What's the one that got away?

Reaction score
What's the best item that you didn't quite get for the collection, not because you never found it on a shelf or a peg or even online, but because you didn't pull the trigger? Whether you put it off the one and only time you saw it in a store, waited for a sale or discount that never arrived, or couldn't spend the money at the time it was available, what's the best thing, whether vintage or modern, Kenner or Hasbro, that just missed landing in your collection?
(I posted in Legacy because this was pretty much the peak of the modern line)

JVM

Reaction score
For a long time it was the TVC Ponda Baba. I had been really excited for it and saw one at Toys R Us on the original card when it first came out, but I was low on cash and resolved to come back a week later, and the whole new wave was gone and never refreshed. Older figures were on the peg for months more. A long while later, I managed to get the TBS repack and it's still one of my favorite figures even for its clear, clear flaws.

A TLC-relevant example is the removable helmet Plo Koon, because I had initially mistaken it for a re-release of the ROTS figure, which had been reissued in the same line and was absurdly plentiful around here. I only remembered later that the version with the gauntlet was distinct, since I didn't follow as closely then. I managed to finally snag him years later online.

I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of any I saw in person but haven't seen since, but I'm sure there's something. Problem here is more often items simply not showing up at retail in the first place.

Reaction score
The one that haunted me: Kenner Twin-Pod Cloud Car. Not the most exciting of vehicles, but the circumstances it eluded me were so annoying.

We were doing a family shopping trip to a big town. At the time, Star Wars was available in various shops. I found one place where you could buy the Twin Pod Cloud Car, and considered buying it (but opted to wait and return later if needed). Then in the next shop I discovered the Millennium Falcon! Naturally, that one won out, although it was a toy specialty shop and expensive.

I was happy with the MF for about a week. Then, the local supermarket got a Star Wars display, including the MF - for a lot less money than I had paid. To be sure, I could have bought the Twin Pod Cloud Car on that shopping trip, and the MF now, and still had spent no more money than I really did for the MF alone. That bugged me for a long time.

Worse, I never again found the Twin Pod Cloud Car in any shop. A decade later I saw a used one on a comic fair, but it was labeled "collectible" and was horrendously overpriced. Other than some other Kenner vehicles, Hasbro never re-released this mold either. So, to this day I don't own the original Twin Pod Cloud Car although I could have.

(I do own the new Hasbro mold but it's not the same.)

In the later lines, I did not buy the Outrider (stupid rotating cockpit feature, and much too small) or the Turbo Tank (ugly shoebox), which are now both overpriced and hard to find. I kind of regret not getting them at the time. But these never caused me the same grief, because I still think they're ugly, so the Twin Pod Cloud Car wins out.

Reaction score
Before I was collecting I found the big falcon on clearance for $40. Had planned to ditch the wife & go back & grab it but I was to late.

Reaction score
Mine would have to be Jabba's Sail Barge, The Khetanna. I had been saving up for it when I heard about it and then my car broke down. I got my car fixed instead. Should have just bought the barge and rode my bike to work. Hopefully Hasbro will re-release just the barge without Yak Face and the other stuff. I'd considered buying it on e-bay but can't find one that isn't an outrageous price.

Reaction score
During the Legacy days, I skipped a number of comic packs, and now many are ridiculously priced. I picked up Darth Vader & Princess Leia (Infinities - Return of the Jedi) for only $25 on Amazon last year, which was one of my priority comic packs I skipped. My most wanted pack was Montross & Jaster Mereel (Jango Fett - Open Seasons), but it was an EE exclusive, and they messed up a few of my orders previously, so I stopped ordering from them altogether. Since its so pricey now, I doubt I'll ever own one.

Reaction score
The Clone Wars pack of 4 Mandalorian Warriors. Didn't have the money the day I saw it, never saw it again in the store. The ones online when I find them are ridiculously overpriced.

Reaction score
Before I was collecting I found the big falcon on clearance for $40. Had planned to ditch the wife & go back & grab it but I was to late.
Wow, you were going to leave your wife for the Falcon? I think she might have spotted you the $40.

Reaction score
Battle of Yavin pack. Really wanted that Porkins, and only ever saw it once! Hoping to finally make good on that one soon, like I just did with the McQuarrie Concept sets. (Got both for $100 combined!)

Reaction score
I skipped that pilot pack as well - wasn't fond of Porkins though, the POTJ version looks much more like him. The resculpt of Porkins reminds me of Steve Sansweet. The set is just so boring when it comes to variety of characters, so I didn't pull the trigger - same goes for those two TRU exclusive pilot packs, and one of those I regret, as I'd really like to own Lt. Ekelarc Yong - wish they'd repack him in TVC.

Reaction score
The Clone Wars pack of 4 Mandalorian Warriors. Didn't have the money the day I saw it, never saw it again in the store. The ones online when I find them are ridiculously overpriced.
Same here... I have 2 in my hands and nothing in my pockets!!! Still miss those as I always have one close and open one for display. 😞

Reaction score
The Emperor's Shuttle that came with a couple figures, I think it was a Wal Mart exclusive from about 7-10 years ago. It was always on the end cap, and at the time I had to really save for something like that. When I finally did, they were all gone because they went on clearance!

At the time, I was a one hour drive from Wal Mart or Target, so I literally only could get there once a week. Shipping for it online was insane, so I just never got it.

Reaction score
The Emperor's Shuttle that came with a couple figures, I think it was a Wal Mart exclusive from about 7-10 years ago. It was always on the end cap, and at the time I had to really save for something like that. When I finally did, they were all gone because they went on clearance!

At the time, I was a one hour drive from Wal Mart or Target, so I literally only could get there once a week. Shipping for it online was insane, so I just never got it.
Fao was the blue box and the black box Target

Reaction score
There is probably more than one but... the one that sticks out right now is the Ulic Qel-Droma & Exar Kim Comic 2 pack. Saw it at Target one day while I was at lunch. Debated
buying it....Went back later and never saw it again.

Reaction score
What you should have done was explain it the same way Females justify spending Money, it was on sale!
When she would have seen how much you're saving, surely it would be okay. 😄

Reaction score
I'm in the process of writing a letter directly addressed to Hasbro's CEO with a list of NEW figures/characters from all of the movies that they could put out. I've complained for a LONG time to Hasbro's customer service department and nothing has changed. Time to go to the top. If nothing still changes, then at least I put it out there. I feel like I have to try something different than what I have been doing.

Reaction score
I'm in the process of writing a letter directly addressed to Hasbro's CEO with a list of NEW figures/characters from all of the movies that they could put out. I've complained for a LONG time to Hasbro's customer service department and nothing has changed. Time to go to the top. If nothing still changes, then at least I put it out there. I feel like I have to try something different than what I have been doing.

Reaction score
Mine was the unleashed Boba Fett. Found one once but bubble was dented some so passed on it. Never seen in retail stores again.

Reaction score
Mine was "The Crumb Bomber" gunship. I was certain that TRU would put it on sale at some point in time, bescause all of their big stuff went on sale from time to time. But nope on this, Not only did I never see it on sale, but it was only on shelves for a few months where most big stuff seemed to last for years in their inventory.

Reaction score
Definitely the online exclusive Comic Packs of T'ra Saa/Tholme and Exar Kun/Ulic. I just didn't pull the trigger when I could have. Never saw the Jacen, Jaina, K'Kruhk figures that were TRU exclusives but should have gotten those online too when I had the chance.

Reaction score
Not at the time. For the record I told her if I ever start buying LEGO for myself she is more than welcomed to leave my dumb ass
It's always good to have an exit strategy should you ever need it.. (y)

Reaction score
Definitely the online exclusive Comic Packs of T'ra Saa/Tholme and Exar Kun/Ulic. I just didn't pull the trigger when I could have. Never saw the Jacen, Jaina, K'Kruhk figures that were TRU exclusives but should have gotten those online too when I had the chance.
I found both of those at the Exchange on Robins Air Force Base when I was at a conference there. I put them back because they wouldn't honor a coupon I had. Talk about stupid. Never saw them again. I thought my base store would get them, but no.

Reaction score
Be sure to let us see your list.

Reaction score
I told this story once over in the vintage threads before but in a different context. I wish I pulled the trigger in, I guess 85, 86, when I was getting ready for school. I must’ve been a freshman. I recall halfway paying attention to the tv and I noticed a Star Wars commercial. Now at that time, I had stopped collecting and was serious about my other passion which was baseball. What I thought I saw a stormtrooper Luke on the commercial but you know in the 80s the Star Wars commercials were over in a flash and if you blinked, you missed it. Since I wasn’t sure what I saw, I dismissed it. In the back of my mind, I recall knowing that there were two more Ewok that I hadn’t collected, which were those last two ROJ figures that were added to the line. Strangely, I ignore those and let the collecting go. Anyway, I wish I would’ve taken a **** at stopping off at one of the store and checking out the toy department and seeing what was out.

I inquired about that commercial and got a lot of flack on the boards for a long time until someone finally unearthed it. It was the one and only POTJ commercial with the flying coins. Damn!

Reaction score
I hear you Simdog. Summer of 85 I was running around with friends when we stopped by a Kay-Bee. The POTF17 had just been released (or at least it was our first time seeing them). At $2.79 each, I wish I'd bought them all. I wasn't a carded collector at the time so I skipped on Anakin (mail-in figure), and Amanaman, Barada, and EV-9D9 (Sears Jabba's Dungeon Playset). Picked up Luke Endor, Lando General, R2 Lightsaber, Han Carbonite, and Imperial Dignitary. Figured I'd get the rest I needed later (Luke Stormtrooper and Death Star Gunner in particular). They were gone in a flash and I don't recall ever really seeing them again.

What's worse is they had an entire endcap (at least 20) of the Droids-boxed A-Wing fighters at $10.84 each. I bought one. I remember being disappointed it didn't come in a regular ROTJ or POTF box (like the Skiff, something else I never found). Wish I'd bought multiples of that as well.

Reaction score
I also remember seeing a complete framed set of the POTF coins in a Star Wars/Star Trek price guide from the late 80's. I remember you could send in a POP and get a free coin. I guess those who wanted a complete set decided to write to Kenner. Wish I'd thought of that as well. The frame had a POTF logo matte, with two of each coin so both front and back could be displayed.

Update: Found it. Apparently it was sent to Kenner Executives. Guide had it listed for $350 back then. http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48092

Last edited:
Reaction score
I hear you Simdog. Summer of 85 I was running around with friends when we stopped by a Kay-Bee. The POTF17 had just been released (or at least it was our first time seeing them). At $2.79 each, I wish I'd bought them all. I wasn't a carded collector at the time so I skipped on Anakin (mail-in figure), and Amanaman, Barada, and EV-9D9 (Sears Jabba's Dungeon Playset). Picked up Luke Endor, Lando General, R2 Lightsaber, Han Carbonite, and Imperial Dignitary. Figured I'd get the rest I needed later (Luke Stormtrooper and Death Star Gunner in particular). They were gone in a flash and I don't recall ever really seeing them again.

What's worse is they had an entire endcap (at least 20) of the Droids-boxed A-Wing fighters at $10.84 each. I bought one. I remember being disappointed it didn't come in a regular ROTJ or POTF box (like the Skiff, something else I never found). Wish I'd bought multiples of that as well.
Wow!! SW was an afterthought once I got deep into baseball. I never even thought twice about it except for that one glimpse at the end of that POTF commercial. I remember the Christmas of 84 or 85 when the Anakin mail in offer came out. I sent away for it and by the time it arrived, I opened it, looked at it, and put it in the bucket with the rest of my figures. It's never been played with. I still have them all though, except for the light saber R2, which brings me to my next story of the one that got away. I was at kane county toy show buying vintage to fill some gaps. This was the late 90's when I rediscovered SW. I had already spent my budget on figures when I came a ross pretty decent lightsaber r2 for $60. I wish I would've gotten it but I didn't have the cash and I probably could've worked something out with my sister, who collects barbie and ws with me. I didn't get it and now that figures costs a mint. It is still the only figure I do not have in my collection out of all 92.