What The?

Reaction score
I apologize if this is in the wrong area of the forum, but I didn't know where to put it and I found it interesting, and slightly concerning, so I wanted to share this with other fans.

I always scan the packaging of the toys I get, I do this for a few reasons, one of them being that you notice little details that you normally wouldn't pay attention to when you are looking at the package while holding it, like with this item I just got.

This is the back of the package for the 3po and R2 Cosbaby figures from Hot Toys, look closely at the warning label, it says CANCER AND REPRODUCTIVE HARM. Seriously? I've been buying toys for over 40 years, and this is the first time I've ever seen a warning label like this on a toy.

I've got figures from Japan before and haven't seen this label on any of them. Is this common for Japanese imports? What the hell are they putting in the toys they make? Is this thing safe to handle? Are they trying to tell you that if a pregnant woman handles this that her kid could come out looking like a Cosbaby? I know that might sound like my attempt at humor, but it wasn't, I think this is very serious, and something to be concerned about.

Is anyone else concerned about the chemicals used to produce toys marketed for kids these days? I know someone is going to post a comment saying that this is a Hot Toys product, and it's marketed for mature collectors, the package even says that it is recommended for ages 15 and up, but then it also says that it isn't suitable for kids under 3, and there are obviously parents out there that would let their kids over the age of 3 play with it.

So regardless of age, do you want to be exposed to toys containing chemicals that could cause you medical harm? Are they possibly releasing toys over here made with the same chemicals and not labeling the package with the truth because the American toy companies can get around it? What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• cosbaby.jpg
    cosbaby.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
  • cosbaby a.jpg
    cosbaby a.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 7
  • cosbaby aa.jpg
    cosbaby aa.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 7
This is one of the big differences between US & foreign sold toys. Note other countries have similar laws as to what is allowed in toys & other products.

Mostly when this comes up it lead paint, those Burger King glasses are a no go for drinking.

As long as you are not sucking on the product like a baby might, you are probably fine.

However when disposing of these things it might be good to double bag the product in case it’s made from anything that could leak into the soil.

Also worth noting if a product is only available overseas then it might be made with some questionable ingredients.

While US law is generally conservative, we also deal with California’s eco laws which additionally limit what can be allowed (They are a major port for delivery from China) Also the source of this particular warning.

Many of these products/ ingredients are considered safe in the rest of the world, so use your best judgment when dealing with them.

I've read the same disclaimers on tubes of model filler.

"REPRODUCTIVE HARM" might be someone's sly dig at the chances of collectors getting lucky with a bedroom shelf full of cutesy Pop style figures.

Back