What did John Berg do?

Reaction score
What exactly did Berg do? What costumes is he credited with wearing?

Reaction score
from wookieepedia

"Although uncredited, he is known to have played Momaw Nadon, the "Hammerhead"; and also one of the arguing Duros. He is also supposed to play one of the Cantina Band members, particularly Tech Mo'r, the Ommni Box player; however, this last role is unconfirmed and even today a polemic question among experts. Anyhow, this would be the first and only time Berg has had an acting job. "

Reaction score
He was also an ILM'er. I can't remember off the top of my head what exactly he did, but I know he worked behind the scenes.

Reaction score
Jon Berg worked on the stop motion animation of the holographic creatures seen on the Millenium Falcon's chess board. I think he worked alongside Phil Tippett.

James

Reaction score
Jon is also the individual most responsible for the incredibly photo realistic Imperial Walkers in Empire. He engineered the things to the highest precision so they could be filmed in stop motion and look realistic.

Reaction score
I've seen Berg and Tippett on Hammerhead shots, so which one was it?

Reaction score
In Jon's own words, his work included: " I have to figure out the proper names but Hammerhead for sure, the chess game figures, the walkers, space slug and Phil’s blue headed cantina guys (I’m the one in the white jumpsuit). "

Reaction score
Ahh, forgot he did the Spaceslug. Looks like I'll be getting a new OP pic!
grin.gif

Reaction score
He also told me that he worked with Phil on the Taun Taun stop-motion stuff, so that can be added as well.

Reaction score
Ben any chance of getting that Hammehead shot of Corey's added to the store?

Reaction score
jedibill said:
What exactly did Berg do? What costumes is he credited with wearing?

captsithpark said:
This text is taken from an e-mail sent by Jon Berg , THX fett930!

fett930 said:
Thanks for your interest in my work on the Star Wars films. Old Hammerhead seems to be a favorite of a lot of people.
Yes, Phil operated part of the Hammerhead, that's him in one of the masks seated next to the character while I was underneath with other controls.

The stuff Phil and I were involved with for the sequence was mostly new material that Phil, Doug Beswick, Laine Liska, Rob Bottin, (the latter two uncredited) and I made at a small shop that Rick Baker rented near the original ILM.
We worked from sketches by a fine artist you may know of named Ron Cobb.

As for: No, I'm out of frame and out of sight. The hairy character on the left is, I believe, one of a number of masks Rick had already made and contributed so George would have more characters with which to work. Phil is the hooded character between two masks that I seem to recall were the work of Rob Bottin that he also contributed from his previously done work.
Laine is, to my knowledge, not often mentioned, but he made and wore the big furry grey costume with I think, four eyes and a little snout. Laine passed away some time ago and deserves to be remembered!

I remember when we were preparing the masks for the cantina shoot, George wanted petroleum jelly around the eyes. As I started to apply some, George asked if he could do it; it looked like fun to him. I gave him an applicator and let him go. I realized later, that given everything he was dealing with at the time, (to get the picture finished), doing something so simple must have been a relief for him.
The Duros are the guys with big green heads, yes? (I am NOT really familiar with the names that were eventually attached to the characters we made.) If so, Phil made the masks and he and I wore them. I made Hammerhead; Phil and I operated the character.

Though the creation of the Walkers for ESB was my primary responsibility on the picture; (working closely with Tom St. Amand, Doug Beswick and of course, Phil from Joe Johnston’s wonderful concept art), I was involved, in one way or another, with putting together a rig on which Phil made the Wampa close-up head, the space slug and to a minor degree, the Tauntaun.

I left ILM shortly after we finished ESB to get married and take a ten month honeymoon around the world. When I returned, because of health problems I encountered on the trip, I was only able to act as a consultant to Phil on the making of the characters for the opening Jabba sequence on ROJ. I may have done a small amount of model work on ROTS. I really don’t recall.
I hope that answers your questions and 2011 has and will continue to be a good year for you!

Kind regards,
Jon

The above post #4484901 can be found here (Scroll 3 quarters of the way down the pg.)