White TIE Fighter w/Ejecting Wing Panels

Joined
Apr 20, 2001
Messages
22,652
Reaction score
0
I don't know, this has got me all nostalgic!! I may have to get one, only maybe!!
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
3,435
Reaction score
0
Darth_Broem said:
Well the nice thing about this TIE is that maybe people can actually afford this one as opposed to the exclusive Target TIE that was what $40?
Yep, I passed on the big wing tie for this reason - just wasn't enough to justify the price - £20 is more like it.
 
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
21,646
Reaction score
0
Darth_Broem said:
Well the nice thing about this TIE is that maybe people can actually afford this one as opposed to the exclusive Target TIE that was what $40?
Yep... the larger wings, and even the inclusion of a pilot, should make it $30 tops. Darn exclusive prices! One of these days a large-wing wide-release will happen, and it'll have more of the upgrades like this white TIE has, AND it'll have an OTC TIE Pilot for the entire run instead of only part of the run. That's when I'll probably get one.
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,336
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
Darth_Broem said:
Well the nice thing about this TIE is that maybe people can actually afford this one as opposed to the exclusive Target TIE that was what $40?
Plus it takes up less room either hanging or in the box
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
650
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

DARKLORD1967 said:
Oocleenee said:
Some were gray and some were white. This has been discussed and pondered since i was a kid when the film came out. Every magazine i have read about it whenever there was a tidbit about it claimed the same thing, some were gray and some were white.

it really isn't a huge mystery but a fun one to debate.

Well... those magazines can "claim" whatever they like.

All I know is there have been MANY "behind the scenes" photos of Tie Fighter models (from A New Hope) published in MANY lucasfilm licenced sources (Re: The Art Of Star Wars, Star Wars Technical Journal, Star Wars Chronicles etc.)

NOT ONE of these publications has ever published a clear "behind the scenes" or publicity photo of a so-called "white" Tie Fighter.

In addition, some of these Episode IV Tie Fighter models have been on display in exibits around the world for fans to inspect up close.

NOT ONE... I say again NOT ONE of those exhibits has EVER displayed a supposed "white" Tie Fighter model.

That's 'cause they simply do not exist.

In Episode IV, Tie Fighters were ALL grey. Lighting can be REALLY decieving sometimes.

You know, I even remember the photo of the Tie fighter on the backing card of Kenner's vintage Die Cast metal Tie.

In that photo, the Tie Fighter appears whiter than white!! It even has a red marking on the upper portion of the cockpit pod (which is NOT seen in ANY Tie in the movie).

But I'm pretty certain that even THAT model was likely painted grey, and that the photo on that vinatge Kenner card was an over-exposed image.
I'll have to disagree with that. There were white ones and they can be seen in the film episode 4.

it "looks like they are wite" because they are white mixed with grey ones.
 
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
1,726
Reaction score
1
Location
Jax FL
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Oocleenee said:
DARKLORD1967 said:
Oocleenee said:
Some were gray and some were white. This has been discussed and pondered since i was a kid when the film came out. Every magazine i have read about it whenever there was a tidbit about it claimed the same thing, some were gray and some were white.

it really isn't a huge mystery but a fun one to debate.

Well... those magazines can "claim" whatever they like.

All I know is there have been MANY "behind the scenes" photos of Tie Fighter models (from A New Hope) published in MANY lucasfilm licenced sources (Re: The Art Of Star Wars, Star Wars Technical Journal, Star Wars Chronicles etc.)

NOT ONE of these publications has ever published a clear "behind the scenes" or publicity photo of a so-called "white" Tie Fighter.

In addition, some of these Episode IV Tie Fighter models have been on display in exibits around the world for fans to inspect up close.

NOT ONE... I say again NOT ONE of those exhibits has EVER displayed a supposed "white" Tie Fighter model.

That's 'cause they simply do not exist.

In Episode IV, Tie Fighters were ALL grey. Lighting can be REALLY decieving sometimes.

You know, I even remember the photo of the Tie fighter on the backing card of Kenner's vintage Die Cast metal Tie.

In that photo, the Tie Fighter appears whiter than white!! It even has a red marking on the upper portion of the cockpit pod (which is NOT seen in ANY Tie in the movie).

But I'm pretty certain that even THAT model was likely painted grey, and that the photo on that vinatge Kenner card was an over-exposed image.
I'll have to disagree with that. There were white ones and they can be seen in the film episode 4.

it "looks like they are wite" because they are white mixed with grey ones.
The TIEs are neither grey nor white, no matter how they looked on screeen. They are blue... Stormy Sea Blue to be precise. Refer to page 22 of the Sculpting A Galaxy book by Lorne Peterson. The quote about the color used, as well al several pictures of the actual models, tell the tale.
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
12,529
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

This is an example of how Hasbro reaps money from what you 'see' in the SW films compared to what it actually is. What's next, reverse antenna Boba Fetts?
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,336
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
Deak_Starkiller said:
This is an example of how Hasbro reaps money from what you 'see' in the SW films compared to what it actually is. What's next, reverse antenna Boba Fetts?
Possibly they did do Hoth Brown and Blue coat Han Solo so it wouldnt surprise me.
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
3,435
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Deak_Starkiller said:
This is an example of how Hasbro reaps money from what you 'see' in the SW films compared to what it actually is. What's next, reverse antenna Boba Fetts?
Great - now you've given them the bloody idea!
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
650
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

DARKLORD1967 said:
Oocleenee said:
Some were gray and some were white. This has been discussed and pondered since i was a kid when the film came out. Every magazine i have read about it whenever there was a tidbit about it claimed the same thing, some were gray and some were white.

it really isn't a huge mystery but a fun one to debate.

Well... those magazines can "claim" whatever they like.

All I know is there have been MANY "behind the scenes" photos of Tie Fighter models (from A New Hope) published in MANY lucasfilm licenced sources (Re: The Art Of Star Wars, Star Wars Technical Journal, Star Wars Chronicles etc.)

NOT ONE of these publications has ever published a clear "behind the scenes" or publicity photo of a so-called "white" Tie Fighter.

In addition, some of these Episode IV Tie Fighter models have been on display in exibits around the world for fans to inspect up close.

NOT ONE... I say again NOT ONE of those exhibits has EVER displayed a supposed "white" Tie Fighter model.

That's 'cause they simply do not exist.

In Episode IV, Tie Fighters were ALL grey. Lighting can be REALLY decieving sometimes.

You know, I even remember the photo of the Tie fighter on the backing card of Kenner's vintage Die Cast metal Tie.

In that photo, the Tie Fighter appears whiter than white!! It even has a red marking on the upper portion of the cockpit pod (which is NOT seen in ANY Tie in the movie).

But I'm pretty certain that even THAT model was likely painted grey, and that the photo on that vinatge Kenner card was an over-exposed image.
Well all that "stuff" you typed is all fine and dandy but it does not remove these from the original film at all. I have not altered these at all and you can find them in chapter 45 of the unaltered versions (didn't check the new special editions). THIS is what I saw in the theaters when I was a kid and I do not really care what anyone else has to say about the issue cuz it is here ... in plain black and WHITE.

To argue it is nuts lolz. Yes there were gray ones absolutely but NOT THESE and not all throughout the Death Star fight scenes. And the slow motion controlled camera shots you can see an even darker gray than the trench flight scenes of Ties with Vader's ship.

There are THREE different shades, gray, darker gray and WHITE.





 
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

I too have seen prop photos were the ties look white. I have also seen prop photos were they look grey. I haven't seen props in person, just photos, and of course the movies. Neutral colors (white,black,grey) can be very decieving based on lighting. To my eyes they look grey on film in ANH. Also don't forget these props were painted a darker color, then drybrushed with a lighter color to bring out the details and make them look more realistic. So in fact they aren't just ONE color at all...

When it comes to splitting hairs over what color a toy should be, I say, what does it look like in the movie??? Is RA-7 silver or gold tinted on the sandcrawler. Is 4 LOM rusty red brown or green with rusty joints? A perfect example is Han's Hoth jacket. There is evidence that seems to indicate that the jacket is indeed brown. However it never looks brown onscreen to me. It looks very dark navy blue, maybe even black, but never brown, even with freeze frame and magnified on my dvd player. Keep in mind that during exterior Hoth shots his jacket is covered in snow. And for the interior Hoth base shots, there is "blue lighting" to make the set look cold and icy (notice how white objects have a bluish tint in the Hoth base). So what color should the toy be???

Usually, I prefer the toy to LOOK LIKE THE MOVIE, not some behind the scenes guide to Star Wars props. But sometimes I prefer the real prop colors to the percieved onscreen color. Like Han's Carbonite block looks copper in the lighting of the freezing chamber and Jabba's palace. But it looks very silver in white light... I think it comes down to your own personal taste. I tend to flip flop depending on the circumstances.

I won't be buying a white TAC tie fighter. After the last two "large wing" releases, I can't go back to the "less accurate" small wing style. I'll take accurate proportions over color, I am a pretty good painter anyway.


Bottom line, I think the white tie isn't meant to be more accurate, it is a nod to the vintage toy... this is the 30th anniversary collection you know.
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
650
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

THEY'RE FRICKIN WHITE LOLOLOLZZZZ.


It isn't lighting.

There were whites, grays and darker grays sometimes multiple DIFFERENT COLOR ships distinguishable UNDER THE SAME SHOT WITH THE SAME LIGHTING.

I mean the pictures I posted are conclusive. it isn't an illusion. This is probably the same single ship layered as a group too timed differently to give an illusion of a whole gaggle of them.

BUT IT IS WHITE.
 
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
21,646
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Probably February, or March. The AAT/Vader/Hailfire assortment's still got a bit longer to visit shelves for now. Maybe it'll actually be later this month!

Oh, and the TIEs in ANH aren't white
"under same lighting" isn't an argument, as you said probably the same model timed differently -- but also SHOT differently, so each TIE you see in a group on-screen not only moves with different timing, but with different movements! Like the guy who played the Oompah Loompahs in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, he was shot individually for each image of him on screen so the performances varied... a TIE model would be shot for TIE #1, then shot again on a slightly different path for TIE #2, etc. Maybe only one or two 'paths' were used, and repeated. Maybe just one! The lighting could've varied for each 'path' shot, or the duplicates could've been brightened or darkened, by choice or as a result of the way it's all assembled (I honestly don't know, but if it's like old cel animation, you'd often see parts of a character 'darken' because they were on a layer lower than the top part that's on a separate layer, even though the cels are ostensibly clear)

In any case, lighting issues is a far more reasonable explanation than there actually being a white TIE for which there's no known archival evidence.
 
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
591
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Might actually buy a TIE fighter that's not Vader's now.
 
Joined
Oct 5, 2003
Messages
21,552
Reaction score
1
Location
Sausalito, CA
Re: White TIE Fighter!

I think I am going to get one for the nostalgia effect. You know at the end of the year we'll have the cockpit with Large scaled wings all done up in white as an exclusive somewhere. Kaybee, Target, and TRU have all had exclusive Ties so maybe it will be Walmart. If they do this, they should pack in a SAGA Tie Pilot in vintage deco with the grey boots and such.
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
650
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Toonimator said:
Probably February, or March. The AAT/Vader/Hailfire assortment's still got a bit longer to visit shelves for now. Maybe it'll actually be later this month!

Oh, and the TIEs in ANH aren't white
"under same lighting" isn't an argument, as you said probably the same model timed differently -- but also SHOT differently, so each TIE you see in a group on-screen not only moves with different timing, but with different movements! Like the guy who played the Oompah Loompahs in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, he was shot individually for each image of him on screen so the performances varied... a TIE model would be shot for TIE #1, then shot again on a slightly different path for TIE #2, etc. Maybe only one or two 'paths' were used, and repeated. Maybe just one! The lighting could've varied for each 'path' shot, or the duplicates could've been brightened or darkened, by choice or as a result of the way it's all assembled (I honestly don't know, but if it's like old cel animation, you'd often see parts of a character 'darken' because they were on a layer lower than the top part that's on a separate layer, even though the cels are ostensibly clear)

In any case, lighting issues is a far more reasonable explanation than there actually being a white TIE for which there's no known archival evidence.
Pictures don't lie. It's like "in the movie". Scroll up ... they're white no matter how one tries to scientifically state that it is merely the sun reflecting off of swampgasses. lolz
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
650
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

MK17 said:
I think I am going to get one for the nostalgia effect. You know at the end of the year we'll have the cockpit with Large scaled wings all done up in white as an exclusive somewhere. Kaybee, Target, and TRU have all had exclusive Ties so maybe it will be Walmart. If they do this, they should pack in a SAGA Tie Pilot in vintage deco with the grey boots and such.
That sounds like a great idea. I hope they do a large winged one. I want the short winged too for nostalgia's sake. I may even get 2 and try to rig up an led light and sound device using radio shack electronics and stuff.
 
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
10,108
Reaction score
0
Location
North Metro Atlanta
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the white color with the larger wings this fall, or at least at some point in the not so distant future...

'78
 
Joined
Oct 3, 2003
Messages
4,297
Reaction score
0
Location
OKC
Re: White TIE Fighter!

It looks decent, I'm just not sure if I really need another tie fighter though....
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
650
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

jediriccan said:
It looks decent, I'm just not sure if I really need another tie fighter though....
It seems a few state what you have. i can see some people's points.

i just personally do not have a white tie fighter, it will be nice to have one for me. Throw in the nostalgic vibe for me since i was about 10 years old in 1977 and had one then but lost it or broke it or whatever happened to it.
 
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
12,529
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

Since1978 said:
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the white color with the larger wings this fall, or at least at some point in the not so distant future...

'78
But really, we don't need it. The white TIE with small wings as mentioned would be good for the nostalgia for the anniversary, but white large wings TIE's just doesn't reinforce that. Hasbro might as well start issuing 'flopped image' Boba Fetts, Artoos and rebel pilots with missing helmet mics.
 
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

The only way I'll get this is if I get a bug up my butt to make a custom. I like the fact that the cockpit is missing the superfluous "3rd nipple" now. Combine that cockpit with a pair of the large wings and paint the thing blue/grey and I could have a really nice ESB Tie Fighter.

Unfortunately that is one expensive custom!


As for nostalgia, I'd just assume pick up an ACTUAL vintage White Tie Fighter off of ebay. If you bid carefully you could get a loose one for about the same price!
 
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
Re: White TIE Fighter!

bikerscout said:
jake - is that avatar Tranzor Z? cool. I hope I spelled it right.
Yeah, that's his name in America. In Japan he is known as MAZINGER Z!
The father of all super robots... my other collecting love.


Back on topic (I always feel the need to do this when I go way off topic
)
We have gotten quite a few Tie Fighter releases over the years haven't we? Perhaps even more than stormtroopers!

I DO like, and I'll say it again, how they keep improving the cockpit mold. A couple more years of slight "retooling" and we'll have a "perfect" Tie!
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
1,556
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Re: White TIE Fighter!

I'm sure I'll still buy a couple of these once I see them. For me at least, one can never have too many TIEs.
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,336
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
Wow out already? I love the packaging it's so dynamic I just love it.
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,336
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
jedimasterc said:
I saw the white tie fighter this morning at one of our Targets they had 2 of them.I didn't buy it but I let a fellow collector have it.
Y2Bogus said:
I wonder if hasbro has a reason for putting a Tie on the market without having a pilot in the accompanying assortment.

They plan to re-release Saesee Tiin for his ship.
Dark_Kanos said:
I actually saw one of those way back in december before Christmas at our K-mart and it was only 12.00
should have gotten it than gah!
CopacabanaJEDI said:
long island targets got them in too, today.
 
Joined
Aug 20, 2000
Messages
7,427
Reaction score
0
Location
Coastal New Jersey
GNT said:
jedimasterc said:
I saw the white tie fighter this morning at one of our Targets they had 2 of them.I didn't buy it but I let a fellow collector have it.
Y2Bogus said:
I wonder if hasbro has a reason for putting a Tie on the market without having a pilot in the accompanying assortment.

They plan to re-release Saesee Tiin for his ship.
Dark_Kanos said:
I actually saw one of those way back in december before Christmas at our K-mart and it was only 12.00
should have gotten it than gah!
CopacabanaJEDI said:
long island targets got them in too, today.
I have never understood the point of posts like this that cobble together several quotes but add nothing new.
 
Joined
Sep 28, 2000
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
31
Location
Kerrville, TX. USA, Earth. Milky Way
I love that Hasbro decided to do the White Tie Fighter, since it is a nice nod to the Kenner era. However, releasing this with the smaller (ie crappy looking) wings is a sure 'must pass' from me...to bad, it really screams vintage to me. Maybe they will redo this one someday with the newer, correctly scaled wings.
 
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
805
Reaction score
0
I just picked mine up. The wings are stiff though, they don't pop off when you push the button. I have to pull them off.
 
Joined
Jul 3, 2000
Messages
5,656
Reaction score
0
Location
North Port Florida
I saw this yesterday but passed. It is cool that it is nostalgic and everything, but after getting the 'newer' TIE's(large wings) I just don't see myself buying another small winged TIE.
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
1,556
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Just picked up my first one yesterday and I am very glad I did. It is a very nice little ship and flying it around with my son has been a blast! It's almost like being nine or ten years old back in 1977-1978!
 
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
0
Location
San Fernando Valley
Captain_Piet said:
GNT said:
jedimasterc said:
I saw the white tie fighter this morning at one of our Targets they had 2 of them.I didn't buy it but I let a fellow collector have it.
Y2Bogus said:
I wonder if hasbro has a reason for putting a Tie on the market without having a pilot in the accompanying assortment.

They plan to re-release Saesee Tiin for his ship.
Dark_Kanos said:
I actually saw one of those way back in december before Christmas at our K-mart and it was only 12.00
should have gotten it than gah!
CopacabanaJEDI said:
long island targets got them in too, today.
I have never understood the point of posts like this that cobble together several quotes but add nothing new.
This is a poor man's thread merge. Since the RS forums can't merge threads, this is the best way to get duplicate threads incorporated into the main thread.
 
Top