What do people think of re-carding?

Reaction score
Is it like repro weapons? Or not? I am thinking of getting loose stuff done up on my favorite cardback variations if I can find an affordable source.

Reaction score
If you are recarding them on custom made cards that never existed in the vintage Kenner line, then I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.

I personally don't have a problem with recarding figures on exact replicas of the vintage cards and bubbles, but that's because I've been collecting this line for decades now and can usually spot a fake from a mile away.

Oddly enough, I really hate repro weapons, though.

Reaction score
If you are recarding them on custom made cards that never existed in the vintage Kenner line, then I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it.
Ideally I am looking for ROTJ cards that are accurate on the front, and blank on the back, or correct on the back with a watermark or something that says "Copy" and the year.

Reaction score
There are those that would slam the idea period and those that give exceptions

I like the art side of it but repro parts are flat out dangerous to new buyers

I am now experiencing this with Indiana Jones toys . There’s not really a place the the imperial gunnery for me to reference and I have to count on the people in my Facebook group . And yes I have purchased a couple of repro pieces I had to send back with their help .

Reaction score
The repro parts in many ways have made me lose any interest in even trying to have accurate parts. In 10 years time 3-D printing could get us into a real scary world for repros.

For 3.75” anyways. For Micro Collection nothing is too good!

Reaction score
sooner or later repros will be indistinguishable from originals. we are close now.... and with the reliability of the slabbers in question, the hobby of loose collecting is going to take an extreme hit.

Reaction score
The same materials are a problem for sure for repro

grading will be the only way now In my opinion to help with this

Dax

Reaction score
In regard to repro cards let me touch on two separate aspects.

1. Custom cards: characters that were never produced, or artwork that was never used, all are pretty acceptable in the hobby so no real issues here.
2. Repro cards: the primary concern here, just like repro weapons, is about deception and misidentification causing harm. So if it is easily identifiable from a reasonable distance as not being genuine then no real problems. So having the back be blank and the text "Repro" on it would be reasonably good but an identifying mark on the front would be even better.

Best option really would be buying genuine cardbacks and using the top loader reunification method to display card and figure together without any risk of the two being permanently fixed together or of deception occurring.

WP_20150214_11_32_49_Pro.jpgWP_20150214_11_53_24_Pro.jpgWP_20150214_11_57_17_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
I'm all for it. I've done a couple and really like the results. Like someone said, up close they are easy to identify as such. My two motivations are 1. I do not have the funds to buy real ones and 2. I mainly just want to recard the original figures I had as a kid. Im really surprised with how good of condition they are and feel like they deserve to be presented in a really nice way. I'm a non-opener so packaged/carded is my motif. My intent to recard is purely for my own display and would never try to pass one off as anything other than what it is.

Attachments

Reaction score
The same materials are a problem for sure for repro

grading will be the only way now In my opinion to help with this
Not when there has been a history of AFA letting repro weapons slip through and be graded with figures. If they can't tell the difference now, just think about the problems later.

Reaction score
I bought an IG-88 with the original card back from a collectibles store on Saturday. The seller did not attach the top loader/bubble, which I'm glad he didn't do (he used plastic to keep in place). I thought it looked pretty good and something I could display for myself. I paid $65 which included the protector case, which fits into my budget. I have a very small collection of vintage carded figures, which I have been collecting on and off since 2015.

. IMG_2705.jpgIMG_2706.jpg

Reaction score
Taking a loose figure and putting it on a reproduction card with a reproduction bubble is make a reproduction, no matter what fancy name you want to give it.

If you are buying recards it’s pretty much a safe bet that it also a fake weapon.

They are trash.

True customs, and by that I mean unique works of art (again, don’t call a repro a custom) that are instantly distinguishable from the original can he OK. But most are poorly done and not much thought is put into them. Examples of clever customs are a lot of Matt Brookins’ work (including his mini boxes he’s doing now) and the Droids run by Bill Cable. Those two guys’ work you see and say “these guys would have been at Kenner 40 years ago”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
My main thought is that if a vintage figure has already been freed from its blister carded prison, why would you want to imprison it again? I think loose vintage figures a better enjoyed loose than recarded on custom or repro cards. But that's just my opinion. I'm in no position to tell others what they should or shouldn't collect.

Reaction score
I personally grew up with Star Wars toys since the mid-point of the ESB cardback days. But I also have seen what can happen to those figures when they are both loose and not properly protected when displayed. Which is the reason why I am for things like acrylic cases, etc.

As for re-carding... Lets just say that Toy Toni has ruined that for me. But if it is done where the card can be differentiated from the original, then I will not oppose the idea. (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
To draw an analogy, it's bit like vehicle restoration. The crime isn't in repairing, fixing, or restoring something; it's in try to pass if off as something it's not, and failing to ensure that something can't be passed off as original condition when it's not.

Reaction score
The cards from Beggars Canyon clearly state on the back they are a reproduction.

Surprisingly, (most of)my original figures were in amazing shape. I see recarding them as a tribute to them. Some of my fondest memories were looking at the rows and rows of carded figures at the store. I usually only got to pick one of them so seeing them carded is something special to me. That "if only I had a time machine" notion....