What can Hasbro do to further improve the Black Series 6"?

GNT

Reaction score
The first wave has brought us some top notch figures and this line will continue to grow in the years a head but is there anything Hasbro could do to improve the Black Series 6" line even more going forward? Like more extra hands or heads with figures, more weapons or more figures in a wave?

What would you do to improve the line, if anything at all?

Reaction score
I think the way they treated accessories with R2 is the way to go. Give us as many as possible so we don't need to buy 3 or 4 similar figures. For example, you only need one return of the Jedi Luke. Just give us all the available accessories in one go. R2 is pretty much covered for all 6 films after wave 1. I think you could do the same with Yoda.

I like the case breakdown of roughly 1 PT character and 3 OT characters per wave. I'd love more PT characters but as long as we get an average of 1 per wave I'm happy. They probably should put more of the army builders in though. So wave 1 should have been 2X Sandtroopers, 1X Luke, 1X Maul and 1X R2.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what else I'd like to see them do. So far so good and let's hope it continues. 16-20 figures a year is about right I think.

Reaction score
I guess 3 sandtroopers, and X1 for the rest would have been doable too. I would like better internation support, and I hope number of accessories doesnt start to dwindle. Im fine with 16 figs per year, but that would not include exclusives and so on.

Reaction score
I would like to see a 50/50 split between PT and OT in each wave. I might really find my interest level dropping off if Hasbro decided to start doing realistic TCW characters, and EU figures from the comics/games. But it might happen, especially if this line really takes off. Truth is, my current wishlist consists mainly of PT characters, so we'll see how the wave ratios pan out over the next couple of years. And it won't surprise me to start seeing a heavy representation of E7 characters once that movie hits theaters in 2015 or 2016.

Reaction score
I have to say that I love the first wave of figures. They’re not perfect but still look really amazing and I’m so happy that Hasbro finally decided to produce 6” Star Wars figures.

What they could do better? Well, first of all Hasbro should pay slightly more attention to the scale of the figures compared to each other. Of the first wave Luke and the Sandtrooper seem to match perfectly (in the ROTJ scene were Luke surrenders to the Empire you can see him and two Stormies next to each other in the lift on Endor, and it shows the height difference between them), but R2-D2 is just a bit too small (though not as much some people claim), and Darth Maul is too tall (Ray Park is only 1.75m, so he should be around the same height as Luke Skywalker).
Judging by the pictures from the SDCC wave 2 Greedo looks a bit too tall as well (he is definitely shorter than Han Solo in ANH).

So far I love the accessories Hasbro included with the figures. I also agree with Darth_Martus that (similar to wave 1 Darth Maul) some of the future figures could come with interchangeable accessories so you can create different versions.
For instance:
- ROTJ Luke with removable tunic to switch from Jabba’s Palace version to the Death Star II one
- TESB Luke Skywalker including an additional ‘beaten up’ head to recreate THE most famous scene from the original trilogy (we haven’t seen anything like that at the SDCC but maybe it’s still a possibility).

I would love to have 5 figures per wave, 3 OT and 2 PT, and about 4 waves a year. Hasbro could get more of the kids on board as well by releasing more of the PT main characters and troopers. I would love to see an AOTC Clone Trooper, Count Dooku, General Grievous, Mace Windu, Qui Gon Jinn and TPM Obi Wan.

Reaction score
I
- ROTJ Luke with removable tunic to switch from Jabba’s Palace version to the Death Star II one

And removable gloved hand. Let's be sure to be thorough. But yes. I agree with everything else you said in that post.

The 3:2 ratio is something I could get behind too. I don't think PT characters peg warm as much as some people like to think. The (overproduced) TPM wave has clouded a lot of people's judgement I think. Understandable, even for those of us who like that film/those figures, it resulted in some frustrating times for all figure collectors.

Reaction score
You know whats funny. The PT is a product of its time. Nowadays in the age of instagram filters, the vintage look and so on; they could be re-cut to look like the old one did in the 70s, with matte painted backgrounds, ppl in rubber suits and so on. It would make it more palatable. The meh-iness of most characters in the PT was never the main reason i disliked those movies. The fact that they looked like cartoons most of the time was.

Reaction score
The 3:2 ratio is something I could get behind too. I don't think PT characters peg warm as much as some people like to think. The (overproduced) TPM wave has clouded a lot of people's judgement I think. Understandable, even for those of us who like that film/those figures, it resulted in some frustrating times for all figure collectors.

Granted. I like Hasbro's decision to concentrate more on the OT in the 6" line, while adding a few PT characters to the mix. But by now I guess they've learned quite a lesson about what they can release and in which quantities.
Also, in another thread I stated that I want to buy every single figure that will be released in this line, although I would definetely pass on anything like Jar Jar Binks, TPM Anakin or Watto ;)

Reaction score
You know whats funny. The PT is a product of its time. Nowadays in the age of instagram filters, the vintage look and so on; they could be re-cut to look like the old one did in the 70s, with matte painted backgrounds, ppl in rubber suits and so on. It would make it more palatable. The meh-iness of most characters in the PT was never the main reason i disliked those movies. The fact that they looked like cartoons most of the time was.

35005801.jpg

Reaction score
I like the prequels too, but I'd rather see the important OT stuff is done first. Then mix in the important PT with the less important OT.

Reaction score
1. Focus on the nostalgiac "Kenner First 21"

The #1 thing I would like Hasbro to do is to NOT do that. I want more variety and not just constant rehashing of the past. I grew up with the Kenner line, I got my first Star Wars toys at the age of 5 in 1978; but that was 1978 when there was only one movie to choose from. This is 2013 and there are 6 movies (along with TV shows, video games, novels, comic books, etc.) to choose from.

I don't have any problems with them making those "first 21" figures, but don't focus on them at the exclusion of everything else.

Other than that, I would like Hasbro to put some renewed efforts into applying high-quality paint apps on these figure, because it's much harder to find acceptable paint apps than it should be. Especially at $20 each. Heck, I would be fine with paying up to $25 per figure if it meant that we got "perfectly" applied paint apps every single time. I put "perfectly" in quotes, because we all know that it can never be 100% perfect, but the quality control on these figures should NOT be as bad as it is.

Reaction score
You know whats funny. The PT is a product of its time.[...]

I saw the PT as an adult, and I think at the time I had decided to just accept it for what it was. The only memory I have of negative reactions were...the portrayal of child Anakin, the horrible stilted dialogue in the Anakin and Padme love story, some of the more cartoonish aliens and obvious CG for explosions and other effects. Everything else more or less got a pass or was at least easily overlooked.

I really liked a couple of sequences in the films. It's just that they didn't age well at all; once you get over the shock and awe of seeing Star Wars on the big screen again, there's not a lot there (for me) to be engaged by.

As for improving BS6...more army builders per case is a good idea. Closer attention to scale and proportion, tighter quality control, but I think these are a pretty decent product already for the price point.

Reaction score
I think we should get all the OT characters first, and then all the PT characters. You know, keep it chronological. ;-)

Reaction score
They need to work on painting these better. The sculpts are pretty good, but if a figure has wonky eyes, or strange hair highlights the overall figure isn't going to look very good.

Reaction score
Better quality control for sure maybe move the assortment up to 6 with 2 trooper builders per case with a 75% OT 25% Pt ratio per assortment. Other then bad Q.C. here and there I love the first wave I'm up to 6 Sandtrooper's 5 opened 1 boxed I've made up my mind to get 5 more to open then I have 2 of each of the rest with SDCC Boba on the way :grin: Thank God the StormTrooper wave is after Christmas i'm planning on going all out nut's troop building those guy's. I'd also Like to see more vehicle's other then speeder bike maybe a snow speeder or Luke's speeder or haha a B.A.M.Fing atst o-o and bigger figure's like Jabba etc.

Reaction score
I'd love to see some pics of all these horrible paint jobs people are finding. I've yet to see anything that would have prevented me from buying them happily.

Reaction score
3 easy fixes/improvements:

I would like them to use harder plastic when appropriate. I think the plastic (PVC?) on the Sandtrooper was a tad on the soft side. It's what they've been using on the 3.75 scale for years but at the 6" size I like some more sturdiness. How awesome will a future IG-88 or General Grievous look at 6 inches? How disappointing will it be if they flop over with wobbly legs? At this scale, the weight of the figure demands more rigidity, maybe ABS?

Maybe they can hide the joint pins better too. I wonder how they are able to make all swivel pins completely hidden at the 3.75 scale but not at the 6" scale.

The paint or tampo app on the early 6" Slave Leia's face is terrible. At least the early sample pics look that way. Let's hope the actual product is better. Bad paint jobs are a deal breaker. It's very hard to get past a sloppy crossed eyed face and appreciate the great sculpt behind it. The hierarchy is; eyes, then head, body, and legs. The solution, crack that whip in the Quality Control department.

1. Use quality (rigid) plastic
2. Hide joint pins
3. Keep paint QC tight

Reaction score
I'd love to see some pics of all these horrible paint jobs people are finding. I've yet to see anything that would have prevented me from buying them happily.

It always seems to be the same people finding the bad paint jobs, switched limbs etc.

Sucks to be them...

Reaction score

Same here. I stop now to look for bad paint apps but have yet to see one.

I'm pretty happy with this line so I don't have much to say in terms off improvement. I would like to see a toe joint be added.

Reaction score
Im not one of those anal people that are always going OCD about some slop here and there (the Luke figure was very good, for eg), but the sandtrooper - and i own four of them - is rather mehy paintwise, especially the black undersuit underneath the armour. Generally speaking, paint apps on these are weaker than they are on say Masters of the Universe Classics (which to be fair are also a bit more expensive). But as I said, the paint apps while not THAT bad, are certainly worse than other lines I collect.

Reaction score
Make sure to put as MANY extras in the box. Like some holiday when we open a package we want that extra lil stash of goodies. Hasbro should hide some lil stash of weapons behind the black n orange insert on these figures. or some lil poster just something, You know we are paying $20 bucks a pop for these.. But they are really worth it we get a bigger pallet to detail......

Reaction score
In addition to accessories, I'd also like to see a stand. Yes, they balance easier/better than the 3.75 figures, they'll still fall over if you knock your desk.

Reaction score
In addition to accessories, I'd also like to see a stand. Yes, they balance easier/better than the 3.75 figures, they'll still fall over if you knock your desk.

I would too. Or at the least an official one or officially recommended one available somewhere.

Reaction score
Peg holes that are the same size would certainly help as far as stands go. But yeah, I'd absolutely love stands like we got back in the Legacy Collection days. No environmental type stands please. Just give me a plain black rectangle with the figure's name on front, and make them wider than the figure so that they can be neatly lined up on the shelf. Maybe even make them interlocking.

Reaction score
Paint apps. I have seen so many terrible paint jobs on R2-D2 and Maul. I am not that picky, I'm really not, but of the 20 plus figures ive seen of both of them, ive seen 2 i'd buy(and did) and even they had minor problems

Reaction score
Paint apps. I have seen so many terrible paint jobs on R2-D2 and Maul. I am not that picky, I'm really not, but of the 20 plus figures ive seen of both of them, ive seen 2 i'd buy(and did) and even they had minor problems

I'm calling BS on that. Unless you live on the island of misfit toys, there is no way 90% had terrible paint jobs.

Reaction score

You must be picky or have a real delusional expectation of what a $20 mass market action figure should look like if you only found 2 out of 20 acceptable.

Reaction score
Please don't release all the characters. I have way too many 3 3/4 inch and I will be homeless buying the 6 inch line.....................what am I thinking? :wtf: Keep at it Hasbro... ;)

Reaction score
I'd just like them to hide the pins and get rid of the double knee and elbow joints.
I think I prefer the knee and elbow articulation of the 3 3/4 figures better.

Reaction score
Agree on the pins, but disagree on the double joints. Those allow a much greater range of motion, which increases pose possibilities.

Reaction score
Agree on the pins, but disagree on the double joints. Those allow a much greater range of motion, which increases pose possibilities.
I second this. The double joints don't detract from anything but add more realistic articulation. I see no reason not to make them.

Reaction score
*More interchangeable heads
*More Accesories
*please don't shorten the length between waves, the one we have is fine.
* Realistic CW/EU characters.
*No stupid chain rope thing on the DV figure when it comes out.

Thats all I have for now.

Reaction score
More EU characters, **** what JTA says. Sorry not sorry for that opinion there. I'm the customer I throw all my money into this line I want the characters I want xD
Mara Jade I would love a Mara Jade 6'' since she was in 3 3/4''
Dash Rendar, I love a Scoundrel
Revan… Come on now, who doesn't want him?
There are so many LEGENDARY Sith that they could produce and I would spend ALL my hard earned cash on em. I don't understand JTA telling hasbro not to make these for guys like us who most likely have read and played a ton of EU stuff. As Hasbro has said themselves many times, this line isn't for casuals xD
Sorry that's just my rant, I've hated this EU is noncanon nonsense since i heard about it. It was another reason I stopped spending any money on SW for a while.

Reaction score
I don't understand JTA telling hasbro not to make these

JTA as in Jedi Temple Archives? Do you really believe a fan website has that much influence on what Hasbro makes? It was Lucasfilm who declared EU "off limits" for Hasbro for the foreseeable future. Since Lucasfilm owns the property and Hasbro has to pay them for the priviledge of making Star Wars action figures, then Hasbro pretty much has to do whatever Lucasfilm says.

Reaction score
Yeah I got it confused in my angered state since I had read it on the JTA site. I just find it ridiculous that they refuse to make EU toys for collectors who grew up with EU. I'm sure Lucas made money off of all the licensing for EU but after he cashed in he just killed it like a pregnant mistress. It just upsets me that he bit the hand that literally helped fed him :/