What pre-Disney EU content are you enjoying lately...

Reaction score
For instance, I'm rereading the Heir to the Empire trilogy and finishing up the first book for the third time.

I also listen to the other audiobooks when doing hobbies and gaming. Making custom EU figures while listening to their stories is really entertaining.

And I've been playing X-Wing Alliance a lot lately. It's so satisfying being able to fight the Empire in freighters and starfighters.

What pre-Disney Expanded Universe content are you enjoying lately? :{J

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since The Disney purchase and announcement of the EU ending, I started re-reading the EU from the beginning. I estimated I had about 8 years worth at the pace I normally read. I'm what, 5 years in now? About 60% done with novels and 75% with comics. I am just finishing Crimson Empire III from Dark Horse and the next story is the The Crystal Star novel.

I highly recommend reading it in chronological order. Even if you can't read it all in order, at least run through a section in order. There are places where blocks of stories seem to separate out from the larger picture. There are so many of what I might consider side details to the major plot points that stand out more. Things like a name drop or reference to a character, place, or event. When books came out out of order and maybe months or years apart, these littler details didn't register very much with me. But when read in order, plot points do string together and help build a larger scale of events and actions behind the scenes. The run through the X-Wing Rogue Squadron novels and comics, the Jedi Academy novels, the solo books like The Courtship of Princess Leia and I, Jedi, and all in between do paint a good picture of how the Empire moved forward after RotJ. A council, Sate Pestage, Ysanne Isard, Warlords, Thrawn, Daala, Pellaeon, another council, all these things advance the state of the Empire before it can get back to being on more stable ground. At the same time the OT gang advances in development, and plenty of new characters are introduced and then grow and interact with the OT gang, and the SW world really populates itself for a long run of books to come that flow very well in one continuous saga.

I have not read or seen any new Disney SW nor do I intend to. I do read the discussions here and I can honestly say that nothing I have heard about in any of it sounds the least bit interesting to me. Certainly not better than what I already have in novels and comics. It would be nice to see new SW movies, but I have enough material to keep me satisfied with a finite world of stories. If one day they decide to continue writing more stories that fit with the EU then I would be back on board with new purchases of content.

Reaction score
I'd love to have access to all the DH comics and older Marvel ones.

I'm mainly rereading my novels and playing the pc/xbox games. And when I read the novels I do go in order. I read Truce at Bakura again before this rereading of Heir. And I mainly stick to OT-post ROTJ. I need to read all the PT stuff. I've started some KOTOR/TOR novels, but I'm more into the post ROTJ content.

I like Rebels and incorporate it into my fold of EU content. But only because of its use of the EU and the way it helps flesh out certain aspects of the Star Wars galaxy.

The Audiobooks are also way better than the so far 3 films Disney's made. Vector Prime is a great read, but the audiobook is something else. It's like a feature film. And the scenes dealing with Chewie get me every time.

I'm subbed to Matt Wilkins on youtube and he's done a great job with the chronological order of the EU. I like hearing his perspective on the EU. And it helps me hear more about the comics I have yet to read.

I'd love to see Disney do a TCW/Rebels style series that visualizes the post ROTJ novels starting with Truce. They can have "filler" episodes and B stories of Rogue/Wraith squadron's adventures too. And if they did it like the DBZ sagas that would be cool. Bakura saga, Thrawn saga, Exar Kun saga(Jedi Academy with some TOR/KOTOR stuff?), Black Fleet Crisis saga, etc. And they'd have to fill in the COTJ, COPL, etc. Hopefully in order but they could jump around a little like TCW.

The Yuuzhan Vong saga would be awesome. :{J

Reaction score
I have not read or seen any new Disney SW nor do I intend to.
You are doing yourself a disservice by not seeing RO or reading Lost Stars. Obviously you don' have to but it is in my highest recommendation you read Lost Stars.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
I recently listened to the Radio plays and they were great. Now I'm listening to SW Christmas In the Stars.
I also went through all the Marvel and "Classic" SW comics, not to read but to look for cool things to customize.

I have a long list of EU aliens/droid I want to make, and a perhaps a couple of ships.

Reaction score
You are doing yourself a disservice by not seeing RO or reading Lost Stars. Obviously you don' have to but it is in my highest recommendation you read Lost Stars.
I appreciate the suggestion and concern that I may be missing out on something, but I have decades of experience proving that I enjoy one unified stream of content much more. Alternate versions, reboots, re-tellings, etc. provide competition and play against each other. I like to think that it all happened.

If something occurs, it will have permanent consequences. That forces creativity to adapt and use what has come before. Reboot versions can throw out what someone doesn't want and makes things easier for them. But then, everything written must be taken with a grain of salt, because someone could jettison that too down the road. This makes things less enjoyable to me, and can lead to a sense of everything and anything is possible, because someone else can erase it if they don't like it or can't work with it. It also makes it harder to develop impressions of personalities because you can't depend on tendencies. A good writer will incorporate how a character has behaved before into their current story. They can create a situation where it looks like a character is trapped based on their past, and that heightens the tension of the moment. Will they find a way out, or will they compromise a belief? But if nothing is considered permanent or safe, then the tension may not build because so and so can always pull something new out of their butt to get through the moment.

Star Wars felt different to me because of the EU. When Marvel then DC were rebooting things, SW kept rolling along telling one tale of this galaxy. Whether we agreed or not with events or decisions, we could at least see people living out a lifespan. It felt like a real world in this sense. It stood out to me. There were stories I wasn't as thrilled with and some writers have a style that I don't like, but I was fine with just about everything that came out. I never felt forced to buy a book or comic, I wanted to follow the continuing stories.

People who love the OT only, that's great that you love that. But if I was so inclined I could say that was just the tip of the iceberg and you have missed out on so much. Perhaps all those who are angry about the new movies, that the big three won't be the stars going forward, could fill that yearning for more of them if they would revisit what is now called Legends. You would see the growth of Leia's Force ability, as well as see Luke stay true to character. How did the FO come to be? Well there is no FO in the EU, OK? (just a little fun with initials there...) But my point is that in novels and comics there are no restrictions due to the health and age of actors. So people can follow the big three from RotJ up to the time line where the new movies are, and perhaps get that back story and volume of action that they wish they could be seeing in the movies.

Is it not real though? Say what you want, but it was real for decades. The story group took great efforts from the Thrawn trilogy forward to coordinate stories. It is not perfect, but most major changes occurred because Lucas himself changed things and threw the EU out of whack.

Anyway, this turned away from what I have been reading into why I prefer it and won't be following the new stuff, but hopefully someone reading it will consider reading the EU now, or perhaps EU old timers will chime in or feel a kindred spirit to my thoughts.

But in my case, I cannot enjoy the best of both worlds, so to speak. It isn't the way I prefer or enjoy things to the utmost. I am too ingrained in the EU lore to replace it. And with the volume I have to enjoy, I'm not sitting around wishing I had SW in my life. Eight years of daily multiple hour reading is quite a lot to keep busy with.

I didn't intend to steer this away from what we are reading in the EU, but I did want to reply to the thought expressed towards me. By no means am I carrying an argument and waiting for a new place to start it up. I just wanted to say I appreciate the thought, but here's why it won't work in my case.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for putting so much care and thought into that, well done. Though you should still read Lost Stars:))). (I hope that last part comes across as a joke)

As for the topic, I'm not reading it as much as I'd like but I'm a small ways into Darth Plageus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Crimson Empire

BEST backstory about the elite of the elite in the Empire!
I finished Crimson Empire III last night. It's one of the few instances where I feel the art isn't up to the level of quality that the EU deserves or maintains. So many repeated poses. The artist has a set of standard ones that get recycled between all the characters. Full face zooms that take up 1/3 of a panel and are looking off to the side, figures running away with one leg kicked up high to indicate maximum effort, top down angles where the shoulders to feet remind me of a pair of scissors standing on its points. A lot of the perspectives seem exaggerated. No one's face looks the same from panel to panel. I'm no artist and can't draw, and don't like to knock anyone. It just isn't very good to me. The Crimson Empire story and its characters become forgettable to me because of it. And I really like almost all of the EU, so I almost feel like I am betraying it by criticizing any part of it. I think a different artist, or even having it be a short story in perhaps the Tales From The Empire novel, would make it a stronger EU story.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I finished Crimson Empire III last night. It's one of the few instances where I feel the art isn't up to the level of quality that the EU deserves or maintains. So many repeated poses. The artist has a set of standard ones that get recycled between all the characters. Full face zooms that take up 1/3 of a panel and are looking off to the side, figures running away with one leg kicked up high to indicate maximum effort, top down angles where the shoulders to feet remind me of a pair of scissors standing on its points. A lot of the perspectives seem exaggerated. No one's face looks the same from panel to panel. I'm no artist and can't draw, and don't like to knock anyone. It just isn't very good to me. The Crimson Empire story and its characters become forgettable to me because of it. And I really like almost all of the EU, so I almost feel like I am betraying it by criticizing any part of it. I think a different artist, or even having it be a short story in perhaps the Tales From The Empire novel, would make it a stronger EU story.
Sorry but when I read EU material I don't focus on the artwork first and foremost to make my opinion it's the STORY and this along with many others are sequels to jedi not Episodes 7-9 because they happened like it not you can't change that...

Reaction score
Sorry but when I read EU material I don't focus on the artwork first and foremost to make my opinion it's the STORY and this along with many others are sequels to jedi not Episodes 7-9 because they happened like it not you can't change that...
Your reply is misinformed and misguided. If you are so readily going to diminish the impact of artwork, then you should polish up your reading comprehension and skills of observation.

I said the art in this series diminished the story for me. You seem to be saying that art doesn't impact the story with you; you could have just said that.

I said it impacted it to the point that it becomes forgettable to me. I did not say it doesn't count as 'real.' I did not at any point say Disney SW and the new movies are real versus Crimson Empire or the EU. You added that line of thinking, from where I have no idea.

In my reply that you quoted I said I like nearly all of it and almost feel bad criticizing any of it.
My first reply in this topic states very clearly what I think of the EU and how I have no interest in Disney SW.
My signature line states how I feel about the EU being cast aside.

Perhaps you are not used to or did not expect someone to follow up a comment you made with a critique on the subject. The discussion of pros and cons can be a healthy, educating experience. The expression of a negative in relation to one's own reply does not need to be seen as an attack. Everything does not have to be seen with an us vs. them, me vs. you, mentality.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Personally, I find art in visual media to be very important. I've read stories that weren't great (IMO) just because the art was captivating enough, and there have been a few times where the art turned me off of a story.

I really disliked Dark Empire and I think the art had a lot to do with that. I just didn't like it (much like Cubism doesn't appeal to me). I'm not saying the art was bad, just not my style.

On the other hand, there was a mediocre story in DH, Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina, that I often recollect (over much more engaging stories) primarily because something bout the art resonated with me. It was a story about a pilot that had his hyperdrive damaged so it took him decades to make his journey. He discovered there was a droid "Millie" in storage and she became his heart.

Sometimes I wished certain SW novels would be redone as graphic novels. I'd have read both media. (I understand why they didn't redo work and am glad they had more stories because of it.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your reply is misinformed and misguided. If you are so readily going to diminish the impact of artwork, then you should polish up your reading comprehension and skills of observation.

I said the art in this series diminished the story for me. You seem to be saying that art doesn't impact the story with you; you could have just said that.

I said it impacted it to the point that it becomes forgettable to me. I did not say it doesn't count as 'real.' I did not at any point say Disney SW and the new movies are real versus Crimson Empire or the EU. You added that line of thinking, from where I have no idea.

In my reply that you quoted I said I like nearly all of it and almost feel bad criticizing any of it.
My first reply in this topic states very clearly what I think of the EU and how I have no interest in Disney SW.
My signature line states how I feel about the EU being cast aside.

Perhaps you are not used to or did not expect someone to follow up a comment you made with a critique on the subject. The discussion of pros and cons can be a healthy, educating experience. The expression of a negative in relation to one's own reply does not need to be seen as an attack. Everything does not have to be seen with an us vs. them, me vs. you, mentality.
You tend to take things too seriously dude...I didn't think I had to dumb it down to get a point across but I guess I do...here it goes.

A picture tells the story yes but that picture can be of a painting or off a stick figure but every little detail is not broken down when MOST people read a book or watch a film.."Gee that person had the same pose in two panels!" or "Gee that person ran in the same direction the same time" no one looks that deep there are more important things that catch their eyes like everything else around it that's more important...I've never heard a person complain about "Style points" or "Body movement" in a book or movie I didn't buy the book or watch that film/tv show for "Style Points" like I'm a judge at an Olympic Event....I read the story about the training of the best of the best of the Imperial soldiers and ambitions to make one person to try and ascend to power and break his code of honor for personal gain and other's to defend that honor even though it's tainted but he was programmed and conditioned to do that so that's all he knows....Besides these royal guards would have put up more of a fight against the jedi (they did) than the guards that Snoke had against inexperience jedi/force users

Personally, I find art in visual media like to be very important. I've read stories that weren't great (IMO) just because the art was captivating enough, and there have been a few times where the art turned me off of a story.

I really disliked Dark Empire and I think the art had a lot to do with that. I just didn't like it (much like Cubism doesn't appeal to me). I'm not saying the art was bad, just not my style.

On the other hand, there was a mediocre story in DH, Tales of Mos Eisley Cantina, that I often recollect (over much more engaging stories) primarily because something bout the art resonated with me. It was a story about a pilot that had his hyperdrive damaged so it took him decades to make his journey. He discovered there was a droid "Millie" in storage and she became his heart.

Sometimes I wished certain SW novels would be redone as graphic novels. I'd have read both media. (I understand why they didn't redo work and am glad they had more stories because of it.)
Well I guess I can see past those things and yes Dark Empire I & II the art was atrocious and really not in color but I saw a cool story and those books showing Luke as a bad ***...

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
In theatre there is a style of acting I'll call "tactics" (I don't remember the real term). For each line of dialogue, the actor picks a tactic they want to do to "win" the conversation.

One of the good things about this technique is that actors that use it have a really varied performance. Sometimes when I watch TV or movies, I notice the actor using the same tactic over and over again. It becomes boring, especially when there might be much better tactic to use.

The same goes with art. If a pattern keeps repeating itself it can break the moment and bring me out of the story. Some people might not notice it, but others do. That doesn't make one group stupid or the other too serious. People tend to focus on different things, that's all.

Reaction score
You tend to take things too seriously dude...I didn't think I had to dumb it down to get a point across but I guess I do...here it goes.

A picture tells the story yes but that picture can be of a painting or off a stick figure but every little detail is not broken down when MOST people read a book or watch a film.."Gee that person had the same pose in two panels!" or "Gee that person ran in the same direction the same time" no one looks that deep there are more important things that catch their eyes like everything else around it that's more important...I've never heard a person complain about "Style points" or "Body movement" in a book or movie I didn't buy the book or watch that film/tv show for "Style Points" like I'm a judge at an Olympic Event....I read the story about the training of the best of the best of the Imperial soldiers and ambitions to make one person to try and ascend to power and break his code of honor for personal gain and other's to defend that honor even though it's tainted but he was programmed and conditioned to do that so that's all he knows....Besides these royal guards would have put up more of a fight against the jedi (they did) than the guards that Snoke had against inexperience jedi/force users

Well I guess I can see past those things and yes Dark Empire I & II the art was atrocious and really not in color but I saw a cool story and those books showing Luke as a bad ***...
You are exposing your inexperience in discussion by bringing your personal judgements and applying them to me in a defense, assuming I stated my opinions as applying to you and others. I said my comments were my experience. I never said they should be yours, or that most other people feel the same way I do. Do you not find it interesting and a learning experience to be exposed to views that differ from your own? The expression of a different opinion is not a challenge to defend yours, it is an invitation to express yours in return. It is not an accusation that yours is wrong. There is no judgement involved to decide the 'better' or 'correct' opinion.

You never heard a person complain style points or body movement (your terms). OK, that may be a first for you. But don't say no one observes like that because I do. I don't assume everyone does, you shouldn't assume that no one does. The next time someone says something similar you'll be able to recall you read about someone else who was distracted by the art. That other people may process things differently from the way you do. It is good to know such things.

And again you make a comparison to new Disney SW as if that is a point to make with me, when I have stated I do not follow or support new SW. It is an irrelevant statement because I am not pitting Disney SW against the EU.

I take discussion seriously in the sense that I enjoy it and commit thought and time to it.
You don't need to dumb down your reply, you need to smarten up your understanding. Utinniii seems to understand that patterns or 'tactics' as he put it can stand out and become noticeable, and thus may distract someone from the overall presentation of the entity in question. Maybe it hadn't happened to you before, but instead of feeling attacked by it, you could just as well have said that you hadn't heard such a concept expressed before and that maybe you'd keep an eye out for such things in the future.

I'm not a me vs. you guy. I express opinions and views in response to those of others, or to invite those of others. I don't go looking to fight with those who disagree, or to shoot down someone else's tastes or opinions. Everyone doesn't post that way, though it may tend to seem that way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In theatre there is a style of acting I'll call "tactics" (I don't remember the real term). For each line of dialogue, the actor picks a tactic they want to do to "win" the conversation.

One of the good things about this technique is that actors that use it have a really varied performance. Sometimes when I watch TV or movies, I notice the actor using the same tactic over and over again. It becomes boring, especially when there might be much better tactic to use.

The same goes with art. If a pattern keeps repeating itself it can break the moment and bring me out of the story. Some people might not notice it, but others do. That doesn't make one group stupid or the other too serious. People tend to focus on different things, that's all.
That's the point I was trying to make I don't not like something because of a small detail...If that was the case I wouldn't like anything at all...:grin:

Reaction score
Was never a fan of the eu novels and abandoned most of them about 4 years ago but i did keep my graphic novels and am enjoying shadow of the empire again