Where do you stand on Crystal Skull?

Reaction score
The way I'd put it, I mean I've seen WAY worse movies. I mean I've seen way worse movies even written by Lucas. It's just a very flawed film. It just feels like three near retired elderly dads wanted to relive good memories, but they forgot they're not young anymore. They have completely different outlooks on life and filmmaking now and it just shows, for one thing...in how tamed down it is. The villains are bumbling. The gutsy violence of Indy is also almost entirely gone. Yeah it's somewhat there, the rocket sled burning people alive and the ants, but everything else just seems so....cartoonish. I mean the Indy films were all pretty brutal, some more than others, but this just feels neutered. I mean the originals have faces melting, hearts ripped out, thugs getting crushed and chopped up, Indy almost never hesitating to KILL someone. I mean he does it SO much, they even make a joke about it. I just really felt Indy became....soft dad with corny dad jokes. Oh wait...HE DID BECOME that! Ugh!

Reaction score
Well I just learned something new. I was watching a fan documentary on Back to the Future and in it they talk about the films original ending...how a Delorean wasn't the time machine in the original script. Apparently, the time machine was just some machine he invented...and then in 1955...Doc Brown converts a refrigerator, lead lined to keep Marty inside safe from the nuclear radiation blast, back to 1985. But APPARENTLY this was scrapped and REPURPOSED many years later for...well you guessed it...Crystal Skull.

Reaction score
Refrigerators in the 50s were lined with lead. In Crystal Skull, they even make a point of showing that the refrigerator is lead lined, therefore the lead would presumably protect Indy from radiation. I'm not saying it's a great idea, it is very dumb. Even if he somehow miraculously survived the blast and radiation, the shock wave as depicted in the film, throwing the refrigerator hundreds of yards, probably would have killed him or, at the very least broken several bones.

The BTTF idea actually seems more plausible, as Marty wouldn't need to survive a nuclear blast, just radiation. Lead is a protective barrier against radiation. That's why you get to wear that fancy lead apron when you get X-Rays done and why the technician goes into a lead lined room when taking them.

Reaction score
Yeah it def. was the modern equal to jumping the shark. I mean l struggle to believe THAT much radiation could be kept at bay by a lead lined fridge, but whatever. It's a movie. So l agree the REAL "Oh COME ON" groan was surviving the impact. He'd have been jello! I mean dude seemingly was blown for MILES! NOW I get it's Indy. He's jumped minecarts to land perfectly right on track, used rafts as a parachute, etc. But while those are certainly EXTREMELY unlikely....it's a movie... and theoretically POSSIBLE...just like million to one. The fridge scene, for me, was the biggest most impossible cringe stunt in the franchise. Though l will admit, l do rather lke the "Welcome to the Atomic Age" of Indy silhouetted by the mushroom cloud. I really think the fridge plot was done JUST for that image.

Dax

Reaction score
In my book, there are three Indy movies. KOTCS just never happened, the same as three Star Wars prequels that never offered anything more to the story and just muddled established elements, and the three Skywalker saga movies that had some interesting characters and moments but were essentially pointless.

The past is often best left in the past.

Reaction score
There are small aspects of Crystal Skull l like...but there is much more l disliked. For a series that is in essence a tribute to old serial adventures, l always felt riding off into the sunset was the most picturesque way to end the series. You just can't get more iconic or classic. Ending with a wedding? What is this...a sitcom finale?

Reaction score
I enjoyed it. No, it's no ROTLA, but it fit and wasnt a retread.

My list of bad movie sequels
Jaws 3
Caddy shack 2

There are certainly more but you get the idea of sequels that should have stayed on the shelf. I dont believe this fits with these.
Jaws revenge wasnt bad though.