QUESTION Where to Source Correct Vinyl for Capes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone have a line on where to get the correct vinyl for remaking capes? I saw in another post the thickness and pantone color for the jawa but can't seem to source the material. The crosshatch on one side would be preferred.

Thank you!

Dax

Reaction score
It doesn't exist and hopefully it never will exist. Much of the community frowns upon reproduction items for Star Wars figures, you just have to look at the untold damage done with the fake Jawa capes already out there.

If you want a cheap fake cape there are plenty out there to kit out your Jawa. If it bothers you that it's not exactly like an authentic one, then buy an authentic one. There is absolutely no legitimate reason for wanting an exact replica.

Reaction score
It doesn't exist and hopefully it never will exist. Much of the community frowns upon reproduction items for Star Wars figures, you just have to look at the untold damage done with the fake Jawa capes already out there.

If you want a cheap fake cape there are plenty out there to kit out your Jawa. If it bothers you that it's not exactly like an authentic one, then buy an authentic one. There is absolutely no legitimate reason for wanting an exact replica.
Wasn't asking for permission but thanks. What I do with my figures is my business. If I want a visually authentic looking figure it has ZERO impact on anyone else or the value of theirs. The figure I'm trying to restore was mine since it was new in the late 70s. Vinyl cape Jawas display a lot better than the cloth robe because the cloth hides all of the cool on the figure itself.

Reaction score
Wasn't asking for permission but thanks. What I do with my figures is my business. If I want a visually authentic looking figure it has ZERO impact on anyone else or the value of theirs. The figure I'm trying to restore was mine since it was new in the late 70s. Vinyl cape Jawas display a lot better than the cloth robe because the cloth hides all of the cool on the figure itself.
Yes. Yes it can have impact on the collecting community. Let's say you do find a good replacement for a Jawa cape that fools you enough to believe/pretend it is real. Then, the following weeks, heaven forbid, you have a medical emergency. Months down the road your items are sold at auction and an unknowing collector buys your Jawa thinking it is authentic. They never bother to check if it is real, thinking it certainly must be.

Do what a lot of others do: buy a beater Obi-Wan (with a damaged cape is a plus) and cut it down to fit the Jawa. The color is not exact, but is rather close.

Reaction score

Well said mate.

OP the 'correct' vinyl is the stuff that came on the kenner figures.

Reaction score
Does cutting up/ destroying an original Obi cape really have less of an impact on the collecting community than simply buying a reproduction cape? What if this cut up cape somehow makes it's way to Australia and some unforunate collector mistakes it for a Toltoys cape? The Dollar tree inflatables Starfin mentioned are a much better source of material. Just look for palm trees, hammers or caveman clubs for a close colour match and some of them even have a shiny and a dull side. The repro capes sold on Ebay have the advantage of being cut in the correct shape and the colours should be close enough for a "what i do with my figures is my busines" kind of collector while the lack of pattern prevents them from fooling any collector that knows what he's looking for.

Reaction score
"Yes. Yes it can have impact on the collecting community. Let's say you do find a good replacement for a Jawa cape that fools you enough to believe/pretend it is real. Then, the following weeks, heaven forbid, you have a medical emergency. Months down the road your items are sold at auction and an unknowing collector buys your Jawa thinking it is authentic. They never bother to check if it is real, thinking it certainly must be."

If you don't know where to source the material you could have said that in a lot fewer words.

I will be making my own and, since I am a machinist, ill make a die to cut them perfectly and offer them to anyone and everyone who wants one. Thank you for the encouragement!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Calm down dude there's no reason for you to get upset by the responces you got. It is a well known fact in the vintage toy collecting world that most vintage SW collectors don't react positive to anything reproduction. By posting your "my business" on a anti repro oriented public forum you automaticly make it everybody else's "my business" to react. Perfectly die cut and plotted repro capes have been available to anyone and everyone who wants one for over a decade so if you want to make more out of spite go ahead. I honestly thought you were just planning to make one for yourself purely because you like making stuff :)

Reaction score
Seriously guys... let's get back to reality here. The vinyl caped Jawa has got to be the most scrutinized figure when it comes to buying a high end figure. The reproduction cards I use CLEARLY state on the back its a reproduction. The cape itself is insignificant. If your in the market for a real VCJ your going to rely on its provenance proven by documentation by a reliable source, not just humming and hahing wondering if someone made a 50 cent cape in their basement and is trying to pass it off as something it isn't.

If you dont like reproductions thats just fine. Your entitled to your opinion. So am I. I dont have enough expendable income to justify real versions of these figures but it doesn't make me any less passionate about collecting than the next guy. I'm just trying to be as resourceful as I can to please my own collecting interests.

Reaction score
me
Calm down dude there's no reason for you to get upset by the responces you got. It is a well known fact in the vintage toy collecting world that most vintage SW collectors don't react positive to anything reproduction. By posting your "my business" on a anti repro oriented public forum you automaticly make it everybody else's "my business" to react. Perfectly die cut and plotted repro capes have been available to anyone and everyone who wants one for over a decade so if you want to make more out of spite go ahead. I honestly thought you were just planning to make one for yourself purely because you like making stuff :)
Calm down?? Thats rich. I simply asked if anyone knew where to source material. I couldn't care less what other people think about reproductions. Although it seems others do and instead of being supportive(or just being quiet) they feel the need to be critical or condescending. It makes me laugh how worked up some people get about toys. 😉

Reaction score
Dude you came to a forum about vintage toys and are upset that people aren’t down for your fakes? Seriously?

“The reproduction cards I use CLEARLY state on the back its a reproduction”

“CARDS” so this “one” that you are making a die for is just ”one” that you are making for your own personal collection?

Reaction score
Seriously dude... its a "fake" trying to restore my own original figure.

And yes, ill make a die to cut them out as professionally as possible. If someone else finds themselves in the same situation they will have an option without all the grief. If you want to pretend it will somehow hurt the value of authentic figures, thats something you will have to work out on your own.

Reaction score
If you don't do your research before buying a high end collectable, shame on you. Your best advantage is always a good education on the subject. Making repro stuff for yourself or to use for a custom is fine. I ts when you deliberately try and deceive someone that it becomes an issue. Ive got a few repro capes for jawas in my displays because they are cheaper than trying to find authentic robes. All of my original figures never meet up with any repro stuff. The originals are in a glass case and everyone knows it in my family. In fact there is a lof book because ive inventoried my collection. Making stuff for yourself is a fun part of the hobby. Deal with it, because repros and fakes have always been here and likely will only multiply in time.

Reaction score
Thank you LC... i hope it doesn't need to be stated that my intentions were NEVER to deceive anyone. In fact, I plan on slipping a post-it note in the back of the clam shell protector explaining exactly what the figure is for if/when I'm no longer here does arrive.

Just because its a repro does not mean it has no value or was created with the intent to deceive someone. Look at my feedback on ebay or ask any of the members here about how I deal with transactions. I've been collecting Star Wars figures almost since day 1. I've been buying and selling for over 20 years. My integrity is NOT in question. If your budget allows you to purchase authentic early carded figures, all the power to you. If you just want to sound elitist and be disgruntled please leave me out of it...

Dax

Reaction score
In all the responses to your posts people have provided their opinions but have also gone to lengths to explain why an exact replica is a bad idea. As these perspectives do not conform to your own you replied with snide remarks and then petty antagonism regarding the mass manufacture of as many accurate replicas as others would want.

If you genuinely want something that looks OK on display then as I said in my first post, there are heaps already out there, just buy one. If you don't want to deceive anyone and understand about protecting the unsuspecting collector, then you'll realise why having the exact vinyl with the cross hatch pattern is such a terrible idea.

Your suggestion of provenance for a mass produced figure is unworkable. Provenance is only really useful in regard to items like prototypes and genuine props. This is why small details like the type of vinyl are incredibly important and why many in the hobby are very protective about it.

If you've been around the hobby for so long you'll also be clearly aware of scandals like Blue Harvest, Scott McWilliams, ToyToni, RevalveiT and Mark Poon. Whether deliberate or unintentional, harm does occur to other collectors particularly when efforts are made to be indistinguishable from originals. I get that cost can be prohibitive and I would have no issue with reproduction pieces where they are easily identifiable but still help you complete the look of your figure.

Michael_Ritter

Reaction score
Plain and simple, this dsicussion is not allowed on RS. We have a fair amount of latitude in the vintage boards regarding discussions, but asking to source proper vinyl to replicate jawa capes is not allowed. Feel free to message me if you have an issue with this but this thread is closed as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.