Who here misses the EU?

Reaction score
Anyone else miss the EU? A lot of it was crappy (and probably ultimately a good decision by Disney in order to clean up the continuity), but there is some stuff I really miss. In particular, KOTOR (the comic series / books), the Zahn stuff, and the Dark Empire comics series. Dammmmmmmmmmit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Utinniii

Reaction score
I also enjoyed the EU. In fact, it was more real to me than the PT.

I don't really miss it since I can pick up a novel or comic any time I want. While I think it is sad we will never have new stories for some of the characters, I'm OK with that as well. There were enough stories, and I personally feel that they were cramming stories in wherever there was space left.

It was time for a reboot.

There was some awful stuff, but there was good stuff as well and imagination could fix a lot of the dreck.

I also don't really think it is dead. I'm sure there is still fan-fic being written and there is nothing stopping me from creating my own stories in that universe. I personally don't care if it is "cannon" or not. There was so much material that clashed with each other that I just accept they are stories, possibly from different multiverses.

There is also so much of it that it would probably take years to go through it all again.

Reaction score
While I enjoyed reading about it, I never picked up any of the post RotJ books, mainly coming on to the EU scene after TPM. I read all of the Obi-Wan books, but never got too far past TPM as far as that went. It was just too much material for me to keep up with, so I began sticking to just the movies and cartoons. I won't exactly miss it. The old EU was a mess at times and the constant "Sith were destroyed - Oh just kidding!" theme they had going past RotJ bugged the crap out of me. Especially things like the Dark Empire stuff, Darth Krayt, Caedus, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I loved and especially miss all of the ancient EU stuff, some of the in-between-OTmovies stuff but non of the afterROTJ stuff, except Dark Empire and Zahn.
To me the NJO felt to Star Trekish to me, compareing the Vong with the Borg

Reaction score
I liked Thrawn pretty well but for the most part I wasn't overly a fan. The Tales Of books really soured me and I got tired of super weapons. Black Fleet Crisis was probably the last ones I read. I've enjoyed most of the new canon books and comics, although Aftermath is pretty sucky. I feel like the efforts to keep EU from conflicting has led to better stories overall and it doesn't hurt that it gives them the opportunity to learn from past mistakes. They've also done a good job of having themes carry out throughout all the new EU.

Reaction score
That's one of the main reasons I like Thrawn, he always used his intellect to capture them. Not rely solely on some gimmicky weapon that could be rendered useless by a Tribble.

Reaction score
Agreed. He came across as a very legitimate threat to destroy the new republic and had his own style of command that really separates him from the rest of the "imperial head that the good guys didn't know about" that were the usual villains. Contrast that with everyone in the cantina being a rebel or imperial spy.

Reaction score
Well, it does make you think every time you sit down in a Starbucks though. :grin:
dammit, now I want to go to Starbucks with a friend and go up to somebody and say "He doesn't like you. I don't like you either".

Reaction score
Yeah I miss it and wish they were still continuing it as a separate canon. I enjoy the new canon as well, I just think there's room for both. Even just one novel a year would be great. I really wish we'd just gotten The Sword of the Jedi trilogy to wrap up the loose ends and give us some closure to the EU. I can't believe they just ended it with the Lost Tribe of the Sith still at large in the galaxy.

Reaction score
Yeah I miss it and wish they were still continuing it as a separate canon. I enjoy the new canon as well, I just think there's room for both. Even just one novel a year would be great. I really wish we'd just gotten The Sword of the Jedi trilogy to wrap up the loose ends and give us some closure to the EU. I can't believe they just ended it with the Lost Tribe of the Sith still at large in the galaxy.
Didn't realize there was still stories to be finished. Not an old EU fan but if there's a book trilogy that needs to be finished then they should go ahead and put it out.

Utinniii

Reaction score
It was more of a set up for future stories than an unfinished arc.
I did like the relationship with the female Sith and the Jedi (both names escape me at the moment). I would like to have that story continue as well.

On the whole though, things were tidied up. I'm actually happy to know that the stories continue and they don't all live "happily ever after".

Reaction score
well, I'm still into it, so I guess I'm not missing it? TOR era is still getting games and figures, ...so is that truly gone? It still doesn't feel too much different than before, other than some specific tales, etc. just stopping. I've been a SW fan since the first day, and any superseding on events, history and characters really isn't anything new, IMO. The new "EU" is quite healthy, and now thankfully official so even if Disney didn't announce their "past EU" erasure, it'd be pretty self-explanatory anyways. Also, with the way the new films, books, Rebels, etc. are extracting and touching on so much of the past EU, I find it getting a second life in many cases. Some tales may never get touched, I saw it as Disney simply freeing themselves creatively from any fictional constraints moving forward, and- as it was always known as long as I've been a fan, the films always ruled the lore. I still read tons of EU material poolside all summer, the essential books, encyclopedias, etc. I really like the Legends banner approach where the past history exists as conjecture, and some old EU can continue to persist, at least until they re-write some of the older lore in any future films, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I liked Thrawn pretty well but for the most part I wasn't overly a fan. The Tales Of books really soured me and I got tired of super weapons. Black Fleet Crisis was probably the last ones I read. I've enjoyed most of the new canon books and comics, although Aftermath is pretty sucky. I feel like the efforts to keep EU from conflicting has led to better stories overall and it doesn't hurt that it gives them the opportunity to learn from past mistakes. They've also done a good job of having themes carry out throughout all the new EU.
I didn't read a whole lot past the Thrawn trilogy but, yeah, the "Tales of" stuff really put me off the EU. IG-88 uploading himself to the Death Star, basically "becoming" the Death Star was the final straw for me.

Reaction score
I guess I have to chime in to an EU thread...

My disappointment with it being gone is (in a lot of ways) due to the fact that what has replaced it so far is not better... it's just different. My contention with how they got rid of the EU was always that they did not HAVE to get rid of it. I understand that they were going to lose it so they didn't have to write around so much stuff, but it's just a shame that so much got tossed out.

Think about how upset people would have been if they had gone and used SOME of the Harry Potter books, but wrote more of their own stuff that was similar but not the same. Or Tolkien's work... people would have lost their minds. Not comparing the Star Wars EU to these works, so calm down!

Jacen, Jaina = Kylo, Rey

Jyn Erso, Cassian Andor = Jan Ors, Kyle Katarn

It's just different, not better.

Reaction score
Agreed. It's like they're going out of their way to make it sound like they are reusing content, but changing so it's not immediately recognizable. All the while saying the old EU is gone, but then bringing in some characters and changing them to fit their story.

It almost feels a little disrespectful at times. But...

Reaction score
Think about how upset people would have been if they had gone and used SOME of the Harry Potter books, but wrote more of their own stuff that was similar but not the same. Or Tolkien's work... people would have lost their minds. Not comparing the Star Wars EU to these works, so calm down!
You mean like they did with the atrocious Hobbit movies?

Reaction score
isn't like 85% of fantasy books out there just glorified hobbit fan fiction?

Reaction score
It was a long dead franchise so it's different.
Really? Tolkien was a "long dead franchise"?

Anyway, my point wasn't to compare Star Wars to Tolkien. It was in reference to keknivek's comment:
Think about how upset people would have been if they had gone and used SOME of the Harry Potter books, but wrote more of their own stuff that was similar but not the same. Or Tolkien's work... people would have lost their minds.
Which is pretty much what they did with the Hobbit movies.

Reaction score
That's an interesting theory. I'll have to ponder it for a while.
I'm also testing a new theory on a sports board I frequent. Theory being that any point can be refuted with a wrestling gif.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Really? Tolkien was a "long dead franchise"?

Anyway, my point wasn't to compare Star Wars to Tolkien. It was in reference to keknivek's comment: Which is pretty much what they did with the Hobbit movies.

Depends what you are referring to as "dead franchise"... I mean, Tolkien died exactly 5 months after I was born (I'm 43), and the Lord of the Rings movies were about the only active life for this world beyond the fact that people still read these books (Return of the King movie was in 2003).

I absolutely agree with you on The Hobbit movies though... They couldn't have gotten the characterization of Bilbo Baggins more wrong if they had made him an Avenger. The added filler in these movies really milked the story of its charm and almost ruined the movies.

I can still watch them, but I refer to them as movies BASED ON The Hobbit.

Reaction score
The stuff in the Hobbit movies was "Tolkien's work" for the most part, so I guess I didn't consider it alternate "EU" stuff in the Hobbit.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know a lot of it was from the Silmarilion and the appendices of LOTR, but shoehorning Legolas into the movies, completely inventing Tauriel (and subsequent love triangle thing), the whole Bard/Laketown "back story" stuff as well as a bunch of other stuff was just made up for the movies. I've really got no issue with the additions that are actually from Tolkien's own works as they do help flesh out the story and account for things like Gandalf's disappearances etc. The made up stuff just drags things out and really kind of sucks IMO.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know a lot of it was from the Silmarilion and the appendices of LOTR, but shoehorning Legolas into the movies, completely inventing Tauriel (and subsequent love triangle thing), the whole Bard/Laketown "back story" stuff as well as a bunch of other stuff was just made up for the movies. I've really got no issue with the additions that are actually from Tolkien's own works as they do help flesh out the story and account for things like Gandalf's disappearances etc. The made up stuff just drags things out and really kind of sucks IMO.

I understand why they tried to capitalize on Orlando Bloom and Legolas... he was a very popular LOTR character, and Tauriel gave them a rather necessary female character much like Arwen was expanded in LOTR. The Hobbit didn't NEED a lot of expanding, but I get why they did it.

I think The Hobbit would have been great if they had just followed the book and made it a little smaller in scope. They could have easily still done 3 movies and make the first one about Bilbo and company (expanding a bit on the dwarves), the second one expand a little more about Bard and such, ending with the Battle in the third one. Legolas and Tauriel didn't take much away from the movie for me, but they certainly made them more central to the plot than I would have.
Run times for the expanded versions of those movies (have you seen the expanded versions.... if you are going all out... might as well get those extra min :) )
Hobbit 1: 3 Hrs 2 min
Hobbit 2: 3 Hrs 6 min
Hobbit 3: 2 Hrs 44 min

Reaction score
LOL, I had a hard enough time slogging through the regular version and still haven't been able to bring myself to watch The Five Armies, though I have owned the Blu Ray since it was released. I really can't see myself ever sitting down to watch "expanded versions"! They are already too "expanded" for my liking.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tolkien's books and thought the LOTR trilogy of films were pretty darned good realizations of the books. Sure, they changed a few small things and left out some stuff that could stand leaving out (looking at you Tom Bombadil). Some of those things they added into the expanded version (like the mouth of Sauron) and some of those changes just made sense from a film making point of view.

The Hobbit movies just seemed like Peter Jackson let the success of LOTR go to his head. I get why they did some of the things they did, but that doesn't make them right. To me, it just changes the story too much. Totally inventing this much new stuff for such a classic story is just self indulgent IMO. Heck, the old animated Rankin/Bass film is a more accurate representation of the book.

Reaction score
Who's still reading a Legends EU book out there? I'm currently on the Lando Trilogy and enjoying it. I still need to finish the Fate of the Jedi series, but it's fun to go back and read some of this older stuff. The familiarity is what I like... I still can't believe the new movies couldn't mix in a Twi'lek or any recognizable alien beyond Nien Nunb and Ackbar.

Reaction score
LOL don't forget fan service. I don't really miss it as IIRC EU was always disposable y'all shoulda seen this coming!! However part of me not missing it is because I have so much of it and delve into it regularly... there's still plenty unaffected for those who are disturbed by the change and still want a heartbeat in there. I admit I'm trying to get more aware and leveled out on the new material canon, but the old EU ain't going anywhere in my fandom. I'm hoping JJ will give us some GL era aliens in the mix for IX.
Isn't all current literature treating it's characters as 3 dimensional human beings just Overcoat fanfiction?

Reaction score
I am, just finished Deathtroopers heh its so bad its good.

some old EU books are so good its a shame to let them go to canon waste.
I got Death Troopers and Red Harvest on Audio Book (mainly because I had some long commute hours for awhile) and I gotta say... if you aren't a big reader audio books are the way to go. Both of these were so fun with the special effects and music that they use to tell the story.

If you've never listened to a Star Wars audio book, you should (that's for everyone, not just Rez)

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of all of the 1970's - 1980's Star Wars EU novels, and know that the thrill these envoke for me can never be reproduced. They were written at a time when only the OT films were out (and in a couple of cases even before ESB & ROTJ were released), so when I go back & re-read them I'm reminded of a time when the SW universe was a lot simpler:

Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster
The Han Solo Trilogy by Brian Daley
The Lando Calrissian Trilogy by L. Neil Smith

I'm a lesser fan of the '90's-on novels, though was extremely impressed by Tim Zahn's HTTE Trilogy/Spector of the Past/Vision of the Future, as well as a handful of other books here & there. However, I'm generally not big into the post-ROTJ SW universe as depicted in books.

That being said, I did like TFA & TLJ.

Reaction score
With the release of TLJ I miss it even more. Not all of the old EU books were great but I can name several that are better than what Disney is doing.