what was your first ep1 figure????

Reaction score
gasgano, c-3po, and darth maul and lots of the trade droid variations.

12" tc-14 and sebulba are my fav of them all though.

Rik

Reaction score
I bought Obi-Wan, the Qui-Gon then Watto then Jar-Jar. I had Amidala, C-3PO, Anakin and Darth Maul put away for my birthday. It was a nice start.

Reaction score
the first one i picked up was ric olie, and the first one for E2 that i bought was luminara

Reaction score
My first was WATTO.

I just LOVE this character! He's my favorite alien from Ep1 (second to Nute Gunray, the guy who sounds like a Japanese vampire).

Watto had some of the best lines in either of the two prequels.

Reaction score
Bringing up a super old thread here, but mine was Senator Palpatine. Picked him up on the first day that the Episode I figures came out in stores. I didn't know who a lot of the Episode I characters were at that point since the movie wasn't out yet, so I thought it would be fun to have a "good guy" version of the Emperor.

Reaction score
My first Ep1 figures were impulse purchases at the supermarket. I was 22, had just moved across the country to start a job and thought it would be fun to treat myself to a couple of Star Wars action figures just like when I was a kid. I grabbed Palpatine and Darth Sideous.

Reaction score
Mine was Jedi duel Qui-Gon Jinn, followed up with Ki-Adi Mundi. My friend had the early release STAP and Battle Droid and Mace Windu, and we had a lot of fun making up stories before the film was out. Afterwards... not so much!

Reaction score
Mine first two figures were C-3PO and Darth Maul. I had just lost my job, so my partner surprised me with those figures to cheer me up! :wub:

Reaction score
Mine was Mace Windu. Picked it up because of who the actor was and my favorite figure from the selection the store had../

Reaction score
I didn't have much money during Midnight Madness, so I only picked up Anakin at first with the cash I had in my pocket. Then I went to my car, came back with my checkbook and picked up Watto and Anakin's Podracer. After that I had just enough money left in my account to buy the novelization the next day and then I was pretty much broke until the next payday.

Reaction score
Mine was Darth Maul (Jedi Duel). I waited patiently for Target to open and grabbed two as they were being put out. It's still pretty much my favorite EP I fig.

Reaction score
At the time, I was working at Toys R Us and helped set up and run the midnight opening sale for E1 figures. I bought only two: Darth Maul and Anakin. I would have grabbed a set but I was leaving for a 4 month backpacking trip to Europe and didn't want to spend the money.

For the midnight sale, Toys R Us employees were given a pretty neat Star Wars E1 Hasbro certificate for the midnight opening event. I should dig that out.

-Bobby

Reaction score
For the midnight sale, Toys R Us employees were given a pretty neat Star Wars E1 Hasbro certificate for the midnight opening event. I should dig that out.
Please do, that'd be cool to see.

Reaction score
Here is it. I have several binders of paper items and I had to find the appropriate one. Looking at it again, I'm wondering if this was only for employees that worked the midnight sale (and who cared enough to take one) or if one was given to any of the customers that lined up for the opening...and there were a lot. At any rate, this is probably the first time it's seen daylight in 15 years.

This was an internal Toys R Us flyer that was sent to stores and posted on the bulletin board in the management office. It was a heads-up of sorts from Hasbro about what the store could expect in terms of the first E1 merchandise. It was posted for about 25 minutes before I ganked it. Thug life.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for sharing! It's nuts to think how crazy everyone went for E1, I was absolutely loving it. I see you didn't sign the 'Star Wars Enthusiast' box...

Reaction score
Yep. People went nuts. Myself included. I remember checking and rechecking the delivery manifests in order to nail the date that the E1 merchandise would arrive. My manager was pretty cool and knew I was a Star Wars fan so he called me in that day to move the stuff from the truck to the security closet. I also got to run the assembly of the Star Wars feature section that we hurriedly set up after we closed a few hours before the midnight reopening. All in all, it was a really fun thing to do.

Reaction score
I didn't get to go to the midnight madness thing since my friend had to work.... but a few days afterwards.. I got my first figs... the first one I was adamant about getting was the character that interested me the most.

But I also got Obi-Wan, R2-D2, and Anakin :)

Reaction score
I've always liked the first Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon E1 figures. The later editions didn't impress me so much. The big plastic cloaks were clunky and I don't think the soft goods cloaks work that much better. The figure really seems to get swallowed up in the fabric.

Reaction score
Outside of the Mace Windu preview figure, my first one was Obi Wan Kenobi (Jedi Duel). Still one of my all-time favorite figures...

Reaction score
I'm shocked to realize 1999 is long enough ago I can feel nostalgic about it!

Fun to read people's memories of the first figures picked up. Here is a neat video someone put together of the midnight sale at a small Walmart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7n3YzDA3g

Wow. My guess would be that 90% of those figures ended up sun-faded and sitting in plastic totes at local flea markets.

Reaction score
I realized that this weekend will have been 15 years since the midnight release of the figures.

I remember being one of 30-40 people in line at my local TRU. People filling up carts with dolls, vehicles, dancing JarJar banks, and the figures.

I was originally just going to grab the Jedi and Darth Maul, but I think by the end of the night, I'd picked up about 11 figures:

Qui-gon
Obi-Wan
Darth Maul
Anakin
Padme
Amidala
Battle Droid
C-3PO
Watto
Ki-Adi Mundi
Senator Palpatine

I still remember by the end of the night, all the Mauls were gone, and the manager was standing by the exit handing out commemorative papers saying that we had taken part in the event.

Reaction score
My 1st was the preview Stap and Battle Droid and I still have it, along with about 90% of my Episode 1 Stuff. I never got the preview Windu as I could never find him at retail. I bought all but the super rare last wave figures, never seen them in the wild. I even bought the Lego sets, the smaller 2 sets jar jar/ qui gon and Qui gon maul sets.

Reaction score
auls were gone, and the manager was standing by the exit handing out commemorative papers saying that we had taken part in the event.
Ah. You just answered something I've been wondering about for a while now. I worked at TRU during the midnight sale and got one of these papers. I always wondered if it was for employees or for anyone who attended the sale. I don't remember customers getting them but I was working and furiously refilling empty pegs for a couple hours.

Reaction score
My first were Maul, Qui Gon, and Obi. The thought of a 3-way lightsaber duel had all but consumed me at that point. Like many my age (19 at the time), I'd been primed with the Special Editions and was devouring everything associated with EP1 at the time. If I'd had $20,000, I'd have spent it all on EP1 figures and merchandise that spring. Luckily I only had about $150. I am so nostalgic for EP1 and the figures in this line. Regardless of what people think of the movie, it was a great time in my life, and I love to relive it through the figures from time to time.

Reaction score
Midnight Madness. I was broke, and with my band (hard rock) and we were all lit. I remember it vividly. I remember people running down the aisles filling up multiple shopping carts - total chaos. I bought only Darth Maul. I never opened it and I was lucky enough to meet Ray Park and have him sign it. It's been on my bedroom wall ever since.

Reaction score
No idea. I got all of them on release day (I was 10). I remember my mom drove me to a few stores so I could get them all, especially since Maul was so hard to find.

ZX3

Reaction score
Aside from the Battle Droid and STAP and Mace Windu, the first regular Phantom Menace figure I picked up was a Jar Jar.
It might not seem like much but I got it the show store at the first Star Wars Celebration in Denver, so it holds some nostalgia.

Reaction score
the STAP w/ battle droid. Every Spring when all the trees and plants are finally in full bloom, I hang it in a dense shorter tree by fishing line, it's a great display, and surprises many..too awesome.

Reaction score
Darth Maul (Jedi Duel). I bought three of them and still have them all!

Reaction score
My only Ep1 figure is the sneak preview Mace. Got it bnib for about a dollar not so long ago.
I only bought it because, if I remember right, it was the first ever figure released for the PT trilogy (along with the battle droid/stap figure) back in '98/'99.
He made the bottom shelf.

If it counts, I did have a Jar Jar TVC figure moc, which I gave to a mate's son for his birthday (which he loved!), but I have had Mace a little while longer.

Reaction score
I went to Toys R Us at the midnight opening with only 1 goal (and piratically no money because I was only a kid) and that was to get the 12 inch Darth Maul. When the doors opened I pushed my way through to the front of the mob and found the 12 inch figures, stuck my hand out and was knocking them all over the place till I found one that said Darth Maul on top of the box, grabbed it and ran for the checkout. After I checked out and went to the door and was handed the little Star Wars toys opening night certificates the lady told me I was the first one to own an Episode 1 toy in the entire city. Good times.

Reaction score
I was at midnight madness also. Met a couple of people there who I am still really good friends with. I was in high school at the time and didn't have enough money to purchase all the figures like I did in the following midnight madnesses. The 6 I purchased that night were Anakin, Obi, Qui, Maul, Mace, and Palpatine.

Reaction score
I was 17 at the time, and remember being extremely excited. My Dad drove me to the nearest TRU, and we were shocked to see a line developing. When i hopped in line I saw two kids from school that I had no idea were interested in Star Wars. We actually stood there together.

When the doors finally opened it was utter chaos. I started out walking to the aile, but greatly increased my pace as I noticed a huge crowd sprinting towards the action figure section. When I got there, it was completely blocked by bodies. The whole aile was empty, because people ran up and shoved everything they could into there carts. When a lone(and brave) employee brought a case of figures out, he dropped it on the floor and stepped back, people ran towards the case like rats. I was small enough to reach the case and grabbed a maul, and promptly threw the rest of the figures in the air to people who couldnt get there. A few minutes later I overheard a woman complaining that someone had taken a maul out of her cart, so I gave her mine.

I finally got one figure, a Mace Windu, which I was determined to keep. I remember being disapointed that I didn't get Qui Gon, and happened to metion this to one of my school mates while still in the store. A man with an overflowing cart heard me and offered to SELL me his so I could go and buy it again from the store. I flat out said no, and left.

I was pretty disapointed, and disgusted with humanity that night, and went to sleep disgruntled.

Luckily, my parents were real cool, and my dad got up early with me, and took me to Target, where the full toy line up was available, and virtually nobody was there. He also took me to wal mart.

I'm pretty sure my parents called my high school to tell them I was sick so I could shop! LOL!

Reaction score
I was 17 at the time, and remember being extremely excited. My Dad drove me to the nearest TRU, and we were shocked to see a line developing. When i hopped in line I saw two kids from school that I had no idea were interested in Star Wars. We actually stood there together.

When the doors finally opened it was utter chaos. I started out walking to the aile, but greatly increased my pace as I noticed a huge crowd sprinting towards the action figure section. When I got there, it was completely blocked by bodies. The whole aile was empty, because people ran up and shoved everything they could into there carts. When a lone(and brave) employee brought a case of figures out, he dropped it on the floor and stepped back, people ran towards the case like rats. I was small enough to reach the case and grabbed a maul, and promptly threw the rest of the figures in the air to people who couldnt get there. A few minutes later I overheard a woman complaining that someone had taken a maul out of her cart, so I gave her mine.

I finally got one figure, a Mace Windu, which I was determined to keep. I remember being disapointed that I didn't get Qui Gon, and happened to metion this to one of my school mates while still in the store. A man with an overflowing cart heard me and offered to SELL me his so I could go and buy it again from the store. I flat out said no, and left.

I was pretty disapointed, and disgusted with humanity that night, and went to sleep disgruntled.

Luckily, my parents were real cool, and my dad got up early with me, and took me to Target, where the full toy line up was available, and virtually nobody was there. He also took me to wal mart.

I'm pretty sure my parents called my high school to tell them I was sick so I could shop! LOL!

Love the ending to the story. I was 17 at the time also.

Reaction score

Humans quickly turn savage when survival is on the line. :hmm:

I was cruising a Wal-Mart soon after the Han Bespin and Slave Leia figures started hitting the shelves. An employee must have just finished filling an end-cap because there was a guy with about 25 Slave Leia figures lying bubble-to-bubble flat at the bottom of his cart. He picked the pegs clean; leaving not one. He was searching through the Hot Wheels (looking for Treasure Hunt cars no doubt) when I asked him, very politely, if he would give up one of his Leia figures. Without even looking, he grunted through a barely discernible, "No I got here first you should have been earlier." You won't give up one of them? "No."

So a walked two aisles over, picked up one of the heavy boxed vinyl swimming pools, and dropped it into his cart. Bubble crunch galore. He wasn't happy. I was. He put most of them back on the shelf. I got one.

End of story.