a Jedi -- her association to anakin would put her in danger. losing his mother in this way would create a parallel to his fear of losing padme. maybe the Hutts learn of her whereabouts and send Jango Fett to kill her (parallel to Jango being sent to kill Padme, later in the movie)

(ie : instead of just "jedi dreams" being the only bit of parallel storytelling between the 2 scenarios -- "I Won't Lose You Like I Lost My Mother" -- he dreamt about his mother dying and she died; now he's dreaming about padme dying so he's afraid of padme dying -- the only connecting tissue here is "anakin has nightmares").

(it would be more interesting if Shmi was anakin''s "Secret Relationship" in AOTC, in the SAME way that padme was his "Secret Relationship" in ROTS). that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or maybe Anakin could have gone back to get his mum and cut Watto to pieces instead of some random sand people.

Reaction score
Isn't it the Jedi way that once a baby is identified as being Foce sensitive, and the parents allow it, they are taken from their family and raised in the Jedi order. They don't have any more contact with their family at that point. Being taken away at such a young age it's not really a problem since the child has no connection to their parents. Anakin was a unique case since he was so old when he started to train. But, perhaps they were just following their normal rules regarding such things.

Reaction score
I always thought it would have worked much better if Anakin had disobeyed orders or walked away from Jedi to save his Mom. Then, like Luke in ESB not fully trained went anyway with the Jedi saying no, no not the right thing to do.

He goes, and not only does he fail to save her, but he accidentally kills her while trying to liberate her. He really messes up and must live with that guilt. Then returns to the Jedi begging for forgiveness and understanding. The Jedi will hear none of it. They chastise him and are unforgiving. Obi-Wan included, offering him no compassion only saying I told you so.

Now he has an endless supply of hate for himself and the sanctimonious Jedi. No need for any other sources. Only Padme and Palpatine offer him comfort and support. They tell him he did the right thing by following his heart and it was the Jedi that were wrong.

You raise a good point about Padme thou.