what are your favorite star wars books?

Reaction score
i have a lot of the old novels but theres a few i enjoyed more than others.
some of my favorites are
the thrawn trilogy
tales of the bounty hunters
tales from mos eisley cantina
tales from jabbas palace.
i also like the x wing novels the jedi search trilogy and
the movie novelizations
as a side note attack of the clones had the best novelization.
the reason i say this is there is a lot cut from the movie that when you read it you realized the movie suffered for it.
esp the jango fett and his son storyline and shmi had a really good story too
i honestly wish there was a 2 disc 4 hour cut of episode 2 that ad all the stuff from the novel in it :p

Reaction score
If you want something more recent I'd recommend Scoundrels. It's a quick read and is a fun "Ocean's 11" type story.

I like the recommendations I've seen, but I'd certainly add that the trilogy around Revenge of the Sith was very good also. Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith novelization, and Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader... sometimes called the Dark Lord Trilogy.

The Republic Commando series (Hard Target, True Colors, Triple Zero, Order 66, and Imperial Commando: 501st) are great if you like Mando and Clone stuff. Some unfulfilled story lines though as the last of the books was not finished.

If there is a particular part of Star Wars you like, there's a novel for you.

I loved the X-Wing novels and some of the one off stories like Death Star and Outbound Flight.

Reaction score
I haven't read a whole lot past the Thrawn Trilogy...TBH, I thought most of the books I did read were pretty lame. Tales of the Bounty Hunters really did it for me...the IG-88 story was just retarded and I stopped buying any of the books after that.

All of the other books just got so silly. I mean, every single patron in the Cantina is either a Rebel spy or an Imperial spy...same with Jabba's palace? IG-88 is the second Death Star? Even the Thrawn trilogy was kind of lame with the Clone Emperor "Paalpatine" and clone "Luuke"....what the hell? The books have given us some great characters and actually influenced the films and contributed a lot of things but those contributions are overshadowed by a whole lot of silliness.

That said, my favorite Star Wars books are the Brian Daley Han Solo trilogy. He did it right by having them be just straight up Hand and Chewie adventures, not tied to the film saga story line at all, other than it's Han and Chewie...and the Millennium Falcon off in another part of space doing their thing. One can assume that they take place before the events of ANH, but I don't even think that is directly addressed.

Reaction score
agreed ig88 was the dumbest eu story ever. there was no clone emperor in the thrawn trilogy. i think your thinking of joruus cbaoth though i hated the clone empror comic and never considered it canon even back then.
i never read the han solo trilogy but i do have the lando adventures and that was more or less the same. straight up lando doing his thing.
i believe the han solo adventures are before a new hope. the jedi academy trilogy is good since it was before anderson started obsessing over the death star..though he does still shoehorn another one in.
also the early xwing novels (not wraith squadron i skipped those) are good. the cantina does have its weird moments like turning greedos body into a soft drink.
a few storys managed to avoid having every one be a spy but still quite a few did. the moisture farmer tale wasnt related to the rebellion just empire oppression and the empire messing up peace with the sand people.
the night lily tale wasnt a spy story either just some h*rny gotal that got black widowed. jabas palace this is where things got on my nerves.
i learned that ree yees has a great uncle named swee beeps though :p i mean so many storys crossed that you would see the same scenes over and over from a differnt perspective that i got sick of them.
the only books i really didnt like were crystal star (which is better than o remembered it last reading) planet of twilight( which was worse than i remembered) and my most hated star wars book of all time dark tide onslaught.
that is literally the equivalent of an anime filler episode.

Reaction score
Have you read the Millennium Falcon novel? I don't know if it's nostalgia fog or what, but it's a pretty good book. It details like the history of the Falcon, and it's about Han, Leia and their kids going on a family trip to learn about it.

Reaction score
i dont have that one as its one of the last ones released id like to check it out though. once i get done with game of thrones im going to go back to the slog of the vong invasion.
so far that in itself is nothing like they made it sound.

Reaction score
agreed ig88 was the dumbest eu story ever. there was no clone emperor in the thrawn trilogy. i think your thinking of joruus cbaoth though i hated the clone empror comic and never considered it canon even back then.
i never read the han solo trilogy but i do have the lando adventures and that was more or less the same. straight up lando doing his thing.
i believe the han solo adventures are before a new hope. the jedi academy trilogy is good since it was before anderson started obsessing over the death star..though he does still shoehorn another one in.
also the early xwing novels (not wraith squadron i skipped those) are good. the cantina does have its weird moments like turning greedos body into a soft drink.
a few storys managed to avoid having every one be a spy but still quite a few did. the moisture farmer tale wasnt related to the rebellion just empire oppression and the empire messing up peace with the sand people.
the night lily tale wasnt a spy story either just some h*rny gotal that got black widowed. jabas palace this is where things got on my nerves.
i learned that ree yees has a great uncle named swee beeps though :p i mean so many storys crossed that you would see the same scenes over and over from a differnt perspective that i got sick of them.
the only books i really didnt like were crystal star (which is better than o remembered it last reading) planet of twilight( which was worse than i remembered) and my most hated star wars book of all time dark tide onslaught.
that is literally the equivalent of an anime filler episode.
Yeah, you're right. I think I was getting confused with the Dark Empire comics. I think my brother always joked about how Palpatine in that series should have been have been called "Paalpatine" because of the naming convention used in the Thrawn books for the clones of Luke and Jorus...adding the extra vowel.

Reaction score
*Love the Thrawn Trilogy - really the direction I wanted the new movies to go in, but oh well
*Splinter of the Mind's Eye - I like the angle this one is written from. Foster only had ANH to go on and the story of Star Wars was still new and finding it's way. We got to see Leia flying a Y-wing, the Yazeem (who inspired the Wampa in ESB), Leia battling Vader saber style, as well as Luke taking an arm off Vader. Cool stuff. Seem's amateurish now with how developed the saga is, but at the time it was mind blowing.
*Shadows of the Empire - The filler story between ESB and ROTJ was a must and Xizor was a fantastic villain. Worthy of its own film any day

Reaction score
unfortunately as much as i want to read splinter again, i now know those yuzzem are the same thing as that singing coc*roach in jedi special edition ill just be in pain.
i might buy it sometime though. when i read it before it was at the library.
shadows is great im more familiar with the game but i have read it before.
my copy got damaged but a bug or something that went through my books and ate parts. i have been meaning to get a replacement i just havent had time yet.
i never heard about the wampa being inspired by yuzzem.
also since this post was started i have bought and started the han solo adventures.
stars end: good lord it was boring.
han solos revenge so far pretty good.
the store sent me the crappy legends edition though.
pablo hidalgo took a dump on the eu and directly insulted mara jade saying the females in this book were better.
well when i run out of toilet paper ill just use his foreword.
unless she shows up and does more later, jessa was a garbage throw away character that han had to save damsel style.
daley might have done it first but zahn did it better. its taking all my restraint to not go tweet him my thoughts.

Reaction score
My favorite novels I still read and enjoy

Original trilogy paperback collection. I need to get a newer copy since my old one is worn out that the cover is about to come off

Shadows of the Empire
Bloodline by Claudia Gray
Darth Bane Trilogy
Red Harvest
Outbound Flight
Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader
Lords of the Sith
Kenobi
Tarkin
The 1990s Han Solo trilogy origin books
Corascaunt Nights series including the fourth book Last Jedi
Scoundrels
Razors Edge whatever it's called
Truce at Bakura
Courtship of Princess Leia
The X Wing novels
Jedi Academy Trilogy
I, Jedi
Crystal Star
Spector of the Past books aka Fake Thrawn books
New Jedi Order
Fate of the Jedi
Crucible

Reaction score
My old paperback of the original trilogy I bought that way back when the mall had a B Dalton bookstore in late 1989 or early 1990s.

Paperback is still in decent shape but front cover is about to come off though. Guess sometime I do need to get a newer one

Reaction score
unfortunately as much as i want to read splinter again, i now know those yuzzem are the same thing as that singing coc*roach in jedi special edition ill just be in pain.
i might buy it sometime though. when i read it before it was at the library.
shadows is great im more familiar with the game but i have read it before.
my copy got damaged but a bug or something that went through my books and ate parts. i have been meaning to get a replacement i just havent had time yet.
i never heard about the wampa being inspired by yuzzem.
also since this post was started i have bought and started the han solo adventures.
stars end: good lord it was boring.
han solos revenge so far pretty good.
the store sent me the crappy legends edition though.
pablo hidalgo took a dump on the eu and directly insulted mara jade saying the females in this book were better.
well when i run out of toilet paper ill just use his foreword.
unless she shows up and does more later, jessa was a garbage throw away character that han had to save damsel style.
daley might have done it first but zahn did it better. its taking all my restraint to not go tweet him my thoughts.

I actually picked up a first edition Splinter from a local used book store for $3.00. Good find. Check out the wookiepedia page on wampas, that's where I got the yuzzem influence from. I've got the solo adventures, never read it, but it's my next in line. Should be getting to it within the next month. If you liked the game you'd like the SOTE book. Not as much focused on Dash as I would have liked, but take's all the other characters into a lot more depth than the game did which was awesome.

Utinniii

Reaction score
Yuzzum and Yuzzem are different species. SOTME is SE free! Rejoice!!

Reaction score
Yuzzum and Yuzzem are different species. SOTME is SE free! Rejoice!!
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuzzem
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye_2
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuzzum/Legends

Even if you think the descriptions sound the same, they don't look the same. As far as the names being similar, this is probably Lucas borrowing from SotME into RotJ, as he'd had lots of names for people and places that were in various versions of ideas, and got reused in canon productions.

Reaction score
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuzzem
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye_2
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuzzum/Legends

Even if you think the descriptions sound the same, they don't look the same. As far as the names being similar, this is probably Lucas borrowing from SotME into RotJ, as he'd had lots of names for people and places that were in various versions of ideas, and got reused in canon productions.
speaking of george borrowing....im convinced he read the han solo adventures and took what the liked when he made empire and jedi.
the sideways maneuver from empire (asteroid field)
knocking the sensor dish off
speeder bikes
and probably some other things i forgot about all appear in the solo adventures which according to the foreword slapped in by disney says that the author only had a new hope to work with when he wrote it

Reaction score
rather than start a new thread i just going to go into it here.
i finally finished the han solo adventures last night.
now if you like it thats cool but please dont be (as much as possible) offended while i tear this book apart.
i thnk that scathing "dump on the eu as much as i can" foreword by pablo hildalgo really soured the book for me.
i usually dont bother with those things but sometimes there are books with good forewords.
anyhow he directly insulted mara jade by name saying how much greater these women were in these storys.
well f*** you pablo.
lets go over our female leads shall we?
jessa: likeable but useless damsel with almost no time at all.
fiolla of lord: two faced b**h with a little charm but still annoying
hasti troujow:if ever there was a character i wanted to throw down a black hole at the end of time
after blasting her out a lifepod in hyperspace its this c**t. all she does is b**h and gripe and be an a**hole the entire book.
i will give pablo this he said jessa and fiolla were better not her so im hoping he hates her too.
so with all that out of the way lets tackle the books.
all three storys were boring i didnt care about any of it.
the first and third storys were probably the best ones even though the third had hasti.
gallandro hada lot of potential but he pas pretty much boba fett/phasma.
final verdict i d rather watch solo. i havent seen it yet but it sounds better than this garbage.
its debatable whether this or darktide 2 onslaught is worse.
onslaught was boring but it had mara jade and anakin and characters i cared about even if it was like a dragon ball z filler episode.
this im just glad its over.
again i apologize if this is someones favorite book i do hate that having to tear it apart like this because i was expecting so much more.

Reaction score

The Republic Commando series (Hard Target, True Colors, Triple Zero, Order 66, and Imperial Commando: 501st) are great if you like Mando and Clone stuff. Some unfulfilled story lines though as the last of the books was not finished.

If there is a particular part of Star Wars you like, there's a novel for you.
Yeap....agree with this....Lucas team say KT:"eeyyyy, hold your horses!" 😡

Reaction score
one day i plan on hunting up the republic commando books they sound interesting.
and i have to eat my hat now.
as much as i gripe about disney they have some decent books.
i loved smugglers run it really captured the essence of han and chewie and had a great villian in alecia beck.
weapon of a jedi was weird and a little boring but stil not bad.
im not done with moving target yet but so far its really good as well.