When is your collection finished or “complete”?

Reaction score
When is your collection finished or “complete”?

I’m sure it’s been asked before, possibly by me. It’s one question that is frequently on my mind. Every time I get to that point, I find something else that I “need” or a new area of vintage items to collect.My wife thinks it’s never going to be finished and she may be correct.

Reaction score
I set out to only collect stuff from the first movie and since I don't have much space I had to make some adjustments on what I wanted to collect and it all had to fit into one detolf case. I also made a rule of no storage. If I can't display it I won't collect it. First I wanted a complete set of the first 21 figures plus a Blue Snag, the collectors case and since my favorite set of figures are the cantina creatures I acquired those carded. So I haven't really purchased or had the "need" to purchase anything since I completed my collection in 2014? So i guess you set your own parameters of what is complete to you and when you are satisfied with your collection that's when it's complete. Some people never are satisfied though :)

My complete to me vintage Star Wars collection.

IMG_0148.jpg

Reaction score
I collected SW very casually over the years. I am taking it seriously as of 2020. Prior to that I'd been collecting Superior and other Marx-related dinosaurs. I decided the collection was finished when I got two hand sculpted originals from that line. This was the 50's and 60's when they were making these, pre-pro items are unheard of. So at that point I decided "I won" and stopped collecting more dinos.

Reaction score
I considered my collection "complete" when I finished my carded set 3 years ago. Haven't bought a vintage item since, but that could change someday. I'm more interested in downsizing now instead of adding new items.

Reaction score
I only collect loose. I still need some of the last 17, which I'm pretty much priced out of. Maybe one day I'll find a yard sale treasure. I still need a some vehicles like Transport, Tie Interceptor, Imperial Shuttle, potf skiff, Security Scout, Imperial Sniper . That's my focus I suppose. Long ways to go lol.

Reaction score
I only collect loose. I still need some of the last 17, which I'm pretty much priced out of. Maybe one day I'll find a yard sale treasure. I still need a some vehicles like Transport, Tie Interceptor, Imperial Shuttle, potf skiff, Security Scout, Imperial Sniper . That's my focus I suppose. Long ways to go lol.
I have been collecting for over 30 years seriously, and find that I miss having a lot of items to look forward to. Almost done with my last 17, then need a shuttle,Slave 1, a rebel transport and the potf and an A wing. Found myself buying variants as of late just because the options are growing thin.
In other words, enjoy the collecting aspect of it, because one day you will complete what you set out for. Now I decided I need to draw the line at DT figs. Once i get the 4 potf I need, and those vehicles... I suspect I will hunt down the last playset I want. Then it's over for vintage.

Reaction score
Not to sound like a movie quote, but..

As soon as I think I'm out, they pull me back in. :rolleyes:

I (think) I'm pretty much wrapped up with vintage Star Wars. A couple of odds and end pieces here and there.

Other collections
Knickerbocker Lord Of The Rings-- complete set ,all loose, awaiting display
Kenner Indiana Jones-- complete loose and carded, boxed sets, awaiting display
Reaction Jaws - complete boxed carded, awaiting display
Classic TV series Batman and reaction series, complete, carded boxed, awaiting display
G.I.Joe 1982-1985 loose figures, missing a few , awaiting display

I am finally building my office in the next few months and will be displaying these pretty soon. Then I will probably see where I am and go from there

Reaction score
Mine will probably never be complete, I enjoy the hunt for stuff way to much, sometimes more than the item itself. I have a complete loose set that I thought I finished a few years ago. I took a few years off after I moved houses. They stayed in storage bins for a while. About a year ago I got them out and realized how much I had missed them. Started going thru my set and realized how many I needed to upgrade. So that's been my focus as of lately, upgrades. That and working to get them displayed in a nice clean case.

Reaction score
Ok here is my realistic complete list...
Vintage needs

Figures/Accessories

• Tusken Raider (hollow tubes)
  • Dianoga
  • 4 Gas Masks
  • 2 White Backpacks
  • Luke Grappling Hook
  • Millennium Falcon radar dish
  • Tauntaun reins
Vehicles

• Slave I
  • Jawa Sandcrawler
  • Tie Fighter (white)
  • Tie Fighter (battle damaged)
  • Tie Interceptor
  • Darth Vader Tie Fighter
  • X-Wing (Battle Damaged)
  • B-Wing
  • A-Wing

• fully fully complete (unrealistic) Play sets
    • Creature Cantina
    • Death Star Space Station
    • Dagobah Action Playset
    • Turret and Probot
    • Imperial Attack Base
    • Ewok Village

• Boxes and instructions
    • Slave I
    • Jawa Sandcrawler
    • Tie Fighter (white)
    • Tie Fighter (battle damaged)
    • Tie Interceptor
    • Darth Vader Tie Fighter
    • X-Wing (Battle Damaged)
    • B-Wing
    • A-Wing
    • Tauntaun
    • Open belly tauntaun
    • Dewback
    • Wampa
    • Jabba The Hut
    • Speeder Bike
    • White X-Wing
    • Y-Wing
    • Rebel Armored Snowspeeder
    • Cloud Car
    • Landspeeder
    • Millennium Falcon
    • AT-AT

• instructions
    • Scout Walker
    • Radar Laser Cannon
    • Tripod Cannon
    • Vehicle Maintenance Energizer

• Kenner Mini-Catalogs
    • Kenner Mini Catalogs
      • Star Wars logo cover
      • Star Wars X-Wing cover
      • Star Wars X-wing cover (pink banner)
      • Empire Strikes Back logo cover
      • Empire Strikes Back Hoth Cover
      • Return of Jedi Emperors Royal Guard Cover
      • Return of Jedi Jabba Cover
      • Potf Planetary Map

Reaction score
I “completed” my loose collection back in 2004:

https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/loose-collection—completed.886764/

After I posted that I quickly bought the 10 remaining playsets and vehicles I didn’t have yet as well as some other items. Then I stopped buying vintage because I had “completed” the collection. I have bought just a handful of vintage items in the past 15 years, but this year I bought a few which was a thrill (collector cases with inserts I didn’t have and remote for sonic landspeeder) I’m still missing 18 coins and would love to have more carded figures, but prices have gotten out of hand for most of those things so I’m pretty much done. I don’t think I will ever consider my collection complete, but I’m very happy with it as is.

Reaction score
I have been involved in everything (been here at Scum since early 2002!) over the years - Vintage as a child. On board with the resurgence of POTF2 line all the way up to Revenge of the Sith product ... pretty much was a completist (SOLD everything in 2005). Gentle Giant had my full attention for the next several years, until I got into Props / Studio Scales / Statues. Few years ago, I rid myself of all of it - the money the Studio Scales were demanding did not justify them "sitting" in a room, in my collection. The money went to much better places (wife's med school loans; been paid off years ago!).

And were did I end up? Where it all began - Vintage.

With a strict focus on loose figures - have around 160 mint loose, the full run, plus many, MANY variants. They are all displayed in one large cabinet (need to share soon...).

I do have original theatrical posters linen backed for 77 SW classic poster and the Circus Style D, as well as some canvas art work.

Finally, to answer the question. I am damn near close to saying complete. Just a few more key variants I'd like to add. I do have fun with the occasional Mandalorian toy though......

Reaction score
I will probably consider my Micro Collection (which is the only SW consider myself a collector of) "done" when I get a hand sculpted 4-Up for an Ion Cannon figure, and some sort of hand-drawn Ion Cannon concept art. Prices are currently out of hand, I may have to wait for Disney to "rest the brand" awhile so prices cool down, or get a good deal on a trade, or what have you. Possible alternatives to the Ion Cannon include the Freeze Chamber and the Turret Defense. Possible alternatives. But this is treading close to "what's your impossible dream collection?" instead of "what's your finished collection?".

I don't see myself being done collecting loose pieces for the fun of playing with, till I go into a retirement home or enter witness protection or something. But is it really "collecting" if I intend to use them?

Reaction score
I have "finished" my collection 3 times. I get to a point where I have everything I want/can afford of a given focus and I am content with what I have. And then some time goes by sometimes weeks sometimes years and I get that itch again and switch focuses to something else. Now I dabble in a few different genres of my focus and that's enough to keep me active in the community but I don't add things too often.

That isn't really an answer so I'll just say you are finished when you don't want to do it anymore.

Reaction score
As I stand and look at my collection. I am not sure if I am ever done. I live hanging the diaramas around with my kids, talking to them about the figures, playsets and stuff like that. I look forward to the hunt for more and am always in the look out for that perfect piece, incomplete piece or any piece that can add to the diarama. I am sure my wife wants it complete. I just love doing it so much and live that all my kids have an interest and help me place my new items.

Reaction score
Yep, I was done when I finished a loose set. Then I thought a carded set would be cool. Why not a graded 85 full set? Now I’m onto boxed vehicles and coins oh my.....

Reaction score
Im focusing right now on US MOC and specifically looking for pieces not yet on the kellerman matrix. So I guess my collection becomes full when the matrix becomes full (or we can explain why certain pieces don’t exist)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
I recall a similar thread... I think I can sum it up for myself, when I say - if my collection is ever "complete", I will be "finished" as a collector. Its not much of an active hobby if you own everything you've ever wanted, and simply stare at it. I can certainly appreciate setting a goal, and hitting the mark - but I think the hobby is always evolving, especially if you're not limited to one line or era. I also really enjoy the hunt and finding figures (especially Kenner) at good prices at places other than ebay. Whether its a vintage toy / comic store, trade with another collector, garage sale, etc - its more engaging than tossing money at ebay. I could finish this year, and dump thousands on ebay, but it would be reckless and frankly unfulfilling. The hunt and always striving for that missing piece is essential to my hobby, so hopefully it never ends when passion remains.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I recall a similar thread... I think I can sum it up for myself, when I say - if my collection is ever "complete", I will be "finished" as a collector. Its not much of an active hobby if you own everything you've ever wanted, and simply stare at it.

I don't think I'll ever have it in me to pass on Marx dinos or Kenner Star Wars that I find "in the wild", no matter what's in my collection. And by "in the wild" I mean yard sales, second hand stores, and so forth as opposed to eBay or the vendor halls of cons and other places one can expect to find them.

Reaction score
I have been collecting for over 30 years seriously, and find that I miss having a lot of items to look forward to. Almost done with my last 17, then need a shuttle,Slave 1, a rebel transport and the potf and an A wing. Found myself buying variants as of late just because the options are growing thin.
In other words, enjoy the collecting aspect of it, because one day you will complete what you set out for. Now I decided I need to draw the line at DT figs. Once i get the 4 potf I need, and those vehicles... I suspect I will hunt down the last playset I want. Then it's over for vintage.

I'm with you. Been passively collecting for a long time now, though I don't have anywhere near a "complete" collection of anything. I enjoy the hunt, and can spend a looonngggg time before buys. I challenge myself to find the best fig/carded/etc. for the cheapest I can get it. Lot's of time I'll get disappointed, but when I get something new I'm super stoked about it and then move on to the next thing. I only have a modest collection and there are tons I still need to acquire, so I've got years of hunting left. My dream would be what Toy Polloi pulled off-->Yakface for about 2 bucks. Prolly never happen in the Ebay driven world now, but who knows. That's the fun part also for me.

I don't know that I'd every be "done" though. There are too many ways to collect and so many variants.

Reaction score
I'm with you. Been passively collecting for a long time now, though I don't have anywhere near a "complete" collection of anything. I enjoy the hunt, and can spend a looonngggg time before buys. I challenge myself to find the best fig/carded/etc. for the cheapest I can get it. Lot's of time I'll get disappointed, but when I get something new I'm super stoked about it and then move on to the next thing. I only have a modest collection and there are tons I still need to acquire, so I've got years of hunting left. My dream would be what Toy Polloi pulled off-->Yakface for about 2 bucks. Prolly never happen in the Ebay driven world now, but who knows. That's the fun part also for me.

I don't know that I'd every be "done" though. There are too many ways to collect and so many variants.
Hey man those type of things happen way more than people think they do... Ive picked up lots of stuff at yars sales and flipped it or traded them. I once found a few of the Dungeons and Dragons rare PVC figures of Presto and Sheila for a cool dime each and flipped them for $300...also found a vader black series saber brand new in sealed box for $5. Some Star Wars finds here and there like a huge box of 90s vehicles all complete for $20 including the falcon, Endor At-At, Slave 1, an outrider and a bunch more.

Reaction score
In 2005 I found a vintage Millenium Falcon along with a storage box full of Kenner figures in the dumpster at the apartment complex I lived in. The Falcon wasn't complete (but wasn't discolored or otherwise too bad) and the figures were essentially beaters, but....in 2005, at a point where I would assume everyone understood that vintage 1970's Star Wars items had some value???????? apparantly I was mistaken. I mean, the chances of finding a Falcon in a dumpster in say 1989 would be minimal. But by 2005? I'd consider it to be an infinitesimally small chance of seeing something so rare in the garbage, even more so that I, an avid Star Wars collector, would be the one to discover such discarded treasure. I mean, anyone could've found them, but for me????? It was keeeeeeeeerazee cool to lift up that lid and see those items. I took it as a sign that I was meant to find them and give them a home. Like a stray animal or something. And it meant that collecting was essentially a never ending fun dip into serendipitous discovery. The ride never ends, kids.

Reaction score
Circa 2015, My friend said "some guy donated all this SW stuff to our charity drive, will you just buy it all off me for $50?". It had a 12" Boba & IG in the lot. That was all I needed to see to agree to paying $50 for the pile.

Reaction score
Hey man those type of things happen way more than people think they do... Ive picked up lots of stuff at yars sales and flipped it or traded them. I once found a few of the Dungeons and Dragons rare PVC figures of Presto and Sheila for a cool dime each and flipped them for $300...also found a vader black series saber brand new in sealed box for $5. Some Star Wars finds here and there like a huge box of 90s vehicles all complete for $20 including the falcon, Endor At-At, Slave 1, an outrider and a bunch more.

That's great man. I don't usually think about flipping other toy lines to fund my SW habit, but it sounds like a good long term plan. With the COVID situation, not much doing getting out of the house right now. Yard sales in my area really only exist on Craigslist right now. LOL. Maybe next year.

I got a bunch of the 90's stuff that I'm really not into because of the 'roid rage body sculpts they had going on. I did have a good time collecting that stuff when it was new (and hyped up). I just got my POTF2 A-Wing w/pilot , and my Princess Leia Collection 2 packs back out of storage. Realized that I also had some cool Expanded Universe figs (Clone Palp, Jedi Leia, Dark Luke, etc.). Also keeping my Classic Edition 4-Pack too (the actual birth of the "Retro" line way back in 1995). The mailers and others those about I'll keep, but most of it I'd trade or sell off eventually. May that can help with my vintage collecting...

Reaction score
When is your collection finished or “complete”? I'd say when the wife files for divorce... 🤖

Reaction score
I started out collecting just the die cast carded ships and carded Ewoks. Thought I was finished but got into the First 12, then 1978 12in figures,then the remaining 3.75" 1985 and earlier. Now I am searching for all things Ewok related. Recently found the TRU and KMart exclusives Ewok figures that were not included in the pre 1985 Ewoks. Working on them and the remaining Last 17 now. Will I stop then? Who knows???

Reaction score
I've been collecting vintage Star Wars since 1995. I don't think my collection will ever be complete. I may go a few years from time to time w/o acquiring anything but I don't think I'll ever completely stop collecting. It's a lifelong hobby.

Reaction score
I think if I get a Micro Collection preproduction collection of a certain size I am done.

Stuff to actually play with doesn’t count.

My Marx dinosaurs are “done”.

Dax

Reaction score
My vintage loose collection has been complete for some years thankfully. I'd struggle now I think to justify some of the prices things sell for. My other major focus is cardbacks and specifically Australian / New Zealand cardbacks which means my collection will never be finished. I'm currently 9 cardbacks short for the Aussie set and 23 short on the NZ set.

I'm 3 figures short on my unpainted Micro-Collection set but I think I've missed the boat on the crucial rare one :(

Reaction score
My vintage loose collection has been complete for some years thankfully. I'd struggle now I think to justify some of the prices things sell for. My other major focus is cardbacks and specifically Australian / New Zealand cardbacks which means my collection will never be finished. I'm currently 9 cardbacks short for the Aussie set and 23 short on the NZ set.

I'm 3 figures short on my unpainted Micro-Collection set but I think I've missed the boat on the crucial rare one :(

What 3 do you need? Is this including unproduced?

Last edited:

Dax

Reaction score
What 3 do you need? Is this including unproduced?

Princess Leia 692-007 - from the Ion Cannon in her Hoth Outfit
Darth Vader, dueling 517-016 from the Death Star Compactor set
Bespin Guard, white 116-023 from the Bespin Torture set. Yup, probably the hardest one to find and like an idiot I left it till last! At this stage I'd even contemplate buying the full set from the Bespin Torture set if it helps shake loose that figure.

To be honest I haven't spent any effort in chasing these in the last 10 years as all my Micro stuff is currently packed away in storage so it's not exactly front of mind for me :)

Reaction score
To be honest I haven't spent any effort in chasing these in the last 10 years as all my Micro stuff is currently packed away in storage so it's not exactly front of mind for me :)
Then sell them!

I don't count the unproduced as part of "complete" set. Failing a coffee can full of them turning up at an ex-employees house, none of us will ever get both Bespin Guards (or Han from Torture Chamber) again.

Reaction score
I don't know if it will ever be 'complete' complete, but I only recently got back into things after getting some things out of storage from my parents house when I moved to a new house 3-ish years ago. When I was younger I thought I had a full run of loose Kenner figures except Han in Carbonite, which I wanted and never got as a kid. Turns out I had everything through the Jedi and some of the last 17, but not all of it, and certainly not Han.

I started picking some up here and there, and cranked it up earlier this year after I started restoring my childhood GI Joe figures and selling those, funding the Star Wars run. I'm down to 3 main figures, and then after that it will be a few choice variants and nicer versions of the ones that are complete beaters in my childhood collection.

After that, I might pick a few select vehicles (I'd love a B Wing and the mini-rig Skiff), and then continue to focus on vintage Voltron and modern Star Wars.