White TIE Fighter w/Ejecting Wing Panels

GNT

Reaction score
Darth_Anton said:
This is a poor man's thread merge. Since the RS forums can't merge threads, this is the best way to get duplicate threads incorporated into the main thread.
Exactly, one of the admin said he was going to check it out. The merge feature is all the forum needs! Anyway back to the thread....

Reaction score
Yeah that's one downside of UBB forums - Check out VBulletin or Invision Board - they can import UBBtreads into their db with minimal downtime - a group I used to co-run did that although as active as this site is, a good clean forum wouldn't be the worst thing.

Back on topic

Something I was wondering with this new TIE, is the white a bright white or more of a muted white ala Vintage? If so, is this too similar to the vintage in coloring that someone could mistake the vintage (sans yellowing that most of the Vintage TIES now seem to have) for this one?

Reaction score
i have not yet found this one. i am excited to see that they made it. my old kenner white tie fighter is a bit broken down. when i get my new one, i am going to place next to my old beat one

Reaction score
DarthAcroyear said:
Just picked up my first one yesterday and I am very glad I did. It is a very nice little ship and flying it around with my son has been a blast! It's almost like being nine or ten years old back in 1977-1978!
AWESOME!!! SUPER DAD!!!

Reaction score
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Oocleenee said:
Not to drag this out again, but they all look the exact same color to me. Any differences appears to be caused by shadows making them appear darker than they actually are. I support the very, very light grey side of things.

Reaction score

More than likely all of these white ties in the photos taken from the dvd are the same vehicle repeated on blue screen at different timings to appear to be not the same vehicle.

In either case it doesn't matter CUZ THEY ARE FRICKIN WHITE LIKE SNOW.

I can't even believe people argue about it, it is there in black and WHITE.

whatever .... I bought the vehicle this past week and it is weathered and more of a tan color than white lolz.

Reaction score
DarthAcroyear said:
Just picked up my first one yesterday and I am very glad I did. It is a very nice little ship and flying it around with my son has been a blast! It's almost like being nine or ten years old back in 1977-1978!

Did you make nosies when you were flying it around?

Have you (or anyone) noticed if the coloring of the wings, canopy, and the cockpit is consistent? I'm hoping Hasbro didn't do what they did with their latest Darth Vader's TIE and have the canopy and wings a different shade then the ship itself.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THIS TALK ABOUT WHITE OR GREY TIE FIGHTERS!!!!!
This is almost as bad as the blue or brown Han coat. (It's blue)
All I know is Darth Vader is black. And I don't mean his costume. No way is Luke's dad that white 14yr old snot nosed punk. Luke's dad is black!!!! And he always will be!

Reaction score
POOPIE_LICKLES said:
I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THIS TALK ABOUT WHITE OR GREY TIE FIGHTERS!!!!!
This is almost as bad as the blue or brown Han coat. (It's blue)
All I know is Darth Vader is black. And I don't mean his costume. No way is Luke's dad that white 14yr old snot nosed punk. Luke's dad is black!!!! And he always will be!
What the hell are you talking about?

Reaction score
CommanderDiFabio said:
Darth Vader is farthest from being an African American.
You're right ... because there is neither Africans nor Americans in the Star Wars universe.

Reaction score
Neal said:
CommanderDiFabio said:
Darth Vader is farthest from being an African American.
You're right ... because there is neither Africans nor Americans in the Star Wars universe.
I've always thought this when I've read posts like this! HA!

Reaction score
True.
You do know that "Star Wars" is a movie right. If it's a movie then it has actors. If the actors have darker skin than we usually refer to them as African American. I hate to ruin it for you but Star Wars is fictional.

Reaction score
I know when my mommy told me I was devestaded.
Well theres always the Easter Bunny.

Reaction score
Man, I love Tie Fighters, and I do dig the white deco. But after giving us the large wing ones, I can't go back to the little wings.
Love the retools on the cockpit though.
I have a feeling I will get one of these, some day when I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and there isn't anything else to buy that day... I'll probably cave in.

I really want that new cockpit paired up with the larger wings, but with so many Tie releases recently (I'm counting this one and the two large wing versions) I have a feeling that when this is gone it will be a while before Hasbro does the basic Tie again. Good news is that Hasbro knows that collectors want an interceptor, I think that'll be next.

GNT

Reaction score
CommanderDiFabio said:
I hate to ruin it for you but Star Wars is fictional.
In the famous words of Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I thought Vader existed :p

Reaction score
LOOK! Luke's dad is black and that's all there is to it. No debate! Everyone knows this. Don't believe me? Check out "Vader sessions" on youtube.com

Reaction score
i saw this today at toysrus and passed on it. though, i really want to get. hopefully, they will have them in stock next week, when i get paid
. i am hoping target will get these in, i got some birthday gift cards to spend.

Reaction score
Hey people!

Today I got my TIE from AriseSirToy.com - it looks amazing!

I love the new hatch, and the colourscheme. Luckily I recently found an extra TIE-Fighter pilot (OTC), who now has an amazing vintage-deco ride to explore the galaxy in - Yay!!!

On a sad note, AirSirToy are closing down...

http://arisesirtoy.com/

Jamie and Fiona will be sorely missed - they have both provided years of great service, and I want to wish them both the very best for the future...

Reaction score

Oocleenee said:
More than likely all of these white ties in the photos taken from the dvd are the same vehicle repeated on blue screen at different timings to appear to be not the same vehicle.

In either case it doesn't matter CUZ THEY ARE FRICKIN WHITE LIKE SNOW.

I can't even believe people argue about it, it is there in black and WHITE.

whatever .... I bought the vehicle this past week and it is weathered and more of a tan color than white lolz.

To quote those classic words, "Me thinks thou doth protest too much".

I can see and understand how you believe that the Tie Fighters are WHITE in the frame-grabs you presented. As you say, "... there it is in Black and WHITE."

As further evidence of your viewpoint, I'm certain that you could also produce another frame-grab of the apparently "white" Tie Fighter from A New Hope which the Millenium Falcon chased into the Death Star before it was captured.

That one REALLY looked white.

No arguments there.

However the key word there is "looked" white. That does NOT mean that they actually were.

ALL of these Tie Fighters were in fact very light Grey. The evidence is available in SEVERAL sources (and a couple of PERSONAL observations as well:

1) The confirmations of ILM Chief Model Maker Grant McCune that the models were ALL in fact light grey

2) The photos of the actual filming models as published in countless books and magazines over the years (not to mention the STAR WARS Chronicles book) NOT ONE of which show a supposed "white" Tie Fighter.

3) My own 30 years of experience as a professional photographer of miniatures which tells me that film and photos exposed in HIGH CONTRAST always produce inaccurate representations of color.

4) And most importantly, my 30 years of experience as a devout STAR WARS fan, helping me to understand that the ACTUAL color schemes of these various vehicles often vary wildly when compared against their APPARENT color schemes when photographed under harsh lighting conditions.

Look, I know we will probably NEVER agree on this topic. And that's fine. It's okay to agree to disagree.

However, I DO have a few things that I suggest you take a look at as an EXAMPLE of what I'm talking about when it comes to harsh lighting conditions on these starships making them look white:

1) Pull your supplemental DVD of STAR WARS "extras" that came in the OT boxed set.

2) Take a look at the early trailers for A NEW HOPE. One of the trailers contains a shot of the scene mentioned above (Millennium Falcon chasing Tie Fighter into the Death Star right before capture)

3) The contrast ratio on the trailer is even higher that it is on the actual film. Note how much WHITER (washed-out) the Tie Fighter appears in the trailer when compared to the seemingly "white" Tie fighter in that same shot in the film.

Higher contrast ratios in film = Whiter Whites and Blacker Blacks.

4) Pull your DVD of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Go to the scene shortly after the conclusion of the Snow Battle. Luke Skywalker is preparing to board his X-Wing Fighter parked in the snow (along with OTHER Rebel ships).

In the establishing shot of this scene, we can see (what appears to be) a BRIGHT WHITE rebel transport preparing for lift-off in the background.

It only APPEARS white because of all the reflected light thrown on it from a completely white snow environment. NO Rebel Transport models were ever painted WHITE by ILM. None. In fact (I'm not sure), but I believe only ONE may have been built at all... and it was painted light GREY.

5) Next, check out the final scene in EMPIRE, the establishing shot of the massed Rebel Fleet:

This shot shows the Rebel Cruiser "Medical Frigate", a Rebel Transport, and various other smaller Rebel craft.

The harsh main "key" light source for this shot is off to frame left relatively BEHIND the vessels. Consequently, the ships are somewhat back-lit.

Please note that in the "hot" highlighted areas of these ships, they appear WHITER than WHITE.

ILM only built light GREY Rebel Transport and Rebel Cruiser models... just as they only built light grey Ties for A NEW HOPE. That is a FACT.

Reaction score

FYI, I saw about 4 of these across 2 different targets today in SoCal. I still haven't bought one yet; still thinking about it and not able to keep it in my budget right now
especially after getting the first basic wave of TAC yesterday.

Reaction score

I wasn't going to buy this ship but decided too since I got it for a decent price.

I guess its an OK ship but the small wings really hold this back. It doesn't really add much to my collection as I already own the first large wing TIE but I do like the nod to the vintage TIE that this one has.

But all in all a very passable release that I would not have brought if I hadn't got it on sale.

GNT

Reaction score

Once you go large wings there's no going back to small wings.

Reaction score

Although for those of us with limited display space, the small winged wonder is the way to go. Besides, $20 bucks for a "Vintage-esque" TIE is pretty good. And its not totally bone white, it does have some weathering but I do like it, alot. I never bought a TIE before but I'll tell ya if I ever see any of these go clearance, I'm snappin' up another one. I really like it. Although I wish they would have painted or stickered or something the seat inside the cockpit. As it is it looks a bit "unfinished" even with a figure inside.

Reaction score

Settle the debate by checking out the new photos of the TIE Fighter that I finally added to the Photo Archive tonight:

Reaction score

Having already acquired the blue version of this toy, I was not all that enthused about this latest incarnation. (I didn't begrudge Hasbro for releasing it, I just didn't foresee me ever in a million years deciding to add it to my own collection. . . ) Well, all that changed at Celebration 4. Seeing this old classic in all its FANTASTIC RETRO VINTAGE KENNER-ESQUE glory, I was instantly sold.

Yep, I simply have to pick this one up.

And soon. (It'll look so great chasing the Y-Wing I hope to find at Toys R Us come August.) Yes, lately, I find I am refocusing my collection a bit. It's all about Nostalgia. The new Vintage figures have been right up my alley. Anyway, I simply have to have this nifty nod to past.

I can see why some prefer to much more accurate TIE with larger panels, but for me. . . I dunno. I guess I got so used to the inaccurate version that I no have a "false memory" that makes the larger wings appear ridiculously inaccurate! Behold! The power of Kenner. . .

Reaction score

Mr Curto said:
Settle the debate by checking out the new photos of the TIE Fighter that I finally added to the Photo Archive tonight:

I use this guy as my pilot....

I use this as the Empire's prototype for the TIE Fighter, and the McTrooper as the prototype suit for the TIE Pilot.

Reaction score

Cool idea about using it as a prototype. Nice pics.

Scored this guy today after a quick run to Target on my lunch break. Very, very pleased with it. I may write up a review for it later. I especially like the new and improved hatch. The "Vintage" deco is beyond awesome. Seriously, if you are/were a child of the 1970s, I think that this ship will probably really make You smile.

Reaction score

MightyMegs said:
I use this as the Empire's prototype for the TIE Fighter, and the McTrooper as the prototype suit for the TIE Pilot.
Neat idea. I'm thinking of acquiring another McTrooper for a custom black paint job (concept TIE pilot).

Reaction score

My review of this toy is up in the reviews session if anybody is interested.

Reaction score

These are starting to show up again.

I've been torn with which TIE fighters to collects, the classic blue versions (matching the Vader TIE Advanced I already own) or the new white/grey versions of the TIE fighter, bomber and interceptor.

I like the improvements to this white TIE fighter. The hatch looks a lot better than the two-overlaying hatch of the old TIE fighter. Also, the removal of the middle gun turret on the face of the TIE fighter is also a welcome change.

Of course, knowing Hasbro, it will only be a matter of time until the release this canopy with large solar wings. Of course, paying $40 for two of these small wings TIEs is better than paying $45 for one large wing TIE fighter.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Reaction score

Sorry to post back-to-back, but I did think a good reason to buy this version of the TIE fighter.

We all complain about the proper scale of the vehicles (see above about the constant chatter about "Large-Scale Wings"). While this current version lacks the movie-accurate wings, in comparision to the Imperial Shuttle, this is the right size for a TIE figher.

I was considering buying the TRU large scale TIE fighter or possibly waiting for the next issue of the white TIE with this corrected canopy & large-scale wings, but I think it would dwarf the Imperial Shuttle. A TIE fighter should not be as tall as the Shuttle, and that is what it will look like when I get my collection together.

I'll take a photo when I pick up this TIE fighter next to my Vader Advanced TIE and the Shuttle. I think it will look better next to those two vehicles with these small wings. Of course, a white/grey Vader Advanced TIE would make it all look better, but that is another discussion...

Reaction score

Hey peeps!

I've just been admiring my White TIE, and was wondering what people's thoughts are on this amazing starship, now that 2008 has begun?

I'm still liking it's new hatch and the colourscheme still looks great, IMO.

Comments?

Reaction score

MARK2D2 said:
Having already acquired the blue version of this toy, I was not all that enthused about this latest incarnation. (I didn't begrudge Hasbro for releasing it, I just didn't foresee me ever in a million years deciding to add it to my own collection. . . ) Well, all that changed at Celebration 4. Seeing this old classic in all its FANTASTIC RETRO VINTAGE KENNER-ESQUE glory, I was instantly sold.

Yep, I simply have to pick this one up.

And soon. (It'll look so great chasing the Y-Wing I hope to find at Toys R Us come August.) Yes, lately, I find I am refocusing my collection a bit. It's all about Nostalgia. The new Vintage figures have been right up my alley. Anyway, I simply have to have this nifty nod to past.

I can see why some prefer the infinitely more accurate TIE with the much larger panels, but for me. . . I dunno. I guess I got so used to the inaccurate version that I now have a "false memory" that makes the larger wings appear ridiculously inaccurate! Behold! The power of Kenner. . .
Well, I went back and quoted myself since I found my past staring me in the face right at the top of the page when I opened this thread. My thought is this, after all these month later, I somehow like the Vintage Deco TIE FIGHTER even more. Look, as an original collector who was 8 when the toys first hit in 1978, this release was just too much fun. Brought back such fond memories. . . and to me, that's what collecting is all about. Therein lies the joy of blowing wad after wad of hard earned cash on excessive pieces of plastic. . .

In the end, this odd-ball release that I thought was "beyond lame" when i first heard about it truly knocked my socks off. The Y-wing, too, (my first Y-wing ever!!!) is yet another purchase that I am beyond thrilled with. No buyers remorse here. As cool as some of the new prequel ships are that will be coming out, I know that nothing will match the power or create even half the thrill that re-releasing the old classics seem to bring me. I know many of you may groan, but what can I say? I like what I like. And right now Star Wars is more about nostalgia to me than anything else. . .