Who's into ANIME?

Reaction score
Who\'s into ANIME?

Title says it all. Post what you like or what you are looking forward to.

These are some of the ones I watch:

Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny
Dragon Ball Z
Neon Genesis Evangalion - I have the series but I haven't seen it yet. It looks good though.
High School Rumble
Ah, My Goddess!
Air Gear
UFO Ultramaiden Valkaryie
Outlaw Star
Please Teacher
Rorouni Kenshin

Reaction score
Re: Who\'s into ANIME?

i freaking love dragonball z, best action show ever
i've seen all of gundam wing and liked it, but i went many years without cable and missed all the other series
i do have the 3 long- [censored] gundam movies and they're pretty cool

my favorite stand-alone movie though is the first MD Geist

Reaction score

Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of the greatest pieces of art ever created. I'm also a big Inuyasha fan.

Other titles I really like:

SERIES -

Gatchaman
Space Battleship Yamato
Robotech (not familiar with the original)
Wolf's Rain
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Lupin III
Xenosaga
Fate Stay/Night

MOVIES -

Galaxy Express 999
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scroll
Jin-Roh
The End of Evangelion (good god...)

I'm also guilty of having an appreciation for the third season of Sailor Moon. Apocalypse narrowly averted by girls with long legs & short skirts...awesome.

It would be nice if it was more affordable. There is a ton that I want to see but haven't got around to because the only way to watch it is to buy it. Cartoon Network and G4 are a good resource sometimes (can't get Anime Network around here), but I'd rather be able to watch several episodes at a time.

Reaction score

devilof1776 said:
girls with long legs & short skirts...awesome.
That about sums up Anime!

devilof1776 said:
It would be nice if it was more affordable. There is a ton that I want to see but haven't got around to because the only way to watch it is to buy it. Cartoon Network and G4 are a good resource sometimes (can't get Anime Network around here), but I'd rather be able to watch several episodes at a time.
Have you checked eBay. They tend to have entire seasons or even entire season a VERY CHEAP prices. Neon Genesis the Perfect Collection cost about $90 at the store. I bought it for $20! They come in Japanese packaging, but they still have the english language track. I have bought several this way.

Reaction score

devilof1776 said:
Jedi534 said:
Is "Gatchaman" anime?
1972-1974. One of the first.
Cool, so I guess I like "Classic Anime"?
I got into it by watching the re-edits "Battle of the Planets" and "G-Force" in the mid 80's. I was shocked to watch some of the newer DVD's of "Gatchaman". Along with a little bit of dirty language, Mark (literally) slaps some sense into a hysterical peasent girl in one of the episodes!

Reaction score

I'm partial to The Dirty Pair and Urosukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend series. I did a major article on The Irresponsible Captain Tyler for Anime-Fantastique magazine several years ago. I enjoyed that ... well, series 1, anyway.

Reaction score

Nope, never watched it. Know it by reputation, though. Actually, I've got some weird hentei series that's a Sailor Moon parody, but I forget the title. Also, there's some dragon slayer hentei series that a friend gave me #1 of for Christmas one year. Both are buried deep in my video cabinet somewhere, right now.

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of:

Gundam (Wing, UC, Seed, G)
Witch Hunter Robin
Ergo Proxy
Blood+
Last Exile
Cowboy Bebop
Samuria Champloo
Full Metal Panic
Escaflowne
Gilgamesh

to name afew

I'm a particularly avid fan of anything that Shuko Murase
touches (ie: Gundam Wing, Witch Hunter Robin, Ergo Proxy,ect, ect)

Reaction score

I'll Watch Dragon [censored] sometimes but what about

1. Akira

2. Ghost in a Shell

3. Sailor Moon

4. Cyborg 009

Reaction score

Personally I can't stand Anime. Never have understood the fasination with it. I've tried to watch some but just couldn't do it.

Reaction score

I used to be into it before it became more mainstream. I think I was 14 or 15 the first time I saw Akira. I saw it two or three times after that and never really understood it until I read about it online. I found it in a $5 DVD bin at Wal-Mart last year, passed on it, and I've been kicking myself ever since for not picking it up.

I'm a big fan of Ninja Scroll (just the first one), Golgo 13 and the Patlabor movies.

Reaction score

I'm into Anime, Manga and I've dabble in Manwa before.

Anime:
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z (one of my favorite TV shows)
Dragon Ball GT
Gundam Wing
Inuyasha

Manga:
Naruto (the anime is terrible)
Actually, pretty much anything in Shonen Jump really

My dream is to go to Japan and check out the cities of video games and meet the manga loving girls.

Chris

Reaction score

I used to like Gundam, but Gundam 08th Squad.

I live, breathe, and die Robotech. Especially Macross Zero. I think that is the best done anime, plus the most amazing transformation scene ever. The toyline is second to none. Beautiful love story.

That is what I like so much about this genre. You might have a lot of messed up stuff, but some of them contain some of the most amazing love stories.

I really dig mecha.

Reaction score

I used to be into it andd now pretty much can't stand 99.9% of it. The only anime I still like are Gundam & Macross shows. I like Voltron but the US version.

Reaction score

I'm into anime (Japanese cartoons) and manga (Japanese comic books), love everything Masamune Shirow like Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed etc., but also like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Kiddy Grade (don't be fooled by the title), Blue Gender etc. I collect anime figures and statues too.

There is a thread about Anime toys and collectibles on the forum at the "International Toys & Collectibles" section.

Reaction score

Sergiu said:
Kiddy Grade (don't be fooled by the title),
LOL!

I've never liked when I buy an anime DVD at the store with cover art that can make people think, "what is this guy into?"

Reaction score

deathstar1000 said:
Sergiu said:
LOL!

I've never liked when I buy an anime DVD at the store with cover art that can make people think, "what is this guy into?"
You could always say it's for your kids

Reaction score

Sergiu said:
deathstar1000 said:
Sergiu said:
LOL!

Not when it's anime girls in small outfits and such that don't leave to much to the imagination sometimes.

Reaction score

I can't even count how many times I've wanted to invest all the trouble required to watch a series, just because of how well drawn the girls were. And not even for any reason that could qualify as dirty. For the esthetic achievement alone, I could watch it all day, every day, for a long, long time.

Reaction score

Well, I just saw disk 2 of Season 1 of Ah! My Goddess and it was great and very funny. I highly recommend it!

Reaction score

I also forgot to mention, I really like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop too. I finished the whole Trigun series and am halfway through Cowboy Bebop.

Reaction score

deathstar1000 said:
Sergiu said:
deathstar1000 said:
Sergiu said:
LOL!

Not when it's anime girls in small outfits and such that don't leave to much to the imagination sometimes.
Two words: MAIL. ORDER.

Anyhow, Kiddy Grade is great. I'm a huge fan of anything GONZO produces, especially Full Metal Panic!

Reaction score

1) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
2) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig
3) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

Everything else is okay though I do also like Lain, Mousou Dairinin, Noir, Appleseed and a few others. I prefer the more gritty and dark psychological Anime (pretty apparent I suppose).

Reaction score

I enjoy making fun of anime

Macross is semi-enjoyable though. As well as some of the Gundam series my friend made me watch that features GM snipers and such.

Reaction score

I haven't really kept up on it for years, except for when Miyazaki has something new.

Back in the day, though, I loved the original Appleseed, Black Magic M-66 (nothing like the manga), Iczer-3 (re-released as Iczer Reborn), the Dirty Pair series (OVAs, not so much), Akira...great stuff. Ranma and Urusei Yatsura were fun-not great, no, but fun. I saw a little of Gatchaman but mostly the BOTP edit.
Want to watch Oh My Goddess sometime, love the manga.

Did anyone else ever see the Dirty Pair fan video cut to Tommy Shaw's 'Girls with Guns'? Hysterical stuff!

Reaction score

Speaking of Applesead, have you guys seen the trailer that's on XBOX Live?

Reaction score

deathstar1000 said:
Speaking of Applesead, have you guys seen the trailer that's on XBOX Live?
Seen it! Love it. Can't wait to watch it. As well as the 12" figures that are to be released by Hot Toys (Deunan and Briareos) and Takara (Deunan CG)

Reaction score

I watched the first episode of a series called Heroic Age. It's a fansub I got off a torrent. Kind of an interesting premise, I'm interested to see where it goes. I really liked Busou Renkin, and look forward to the American release. Yamatonadeshiko ShichHenge (The Wallflower) was a pretty good romantic comedy series. Saikano's good, but depressingly heartwrenching. Samurai 7 is good. I've got a few series on my hard drive that I haven't watched yet, most of them not scheduled yet for American release. One of them, is also kind of interesting Muteki Kanban Musume.

Reaction score

Oh God, The Wallflower. Normally I wouldn't be interested in something like this one, the fact that Nabeshin is directing it...tempting.I really love Excel Saga. Crazy as hell. Cowboy Bebop is the all time king for me though. Plus the music is so freakin' awesome.

Reaction score

somebody clue me in on cowboy bebop
from what i've seen, it starts out as a small group of bounty hunters travelling through space, then ends up being set in feudal japan or something - wtf is going on?

Reaction score

Mafia, Yakuza or crime syndicates or what they are called are still around in the future. So Vicious wants to take the power and Spike who once was a member of this organization but retired comes to stop Vicious. You can find out more about this here

Reaction score

Randy_S said:
...then ends up being set in feudal japan or something - wtf is going on?
You're mixing two different shows, I think. In 2004, one of the directors of Cowboy Bebop (Shinichiro Watanabe) directed another series called Samurai Champloo, which may be what you're thinking of.

Reaction score

hmm, maybe so, especially since there were so few episodes made

the main chararcter looks the same in both series, i never got to watch more than a few minutes at a time

Reaction score

Both series had 26 episodes. One of the samurai (Mugen) looks a little like Spike, but he shares the spotlight with the other one (Jin). The story actually revolves around the girl (Fuu).

If you had the chance to check out only one of them, my recommendation would be Samurai Champloo.

deathstar1000 said:
Have you checked eBay. They tend to have entire seasons or even entire season a VERY CHEAP prices. Neon Genesis the Perfect Collection cost about $90 at the store. I bought it for $20! They come in Japanese packaging, but they still have the english language track. I have bought several this way.
I found an online store called shopanimedvd.com that sells complete series for $30 a piece. The quality is acceptable, and considering the alternative is a set of 5 dvds at $30 a piece with 5 episodes on each, I think it's a great deal.

There is also sundevildvd.com. Same story, but their selection is less extensive.

Reaction score

devilof1776 said:
I found an online store called shopanimedvd.com that sells complete series for $30 a piece. The quality is acceptable, and considering the alternative is a set of 5 dvds at $30 a piece with 5 episodes on each, I think it's a great deal.
You realize those are illegal bootlegs right! Any shipments sent to your house from companies like those can and will be siezed if the Feds find out, in this day and age...order from these places with extreme caution...last thing you need is a copyright violation.