What was the "official" number on ROTJ 2 packs?

Reaction score
Been reading Kellermans book and going over just about everything with a fine tooth comb. Been putting in extra research with the use of the Internet with additional info on whats talked about in the book. I got to the part of the mailers and different packs. Dug into the old threads here on the ROTJ 2 packs.

My question is- what was the "official" tally or numbers on how many of these were/are in existence? was it 1400ish or was that number changed over time? Have we lost some of these due to their very thin plastic bubbles?

Reaction score
Been reading Kellermans book and going over just about everything with a fine tooth comb. Been putting in extra research with the use of the Internet with additional info on whats talked about in the book. I got to the part of the mailers and different packs. Dug into the old threads here on the ROTJ 2 packs.

My question is- what was the "official" tally or numbers on how many of these were/are in existence? was it 1400ish or was that number changed over time? Have we lost some of these due to their very thin plastic bubbles?
Very few have been destroyed. The heat seals on these are quite sturdy. The bubbles really don't yellow either. The main problem is denting. There has been a succession of collectors who have attempted to amass every character in a 2 pack and have built up massive collections (David DeGregory, Todd DeMartino, myself, and now, Scott Olden). I just have 16 left down from just under 200. Scott has well over 200. Each of us has assiduously collected data on 2 packs owned by other collectors and, in turn, passed that on to the new steward of the 2 Pack central collection. This database reflects only the collecting community, those that pop up on ebay, and those in the AFA record, so it is only a representative sample, not a comprehensive inventory. New ones are always surfacing. They are still pretty darn rare for a Kenner production item in my opinion :)

edit: Todd D will have a chapter devoted solely to these whenever his book is finally published. There will be some good statistical info in there too, but I can't quite recall if the details are supposed to be a surprise, so I will stay mum for now. Knowing which characters are rare in 2 packs has been the province of those with the data (however, I have always helped others here on RS when asked about specific figures). If the full data set ever becomes public, it will double and triple the prices of some combos/figures that go for bargain prices now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-KENNER...269200?hash=item58d7b7cd90:g:auUAAOSws4JW8MSc

A friend in Denmark won this one (so I refrained form bidding). It is a triple rarity: ESB figure (IG-88) rather than ROTJ (most common); weapon; AND rare Montgomery Ward price sticker (99% are Kaybee)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very few have been destroyed. The heat seals on these are quite sturdy. The bubbles really don't yellow either. The main problem is denting. There has been a succession of collectors who have attempted to amass every character in a 2 pack and have built up massive collections (David DeGregory, Todd DeMartino, myself, and now, Scott Olden). I just have 16 left down from just under 200. Scott has well over 200. Each of us has assiduously collected data on 2 packs owned by other collectors and, in turn, passed that on to the new steward of the 2 Pack central collection. This database reflects only the collecting community, those that pop up on ebay, and those in the AFA record, so it is only a representative sample, not a comprehensive inventory. New ones are always surfacing. They are still pretty darn rare for a Kenner production item in my opinion :)

edit: Todd D will have a chapter devoted solely to these whenever his book is finally published. There will be some good statistical info in there too, but I can't quite recall if the details are supposed to be a surprise, so I will stay mum for now. Knowing which characters are rare in 2 packs has been the province of those with the data (however, I have always helped others here on RS when asked about specific figures). If the full data set ever becomes public, it will double and triple the prices of some combos/figures that go for bargain prices now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-KENNER...269200?hash=item58d7b7cd90:g:auUAAOSws4JW8MSc

A friend in Denmark won this one (so I refrained form bidding). It is a triple rarity: ESB figure (IG-88) rather than ROTJ (most common); weapon; AND rare Montgomery Ward price sticker (99% are Kaybee)

Jimmy (david?) thanks for the response.

I went and dug into the archives and pulled out every single thread with info about this top and other forums, found a TON of info. In those threads and through the years, different numbers were compiled and changed and as time went on with other collectors input its interesting to see how the different variations and availability and a pretty good universe of how many exist was identified.

I understand you lost your interest in these for a time period, was it around 2008? Also, that contest/give-away you had was pretty neat, that was a great idea in fact. Will you ever done one of those again? It was find of funny how you relate was it your son was going to help in pulling a name but he flooded the bath tub that same day lol

What sparked my interest (again) in these was reading about them again in Mr Kellerman's wonderful book. I do remember them from Kay-Bee tho but my parents never bought me one, probably because they thought, "he has these already". But I remember them, lay around on the floor, on the end cap, the bright orange sticks in my mind, which now that I think of it, thats why I am sure they put them on a bright orange, get more eyeballs on them.

anyways, interesting history in terms of the collectors who collect these. I thought the comment from Chris was interesting also and very true from what I read.

I hope to compile in order all the threads and put them here on a new thread here. Hopefully new collectors find the entire compiling and get an interest in these, a true unique focus from the glory days of ROTJ.;)

Reaction score
David - Hate to say this out loud but it's FXToys who sold it. There's a pretty good chance that the sticker was a transplant

Reaction score
Peter had it shipped to me (he is coming to Kane Co. Toy Show in 3 weeks). I peeled the price sticker 60% off...expecting the worst...and, nothing...totally original under there....sorta feel bad for peeling it now :(

So, I guess we can add Montgomery Wards to Lloyd's and Kaybee as distributors. Todd DeMartino interviewed a former VP at CG Corp (which Kenner hired to do the 2 packs for them). The VP said that Kaybee had the lion's share of the distribution on 2 Packs, but that some local/regional stores (he didn't specify) in the NY area (CG headquartered in NY) picked them up too at the tail end (Kind of like the modern "Amazon" exclusive Droid factory figures that ended up at TRU Express and Go Calendars later I suppose). Lloyd's was in NY.

Reaction score
Peter had it shipped to me (he is coming to Kane Co. Toy Show in 3 weeks). I peeled the price sticker 60% off...expecting the worst...and, nothing...totally original under there....sorta feel bad for peeling it now :(

So, I guess we can add Montgomery Wards to Lloyd's and Kaybee as distributors. Todd DeMartino interviewed a former VP at CG Corp (which Kenner hired to do the 2 packs for them). The VP said that Kaybee had the lion's share of the distribution on 2 Packs, but that some local/regional stores (he didn't specify) in the NY area (CG headquartered in NY) picked them up too at the tail end (Kind of like the modern "Amazon" exclusive Droid factory figures that ended up at TRU Express and Go Calendars later I suppose). Lloyd's was in NY.
do you guys meet up at the show? its in my back yard

Reaction score
on this other listing from ebay.... from FX toys, the two pack with Bib and Madine,,, is that a known sticker on 2 Packs?

Reaction score
boy, is it me or are this there really a jump on these 2-packs on eBay now? I mean its nice to seem them .. but seems like they are really showing up now.. not that I am complaining, I really LIKE them :grin:

Reaction score
I am going to keep this thread going. Going to keep updating it prices and auctions from ebay, share the knowledge. No need for only a few to keep information related to these great 2-packs under wraps. I think also I am going to post every single discussion thread from here and all other forums that are informative for collectors on here. :grin:

So who caught the auction with the Vader and original Princess Leia Kay-Bee 2-pack go for almost 1,300, WHEW. But then again, not surprising. This would be a very desirable combo so it would be easy to see why collectors would bid this up.... not mention SW vintage collecting at all time highs.

I think there is another reason too but I will hold off on that for later B)

Reaction score
Saw that listing. I would have been very hesitant to pay $1300 for that with a loose bubble seal and yellow bubble. Will be interesting to see how it gets on in the post! There has been a lot of these for sale recently; some really interesting combos as well. Was disappointed to miss out of the LXW / Bib combo but was a punchy end price $!

Reaction score
Saw that listing. I would have been very hesitant to pay $1300 for that with a loose bubble seal and yellow bubble. Will be interesting to see how it gets on in the post! There has been a lot of these for sale recently; some really interesting combos as well. Was disappointed to miss out of the LXW / Bib combo but was a punchy end price $!
yes, totally agree with your observations above. I was thinking tho, to myself "hey yak faces on POTF with yellow almost brown bubbles are going for 4-5K so I guess I shouldnt be surprised someone went for a yellow 2-pack." I certainly wouldnt want it, not with the yellow bubble and loose bubble seals it had but I Guess another collector viewed it as an opportunity.

Reaction score
Yes. Leia and Vader are an awesome combo in any condition. I wish that I could have added one. I knew that it would go high and didn't bid.

The Snaggletooth Ackbar 2 Pack for $3600 on ebay awhile back set the record for a public sale. Private sales...hmmm...could be a bit more, but sworn to secrecy about some those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351745745476?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Leia is always in demand. She looks nice all white against that orange setting sun background.

Last edited:
Reaction score
$3,600!! I missed that listing. Presuming that's the only known Snag combo then? Incredible result.

Leia original seems to be one of the most common figures to appear. Not quite Gen Mad or Han Trench but certainly a frequent appearance from her.

Reaction score
Yes, Snaggletooth is definitely uncommon and Leia is pretty common (but since she is popular and looks good on that card, she usually does well on price).

Reaction score
... and then we have our boy X-wing Luke popping up there too, nice combo...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351740714604?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Yes. LXW is a tough one. I'm not going to even think about bidding...too rich for my blood.

I truly enjoyed the days when I was one of the few collecting these and was picking them up for $25-$50 in the early 2000's. Those days are long gone. I chose 2 packs as a focus because 3 packs were too expensive (I only bought 2 of those: Bespin for $500 and Villains for $1000 - those days are gone too!!) and no one else was going after them. Still solid advice for a new focus today (if there are still even any unclaimed territories :) ).

Reaction score
Recently saw an auction on ebay for a two pack, where, the bubble came off. Looks like the bubble coming off took off about 50% of the value of the piece. It had been already graded :( Man, I like these ROTJ 2-packs and are unique, I like the "ugly" factor of these cards but dang, I dont know about buying them and then getting a 50% hair cut! o-o

Reaction score
Recently saw an auction on ebay for a two pack, where, the bubble came off. Looks like the bubble coming off took off about 50% of the value of the piece. It had been already graded :( Man, I like these ROTJ 2-packs and are unique, I like the "ugly" factor of these cards but dang, I don't know about buying them and then getting a 50% hair cut! o-o
that doesn't happen very often. On a positive note, I bet the bubble was not yellowed! It seems that the bubbles were made out of a similar plastic to that of the tri-logos and, thus, rarely yellow.

Reaction score
that doesn't happen very often. On a positive note, I bet the bubble was not yellowed! It seems that the bubbles were made out of a similar plastic to that of the tri-logos and, thus, rarely yellow.
The bubble was not yellow and yes, i rarely see them yellow. Tho, I been noticing more, tho still not as common as say ROTJ bubbles, but I been seeing more Trilogo yellow bubbles than I would like.

I think tho sadly, no matter what, with time, the occurrences with bubbles falling off and turning yellow, will spike up, sadly :(

Reaction score
C/P from price check thread
So I bought my first 2 pack this summer: Leia Org. and Ackbar/ descent enough card/ a few dents in bubble, Leia really minty white: $250 ebay buy it now (not an auction)- good deal I thought

Just snagged last night one I haven't seen much of: Chirpa and Leia Poncho (she is without her helmet but stocked with Leia Boushh's staff!)
-anybody have a clue on the value of this twosome?? and how rare might it be?? -the card and bubble are actually in really good shape!

• Moff
    Join DateSep 2011

Wow. nice combo, I like that. Surprised there was only 1 bidder in the auction too, and it comes with a weapon, which they usually dont. So another nice win there!

Ok so I have been compiling data on these, I have 2016 numbers from ebay and did find one, with another for reference, so I hope this helps you!

175.40 with roughly 22 in shipping, Chirpa and Leia poncho, no weapon, just MOC no crack in bubble or yellow bubble nor lifting and just the usual denting
    The same one was listed again by the seller on ebay a few months later and it went for 171.54 with the same shipping costs.

Reference point-

Chief Chirpa and Prune Face- MOC, no grading, 138.15 plus 7.90 shipping on march 24 2016, no weapons
    Chief Chirpa and Biker Scout, MOC, no grading, really dented up 2-pack, like as if an elephant sat on it, went for $155 plus 6.10 in shipping

I been trying to keep an active discussion alive here about them- http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1127650

• 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM
    BTD2

Lieutenant
    Join DateJul 2016LocationIllinois

Hoth thanks!
    It was not an auction- snagged it last night within minutes after it was listed w buy it now price (underpriced- YES!)
    Thanks for the knowledge!! These are fun in that on this 2-pack some kenner employee grabbed the staff (buzz! wrong weapon!!!) and tossed it in! - these were just overstock extras so I think the kenner brass were a little loose w rules- but I believe it makes this card a bit more valuable and for sure more COOL w Leias big staff​

Reaction score
C/P from price check thread
So I bought my first 2 pack this summer: Leia Org. and Ackbar/ descent enough card/ a few dents in bubble, Leia really minty white: $250 ebay buy it now (not an auction)- good deal I thought

Just snagged last night one I haven't seen much of: Chirpa and Leia Poncho (she is without her helmet but stocked with Leia Boushh's staff!)
-anybody have a clue on the value of this twosome?? and how rare might it be?? -the card and bubble are actually in really good shape!

• Moff
    Join DateSep 2011

Wow. nice combo, I like that. Surprised there was only 1 bidder in the auction too, and it comes with a weapon, which they usually dont. So another nice win there!

Ok so I have been compiling data on these, I have 2016 numbers from ebay and did find one, with another for reference, so I hope this helps you!

175.40 with roughly 22 in shipping, Chirpa and Leia poncho, no weapon, just MOC no crack in bubble or yellow bubble nor lifting and just the usual denting
    The same one was listed again by the seller on ebay a few months later and it went for 171.54 with the same shipping costs.

Reference point-

Chief Chirpa and Prune Face- MOC, no grading, 138.15 plus 7.90 shipping on march 24 2016, no weapons
    Chief Chirpa and Biker Scout, MOC, no grading, really dented up 2-pack, like as if an elephant sat on it, went for $155 plus 6.10 in shipping

I been trying to keep an active discussion alive here about them- http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1127650

• 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM

BTD2

Lieutenant
    Join DateJul 2016LocationIllinois

Hoth thanks!
    It was not an auction- snagged it last night within minutes after it was listed w buy it now price (underpriced- YES!)
    Thanks for the knowledge!! These are fun in that on this 2-pack some kenner employee grabbed the staff (buzz! wrong weapon!!!) and tossed it in! - these were just overstock extras so I think the kenner brass were a little loose w rules- but I believe it makes this card a bit more valuable and for sure more COOL w Leias big staff​

I saw that Leia earlier this year with the Admiral, did you catch the Gammie Guard and Leia too, much earlier this spring? It is my understanding most did not come with weapons. I vaguelllllllyyy remember these and I dunno, but that bright orange in the background of the card catches my eyes.

Let me congratulate you again on your purchase, very nice price. There have been a few others that go quickly for the Buy It Now price. Most expensive one I saw this year was a Darth and Leia combo, about 1,200 bucks at the end of the auction and it had a yellow bubble at that!

I hope we can keep this thread active and going here so that other collectors that are either coming back to the hobby or new get familiar with these neat toy items from the ROTJ era.

My personal favorites are the ones with Biker Scouts, Hoth Stormtroopers and the ever lovable green pig, Mr Gammie Guard :D

ps- thats a GREAT combo, I love the pairing, an ewok with Leia in her Poncho which I always looked so cool. God I remember when I first got that figure!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I thought now would be a good time to pull up a listing of some useful and informative links to older threads in these wonderful archives we have here to research on RS. These are all related to the ROTJ 2-packs.

I hope you all find them useful and enjoy them just as I have! Tommy gave me this suggestion, so I'll list them out. Check out the last one, some interesting reading there, I guess you could call it some history or a blast from the past, from the early collector days!

Star Wars ROTJ 2-pack Threads

ROTJ 2-packs anyone?
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=973202

Vintage ROTJ 2 Packs
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1124366

ROTJ 2 Packs or 3 Packs
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1104410

ROTJ 2 packs Questions??
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=904333

ROTJ 2-pack question
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=809588

Return of the Jedi Two Packs
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1008340

ROTJ 2 Packs carded?
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=908053

Why are the ROTJ 2 packs so hot right now???
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=809052

6 Rare ROTJ 2-Packs MOC
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1022312

ROTJ 2-Packs
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=942583

Another FAKE ROTJ 2-pack with Fett
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=881267

Reaction score
Thanks again- wow lots to look over...just looked over Jimmy 2 packs collection from a long while ago- fun stuff
He had 1/6 leia boushhes w a staff and 0/4 of his leia battle poncho w a staff so Im just going to assume for my personal glory and happiness that mine is a one of a kind until proven otherwise!!! I can see how collecting these can be fun/addicting- my buddy jedik fell into the trap; I may be too!
BT

Reaction score
Thanks again- wow lots to look over...just looked over Jimmy 2 packs collection from a long while ago- fun stuff
He had 1/6 leia boushhes w a staff and 0/4 of his leia battle poncho w a staff so Im just going to assume for my personal glory and happiness that mine is a one of a kind until proven otherwise!!! I can see how collecting these can be fun/addicting- my buddy jedik fell into the trap; I may be too!
BT

Hey BT

Glad to share, I have really enjoyed reading and re-reading threads such as these from back in the day. There is so much to be found in there and Its nice to share and keep them where folks can find them. Lots of great info on these 2-packs. What I found interesting was the different combos out there and estimates of what is available.

.. and yea they are so neat, I guess the allure of them is their simplicity, two figures on a simple card, with a big smashed, dented bubble lol Some of the combos are just perfect you know?

Reaction score
Most expensive one I saw this year was a Darth and Leia combo, about 1,200 bucks at the end of the auction and it had a yellow bubble at that!
You missed the one about 1 year ago that had 2 bidders run it up to $3650 at auction. I don't want to mention the figure combo as a friend of mine is currently negotiating over a similar figure in a 2 Pack and don't want to wreck their deal.

Reaction score
BT
Yours is the only Leia Poncho with a Boussh staff that I know of. Congrats and Enjoy! It is the 1% of the 1% (2 packs with weapons).

Reaction score
You missed the one about 1 year ago that had 2 bidders run it up to $3650 at auction. I don't want to mention the figure combo as a friend of mine is currently negotiating over a similar figure in a 2 Pack and don't want to wreck their deal.
Was that one in this thread, much earlier, I think you mentioned it?

When the deal is done with your friend, please sure with us what the 2 pack combo was, inquiring minds want to know!

Reaction score
A portion of my former collection - of photos already uploaded to RS (I have/had about 80 others not seen here). I believe my collection was once around 160 total; it was quite a sight to walk into my office with 3 walls filled from floor to ceiling with Sunset Orange ROTJ 2 Packs. I still own about 25.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Reaction score
Was that one in this thread, much earlier, I think you mentioned it?

When the deal is done with your friend, please sure with us what the 2 pack combo was, inquiring minds want to know!
I will. At the time of the auction the figure was newly surfaced in a 2 Pack, and hence the bidding war. Now 2 more have surfaced, so they are worth far less than $3650.

As everyone here always advises: PATIENCE... :)

Reaction score
I will. At the time of the auction the figure was newly surfaced in a 2 Pack, and hence the bidding war. Now 2 more have surfaced, so they are worth far less than $3650.

As everyone here always advises: PATIENCE... :)
oh my goodness, no kidding! how exciting, after all these years, another twist and turn in the 2 pack world. We will be awaiting to hear from you on this development!

Reaction score
saw a nice Vader,white Leia 2-pack a couple weeks ago, bubble crushed, which again, we know thats common but this time closing out for 1,650 and NOT yellow, the last Vader/white Leia combo I saw went for 1200ish but the bubble was yellow.

Reaction score
saw a nice Vader,white Leia 2-pack a couple weeks ago, bubble crushed, which again, we know thats common but this time closing out for 1,650 and NOT yellow, the last Vader/white Leia combo I saw went for 1200ish but the bubble was yellow.
interesting... this same 2-pack is listed again, must be the winning bidder decided not to pay up... hmmmmmmmm

Reaction score
Yes, interesting. I wish I that had the funds to buy it. It would go nicely with my Luke/Leia and Han/Chewie.
I wonder, I dont have my data base near me to check the dates but I wonder, did the winning bidder just not pay up OR when the winning bidder received it, was there something wrong with it? I need to check the dates and listing again I guess to answer my questions...

Reaction score
Man, those prices looked pretty steady on those recent eBay auctions for the 2-packs featuring Darth V.... ok so here was in on the bidding? lol jk

Reaction score
Hahaha I would never buy a vader 2-pack :grin:
HAHA!!!

I really LIKED that Gammie and Mr V 2-pack, but I did not bid. In the past, I would have, but as I mentioned on another thread, MOCs are all off limits for me. I am happy tho, for those who got these nice 2-packs into their collections. Wonderful pieces.