Whoosh Whoosh "Hear the Force!" Lightsaber

Reaction score
I've been slowly working on this for a couple years now and thought it was a good time for them to have their own limelight.

The Force Lightsaber is one of the few toys from my childhood collection that somehow survived all be it very damaged from many battles. :) This whole thing kind of started when I had a huge urge to add some more preproduction to my collection. I bought the hanger Cromalin and then it kind of spiraled from there. I thought this could be a very fun side focus and am glad that I've pursued it and have been able to pick up some really great pieces.

This last year, I finally found one of the transition sabers, which has been on my want list for a some time. Also, I finally got the proof sheet framed. One of my main goals this year is to finally get the Cromalin framed up as well. Anyway, on to the fun stuff.

Preproduction

Revenge Store Display Proof Sheet, ROTJ Hanger Cromalin

Promotional

Toy Fair Catalogs, '83 Entry showing ROTJ packaging, '84 Entry showing new Shelf Packaging, '85 Entry showing unproduced POTF display

ROTJ Toys Press Photo w/ boy using Force Lightsaber

Production

Childhood Green ROTJ Saber

Red & Yellow ESB Sabers

ESB w/ ROTJ Transition Sticker

Red & Green ROTJ Sabers

Green ROTJ in Hanger Packaging

ROTJ Store Display

Last edited:

HWR

Reaction score
Great limeligt and great focus, Shawn. You really have some interesting and rare items there.

Reaction score
I love the title to this thread Shawn! :)

I really like that you included the Toy Fair catalogs. It's a neat look into the planning of the toys and not too often do you see photos of the insides of those catalogs.

Excellent limelight and thanks for sharing! It was a real treat to see this collection and store display in person! One of my favorites!

What else are you after for this run in the future?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool stuff Shawn, one of those would make me the ultimate jedi ninja back in the day! 8)

Reaction score
Superb mate. Done a good job filling that display. Can't find those in the UK that often.

great stuff

Reaction score
Great run there Shawn. Especially love those cromalins. Thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
That's a seriously cool run Shawn. Great item to focus on too. Well done mate.

Reaction score
Now that is quite the run Shawn, I didn't realise how "complete" it was, love the pre production material of course but I really like the ad too, I wonder if that kid kept his childhood Lightsaber too! Ha :)

Reaction score
Great stuff Shawn. I really like the promo pic in the toy store. While I have seen the hanger Cromalin before, I never put two and two together that the saber actually got released with that hanger packaging. I only thought they came in the floor bin. But the hangers totally makes sense, since I am sure most stores needed a way to put the product in their normal aisle layout and it was needed for the product info, barcode etc. Did the ESB sabers have hangers too?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I know a run like this isn't quite everyone's thing. :)

What else are you after for this run in the future?
Thanks Chris. I've picked up pretty much one of each variation that I was wanting. I'll mainly be focusing on filling up the display bin which I have 5 more to go on that. I'll will be keeping an eye out though for a red version in the hanger packaging and a yellow transition saber, but they seem to be fairly tough, so it'll be something to keep me going. Also, of course, any chance at further preproduction would be great.

Great stuff Shawn. I really like the promo pic in the toy store. While I have seen the hanger Cromalin before, I never put two and two together that the saber actually got released with that hanger packaging. I only thought they came in the floor bin. But the hangers totally makes sense, since I am sure most stores needed a way to put the product in their normal aisle layout and it was needed for the product info, barcode etc. Did the ESB sabers have hangers too?
Thanks Jarrod. The hanger Cromalin was one of my earliest pieces for the focus and when I first saw it for sale had me doing some research on it as I remembered getting mine from one of the display bins as a child. That packaging though appears to have been completely new for 1984 where it was featured in the '84 Toy Fair catalog as "New" and then would have been most likely discontinued in '85-'86 when the Droids saber came along which had it's own hang style packaging. So, no, at the time it didn't exist for ESB sabers. I have seen in sample pages of The Saga Museum book though that a yellow transition saber is shown in the hanger packaging. I'm looking forward to reading what info Todd has on that. My guess would be that maybe some overstock was repackaged in the hanger packaging or something along those lines, but they'd also have the ROTJ sticker covering up the ESB logo.