Which Celebrity Charges The Most?

GNT

Reaction score
I'll start a thread in this new section...which Star Wars celebrity charges the most $$$ for a product or picture to be signed?

List what they charge and do you think they are worth that price?

Thoughts?

Reaction score
For those that do the convention scene, I'd say the most expensive signers are Ray Park and Anthony Daniels. I know that they have charged upwards of $40 for signed items.

Are they worth it? Depends on the collector. For most, probably not. But for the completist autograph collector/SW fan, it isn't too horrible of a price.

At least if you compare it to some other autographs from celebrities.

Reaction score
The most I paid for an autograph without going through a middle man was Anthony Daniels at Dragon Con 2001. I paid $25 for his. At this point I definately do not mind paying that considering I got him to sign for me for free at The Magic of Myth. I had him sign the Magic of Myth Article in the Insider.

I also have paid $20 for Ray Park to sign my own item. This was in 2001.

Reaction score
I just got Ray Park's sig at Dragon Con 2003. I paid $20 for him to sign my own item. It was worth it to me. Nice guy and I understand he doesn't go to too many of those events. Peter Mayhew was also there, but I didn't get his sig. It's funny...the man is all hair...even without the costume he still looks like a wookie.

Reaction score
Ray Park has done pleanty of conventions this year. He will be doing conventions for years to come at the rate he is going.

Reaction score
Autograph pricing is definitely a problem. Back in the day, you could get your own item signed for free or maybe $5. Nowadays, it's $20 - $30, whether you buy an item to get signed or not. And this isn't just Star Wars, it's nearly every celebrity signing.

It's sad to say, but we're really the cause of it all. People started charging and seeing that we'd pay it, so they started charging more. I used to be able to go to a con and get autographs from just about everyone there for $100 - $200. Now it's costing me $500 or so. Very disappionting.

I had heard that a certain celebrity was invited to work a con and really didn't want to. His agent eventually called him and told him it's be a great idea since it's all pretty much free money for the celebrity. The agent likened it to being a celebrity ATM.

As for prices I've personally paid, I'd paid $35 to get Maryam D'Abo to sign her Playboy issue. As for Star Wars, I think the most I've paid is $20, though I may have paid $30 at some point.

Reaction score
I agree....and most celebs won't even let you take a picture of them without buying something first. What a rip.

Reaction score
Originally posted by choopie:
I agree....and most celebs won't even let you take a picture of them without buying something first. What a rip.
<font size="2" face="arial">I haven't run into this problem yet, though when I get my photo taken with a celebrity, I've usually already gotten something signed.

The two most recent people who I got a photo with who I didn't actually buy something from were Walter Koenig and Andrew Robinson. Both were very quick to accomodate me with a photo.

Although I have come across some people who will simply charge you for a photo op with them. I desperately loathe those types. (Cynthia Rothrock, I'm talking at you.)

Reaction score
That's good that you haven't run into such problems. My friend asked to have her pic taken with Walter Koenig at Dragon Con and he told her she'd have to buy something first. And speaking of charging for photo ops...James Marsters was charging $50 for a photo op and the line was down the walkway out the autograph door and wrapped around the walkway in the dealer room. Talking about the fans being the reason why celebs charge so much....

Reaction score
I dunno what I was thinking with my previous post. Perhaps it was post-traumatic amnesia...

The most I've ever spent for an in-person autograph is $200.00. How did THAT happen, you ask?

I recently bought what's referred to as a "Platinum Package" from the rock band KISS's website. $1,000 gets you: A limited edition t-shirt, a set of guitar picks, a ticket to the show within the first 5 rows and a backstage experience including a photo with the band.

Tickets in the first 5 rows were about $150 a piece. Factor in $50 for the t-shirt and guitar picks. That leaves $800 on the price tag and divided by 4 bandmembers, that's $200 apiece. The photos were digital downloads that we were given links to a few days after the event.

And to top it off, you're technically not guaranteed an autograph, although they did supply a "free" autographed tour program. I was able to get autographs on some of my items, which I suppose could be interpreted as bringing the per-person price down, but still...

Lemme tell ya, I won't be spending that much on another autograph anytime soon.

Reaction score
That's good that you haven't run into such problems. My friend asked to have her pic taken with Walter Koenig at Dragon Con and he told her she'd have to buy something first. And speaking of charging for photo ops...James Marsters was charging $50 for a photo op and the line was down the walkway out the autograph door and wrapped around the walkway in the dealer room. Talking about the fans being the reason why celebs charge so much....
<font size="2" face="arial">$50 a photo? OUCH. I met James a few years back and he was REALLY cool. Sounds like his noteriety may have gone to his head.

Reaction score
$1,000? Wow..for that kind of money you'd think you should be able to hang out with them. I would have preferred that than a digitally-downloaded photo and t-shirt. Although I bet the seats for the show were great.

Reaction score
or does the "backstage experience" mean you get to hang out with them?

Ook

Reaction score
<font size="2" face="arial">Lou Ferrigno charges. Met him at Comic Con last year. I'm glad I walked up to him wanting an autographed 8x10. If I'd just went over, pleasantly, to meet him and ask to take a pic only to be quoted a price, I would've been very disappointed in meeting him. I would've had to walk away.

Reaction score
or does the "backstage experience" mean you get to hang out with them?
<font size="2" face="arial">Well, if by "hang out" you mean that I got the chance to talk to them for about 2 minutes each so that everyone else had the same chance, then yes. I prefer to think of it as a meet and greet, since we got to meet each one of them and have very abbreviated conversations.

We all got our photos taken with the band, which were the ones we downloaded.

My tickets ended up being 2nd row, right at the corner of the stage. Each of the raoming members got within 5 feet of me while playing the show, so that was nice. Although some of the effect of the show was lost since I was off to the side.

Reaction score
The most I paid for an autograph was the $100 for the James Earl Jones/David Prowes signed picture. I think Seetwo.com did this. As for the cheapest, I got 5 signed pics from a friend for $50, they were Ray Park, Liam Neeson/Ewan McGregor, Carrie Fisher/Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Natalie Portman. Not bad huh? and yes they are legit.

Reaction score
Met Billy Dee Williams in 99' right after the first Star Wars Celebration. He charged $25 BUT he took his time with everyone and he took a picture with me. If I remember correctly Anthony Daniels auto also cost me $25. He was also pleasant. He was my first Star Wars autograph and I didnt have a camera with me at the time!

Reaction score
I've always had good experiences with celebs when I go to conventions and such. Everyone I've ever met has been pleasant and cordial. Some initiate conversation, while others wait for you to ask questions. Such experiences is what keeps me going back and dropping $20 per autograph!

Reaction score
The most that I ever paid was $20 for Ray Park. I won't buy autographs unless I see the item being signed with my own two eyes or a close friend gets the autograph for me. There are to many fake autographs floating around. And a COA in my opinion is worthless.

Reaction score
I paid $20 for Daniel Logan (Boba Fett) at a convention. IMO, that was too expensive. When Billy Dee Williams charges $20, and he's famous in his own right, plus has a good role in 2 SW films.

Logan had a tiny role in AOTC and he's a NOBODY.

They key thing with Logan is he's Boba Fett ... and well, that commands a premium.

Reaction score
Logan's days as a "star" are numbered. Let him get the most out of it now.

Reaction score
Logan is $20?!? That's crazy and his role was super small. He had a few lines here and there but you can't charge $20 for a sig if you're not famous. Well that's my opinion.

Reaction score
I think I can name all his lines:

"Yep"
"Sure"
"Dad, Taun We's here"
"I think we've been tricked"
"Heh heh heh"

That's it right?

Reaction score
$20 is fine in most cases. I paid $20 for Daniel Logan to sign a photo of Me and him. That annoyed me a bit. It is not Daniel, but the agent that was with him.

Bille Dee Williams usually charges $25.00

The worse was Ray Park after TPM, even now he charges a lot. OVER RATED!!

Reaction score
Maybe Billy Dee Williams was $25. I thought he was $20 for a signed 8x10" photo and $25 for the SW TALES comic book he was on the cover of.

How much does Ray Park charge? I wouldn't say he's overrated (Maul rules). The only thing with him is his lack of presence anywhere. What's he done lately? BALLISTIC? That was beyond bad. Hopefully IRON FIST will bring him back.

Reaction score
post was lost because of the 60 second rule. I will retype the whole thing later.

[ 11-30-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: MysterySith ]

Reaction score
I was getting Doug Bradley's autograph (Pinhead from Hellraiser) at memorabila last week. He was charging £5 for items that you bring to get signed. guy in front of me got 21 video covers signed - and got them for £50
Thats a good deal.

I got some SW actors - I think, Dave Prowse and Kenny Baker charged the most.

Yak

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lord Stimpy:
The most I paid for an autograph was the $100 for the James Earl Jones/David Prowes signed picture....
<font size="2" face="arial">I guess that works out as about $99 for the James Earl Jones autograph and $1 for the Dave Prowse autograph. A bit pricey for the Prowse one but worth it for the Jones one

Reaction score
Originally posted by Yak:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Lord Stimpy:
The most I paid for an autograph was the $100 for the James Earl Jones/David Prowes signed picture....
<font size="2" face="arial">I guess that works out as about $99 for the James Earl Jones autograph and $1 for the Dave Prowse autograph. A bit pricey for the Prowse one but worth it for the Jones one
</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">Prowse charges also around 40 !

Reaction score
Originally posted by Kris Van de Sande tm:
Prowse charges also around 40 !
<font size="2" face="arial">Not at conventions, I think C2 had him at the normal $20 for photo/$15 your own item.

Reaction score
at FACTS,

Own item was I believe 20
His pic 30
and large pic was 40

Reaction score
The most I ever paid was $40.00 for one autograph, but the $40.00 included convention admission and 2 drink tickets. It was for Vulcon Orlando last month and I wanted to get an autograph from John Billingsly (Dr. Phlox on Enterprise). Phlox is my favorite character.

I'd never been to a Star Trek convention before... it seems this particular company (Vulcon) is autograph-centered. You buy your admission package- gold, silver, standard - and are assigned a seat for the Q&As and the autograph line. The bigger package you buy, the better your seats, etc. Everything is very orderly. Everyone is guaranteed the autographs they want. You can buy extra autographs but these are not guarateed due to time constraints.

However, at ths convention, William Shatner was the super-special guest. He was charging $70 an autograph! And no pictures unless you paid for the professional photo session, another $40.00. Even though Mr. Shatner doesn't make too many con appearances, $70 was too expensive for my pocketbook.

The only other thing I didn't like was how little time you got to talk to the guests of honor (Mr. Billingsly was one of them). The autographs were done in an assembly-line fashion, and when I got to my turn my action figure was taken from me and passed down Mr. Billingsly's table, where he was signing everything at such a fast pace to keep up with the onslaught. I barely had time to say "hi, thanks" to him before being herded away.

That is one of my favorite things about Star Wars actors- you can talk to them. I've never had a bad experience...embarrassing yes, but not bad.

THe most I paid outright for a SW autograph was at C2, I think they were all $15 or $20 each. I suppose you can call the autogrpahs at Star Wars Weekends at Disney the most expensive because you have to pay park admission ($40-60).

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to post the going rates of SW actors at conventions.

The standard seems to be $20. Everyone is charging that now.

Case in point, Mike Quinn (Nien Nunb) was $15 as recently as a few months ago. At the EmpireCon in NJ yesterday, he was up to $20, for his photos or for your item, same price.

Jeremy Bulloch was $20 for a signed 8" x 10". The British actors who played Adm. Ozzel and Capt. Piett were also both $20.

The actress who was the model for Mara Jade was there but I didn't see what she was charging.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Guy DuBlanc:
I thought it would be interesting to post the going rates of SW actors at conventions.

The standard seems to be $20. Everyone is charging that now.

Case in point, Mike Quinn (Nien Nunb) was $15 as recently as a few months ago. At the EmpireCon in NJ yesterday, he was up to $20, for his photos or for your item, same price.

Jeremy Bulloch was $20 for a signed 8" x 10". The British actors who played Adm. Ozzel and Capt. Piett were also both $20.

The actress who was the model for Mara Jade was there but I didn't see what she was charging.
<font size="2" face="arial">Wasn't Mark Hamill doing a limited amount of signatures at $100 a pop at this show?

Reaction score
Grand Moff: You are correct. From what I read, Hamill was signing an 8"x10" (it had to be personalized) for $100. You would also get your picture taken with him. It was today (Sunday) only.

I'd love to hear how it went. Did anyone here go?