What to do with my collection???

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've got a TON of items (all modern 1995-now) mostly figures, ships, etc from Hasbro. The only problem is that I'm 25 and have them stored at my dad's house, which he will be selling soon, so I have a dilemma. I really don't want to pay for a storage unit, but I don't have enough room at my place.

So my options are:
1. Open the common, not worth much items to save space
2a. Sell, sell, sell! Online via eBay, Craigslst, forums
2b. Sell local via a comic book shop on commission, where they store and sell it and give me a cut when it sells.
3. Donate most of it to charity (for the warm fuzzys)

I think in the long run I mainly will keep my really special/exclusive pieces and focus on just keeping/collecting Yoda. I really am thinking I should just open them and save the storage space and have them for when I have kids so I can play with them. I still have my old figures from before I started keeping them sealed and how fun they were to have.

Reaction score
It all depends on you really, we can't answer that question. If you want them you will find a way to keep them, you can get a storage unit for $30 a month so that's not really that expensive, that should fit all your figures unless you have 1000's of boxed pieces then you will pay a little more for more space obviously. If you can't afford $30 a month I would advise to keep the ones you can store and sell the rest or open them and keep them, if they were vintage Id say keep them all and never open them, then move into the storage unit to save money on rent, make sure they have an outlet for plugging in a tv and a George Foreman grill!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a loose collector for the most part so I would say open them, a lot of people keep the "inner bubble" so you don't loose any accesories, you can stick them in a tote and save space. or put them in baggies, it might help to label them so you know what they are. For alot of modern stuff the value of loose complete vs. carded isn't that big of a deal.

I wouldn't sell unless you either have no attachment to them or you need the money.

keep in mind with ebay they take a cut, and paypal takes a cut so you end up loosing a good percentage off the top.

You could narrow your focus too like you said. maybe just keep definitive versions of each character.

If you have the time you can do a table at a local toy show or comic con, or possibly the flea markets.

Reaction score
Yeah I scanned a few items with the Brian's Toys app to get a price quote and the $2-$5 per figure is crazy low, but then again I think I value them more because I like them so much. I tried to get 1 of each character for the most part, and have done a pretty good job at that. I'd say I probably had all of the mid-90s Kenner figures that came out on the cool red and green card backs, but those are all opened.

Honestly with some of the more modern figures, opening them wouldn't be so bad, like you said based on loose vs mint on card pricing.

I think for sure I'll end up selling a lot of my ships that take up the most space and are also worth the most too. It's a shame they don't make as many cool things as they used too, like the playsets.