What are your favorite Hasbro's 12" figures all these years later?

Reaction score
Great White Shark capitol of the United States
So here we are in September of 2017 and my collection is being rotated for the fall/ winter season. Out come my 12" figures from the 90's- mid 00's. I often overlook this part of my collection but it's good to reacquaint with these gems. Mine are loose and complete and are displayed with 12" figure stands on glass shelving with lighting and WOW, do they look great. Below is a list of a few of my favorites in my collection. Will add pictures this weekend. What are the 12" Hasbro's figures that you like best after 2 decades in some cases?

My (current) favorites:
5. Scout Trooper
4. OOM-9
3. Emperor
2. R2-A6
1. Garindan ( I prefer him to nearly all of my sideshow figures as well). One of Hasbro's Crown Jewels

Honorable Mention:
5. Count Dooku
4. Ki Adi Mundi
3. Tusken Raider
2. IG-88
1. Zuckess

Reaction score
Re-posting an edited version of something I posted several years ago on this board:

I remember buying 12" Obi-wan, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader in August/September 1996 and being glad that I could even find them. Out of these first four, the Obi-wan was the best - great likeness of Alec Guiness, and the robe/hood were spot-on. The Han Solo was a close second, and after that Luke and Vader (neither of which were that great). However, I was so glad these figures were out I was willing to overlook any flaws.

Flash-forward to early '97 - The Lando Calrissian, Sandperson, & Luke Bespin all came out. All were nice figures, especially the Lando, which was a great likeness with a very impressive cloth (silk-like) cape. And, it was great to have a 12" Sandperson - this was a figure I never in my wildest dreams ever thought would be produced in this format.

In Summer '97 the 12" ANH Leia (very nice figure), Stormtrooper, & Boba Fett (too small head) were released.

The C3-PO, Admiral Ackbar, & Tie-Fighter Pilot released later in '97 were also stellar figures.

However, the high point of '97 for these figures were the Exclusives, which hit in late Summer/early Fall of that year. I was actually able to track most of them down at retail stores (all with great difficulty, of course - and, in some cases I didn't find them until they were re-released a year later in '98). The Wampa/Hoth Luke (Target), Greedo (Sears), Sandtrooper (Diamond), Luke/Han Stormtrooper (Kay-Bee), Bib Fortuna/Luke Jedi (FAO Schwarz), Grand Moff Tarkin/DS Gunner (FAO Schwarz), AT-AT Driver (Service Merchandise), 6 Cantina Band members (Wal-Mart), & of course the superb Han Solo/Tauntaun (TRU) were all great, and would probably never have been released at all if they hadn't been exclusives.

In '98, we had some great figures as well, including Yoda, R2-D2, R5-D4 (an excellent figure). And, the Emperor looked fantastic - great sculpt/mold.

And, though there didn't seem to be as many exclusives this year, what did come out was phenomenal, including the superb Han Solo w/Carbonite Block, the Emperor/Emperor's Royal Guard 2-pack (both Target), the excellent Princess Leia in Hoth Oufit - IMHO one of the best 12" Princess Leia's ever (Service Merchandise), and the Wedge/Biggs X-wing fighter pilot two-pack (FAO Schwarz). I still regret not getting more than 1 of the E/ERG two-pack.

Also in '98 were the 12" Electronic DV /removable helmet, which was the best 12" Vader up to that point. Great detail, and the helmet/robes were spot-on. Also that year was the 12" Electronic Boba Fett (Kay-Bee Exclusive), which was another excellent figure. Both of these toys featured lines from the films.

And, some of the figures that came out as exclusives in '97 were released en masse in '98 - these included: Grand Moff Tarkin, AT-AT Driver, Han Hoth, & Luke Hoth. Though the packaging and details on the figure were slightly different, they were basically the same figures that had been released before.

In '99 the 12" figures, like the rest of the SW toys, were primarily devoted to Episode 1. Among others, I liked the 12" Qui-gon & of course the 12" Darth Maul (which was very tough to find).

In late '99 they came out with the 12" Han Solo Endor, Slave Leia, & non-flocked Chewbacca. All of these figures were just alright, but the non-flocked Chewie did look better than the flocked version that had come out earlier.

2000 was an interesting year - they came out with a combination of EP1 and OT toys, including a Mace Windu (w/blue lightsaber?!), Sebulba, & a TRU Exclusive Patrol Dewback/Sandtrooper.

Also in Fall 2000, the Speeder Bike w/Scout Trooper (Target Exclusive) came out. I never saw this at all, even though I searched for it everywhere. To this day I wish I had been able to find this toy, since, based on the pictures I've seen, it's one of the best sets in the line.

Circa 2001 there was a Captain Tarpals/Kaadu Target exclusive that looked fantastic - this is another toy that I would never have expected would be made in this scale.

From around 2000-2005, we got the rest of the Bounty Hunters (IG-88, Dengar, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, & Bossk), all of which looked excellent - I liked how the IG-88 was able to become taller. Also during this time the 12" Garindan (Tattoine spy) & DS Droid were released - two other figures that were a surprise to me in this scale, but looked great. And, there was also a Superb Luke Skywalker Endor/Speeder-Bike released around 2001 - though not as cool as the Scout-trooper/Speeder-bike combo., this was still an amazing toy.

Reaction score
Wow thanks for that breakdown!!! I am nearly 45 years old and can remember purchasing a 12" storm trooper in 78-79 time frame. Still love it to this day and your descriptive post brought me back to the thrilling 90's 12" resurgence. I own the biker scout with speeder and it is still awesome. Many of the exclusives I no longer own. Tarpans is awesome. It it takes up a tremendous amount of shelf space, as a result the kaadu was traded away some years ago. It was a unique set. Thanks for posting

Reaction score
Don either of you own the B1 Battle Droid? It's one of my favorite designs in SW and have admired the 12 inch figure before.

Reaction score
Mine would have to be the 100th 12" figure Luke Skywalker. Simply because we probably won't get stuff like that again, at least from Hasbro. TBH, my 12" collection is one of my most treasured albeit some effort particularly obtaining the various exclusives over the timespan.

Reaction score
I would agree indubitably!!!!!!! It would appear that most collectors favor the new 6" line (including me- they have awesome offerings between SH figuarts,Hasbro's, Mafex etc) and of course the basic action figure line and accompanying vehicles and accessories but there is still a small-ish group among us who adore these. They strike a great balance between collectible and toy, which is not the case with my sideshow/ hot toy figures. My hope for the future of collecting is (in part) for these 12" Hasbro's figures to continue to be appreciated.

Been having fun with displaying these on my shelves lately a few others of note are:
-Imperial Commander with grey tunic and more posable body
-Skiff Guard Lando
-Watto (great sculpt)
- OTC boba fett...... which reminds me

looking to buy or trade for the OTC boba fett with blue suit!!!!

Reaction score
Shaak Ti and Barriss Offee were two of the best 12" figures Hasbro ever produced, right at the end of the line.

I also still like my Jango and VOTC Boba Fett, even though Ive since replaced them with Sideshows.

Reaction score
Shaak Ti and Barriss Offee were two of the best 12" figures Hasbro ever produced, right at the end of the line.
Agreed. I remember when these first came out circa May 2005, I found both at an out-of-the-way Wal-mart. Initially, these were HTF.

These are also the last Hasbro 12" figures I remember coming out. It was really the end of an era. IIRC, Sideshow got the license for 12" SW figures in 2006 (the following year). I collected the Sideshow 12" figures to some extent from around 2008 - 2011, but never get that heavily into them. They were too pricey (even when they were less than $100 each), and as time went on the I essentially got priced out of this line - way too expensive for me.

I'm glad that there are less expensive 12" SW figure alternatives other than Sideshow/Hot Toys these days. However, it would be nice to see the 1996 - 2005 Hasbro 12" line make a come-back re: reasonably priced 12" SW figures with cloth goods, good detail, etc.

Reaction score
I agree with you ThallJoben. I love my expensive museum quality 12" figures (the very few I own anyway) but they are a completely type of collectible, not a cherished toy. Hasbro's was really hitting their stride with the line and then they surrendered it. The upgraded base bodies were awesome and the outfits were made of quality materials. The Count Dooku could ALMOST pass for a much more expensive piece. His cape(except for those two gromits) is superb. Which brings to mind the facial sculpts were also excellent. I still prefer the Hasbro's Jedi belts to the all-too- fragile sideshow Jedi belts. And with some paint and weathering application they can be very convincing

To this day the Garindan figure is still my favorite 12" in my entire 12" collection, my kids still adore the 12" figures and they are all in their teens!

Reaction score
I agree with you ThallJoben. I love my expensive museum quality 12" figures (the very few I own anyway) but they are a completely type of collectible, not a cherished toy. Hasbro's was really hitting their stride with the line and then they surrendered it. The upgraded base bodies were awesome and the outfits were made of quality materials. The Count Dooku could ALMOST pass for a much more expensive piece. His cape(except for those two gromits) is superb. Which brings to mind the facial sculpts were also excellent. I still prefer the Hasbro's Jedi belts to the all-too- fragile sideshow Jedi belts. And with some paint and weathering application they can be very convincing

To this day the Garindan figure is still my favorite 12" in my entire 12" collection, my kids still adore the 12" figures and they are all in their teens!
Agree 200%. The 12" Sideshow figures I have are nice, especially ones that wouldn't have been possible in the Hasbro line, i.e. the excellent 12" Momaw Nadon (Hammerhead).

However, the prices of these Sideshow/Hot Toys figures are ASTRONOMICAL these days. When I stopped collecting these in 2011, the average price of a Sideshow 12" was slightly over $100. Now, the average price is $200 each - and that's on the low end. The Hot Toy figures are roughly $400-$500+. These are way too much money for what you're getting. Screw that.

Conversely, Hasbro 12" figures were roughly $20 - $25 retail for the life of the line. And, many of them looked fantastic.

Agree that 12" Garindan (Hasbro) is an amazing figure - surprised that they made a toy of such an obscure character, but that's what was cool about this line - you never knew what you were getting! Hasbro did a great job with the aliens/robots, even more than the humans. Other notable Hasbro 12" aliens/droids are Gammorean Guard (2003 ay bee Exclusive), Jawa (1998 version), R5-D4 (great weathering!), TC-14 (Episode 1), Bossk (excellent likeness), 4-LOM, Zuckuss, Boba Fett (1998 Kay bee exclusive), Admiral Ackbar, and some others.

Reaction score
One of the holes in my collection has been filled today. eBay searches can be rewarding if I remain patient. My 12" Plo Koon arrived today. Auction stated that he was loose and showed a picture of a loose figure. He arrived in a mint opened box, only thing missing was the things that secure him to the backer. Very happy to add this figure to my collection.

Plo is awesome- with the upgraded poseable body style so he can achieve a wide range of poses. I think I have a new top 5 figure! Will post some images of my collection to share soon.

Reaction score
I have the 12" bounty hunters from Hasbro and the 12" Cantina Band proudly displayed in my case next to my desk. To me they are just as good as any Sideshow figure and among the favorite things I own. I have all the Sideshow Alien Jedi that I still haven't put together on a shelf because I'm torn about keeping the Sideshow stuff since it's so expensive now. As soon as I take it out of the box it will be worth about half what it is now. If I knew I could get them loose I'd sell the boxed ones in a heartbeat. I've looked at them next to Bariss and Shaak Ti a few times and there's little difference to me.

I have a hard time enjoying things that are too expensive... it just eats at me that I could take a nice vacation and make some fun memories with my family or have a really nice Hot Toys Chewbacca. :(

I agree that once the Sideshow stuff got to be over $100 and then Hot Toys in the $3-400 range I just completely lost interest.

Reaction score
Agree completely that the Sideshow/Hot Toys 12" SW line is prohibitively expensive - it's a real turn off, despite the fact that the figures look so great. I refuse to pay these prices, which is why I completely stopped collected these higher-end figures completely in early 2011. I've seen the new 12" Hot Toys?! Chewbacca figure (flocked) and it looks amazing, but no way am I paying $400-$500 for this (or whatever it is they're asking).

IMHO, much of the price for the Sideshow 12" figures goes towards the elaborate packaging with the magnets, etc.

Conversely, I remember in the late 1990's I read an article that Hasbro removed the cardboard "flap" on the figures with the character description) so they wouldn't have to raise the $20 retail price.

It's obvious that the 12" Hasbro figure line from 1996-2005 is proof that a company can produce high-quality 12" SW figures for reasonable prices. Sure, not all of the figures looked perfect (especially the human figures) but a lot of them were fantastic. I agree the Bounty Hunters (from ESB) and the Cantina band figures were superb.

I have gotten a handful of the more recent relatively inexpensive Disney/Hasbro 12" & 18" TFA & Rouge One toys, but they aren't as close to being as detailed/articulated as the earlier 12" Hasbro versions.

Reaction score
I still have the Masterpiece series Aurra Sing which came with a neat book that, among other stuff, detailed her creation. This was released in 2000 I believe, so Aurra wasn't yet the household name she's now thanks to numerous appearances in comics and TCW. Her head's kinda big and the arms are rather scrawny, but all in all she looks great next to Sideshow figures of characters she interacted with.

I hope the Forces of Destiny line will expand beyond the usual Leia, Rey etc. and give us more obscure SW females. I know Ahsoka is getting a really good looking figure, but would be thrilled if they'd make PT/CW female Jedi, Oola, Rose & Paige etc.

And Hera and Ketsu Onyo are absolute musts after their appearance in the FoD cartoon.

Reaction score
I took that aura sing figure and customized her with an articulated female 1/6 scale body. Repainted her head and body and she looks like an expensive figure. I will post some images one of these days
Also love that Aurra Sing. The whole Masterpiece Collection is great. I thought the Sebastian Shaw Anakin was excellent.
Another favorite of mine is Zam Wessel. She is one I put on a more articulated body (a Lord of the rings 12" I think (clearance fodder)) and just cut off the glove/gauntlets and made a new tight fitting purple shirt, as her arms were molded purple. Everything else is from the Hasbro 12" and it looks amazing.

Reaction score
The Aurra Sing 12" Masterpiece figure was an amazing toy; really liked the sculpt, the packaging, and the nice book that came with this. I remember finding this on sale for around $20 @ the now-defunct Border's books & Music circa 2002/2003. Yes, the head is oversized & the arms are scrawny, but the character still looks a lot like the character in the film. It is definitely one of my favorite 12" figures.

Reaction score
i sold most of the ones i had as far as 12 inch.
i still have the electronic darth vader with removable helmet and shaak ti from rots.
i suppose one of those is my favorite. its hard to say because i am a huge shaak ti fan but the talking vader is so cool!
what kind of batteries does vader take?
id have to take his costume off to get to the battery compartment and from experience i know that that can be a pain with the 12 figures.
i used to own 12 inch versions of lando (blue) luke (i forget if it was x wing, bespin or both) han and leia(ceremony) and a non eletronic vader. (it was all the first wave of potf 12 inch fiures i had i remember)

Reaction score
I never bought any 12 inch figures until this year, when I picked up the ESB Yoda which came out this month in the 12 inch TLJ line. Its probably the best likeness of OT Yoda I've ever seen on an action figure. I was tempted to pick up Shaak Ti during the ROTS line, as that was my previous favorite when it comes to 12 inch, but I stuck with 3.75, this Yoda however made me a fan of the larger scale, and I had to buy him!

Reaction score
HASBRO really had the 1/6 scale Yoda likeness nailed over the years. I own all of the 12" HASBRO yoda figures that were made between '96 and '04 and the AOTC Yoda with the council chair, light saber, lightening is a fantastic display piece. Also the Luke and Yoda 2 pack is another great set. The shampoo bottle 12" line from the past 2 years is a far far cry from the 1/6 scale HASBRO golden days but I agree with you, the Yoda with snake is an exception.

Reaction score
HASBRO really had the 1/6 scale Yoda likeness nailed over the years. I own all of the 12" HASBRO yoda figures that were made between '96 and '04 and the AOTC Yoda with the council chair, light saber, lightening is a fantastic display piece. Also the Luke and Yoda 2 pack is another great set. The shampoo bottle 12" line from the past 2 years is a far far cry from the 1/6 scale HASBRO golden days but I agree with you, the Yoda with snake is an exception.
The 1/6 scale Yoda that came out in 1998 is fairly decent as well. IIRC, this was the first 1/6 scale Yoda made (since there was never one in the Vintage line).

Reaction score
The 1/6 scale Yoda that came out in 1998 is fairly decent as well. IIRC, this was the first 1/6 scale Yoda made (since there was never one in the Vintage line).
On a whim, picked up the new hero series Yoda at Tru on sale for 7.99. for that couldn't pass up. It's really nice and the likeness is great. And pretty hefty. Still love the Kenner 12" though, time was perfect, but I am looking the snake accessory on this one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Years ago on another site, I posted an entire thread devoted to voting for the best of the best of these figures. This brought back some memories, as I still have all of my old 12" figures put away, including most of the exclusives. As far as my favorites go, based on likeness & overall quality, here are my top 5:

1. Count Dooku
2. Obi-Wan Kenobi (ANH, the first version)
3. Hoth Han Solo w/ Tauntaun
4. Zuckuss
5. Darth Maul
Hon. Mention: Lando (Bespin)

And the Razzie for the worst figures of the line:
1. Chewbacca (stuffed animal/coat hanger version, with and w/o the chain)
2. Chewbacca, treebeard version
3. Luke Skywalker, ANH (with pink hair and lips)
4. Padme Amidala (AOTC)

Reaction score
And the Razzie for the worst figures of the line:
1. Chewbacca (stuffed animal/coat hanger version, with and w/o the chain)
2. Chewbacca, treebeard version
3. Luke Skywalker, ANH (with pink hair and lips)
4. Padme Amidala (AOTC)
Good points. The Chewbacca plastic "Treebeard" version (great description, BTW) is one of the worst SW figures of all time, hands-down. It actually looks somewhat like "Mr. Hanky", from the Southpark cartoon - LOL. I actually got this back in the day, but felt it was a waste of room so did unload it a while back.

Never bought the later version of ANH LS (with pink hair) or the AOTC Padme - both were horrible, though.

I did get the 1997/1998 flocked Chewie & have kept this. Unusual "figure". From an action figure standpoint, I agree this looks sub-par. However, if you're looking at this as a stuffed animal "doll", then it looks about like what you would expect. I know that, at the time, Hasbro was intending this to look better, but they couldn't pull this off too well.

For some reason, Chewie has always been hard to depict in the action figure format - a lot of this is the fur & the fact that if the figure is made purely with plastic, the fur will need to "fall" just right for it to look decent. And, making this with flocked 'fur' is next to impossible.

That being said, there is a relatively recent Hot Toys?!/Sideshow ANH flocked?! Chewie that looks halfway decent, but it's in the $400?! range. Too rich for my blood.

Reaction score
To add to my last post (no edit button), I do regret never finding the excellent 12" Lando Skiff, the Ewok 2-pack, and the individually packaged Biker Scout. IIRC, these came out in the same wave & were at the tail end of this line (2004/2005), so may not have been produced in high numbers like the previous waves.

Reaction score
I forgot about my 12" Han Solo and Luke Skywalker on Tauntauns. They are not displayed currently, but the Tauntauns are really cool looking. I also have the Gamorrean Guard and Adm Ackbar. Both are decent likenesses and are fun fav characters.

Reaction score
I never bought any 12 inch figures until this year, when I picked up the ESB Yoda which came out this month in the 12 inch TLJ line. Its probably the best likeness of OT Yoda I've ever seen on an action figure. I was tempted to pick up Shaak Ti during the ROTS line, as that was my previous favorite when it comes to 12 inch, but I stuck with 3.75, this Yoda however made me a fan of the larger scale, and I had to buy him!
This is a cool looking figure, and is one I will probably pick up - but only if I see this @ retail. The sculpt is decent, and I like the snake that comes with this - nice touch.

Reaction score
They've been showing up at TRU, and have been included in some of the recent sales, so you might be able to score one for only $7.99. At the $8-10 price range, anyone will be hard pressed to find a Yoda with a better likeness. To me, the sculpt far exceeds the "decent" range, especially considering its a toy, and not a Sideshow statue or something. For Yoda centric fans, its an absolute must have - it feels like one of those jumbo remakes of a Kenner figure, but with a modern sculpt. The price also cant be beat - those jumbo Kenner remakes are hundreds of dollars - and you can get this figure for pocket change - its hard not to praise Hasbro for this release.

Reaction score
They've been showing up at TRU, and have been included in some of the recent sales, so you might be able to score one for only $7.99. At the $8-10 price range, anyone will be hard pressed to find a Yoda with a better likeness. To me, the sculpt far exceeds the "decent" range, especially considering its a toy, and not a Sideshow statue or something. For Yoda centric fans, its an absolute must have - it feels like one of those jumbo remakes of a Kenner figure, but with a modern sculpt. The price also cant be beat - those jumbo Kenner remakes are hundreds of dollars - and you can get this figure for pocket change - its hard not to praise Hasbro for this release.
Another plus for this figure... It is hefty.
Just for fun, I weighed it on a kitchen scale. It is 8.2 oz, while the Jedi Luke Hero Series is 6.5oz, and the FO Trooper is 6.8oz. So I am impressed it is not a hollow feeling cheap-o toy!

Reaction score
Jawa 2-pack and Ewok 2-pack are two of the best.

One character that gets no love that I wish they did in 12 inch - Nien Numb.

Reaction score
One character that gets no love that I wish they did in 12 inch - Nien Numb.
Agreed! The Hasbro 12" Admiral Ackbar that came out circa 1998-ish is great. However, it's too bad that Nien Numb was never released in this scale. Great character, and it would have been nice to have seen a ROTJ version of this in the 1996 - 2005 line.

Since Nien Numb was in TFA (haven't seen TLJ yet), it would be interesting to see if either Hasbro releases the figure in the 12" scale; they have some decent 12" figures out there these days, even if they're not as elaborate as the earlier ones (with cloth goods). That being said, I don't collect Sideshow/Hot Toys anymore so I hope they don't pick up the character - those prices are too rich for my blood.

Reaction score
Dengar. I like how they made his suit. And I picked him up off Amazon a few years ago for $10.

The Modal Nodes are pretty cool once you've got them all and set up. If I could make them animatronic I would.

Ponda Baba is decent too.

Any of the X-Wing pilots are great to have. If you don't like Hasbro's body they work fairly well on military figure bodies like Hot Toys or Dragon.

I've been seeing the TFA 12" 5POA figures with vehicles on Amazon for $5-10 lately too. You could get a TFA speederbike or that mini walker from TCW in 1:6 scale for $10. That's a really good deal. :{J

Reaction score
Dengar. I like how they made his suit. And I picked him up off Amazon a few years ago for $10.

The Modal Nodes are pretty cool once you've got them all and set up. If I could make them animatronic I would.

Ponda Baba is decent too.

Any of the X-Wing pilots are great to have. If you don't like Hasbro's body they work fairly well on military figure bodies like Hot Toys or Dragon.
Dengar is a fantastic 12" figure. They really made him battle-damaged. Well-done, Hasbro.

The 6-7?! Modal Nodes are superb as well. I remember it was tough to find these @ Wal-mart, since - though they were sold separately - once collectors found them they bought the entire set.

I agree Ponda Baba is a great 12" figure as well. Though, when I looked at mine several years ago the jacket had started to fall apart - I guess the material this was made out of wasn't meant to last.