Why did you leave?

Reaction score
After reading the checking in thread and seeing a bunch of old timers checking in, I started to wonder why you left and would you come back.

I understand Facebook has a big draw, but I also know the other side of FB and the popularity contest that it has become. With all the people willing to spend the way they do, I know listing items there will sell faster and for more money, so I'm not expecting the sales thread here to liven up any time soon.

I am on the newer side but I remember the day's of insightful details of collecting vintage that you all shared and I would like to see those days restored.

What say you?

Reaction score
For me the biggest disadvantage to RS vs FB is the ease with which you can post pics on FB. This was discussed at length when people were flocking to FB a few years ago and the boards dried up. I know I’d use RS 10x more if posting pics was easier.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I want nothing to do with FB because to me it is not even close to what a true fan forum can offer. I never look at FB for anything but I will say that my one difficulty on here is the posting of pictures. I am not too good at any type of technology but I have given up many times when I have tried to post pictures. Hopefully this can get addressed.

Reaction score
After reading the checking in thread and seeing a bunch of old timers checking in, I started to wonder why you left and would you come back.

I understand Facebook has a big draw, but I also know the other side of FB and the popularity contest that it has become. With all the people willing to spend the way they do, I know listing items there will sell faster and for more money, so I'm not expecting the sales thread here to liven up any time soon.

I am on the newer side but I remember the day's of insightful details of collecting vintage that you all shared and I would like to see those days restored.

What say you?
I am still very new as well. I started collecting seriously about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't have facebook, and I don't want facebook, and this forum is the only online forum or social media I participate in, in any way. I have found the forum very useful at times. I'm here to learn and get my questions answered from people that know a lot more than I do. When I first started, even a few years ago, it seemed like the threads and discussions were pretty advanced, and or in depth. There was a lot of talk about stuff I knew nothing about, and I was excited to participate and learn, and get help from the experts.

I have got a lot of help from a lot of people on this forum, and for that I can't thank everyone enough! That said, I have considered migrating myself to Facebook. I actually posted a thread on this forum trying to find out where the good FB groups are.

Frankly, and I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or come off as butt hurt myself, but in the past few months I have been disappointed with the forum as a whole. The posting of pics is an issue, but someone posted a tutorial on how to do it about a year ago, and since then I have been able to manage it. Is it super user friendly? No, but it's doable.

I have begun to worry that a lot of very knowledgeable people have left the forum. I have noticed that some really good threads, not just my threads, but other peoples threads with legit, good questions, go virtually un-responded to. I see some threads get posted, and I can't wait to see what the answer is.... and we never get an answer. Sometimes 0 replies. It makes me think that the people who know, arn't here, so I think, well, maybe they are on facebook.

The other issue is that a lot of threads, in my opinion, and again, not trying to hurt feelings, because when I started out I'm sure a lot of questions seemed silly to people that had been doing it a while, are fluff threads. And the jacked up part, is that the fluff threads get 10x as many replies!

I can see why people would leave. Without the old time experts, the content is starting to decline. I am very, very, very very thrilled to see so many people reply to the RS check in thread! I need..... A New Hope.... get it.

Anyways, I have been feeling this way for a few months, and I wasn't going to post or say anything, but this thread seems to be an opportunity.

I don't know much, but I try to share and help people with there questions as much as I can. The only way this forum, or any forum works is for others to do the same. There are so many of you, that know so much, that can share so much.

That's my rant.

Reaction score
For me the biggest disadvantage to RS vs FB is the ease with which you can post pics on FB. This was discussed at length when people were flocking to FB a few years ago and the boards dried up. I know I’d use RS 10x more if posting pics was easier.
Agree 100%. Takes too long time to deal with images. SWFUK have done it easier, and the core community have stayed active.

Forums are a great place for discussing topics at dept, and people usually think twice before posting.

Reaction score
I am still very new as well. I started collecting seriously about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't have facebook, and I don't want facebook, and this forum is the only online forum or social media I participate in, in any way. I have found the forum very useful at times. I'm here to learn and get my questions answered from people that know a lot more than I do. When I first started, even a few years ago, it seemed like the threads and discussions were pretty advanced, and or in depth. There was a lot of talk about stuff I knew nothing about, and I was excited to participate and learn, and get help from the experts.

I have got a lot of help from a lot of people on this forum, and for that I can't thank everyone enough! That said, I have considered migrating myself to Facebook. I actually posted a thread on this forum trying to find out where the good FB groups are.

Frankly, and I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or come off as butt hurt myself, but in the past few months I have been disappointed with the forum as a whole. The posting of pics is an issue, but someone posted a tutorial on how to do it about a year ago, and since then I have been able to manage it. Is it super user friendly? No, but it's doable.

I have begun to worry that a lot of very knowledgeable people have left the forum. I have noticed that some really good threads, not just my threads, but other peoples threads with legit, good questions, go virtually un-responded to. I see some threads get posted, and I can't wait to see what the answer is.... and we never get an answer. Sometimes 0 replies. It makes me think that the people who know, arn't here, so I think, well, maybe they are on facebook.

The other issue is that a lot of threads, in my opinion, and again, not trying to hurt feelings, because when I started out I'm sure a lot of questions seemed silly to people that had been doing it a while, are fluff threads. And the jacked up part, is that the fluff threads get 10x as many replies!

I can see why people would leave. Without the old time experts, the content is starting to decline. I am very, very, very very thrilled to see so many people reply to the RS check in thread! I need..... A New Hope.... get it.

Anyways, I have been feeling this way for a few months, and I wasn't going to post or say anything, but this thread seems to be an opportunity.

I don't know much, but I try to share and help people with there questions as much as I can. The only way this forum, or any forum works is for others to do the same. There are so many of you, that know so much, that can share so much.

That's my rant.
I don't think the threads or questions are ignored, but may get buried by a few newer posts. I have experienced this before and sooner or later, the post gets attention. I am a member of a few prop builders sites and if a new topic is posted, it's answered in minutes, but we are also speaking of 1000s of members active at all times. This is not the only site where topics sit for a while before answered. It all depends on activity and if the members that are active at that time , know the answers you are looking for.

But yes, that's why I'm hoping they start to come back.

Reaction score
I started here in 2006, but deactivated my account in 2012. I returned in 2017 and am really glad I did; I’ve been doing this my whole life and am willing to help out whenever I can! I recently started posting pictures in the TVC section, and it does take work.

Reaction score
I sold up / cashed in but still check the board reasonably regularly.

Reaction score
The 2 main things are picture related:

1. It's hard to post pics even hard now that popular image hosting sites cost money.
2. This forum is public I'm not posting my high end items in a limelight or for sale post here where they can be grabbed by scammers and used for their purposes.

Reaction score
I left because I discovered Girls!!!!!

No seriously I am only here until GI Joe comes back, but generally the forums get better quality answers to serious questions & can be archived & revived as topics become relevant again.

While FB is very temporary & can be a pain to go back & check for updates. FB is also getting on my nerves for showing me the same crAp over & over again while the important stuff somehow takes 3 days to make my feed. (Work & home have completly different feeds forcing me to check both for said updates despite being set to most recent.)

Also anyone who gives FB financial info will (soon) come to regret it as FB has some serious security issues they've ignored for years.

Best part of the forums is here I can be VideoViper talk about the nerd stuff & not have to worry about who its being reposted to. You are all as fun/crazy as me. The ex girlfriend from college does not need to know she missed out on a kick *** toy collection :)

Reaction score
The 2 main things are picture related:

1. It's hard to post pics even hard now that popular image hosting sites cost money.
2. This forum is public I'm not posting my high end items in a limelight or for sale post here where they can be grabbed by scammers and used for their purposes.
Have you considered using water marks on your photos? That will deter people from taking or using your pics. Also, there used to be a no right click option that would prevent copies

Reaction score
I could use watermarks I've done it a few times but it's a pain to do it in a way that doesn't obscure the image yet can't be photoshopped out.

Reaction score
The forum was gold back in the day. I joined up quite sometime ago. I was quick to get on board the forums, but relatively slow to migrate over the Facebook.

The amount of knowledge that used to regularly frequent the forums was incredible, and some great topics have been discussed. Not to mention incredible items made for sale too.

I don't for a second think this format is dead. Quite the opposite in fact. For all the convenience Facebook has to offer, it has big draw backs, and I am not so sure it will have the longevity as this place. I could be proven wrong, but I tend to think people will move onto the next new platform whatever that may be.

Reaction score
I think what this forum needs is couple important threads posted. Whether it be a new and exciting find or some high profile sale over in the classifieds that is exclusive and not cross posted to fb to give it a shot in the arm.

Reaction score

Bingo! Lots of garbage posts on here these days and it seems to be the same offender or two. I guess you can argue that at least someone posts, but I think the redundant mundane topics that clog up the 1st page steer most of the older veterans that are still around away.

Last edited:
Reaction score

totally agree with this. Facebook isn’t better than these classifieds because there are 1,000 Facebook pages for every little thing kenner made plus duplicate pages because someone wanted to feel more special. and for all those pages/groups....zero control or organization. You also miss postings if you don’t go on every minute not to mention you’d have to check through the 40 different power of the force pages to see if that rare item you were looking for may have been posted on one of them....or not. Your only chance is your Facebook friends looking out for you.

Reaction score
I think what this forum needs is couple important threads posted. Whether it be a new and exciting find or some high profile sale over in the classifieds that is exclusive and not cross posted to fb to give it a shot in the arm.
I check the sales thread daily (sometimes more) .

I miss the days of shopping here with great deals on multiple items, also knowing the pieces would be legit.

I would also like to see a nice thread discussion on mailers. I started one, but it didn't take .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll post something hopefully next week, perhaps the next. rebelscum exclusive. have to wait for it to arrive

Reaction score
Sadly, I trust eBay with anybody that has a sale than I do with Facebook. And my satisfaction rate with my eBay purchases is currently around 4%.

With Facebook, classifieds are in the same realm as Craigslist. Which means that your best bet to get anything is by joining a group. And that can add to more issues because it is super rare to find one that does what it promotes. If you find one of those, you have found yourself at the other end of a rainbow. Otherwise you have to deal with people who will show brief moments of friendliness, and only accept you as long as you meet their set requirements. This often means biting your tongue when they act like an overgrown Veruca Salt (the character, not the band). Especially if they claim they plan to sell something that is of interest to you. Or says that the item you have for sale is something they want. But this can easily end if you politely correct somebody, mention a fact that they do not care about, or something else that a normal person would shrug off. Because the moment that happens... It was a waste of time, you will wish that you went with a forum-based pursuit, and they will act like you are a "loser" while they act both immature and insecure in the long run.

But with forums, like this one, there should be an option where your photos cannot be leaked online without being a member first. There are sites that offer this and it should be offered to those like porkinsred6, who have a legitimate reason to be concerned. As well as other things that make buying, selling, and limelighting easier for those who do not have the money to use sites that end up being a 'pay per use' service. But there might be a fix to that and I am not seeing it.

Reaction score
I’ve been a member here for a while but rarely post these days. I do check in fairly regularly for the sales threads, but don’t have time for more than one forum in my life so generally post elsewhere. When I stopped posting on RS there were some very vocal members who came across as trolls, other forums updated their picture posting technology and I disagreed with some RS policies. I guess a lot of other people felt the same.

Facebook is great for throw away photos and chat but forums are needed as knowledge centres. I hope RS can become that once again. In the meantime lucky members can get decent priced vintage in the sales section - Facebook tends to be very overpriced

Reaction score
I used to post here quite a bit a long time ago. It was mostly when the POTF2 line was coming out through the Power of the Jedi line. I got to the point where most of my collection was sitting in boxes, and still packaged. I started thinking how much of a pain it would be to open everything for display, or just to set up the packaged stuff for display, and soon realized I was never going to do either. Also I had a lot of stuff thinking my Autistic son would love it just like I did. I was wrong. So I sold the bulk of my collection several years ago. I still like the black series, and will check in here now and again to look at the modern collecting threads, but these days I'm mostly a Gi Joe collector. I collect the 12" figures that were popular back in the 70's, and some in the 60's. I've found it to be much more satisfying than collecting Star Wars. Also, the size of Star Wars figures has shrunk. So the new figures don't look the same scale as the older ones. All adds up to me having a few 6" Black Series figures, and my original vintage collection, plus a small bin filled with POTF2 and POTJ and some SAGA figures. If the new Star Wars movie this winter is great - as I hope, I may be back to collect a few more ships, Black Series and who knows what else. May the Force Be With You......Always!

Reaction score
I've have just returned today by chance. Not sure when I last posted here. Joined early 2000's.

I think I got distracted by other things and lost the joy of posting on forums. But having looked at this site again, I remember why I used to enjoy posting here so much.

Reaction score
I still post here from time to time and will occasionally try to sell things too. I rarely even get a response here when I post items for sale. It feels like a lost cause.

I still like to drop by once or twice a week. It feels like home here. Also, topics tend to disappear after a while on FB.

Reaction score
I never left. I've been here pretty much from the beginning. :)

My collection is still the same as my last post in my Limelight thread. No urge to add to it in the past few years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I only check in here about once every 6 weeks. Why did I leave? Because 90% of everyone else went to Facebook. I was checking Facebook daily anyway, so I made it my main stop for all things Star Wars. Other positives: photos are easier there; some groups are private. Negatives: poor archive-ability and search-ability; drama.

Reaction score
I'm a forum loyalist, I've never used FB, as it seems to cause mind rot in people I know. I stay active here and at Yakface when it comes to SW, and both have been great collecting communities over the years. The downside to forums have been the local sections (at least where I live), as they aren't active anymore, and I don't really have contact with other local collectors.

Reaction score
Ive been on rebelscum 4 times in 7 years? Not even sure why I came on today...but what i realized, is Ive missed nothing. Hardly any real posts or discussions...the sales threads are a joke. This site is so old feeling...and if posting pics are as bad as it used to be then yes this place is just way to hard to use. FB has changed collecting in all forms and I personally love it. Peace out till next year :)

Reaction score
Amazing Todd Hudson I'm not on facebook and have no need to blow Zuckerburg!!!!!

I use this site to chat with other members and when I buy that's what toy shows and want posts are for!

Why be a **** by the way??? You don't like it keep it to yourself! We don't miss you either.

If you want real education you get it from OLD Fashion forums and sites like the SWCA ot Imperial Gunnery! Or choose podcasts like The Vintage Rebellion or The Chive Cast for great info as well!

Reaction score
Never left, love the forum and the heads up all the scummers give me and I try to help where i can. Too many other places out there to be glued to the phone all day looking for that one figure or item or the rite discussion. I stil have and read plenty of great discussions from other collectors here and will never make or have a FB.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
14 years after joining and I'm still here. I just don't check in every day like I used to since the activity is waaaaayyy down from most leaving for FB. I still have lots to sell but the picture hosting process here is so outdated and can't compete with FB.

James

Reaction score
Big collector "back in the day", but things change. Life, priorities etc. I still like visiting occasionally, if only to reminisce.

Reaction score
I just rarely come around Rebelscum anymore, maybe once a week. Most activity is on the Facebook collector forums, and it's the best way to get immediate news about sales, or when a figure is available for pre-order.

Reaction score
I'm a long timer just returning (again), but it wasn't a case of FB drawing me away. FB is too closely wired to my social circle outside of SW collecting, and I don't need my friends & family all in my collecting business. The last thing I need is someone in the family saying "You paid how much for that piece of cardboard/plastic?!?!?". I prefer to keep my collecting between me and other collectors. I mean back in the early days of collecting I wasn't 'plugged in' and I was collecting in a bubble anyways, so I'm used to it. Also, a dedicated site like RS is far more to my preference. Facebook seems kind of hackish to be honest. The same thing that makes it easier to use makes it cheap & hackish, IMO.

Reaction score
I never left. I don’t like Facebook, I have it but don’t trust it for selling on. I only use Facebook to keep in touch with my sisters in Ontario. I’m very grateful for all of the trades I’ve made on here with some great people.

Reaction score
I respect those that aren’t on FB, but if you not you are missing out on the majority of the amazing stuff that goes on the market. I’d rather be on RS, but I know that most of the great items never get posted here anymore. It’s a necessary evil to keep expanding my collection and to stay in touch with my collecting friends.

Last edited:
Reaction score
loved this place back in the day. pain was adding pictures and using money orders! facebook is fine. not great, its a platform for people to have diarrhea of the mouth. Some of it is good...some not. I check in here every so often. there are some good threads and I do always refer to the pinned posts at the top of the page for knowledge..

Reaction score
This is beginning to compare this to Halloween trick or treating. Everyone goes to someone else's neighborhood instead of staying in their own.

We create our own cycles and it's clear most old timers are still around . We should try to just bring it back home.