White TIE Fighter w/Ejecting Wing Panels

Reaction score
Re: White TIE Fighter!

I have similar sentiments towards the White TIE.

In my initial comments posted in this thread, I was less than impressed with this release, especially when revealed at ComicCon - I was under the impression that the vehicle/starship under the blanket/cover in the Hasbro stand was going to be the Sith Infiltrator - instead it was the new White TIE, with new hatch and colourscheme. Once over my initial disappointment, the TIE grew on me, and I came to want it.

And it's even better now that it's been apart of my collection for a number of months now - one of the best releases last year, I reckon.

So glad that it changed my stance, as it really is a fantastic starship, IMO.

Yay for positive changes in opinion!!!!

Reaction score

I donno. Once the proper scaled wings came out, it's hard to go back, no matter how cool the color. Glad this has found an audience though.

Reaction score

Darth_Anton said:
I donno. Once the proper scaled wings came out, it's hard to go back, no matter how cool the color. Glad this has found an audience though.
The main problem I have with the admittedly much more accurate larger winged TIE is that it totally looks ridiculous next any of the other ships as it completely dwarfs them. (The one notable exception here would be the larger X-wing. . .)

Reaction score

I dunno, I think it looks alright with the other TIEs...
[image]
[/image]

Reaction score

MARK2D2 said:
The main problem I have with the admittedly much more accurate larger winged TIE is that it totally looks ridiculous next any of the other ships as it completely dwarfs them.
Well I'd say the problem is the overly dinky out-of-date sculpts of bigger ships as remnants from the old Kenner days.

For example, the Millennium Falcon toy, is far too small for this fighter, which is why I've been pushing for a new much larger Falcon sculpt.

But don't get me started on that.

And the Imperial Shuttle would look nicer if it were larger next to this Tie.

But as you said,the new larger winged Tie looks GREAT next to our current sculpt X-Wing Fighter (not to mention A, B and Y-Wing Fighters)

And as far as other TIE craft are concerned...

... the larger Winged Tie Fighter looks PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT

Reaction score

saddestmoon said:
Hey peeps!

I've just been admiring my White TIE, and was wondering what people's thoughts are on this amazing starship, now that 2008 has begun?

I'm still liking it's new hatch and the colourscheme still looks great, IMO.

Comments?
I was really happy to pick up a pair of these a while back. Part of it is nostalgia. Fortunately for my wallet, I am still so fond of this vintage-style release that I prefer it to the more accurate one. I plan on picking up at least two more of these before they completely leave the shelves.

I have a display of these guys parked on either side of my Imperial Shuttle and it just looks way better than with my larger panel version.

Reaction score

About the large wing TIE, I have mine suspended - is there a way to stop the wings from drooping without using glue?

Reaction score

Joe_B said:
About the large wing TIE, I have mine suspended - is there a way to stop the wings from drooping without using glue?
Try suspending the ship from the wings in stead of the body. In lieu of that, I'd try fairy dust.

Reaction score

Nice photo. I agree with you on the scale issue here especially. . .

Reaction score

DacaZ said:
saddestmoon said:
Wow!
I'd love to see some pics, if you are able to take some for us!!!

WoW!!!

That is a fantastic set-up you have there, DacaZ - Thanks so much for taking that photo!!!

You are right about the scale, in relation to the shuttle. I think I prefer the smaller radial panel TIEs to the large radial panel TIEs, in any given context.

Looks great!

Reaction score

I would have to agree I like the smaller white TIE. It just looks more in scale with everything else out there. Sans large winged TIE of course.

Reaction score

@ DacaZ ... wicked awesome photo! Nice set-up!

Okay, question: Where in the world did this vehicle go to? I've been to dozens of stores. They restock vehicles a lot it seems. I've seen just about all of the vehicles get restocked. Jedi Statfighters, V-Wing's, Vader's Tie, Hellfire Droid, AAT, about all of them get restocked. But I have not seen one Tie Figter in 2008. Did they pull this one from being restocked?

I want two of them. I used to see them a lot and was gonna get around to picking them up. I heard about the larger winged one coming later and thought that I'd wait for it. But it may not come out until next year so I'll take two of these now. But ... never see them any more.

So ... has anyone seen these in stores in 2008? Is there a reason it's the only one not being restocked? I'd love to walk into Target or Wal-Mart and scoop up two of these. *Sigh*

Reaction score

I did see a couple this weekend at a Wal-Mart I think. I thought it was odd since I hadn't seen it quite some time anywhere. I don't think they are currently being shipped out though.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
Probably February, or March. The AAT/Vader/Hailfire assortment's still got a bit longer to visit shelves for now. Maybe it'll actually be later this month!

Oh, and the TIEs in ANH aren't white
"under same lighting" isn't an argument, as you said probably the same model timed differently -- but also SHOT differently, so each TIE you see in a group on-screen not only moves with different timing, but with different movements! Like the guy who played the Oompah Loompahs in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, he was shot individually for each image of him on screen so the performances varied... a TIE model would be shot for TIE #1, then shot again on a slightly different path for TIE #2, etc. Maybe only one or two 'paths' were used, and repeated. Maybe just one! The lighting could've varied for each 'path' shot, or the duplicates could've been brightened or darkened, by choice or as a result of the way it's all assembled (I honestly don't know, but if it's like old cel animation, you'd often see parts of a character 'darken' because they were on a layer lower than the top part that's on a separate layer, even though the cels are ostensibly clear)

In any case, lighting issues is a far more reasonable explanation than there actually being a white TIE for which there's no known archival evidence.
Here is your "there's no known archival evidence" shootdown.

For anyone still arguing this white vs gray tie fighter debate turn to page 52 in SW Insider number 103 that just found its way into your mailbox.

Clearly a white tie fighter model in production still from ANH.

Reaction score

Not so clearly. With enough light and a more open exposure, a grey prop could appear white in a photo. I'm not saying that is for sure the case here, but in photography, you can't rule out color distortion under certain lighting conditions. However, if the prop makers, in general, made grey ones, they would have made them all grey.

Reaction score

Wish I would of picked up a couple of these. The large wing Tie and the big X-wing are cool, but I hope they still occasionally release the small versions as I like the way they compare to the rest of my fleets. Plus they're easier for my kid to hold onto and dogfight with.

Reaction score

This is a very interesting discussion on how we perceive color, and what we value in it, in reagards to collectables.

Not that my opinion matters anymore than anyone elses, but I think that the TIE is almost white, but not as white as it appears on the picture. On the other hand, my computer shows whites very brightly and greys much brighter than they should be, so I really can't be a judge. I've tried very hard to maximize my television using the THX optimizer on my Star Wars discs, (minus the blue glasses), and when my videophile buddy comes over he helps me tweak it the way he sees it. I say that because I know that it's easy for one TV to make something appear one way, while another makes it appear another. Before we argue about the actuality of a situation, we'd have to realize it's futility due to the fact that we're watching on set ups that are as different as apples and oranges. Someones white TIE fighter might be someone elses blue one or grey one.

Having recently optimized my HDTV once again, I'll throw out that I think Han's actual coat just might be brown. But, I'll always vote for blue coat Han since that's how it appears. I only recently changed my opinion on it's actuality when in two seconds of a sequence, when he turns and walks away from the camera, I totally caught it not in the light. The light I believe, is what makes it appear blue, but I think it may actually be brown.

Anyway, now that my little diatribe is complete. My nephew is 8 and I was at his home last weekend and he had to show me his tie fighter. He's got this one. THe one that's white and has small wings. I take such pride in my Target blue one, knowing that it's inferior to the TRU one, but loving the large wings none the less, that I forgot how much of a pain it is to haul around. Seemingly making flight or play impossible. Mine has only been used as a display piece, but cruising his through his living room for a few seconds made me feel like a kid again, so even though I still prefer mine for display purposes, I applaud Hasbro for releasing this one, and I'm kinda sad that I passed on it.

Reaction score

Can someone who has this loose please tell me if the numerous identations on the insides of the wings are screw holes or something else?

Thanks,

John

Reaction score
Hi Peeps!

Older thread I realise, however: just thought I'd share.

Recently I pulled my White TIE out of storage, and decided to remove the springs from the Wing sockets and supa-glue the radial panels to the struts - and the result is much better (IMO), as the radial panels sit nice and flush along the socket seams, thus visually there is no pylon distortion in the shape of the TIE (with no oddly sitting/angled radial panels, based on the tension the spring caused).

Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to customize their small-winged TIE (it was something I'd been wanting to do for ages - as I never liked the spring load pop-off panels feature).

Anywho, just thought I'd share! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
My kid found this thing recently & immediately took it as his own. Great size for kids & a good price compared to what it would go for today

lots of fun

Reaction score
Hi Peeps!

Older thread I realise, however: just thought I'd share.

Recently I pulled my White TIE out of storage, and decided to remove the springs from the Wing sockets and supa-glue the radial panels to the struts - and the result is much better (IMO), as the radial panels sit nice and flush along the socket seams, thus visually there is no pylon distortion in the shape of the TIE (with no oddly sitting/angled radial panels, based on the tension the spring caused).

Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to customize their small-winged TIE (it was something I'd been wanting to do for ages - as I never liked the spring load pop-off panels feature).

Anywho, just thought I'd share! :)
Good advice. I haven't done this yet, but might do so. Back in the early '90's, I made the mistake of showing a careless fellow SW fan my Vintage Tie Interceptor. After I showed them how the ship "exploded", they promptly tried to jam the wings back into the ship, thereby breaking the spring-apart feature. I then glued the wings to the cockpit of the ship - and felt it looked much better.