QUESTION Which line was released first - Droids or Ewoks?

Reaction score
If you go by assortment numbers, the Ewoks figures have the lower series of numbers, but does anyone know which figures hit shelves first, the Droids line or the Ewoks line?

Reaction score
Both shows premiered on the same day, so I would imagine the lines would have been released simultaneously. I do remember seeing them in stores at the same time and rotting on shelves as late as 1991 at the one Kaybee in my area.

Reaction score
I believe they were released at the same time. The Ewoks and Droids animated series aired as a one-hour adventure series beginning in 1985 with an episode of each aired back-to-back on a weekly basis. The toys were released at the same time:

Reaction score
sounds reasonable that they were intended to release at the same time but the only way for sure to know if they really released at the exact same time would be if we had an example of how they were shipped...if they were all packed in the same boxes (half droids and half ewoks for instance) then that would be definitive that the actually came out at the exact same time. If they shipped in separate boxes (all droids in one and all ewoks in the other) and maybe coming from different factories then one more than likely was released ahead of the other even if only by a matter of weeks or days. Since they didnt really have street dates back then, kind of hard to say definitively except that they were obviously intended to debut side by side

Reaction score
I believe they were released at the same time. The Ewoks and Droids animated series aired as a one-hour adventure series beginning in 1985 with an episode of each aired back-to-back on a weekly basis. The toys were released at the same time:

Never seen that art before! Would look great in a frame.

Reaction score
most of the answers here are just stating the obvious that they were intended to release at the same time but doesn't seem anyone can answer whether that actually happened. The OP says there are different assortment numbers so they obviously didnt ship in the same cases and without street dates it's highly unlikely that cases of droids and ewoks both showed up on the exact same date at every store. That's what he's looking for, which one hit first. no ones questioning that the cartoons came out together and the figures were intended to come out together but in practice which ones showed up first...

We would need someone to answer who actually worked in retail and actually paid attention to star wars figures back then to know for sure or better yet someone at Kenner who was familiar with the supply chain at the time

Reaction score
Is there really a correct answer? I mean granted, distribution seemed to be way better that it is today. But it's always possible that one store might have received one before the other, while other stores may have gotten both at the same time. For example, let's say stores "A" "B" and "C" all have the same truck day. Store "A" gets a case of Ewoks figures. Store "B" gets a case of both. (Maybe they sell more, or are a higher volume store) and store "C" gets a case of Droids figures.

There are several different possibilities. It could be as simple as one warehouse got both assortments, and one only got one or the other. Or one assortment could have hit one warehouse a few days before the other assortment arrived. So a warehouse may have only shipped what they had available. While it's a very good question, it's one we may never have a definitive answer for.

Reaction score
I was there, 3,000 years ago.

I'd say they were simultaneous. If one store got Droids first, probably someone else got Ewoks first, just because of the vagaries of shipping. I remember when they came out, and can't recall one being first.

I do remember seeing them in stores at the same time and rotting on shelves as late as 1991 at the one Kaybee in my area.
And if you'd bought them all, and waited till now to sell them, you'd have beat the stock market.

Reaction score
I recall the grocery store my parents bought my Ewoks figures from, and even though I was a kid, I seem to remember them specifically stocking the Ewoks assortment, but not Droids. Perhaps they wanted to carry Ewok related products because of ROTJ, as they also had the preschool Ewoks line. Its also possible the Ewoks assortment was available first, so that's simply what they carried / restocked.