what is the most magical/emotional moment you have had collecting?

Reaction score
getting that special item is always fun. what special moments have you had ?
for me anytime i get anything vintage its a childhood dream fulfilled.
however heres my special moment.
when i was a kid i always wanted the star destroyer playset.
after i got it there was something special about finally putting my childhood vader on the bridge
of the sd playset. something that i had always dreamed of doing since i was a young.

Reaction score
My most magical moment would be when I found a DT Vader in an ebay lot. I saw it in the listing, but the pic was small and blurry. I was anxious, wondering if anyone else had seen it, and finally won the whole lot for around $800. I had to sell a "no circles" DT Luke to pay for it, but when I got the lot, it turned out it really was an authentic DT Vader. The best part was after I sold the rest of the figures, I was actually ahead by about $30, so, in essence, I traded a DT Luke for a DT Vader. :)

Now, as for most emotional, it was a few years later, when circumstances forced me to sell that Vader (close second was the carded POTF Yak Face). Most upsetting point I have experienced in my collecting life, as I know I'll never have either one back again. :'(

Ian

Reaction score
I collect Star Wars cast and crew items. The most magical time I have had was while purchasing an ILM C-3PO Oscar award from the person who did VFX editing for ESB, ROTJ, E.T., Poltergeist, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Goonies, etc... I spent the afternoon at his (and his wife's home), hearing stories about the old days of ILM/Lucasfilm and rooting through boxes of old internal photographs and seeing other items saved from those days. It was an experience I'll never forget and we have become friends which is the best part :)

Reaction score
I have a friend that collects vintage, always has from childhood. The one figure that eluded him forever was blue Snaggletooth. He had a birthday party, and we all attended. My buddy Tom, who was not a collector at all, showed up late, apologized, and gave the birthday boy BLUE SNAGGLETOOTH! he went to his mom's tore through his childhood toys and found it, hence his tardiness. Although not my personal victory, I love generosity!

Reaction score
I have 2:

About 3 years ago I walked into a mall that had one of those drop off daycare type places with the idea of letting my kids play for a bit. I saw they had one of those full size Pepsi R2-D2 coolers and just flippantly told the lady there if they were ever interested in selling it to let me know. She immediately said she and her husband ran the place and that they'd sell it for $50. Needless to say I now have that cooler. BUT WAIT there's more. She then says she has a collection of stuff in their back room that they acquired when they cleared out her dad's house.
I go back there... and she has carded figures. Not Star Wars, but Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek (original movie), and Black Hole figures from 1970's 80's. I didn't actually know what all these were worth and neither did she. She said $200... I was pretty sure they were worth more than that, so I gave her almost twice that because she also threw in a box of advertisements and random stuff.
I'm sure I'll never have that sort of experience ever again, but my heart still races thinking about the moment I saw this stuff.

Sold my "Collect All 21" Star Wars Bell Hanger ad from 1970's/80's and my original "empty box" certificate from the first 4 figures. I had acquired the ad with some water damage, but it was still one of the coolest things I had and hated to get rid of it. That and the certificate paid for a trip to Disney with my kids so I didn't cry too much, but I know those are things I'll never have back.

Reaction score
One time I was drinking out of one of the 1970’s Burger Kingglasses at my parent’s house. The glasswas worn and faded from all the years of use and washing. I said that it was too bad that we used thembecause they got all worn and they would look nice on my shelf at my house aspart of my collection. My mother told meto wait a minute and she went to the attic and got a box full of all 4 neverused Star Wars glasses. She told me thatwhen we went to Burger king she got a drink as well and we used the ones that Ihad but she kept hers in the box because she thought that I might want them oneday. They now sit on a shelf below mycarded figures. That was great foresighton her part.

Reaction score
All my special moments came when I was a kid and I was actually flicking through the pegs and I would locate one of them hard to find figures in your area . One day I went to Woolworth’s and I spotted several hard to find figures , original lando , ig88 , ugnaught and darth Vader . I left behind 4 card backs with an attached bubble , a year later I quit shop lifting and never did it again . No excuses but I was very poor and I never had anywhere near the items other people had . Boxed ships was an impossibility minirigs was an outside chance and occasionally I could buy a figure if only I didn’t eat and kept my lunch money which I did often .

Reaction score
My special memory was when my brother and I got the Death star play set as our big gift on Christmas morning. I was 8 years old and he was 4. We played with that thing and our figures so much! Man I wish I could go back to relive that memory!

Reaction score
One of my most magical moments was when I first really got into Star Wars and collecting which was around 1990-91. I was around 11 at the time. I was looking thru one of my dad’s storage trunks(he collects all sorts of stuff from trading cards to coins, etc.). I remember looking thru these trunks in our attic and coming across a ton of awesomeness. One had all sorts of SW packaging he saved including several C-3PO’s cereal boxes, E.T. Reese’s Pieces bags, Topps SW cards and wrappers, and about 20 original SW Kenner cardbacks he saved from figures bought for my brother. I had always played with my brother’s toys and pretty much confiscated his SW stuff went I started collecting. I sat there in awe looking at the cardbacks, seeing figures like the Biker Scout, Leia as Boushh, and others for the first time and being blown away. I instantly fell in love with the original Kenner packaging. I still smile when I think of it. I was hooked forever. I have the cardbacks and my dad still has all of that stuff. I remember for the longest time after that day walking thru Toys R
Us wishing and dreaming about seeing vintage SW toys filling an aisle. I remember feeling sad that I wouldn’t be able to experience that since this was about 5-6 years after vintage SW was gone from shelves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reaction score
i was like 3 or 4 so i barely remember the toys in the store myself. pretty much all i remember is begging for an atat we couldnt afford (it was 20$ and ironicly now days thats the cheapest most star wars toys are)
another somewhat magical moment i remember was in 1994 or so i went into a small store in my home town and they had a lot of 80s toys leftover among them i found a esb yoda :D i also found a gi joe and a few gobots but finding yoda was awesome.

Reaction score
Non Star Wars related... i lived in a small town. Maybe 1,500 people... like one stoplight and a 20 mile drive to the nearest fast food type of small town. One day the local Bargain Store gets this shipment of just tons of GI Joe stuff that must have come from a truck that was in an accident or something because the boxes were all torn up, some of the stuff had pieces loose and scattered about.

I heard about it from a friend and I literally begged my parents to let me get something. I ended up with a couple of jets (the Cobra one and the Joe one), Zartan and his speeder, and a few guys that were already out of the packaging and it was super cheap as the boxes were jacked. As a kid that is about as insane a moment as I can remember. Never would have gotten some of that otherwise.

Reaction score
A few years back I finished my POTF MOC collection ( Last 15) as I'll likely never be able to afford Anakin or Yak MOC, and to this day I'm still enamored with them!

I've said it before and I'll say it again that the POTF MOC kicks butt over any other vintage MOC line- the artwork is awesome and the coins rock! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was 6 when star wars came out, and was all in during ANH and ESB. In 1989, spring break of high school, I had this urge to start collecting. I swear I had still seen items peg warming to that day but wasn't sure. Having my own car, I drove to every department store, TRU, etc, in a 20 mile radius looking for left over Gamorrean Guards, General Madines and B-Wing Pilots. Batted a zero but the collecting bug remained. After that, when I was home for the summer, my best friend who was also a collector and I hit several large flea markets and toy shows around Chicago and really started our collections.

Best moments - An AT-AT for $20 and a 12 inch IG88 for $20.

Reaction score
Finding Yoda at K-Mart shortly after ESB was released. I don't know why this figure sticks in my mind so well. I had the same reaction to finding this figure on an ESB card as I had when I saw the trailer for ESB. I was so excited that there was going to be more to the story! I remember seeing Yoda hanging on the pegs from a down the aisle and sprinting to grab him. I remember ripping him off the card while in the car on the way home and bolting out of the car in the driveway to run across the street to my friends house to play. Not really a "collecting" memory but definitely one that still stands out for me today.

Reaction score
Here's a cool thing that happened to me...My dad had several trips throughout my youth in which he had to go and train for his job. He didn't usually bring me back a present, but I recall one time he brought me back a cool Vader keychain. I thought it was nice, but of course being a kid, I lost it, and I always wondered where I left it. About 3 years ago he died, and I went back home to his funeral. I pulled out a pair of shoes that I hadn't worn in years, and I found the keychain, which had fallen in the shoe. That I would describe as a "magical moment." RIP pops!

Reaction score
Finding Yoda at K-Mart shortly after ESB was released. I don't know why this figure sticks in my mind so well. I had the same reaction to finding this figure on an ESB card as I had when I saw the trailer for ESB. I was so excited that there was going to be more to the story! I remember seeing Yoda hanging on the pegs from a down the aisle and sprinting to grab him. I remember ripping him off the card while in the car on the way home and bolting out of the car in the driveway to run across the street to my friends house to play. Not really a "collecting" memory but definitely one that still stands out for me today.
That Yoda with the orange snake got my full attention as well. Loved that figure.

Reaction score
Wife and I came home from seeing I am Legend at the theater in 07. Pick up the mail and walk in the house. Then wife sees me jumping up and down and generally freaking out. Steve Sansweet had been kind enough to send me an official Lucasfilm Christmas card. It was the one with the caroling Stormies.

Reaction score
Here's a cool thing that happened to me...My dad had several trips throughout my youth in which he had to go and train for his job. He didn't usually bring me back a present, but I recall one time he brought me back a cool Vader keychain. I thought it was nice, but of course being a kid, I lost it, and I always wondered where I left it. About 3 years ago he died, and I went back home to his funeral. I pulled out a pair of shoes that I hadn't worn in years, and I found the keychain, which had fallen in the shoe. That I would describe as a "magical moment." RIP pops!
w
wow thats an awesome story! sort of feels like a last gift from your dad. like he put it where you would find it again :)
i wish i could remember my first time getting my childhood 7 figures. the only memories i have are playing with chief chirpa in the car and losing his staff
( i might have found it afterward but i lost it again forever at some point) looking a ta card back on the way home (im not sure if this was chirpa or another figure)
and most vividly i recall my dad and middle sister going to town while i stayed home and when they came back they brought me chewbacca and endor leia.

Reaction score
As a kid one memory that sticks out the most... Jedi toys were just coming out and walked into the local Kmart to a front full isle of Jedi toys. An amazing sight to see! Rows and rows of figures. Stacks of vehicles. Awesome!

As an adult... About 3 months into collecting, in 1994. At that point the only carded figure I found was a POTF b-wing pilot. $15 bucks at a local flea market. Looking through Lees action figure and toy review I found an add for a toy shop only an hour away from my house! Old tyme toy shop in Fairmount Indiana. My first trip was never matched again. As I walked in the owner had just completed a deal with a lady selling a set of 12backs to help fund her kids college tuition. Me stilling living at home at the age of 19 had a wad of cash so I was looking to buy! He asked me are you a collector or dealer? I chuckled and said collector. I then walked out the door with 5 12backs for $600. All eventually graded 85 years later. I was on top of the world! Never matched that again.

Mike

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that wonderful story! Best thing I have read on this board for some time.

Reaction score
i dont have any feelings but if i had to choose it was opening ben kenobi up when i was a kid

Reaction score
Opening the box containing the VC jawa meccano in 2013. That was a crazy day.

Reaction score
I have two moments. First was when I was in the middle of a many year hiatus from collecting. My wife and I used to check out estate sales on the weekend and one day we were in a house of some kind of antique dealer. I walked right by it but my wife noticed in a corner was a star wars poster. She guarded it while trying to subtlety get my attention. I didn't know too much about poster authentication back then other than make sure the Luke's belt wasn't hairy and this one looked OK but I couldn't see the whole thing because it was matted. Got it for $100 framed took it home and took it out of the frame to discover it was a 30x40 Window box version. Not mint but displays nicely. That started my poster collection and I now have way too many.

Second was the first time I attended a private collector gathering which had some big shots in the community. It was fun finally meeting these people in person after chatting with them or reading their posts for many years.

Reaction score
As others have noted, my memories are mainly related to getting stuff back in the day...

My Dad used to go away to take college courses in the summer and I remember quite vividly him bringing me back the Hoth Ice Planet playset and a carded Darth Vader... like Proust with his petites madeleines, the smell of the plastic of that freshly opened Vader MOC has stuck with me over the years! Smelled like a fresh vinyl shower curtain!

Cheers

d.

Reaction score
As others have noted, my memories are mainly related to getting stuff back in the day...

My Dad used to go away to take college courses in the summer and I remember quite vividly him bringing me back the Hoth Ice Planet playset and a carded Darth Vader... like Proust with his petites madeleines, the smell of the plastic of that freshly opened Vader MOC has stuck with me over the years! Smelled like a fresh vinyl shower curtain!

Cheers

d.
while not starwars related, i to this day still recall the smell of a freshly opened stinkor figure (motu) :p

Reaction score
As a kid one memory that sticks out the most... Jedi toys were just coming out and walked into the local Kmart to a front full isle of Jedi toys. An amazing sight to see! Rows and rows of figures. Stacks of vehicles. Awesome!

As an adult... About 3 months into collecting, in 1994. At that point the only carded figure I found was a POTF b-wing pilot. $15 bucks at a local flea market. Looking through Lees action figure and toy review I found an add for a toy shop only an hour away from my house! Old tyme toy shop in Fairmount Indiana. My first trip was never matched again. As I walked in the owner had just completed a deal with a lady selling a set of 12backs to help fund her kids college tuition. Me stilling living at home at the age of 19 had a wad of cash so I was looking to buy! He asked me are you a collector or dealer? I chuckled and said collector. I then walked out the door with 5 12backs for $600. All eventually graded 85 years later. I was on top of the world! Never matched that again.

Mike
Scoooooooooore!

Reaction score
i wish i could remember what that was like with the vintage stuff. i still remember the late 90s though walking into walmart (my primary hunting ground) and seeing all those greencarded figures and vehicles.
and the purple sote cards and stuff. those were the days...before the dark times. before the mouse empire.

Reaction score
For me, it was when i was 10 visiting the FAO Schwartz in New York (im from Canada) in 1995 and seeing racks and racks of american card-back, long lightsaber poft2 farmboys, bens, vaders, and pilots. They were going for about $25 to $30 each in Canada at the time.

I was trying to communicate the urgency of buying these things to my parents and i was so excited about it i couldnt get the words out straight.

"Guys! Long luke... lightlong luke saber... s#!t... luke skysaber ... long american! $5 for lukesaber skycard"

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Probably the first POTF2 figures hitting shelves in the 90's. The first few weren't great, but I knew what was coming. That was my favorite time for Star Wars collecting.

Reaction score
Probably the first POTF2 figures hitting shelves in the 90's. The first few weren't great, but I knew what was coming. That was my favorite time for Star Wars collecting.
me too. those early years of reading toyfair magazine and hunting down variants and upcoming figures was the best! i still remember the hunt for slave leia (i think anyone from the 90s does)

Reaction score
i wish i could remember what that was like with the vintage stuff. i still remember the late 90s though walking into walmart (my primary hunting ground) and seeing all those greencarded figures and vehicles.
and the purple sote cards and stuff. those were the days...before the dark times. before the mouse empire.
I do not remember ANH/Star Wars, but I was around for ESB. An entire row of nothing but Star Wars stuff! On both sides! I wish I had better photos than just my fuzzy memories . . .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I do not remember ANH/Star Wars, but I was around for ESB. An entire row of nothing but Star Wars stuff! On both sides! I wish I had better photos than just my fuzzy memories . . .
same here. i was born when empire was released by the time i was old enough the last stuff from jedi was no doubt on clearance by then. i dont have any memories other than the ones i shared earlier.
i do remember the b wing commercial on tv once, and wanting one. 30 year gap there but i did finally get one. i also remember watching droids a little on tv but it was probably off tv by then. (cancelled not long after no doubt)

Last edited:
Reaction score
That Yoda with the orange snake got my full attention as well. Loved that figure.
I remember laying on the floor with a phone and a phonebook calling every toy store in Los Angeles trying to find that little, green bugger. Finally found him six miles away. My Mom said "I'm not spending $4 in gas to buy a $3 action figure" but of course she did anyway. :)

He's still one of my favorites!

Reaction score
I remember laying on the floor with a phone and a phonebook calling every toy store in Los Angeles trying to find that little, green bugger. Finally found him six miles away. My Mom said "I'm not spending $4 in gas to buy a $3 action figure" but of course she did anyway. :)

He's still one of my favorites!

Hahahah, sounds like my mom... I wasnt spoiled by any means, but she knew when something was important.

Reaction score
my mom helped me hunt down other toys. i remember having that sort of problem with certain toxic crusader and biker mice toys. as with many toys some figures were harder to find so we would call around various stores and find them