What figures do you refuse to add to your collection?

Reaction score
I know most collectors are completists by nature but are there any figures you just can't get yourself to spend the money on to add to your collection? I've been collecting since 1996 and I still refuse to buy the Bespin guards and the POTF ewoks. I simply have no interest in getting these figures. However, there was a time when I couldn't resist picking up an original Luke if he happened to be minty white so I have multiples of those figures and a few others. Anybody relate?
Wt

Reaction score
Blue Snaggletooth. I never was into variants/errors and the price he commands for a mint version going back even to the 90s was more than I would have paid. Now if Hasbro ever makes a facsimile of one in the retro line for $10-15 bucks I might pick one up.

Reaction score
There are no figures i refuse to buy, only prices i feruse to pay. Han carbonite was one of he last two figures i needed to complete my collection, i don't like the way he looks and he is rather expensive but last month i ran into him for 15 euro without the carbonite block so i bought him and i'm quite pleased to own him. Pop up R2 is the last on the list and if i find him for under 20 euro he'll complete the set, if not i have no problem living without him.

Reaction score
Any ewoks or droids line figures. They were rubbish when they were discounted at .97, and now command crazy prices. They were not part of the original line so my completist ocd is ok without adding those. Once I complete my final 7 potf figures for the set, i will track down the variants and a couple of Jawas. And that's it.

Reaction score
Don't have any I wouldn't buy as I have almost all of them minus half the last 17. Some of my least favorites I wouldn't buy anymore duplicates of would be Anakin, Rancor keeper, Prune Face and Imperial Dignitary.

Reaction score
I refuse to hunt down what I would describe as insignificant variants, where 2 different factories had just slightly different molds, but barely noticeable. I do have some variants, like big and small head Han, blue saber/snap cape Luke and green saber/stitched cape Luke.

Reaction score
Even though there are some figures I don't particularly care for; there are none of the Kenner OT figures I would ever refuse to add to the collection. That being said, I have zero interest in Droids, Ewoks, etc. A complete and total pass every time. I'd only buy them if I found them at some garage sale or the like and would quickly pass them on to collectors who appreciate them in exchange for movie figures I don't have. With the exception of the A-Wing. I'd definitely be happy to add that to my collection.

Reaction score
Probably none of the Kenner line that I'd refuse to own, but certainly one that I'll be adding last: Amanaman.

For three reasons:

- The prices are a bit ridiculous.
- He looks too much like a snake for me.
- All snakes must die.

Reaction score
Bootlegs I would have never touched three years ago so I would name them. I thought they where trashy and disgraceful.
However as education on them has gotten awesome due to some really cool books, great research collectors and forums of course their starting to grow on me!
As there getting super popular I have to admit I see them as the ORIGINAL CUSTOMS!!!!
So I have one Polish bootleg now I got a few months ago, and maybe many more to go?????

Reaction score
As a kid I would collect almost anything, but since I paid for most of my stuff myself, I decided not to collect Bespin & Ewoks (Although I did have some.) Now that the vintage stuff is long gone I find that when collecting the modern stuff I will follow the same patterns.

Also non star wars - I refuse to get anything based on unrealistic later era GI Joe (90s) stuff or repaints that make no sense. I don't need my troops wearing shoot me colors.

Reaction score
I love pretty much all of them with the exception of Uncle Gundy and most of the Ewoks Cartoon line. They just don’t fit in well with the rest of the vintage figures.

Reaction score
I would say probably Jord Dusat from the Droids line and the Duloks from the Ewoks line. Even as a kid, I watched those figures rot on clearance until the 1990s and I never wanted them. Even today, I've still never owned any of them.

That's not to say that I would "refuse" them at this point, but I wouldn't pay a premium price for them because the desire is simply not there.

Reaction score
None that I would refuse to add to my collection. Multiple variants I suppose only because the variant rabbit hole doesn't excite me. I will say that as far as the Droids and Ewoks lines go, I'm not going out of my way to collect them, but I certainly wouldn't refuse them in my collection if the right situation presented itself.

Reaction score
Only one for me...

Kea Moll. Just no. If I ever found one I’d only sell it. I enjoy the cartoon as well as pretty much all the cartoon figures except her. Kenner really sunk the boat on this one.

The original wax sculpt looked pretty decent however

Last edited:
Reaction score
Only one for me...

Kea Moll. Just no. If I ever found one I’d only sell it. I enjoy the cartoon as well as pretty much all the cartoon figures except her. Kenner really sunk the boat on this one.
Ok wow, when you get that close to the face I may have to agree with you. I don't think I can unsee this. hahaha. Kea is officially in my 100 yarder category now.

Reaction score
As a kid I would collect almost anything, but since I paid for most of my stuff myself, I decided not to collect Bespin & Ewoks (Although I did have some.) Now that the vintage stuff is long gone I find that when collecting the modern stuff I will follow the same patterns.

Also non star wars - I refuse to get anything based on unrealistic later era GI Joe (90s) stuff or repaints that make no sense. I don't need my troops wearing shoot me colors.
I still love Alley Viper, despite the orange. I kind of rationalize it as Cobra's SWAT division that wants to be seen walking down the street, kind of an "urban pacification" demoralizer lol

Reaction score
I still love Alley Viper, despite the orange. I kind of rationalize it as Cobra's SWAT division that wants to be seen walking down the street, kind of an "urban pacification" demoralizer lol
As a kid that was one of the last Joes I got, & kind of just made him a punisher style super hero instead of the backstory he was given..

Reaction score
I actually REALLY love the Droids and Ewoks figures. They are some of my favorite pieces in my entire collection. I realize that they don’t fit with the main line’s aesthetics, and are really quite ugly and cheap, but as artifacts of the time (the most classic stretch of my childhood), they hold much nostalgic power for me. I was absolutely fascinated by the cartoons, mainly because they took some of the characters and storylines in new directions. I am obsessed with anything representing Kenner’s later efforts to keep the line alive.

They are also rare enough to command a higher price, which makes hunting them down quite fun for me. If I ever saw one in the wild, even if broken up and expensive, I’d have to buy it.

Reaction score
None as far as the original line goes. I have them all. However I'm not going for Droids or ewoks lines. Never had any interest in these. The shows came out when I got into girls. The figures are very difficult to complete I would rather put that money towards something special like an early bird set.

Reaction score
It's too bad Droids didn't really catch on, but the mid-80's was owned by GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, and all the other competing toylines. I loved the idea of Star Wars continuing as a kid, since I didn't think there would be any more films.

Reaction score
Last 17 figures at current prices that aren't primary characters. On a budget, I can't spring 150 to 350 bucks on a Yakface, ewoks or another Jabba stooge from the skiff battle. If money was no option, I might feel different. Love the Stormy Luke, Endor Luke and Pop-up R2 from this line though. Great figures from crucial characters.

Reaction score
I can see where you're coming from...I never feel happy about buying anything other than my favorites...its almost like a dreary trudge filling in things like sensorscope Artoo (love pop up and solid dome just cant get excited about that one). Picking up hoth han, luke hoth, hoth soldier and commander are kind of blah...but leia hoth, hoth snowtrooper and 21B are fun to look at (so dont think I am just anti hoth) Most jabbas denizens are kind of boring to buy as well imo.

Never went so far as to say I wouldn't buy them, more like I HAD to buy them even though I wasnt super enthralled by them

Reaction score
None as far as the original line goes. I have them all. However I'm not going for Droids or ewoks lines. Never had any interest in these. The shows came out when I got into girls. The figures are very difficult to complete I would rather put that money towards something special like an early bird set.
Because Droids and Ewoks aren’t special at all. We D&E fans have to put up with a lot of hate. Always have. But there are some of us who appreciate Star Wars in all its forms.

Reaction score
I wouldn't refuse to add a figure, I need them to complete my mint loose run.

But I am not looking forward to Yak Face, R2-D2 pop-up, and many of the other last 17, that is for sure!

Reaction score
Because Droids and Ewoks aren’t special at all. We D&E fans have to put up with a lot of hate. Always have. But there are some of us who appreciate Star Wars in all its forms.
I'm honestly surprised that a number of people dislike them, considering that they are indeed vintage Kenner Star Wars, so technically, if you're a completist - a proper Kenner collection will never be complete without them. ;) I like both of the animated lines, but Ewoks remains my favorite because thats what I played with as a kid.

When it comes to refusing to add pieces to my collection, I dont exclude anything per say, but the price of an item is a factor. Just because I could shell out thousands for a certain item, I'll never actually do it. Action figures are a nostalgic slice of my youth, and the hobby of collecting them does bring happiness to many, but I feel I need to impose limits on it. If I were to spend hundreds or thousands on single items, it would feel more like an addiction. I'm all for people spending their money on whatever they please, but for me, I hold to that decision and limit how much I spend, and remind myself that these are, and will always be...toys.

Reaction score
Who said anything about cost? And I don’t need the trite “they’re just toys” newbie sermon.

Certainly, people only should spend what they can afford, and only on what they want to own. No one wants anyone to buy Droids and Ewoks. Just to appreciate them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Who said anything about cost? And I don’t need the trite “they’re just toys” newbie sermon.

Certainly, people only should spend what they can afford, and only on what they want to own. No one wants anyone to buy Droids and Ewoks. Just to appreciate them.
darth_sidious didn't mention anything about sentimentality, but someone did note the "I got into girls" trope that I can relate to (in the context of age in 1985), but would've worded more like "the childhood part of my toy-collecting ended" ...so that plays a part...

Cost also plays a part... it does, simply because I'm so "on the fence" with this...

but I can't deny the urge to get them into my collection because of their vintage feel (as darth_sidious DID note)... what is another deciding factor directly related to the positive aspect of their vintage feel/vintage optics/vintage legitimacy, is the unfortunate incompatibility of the stylized "animation" look that others have noted separates them from the rest of the line (except for Fett and the A-Wing Pilot figure).

The modern 6 inch Black Series figures deliberately avoids this deterrent by sculpting their animated characters in a more live-action way. I'd have preferred the Droids & Ewoks done that way, but you can't rewrite history :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't have any issues with droids or ewoks, love the R2, but that is something to do later on, I guess.

Reaction score
At this time I'm not after the Droids or Ewoks lines. When I finish my regular loose run, then yes, I think the desire to add them will be greater. I like the Droids line over the Ewoks line and may pursue those first. To me, in this hobby of collecting toys, nothing is safe from being collected. In a bag of figures I picked up at Goodwill the other day there were 90s Spiderman, 90s Batman, aaaaand a Princess Jasmine from Aladdin that was made in '92. Guess what? I'm keeping Jasmine also. hahaha. Like I said, nothing is safe so long as it's vintage.

Reaction score

Only the first paragraph was a reply to your quote. This is another instance where you flew off the handles when I was agreeing with you, lol. My second paragraph was discussing MY feelings as to how I limit MY collection.

Reaction score
Same as a lot of people. Some of the last 17 and beyond. Never saw them as a kid. Got them as a adult, didn't like them, sold them. At least 8 of the 17 are almost like a different toy line to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same as a lot of people. Some of the last 17 and beyond. Never saw them as a kid. Got them as a adult, didn't like them, sold them. At least 8 of the 17 are almost like a different toy line to me.
Just out of curiosity; which eight of the last seventeen felt like a different toy line to you; and why did they?

Reaction score
Ah, I'm not the only one. I know when I finish my main set (almost there), I'll probably cave and start hunting them down, but I have zero nostalgia for them, aside from Anakin and one of the Ewoks. I actually didn't know for the longest time that they even existed, and I'm not sure why. When I was a kid, I had pretty much everything, figure-wise (I can count on unhand how many of the pre-last 17 I didn't have) and a fair amount of vehicles. I can't imagine I lost interest at the young age, especially with such a collection... Maybe they weren't well distributed? I have no clue.

Anakin is on my "must get" list, however, as I got him as a railway, so he fits into my "vintage" canon.

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity; which eight of the last seventeen felt like a different toy line to you; and why did they?
I had to look at a picture when i typed that to remember. A bunch if reasons. Yak face, couldn't place him in the movie for the longest time; Amanaman, same; barada, imperial gunner, luke storm trooper, Lando (there's only one Lando in my mind as a child), the tall brown robot. Their sulpt style maybe? R2, there's already two others.

They came along when I was into GI Joe and buying those so I didn't know the last wave was a thing until the early 90's.

Some are cool, like the in-scale carbonite. Not sure why I think the Awing pilot and Anakin fit in. And I distinctly remember a neighborhood kid having all the later ewoks so I always wanted them. Luke's lightsaber makes me want to keep him around.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ah, I'm not the only one...Maybe they weren't well distributed? I have no clue.

Anakin is on my "must get" list, however, as I got him as a railway, so he fits into my "vintage" canon.

Were you into other toys? SW took a back seat to GI Joe for me later on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The POTF Last 17 will always be amongst the most collectible as they were the last of the vintage lines. The card artwork and coins just adds to their desirability.

Reaction score
Never thought of it like this but Amanaman DEFINITELY didnt look Star Wars to me. I always kind of hated picking up Barada, Amanaman, and dignitary. Spending that much money on figures that weren't that cool to me was kind of a [vacuuming] part of the collection. Most of the rest were plenty cool enough to keep me engaged. Rancor Keeper and some other Jabbas Palace [vacuumed] as well but not as bad bcuz they were cheap AF

Reaction score
I never realized how few ROTJ vehicles I had, as well. Had pretty much every ANH and TESB vehicle and playset except the sandcrawler and one or two mini-rigs, but by the time Jedi hit, I was starting to get into Joe, He-Man, and the LJN D&D line, so I had to stretch my "please buy me" list out. Fortress of Fangs and GI Joe WHALE and HQ replaced Ewoks and B-Wings. Still had quite a few of the ROTJ figures but I think the speeder bike might have been the only vehicle I got from the line.

For some reason I really wanted the Forest Ranger mini-rig but never got it. I loved the mini-rigs, and that one had a very movie-like quality to it.