What are you reading now? V.3

Reaction score
Recently although im being a bit slow at it, the only book im currently reading is The Ceremonies by Ted Klein. an old 1980s horror novel .

Besides that, Im also planning on re-reading Corascant Nights book 1 or at least start reading the new Thrawn novel before getting into Thrawn Alliances

Reaction score
Tonight Im reading issues 50, 51, 52 and 53 of the old 1980s Marvel Comics Star Wars.

Crimson Forever was interesting for a virus but it got cured way too easily

Reaction score
Im reading the Poe Dameron #26 and I love how this ties in a lot of stuff.

Reaction score
Im currently reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein book 1 Prodigal Son.

the other book I was reading, The Ceremonies its good but its an old book thats a slow to read through

Reaction score
Read the graphic novelization for the Thrawn novel. It was good, I like anything with GA Thrawn, but it's one of 'those' where it assumes you've read the book first. Much like a lot of movie adaptations.

Reaction score
Darth Maul Lockdown is reallly good since it goes well with the Plageus novel. Even the other older Maul book fits in too

Reaction score
Picked up these books I used to own when Dark Horse (FAR Superior to Marvel-not the original '70s-'80s Marvel which I love and own all the comics from but the newest offerings) did Star Wars. It was obvious Dark Horse were huge fans of the Star Wars universe George created so I used to love their comics and these books are an expression of that love IMO.

These Panel to Panel books are awesome and after my ebay bucks got these for a whopping $5 shipped
:) !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im re-reading the Mist Encounter sneak preview which is the original version of the new Thrawn novel.

In Mist Encounter, Parck him talking to Thrawn its a bit different than what goes on in the now newer Thrawn novel. Long before Eli is created for the new Thrawn novels

Reaction score
Claudia Gray’s “ Master and Apprentice “ arrives tomorrow from Amazon !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ive been reading Rogue One Rebel Rising and finished it earlier today. Pretty good book.

Now I'm going to re-read Lords of the Sith before reading Coruscant Nights book II and I just might re-read the old New Hope novel before reading Battlefront II Inferno Squad onward to Razor's Edge

Reaction score
I recently picked up the new comics TIE Fighter 1 and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. Of the two, I liked Galaxy's Edge better, but may stick with TIE Fighter because it ties (heh!) into the upcoming novel Alphabet Squadron.

I also picked up a couple issues of the current Star Wars ongoing series, but haven't cracked those open yet.

Reaction score
Currently re-reading the "Republic Commando" series, interspersed with "Monty Python Speaks!"

Reaction score
This month of May i am reading Stephen King and Owen King's Sleeping Beauties. Pretty good book. More of a fairy tale version of Under the Dome. Only without an invisible dome and aliens covering the town with the invisible dome

Reaction score
I recently picked up the new comics TIE Fighter 1 and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. Of the two, I liked Galaxy's Edge better, but may stick with TIE Fighter because it ties (heh!) into the upcoming novel Alphabet Squadron.

I also picked up a couple issues of the current Star Wars ongoing series, but haven't cracked those open yet.
Galaxy's Edge was pretty good, plus I absolutely loved that they created a comic and cross-marketed with the Disney theme park. That's awesome.. finally seeing some potential of what the comics can actually offer.

Reaction score
Im re-reading A New Hope from my old worn out paperback of Star Wars original trilogy. Rereading it before reading Battlefront II Inferno Squad.

also planning on reading either Wheel of Time Eye of the World or Mistborn Trilogy for the rest of May and for June

Reaction score
This past week finished "Master & Apprentice" by Claudia Gray and "Dooku: Jedi Lost" (audio drama) by Cavan Scott.

With the 20th anniversary of TPM at hand, these were a nice, nostalgic stroll down Prequel memory lane. Post Disney reboot after they blew-up the existing EU, not much is out there regarding this pre-TPM period of time. And even that older material didn't have A LOT in regards to the motivations, the why & how Dooku made his Dark Side turn. (Exception, I'm looking at the underrated "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.")

"D:Jedi Lost" bounces back and forth between 2 main time periods; 1) following his rise through the Jedi order and 2) a prequel-era story-line where Dooku sends Asajj Ventress (who's really the main protagonist here) on a special mission. I won't get into any plot points or details, but will say that this story doesn't end seguing into the AOTC-version of Dooku. Which makes me think we could get more installments if this audio drama-only version turns out to be profitable for the House of Mouse.

The voice acting is solid except for 1 HUGE glaring, baffling choice: The actor chosen to voice adult Dooku does not remotely sound like C. Lee. It's quite evident they didn't even try. Clearly a conscious choice they made for the character, but the dissonance of it never was resolved through what I was hearing. I knew this character was called "Dooku" and referred to that name all the time. But whenever the voice actor spoke as the character of Dooku, I had to keep reminding myself this is supposed to be Chris Lee talking. It just doesn't work. (Think--bigger difference in voice/tone/inflection than Clive Revill and Ian McDiarmid.) All the other characters have voice actors that imitate the other character voices we've come to know, like Yoda, QGJ, Ventress, etc., but for some ridiculous reason, they don't do it for the character this whole freakin' thing is about??!! Frankly, that poor producing/directing decision really hurts the whole project, IMO, and I have no choice but to drop it a 0.5 point because of it. 3/5 stars.

"M&A" isn't really a sequel to "D: Jedi Lost", but in some ways it feels like a companion piece. This one mainly focuses on the relationship/partnership between QGJ & OWK. But there are flashbacks and references to many characters that are shared between both stories. Clearly, the Disney Lucasfilm Holocron Keepers were overseeing that both these offerings compliment, not contradict each other. The new character who appears in both is named Rael Averross. Feels like part amalgamation of a less-serious Quinlan Voss (renegade-type) & maybe a little more unhinged QGJ (Gonna do what he gonna do, despite what Jedi Council says); a "no F's given" type, a willful in-your-face Jedi Code breaker, etc. Throw in a completely unnecessary poorly performed Southern (American) drawl accent, throw some dirt on, and you'll get this guy. Personally, for me he wears thin pretty quickly, especially in the "M&A" book, but I really don't care about this new made-up character, so not worth wasting my time dogging on him. Just don't be surprised to see more of Rael in the future if they continue with more pre-TPM material.

"M&A" does a good job focusing on the main element throughout the story; the dissonance between the opposite pairing of QGJ (unorthodox approach of doing things) & OWK (strictly by the Jedi handbook-type). And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention there's a decent amount of philosophical difference expressed between QGJ & the Jedi Council as well. Again, for me the story plot never rises above the typical, boiler-plate Star Wars novel-level thinking here. Though the plot is mainly forgettable, for me it really only serves as a vehicle by which the true pleasure and payoff is we get to experience a better sense and understanding of our favorite characters--how it enhances them and adds to what we've already seen of them in the prequel-era movies. 3.5/5 stars

Final note: As Yodanews mentioned in their review, if you're going to do both, listen to "Dooku: Jedi Lost" first, then listen/read "M&A". Unfortunately, I did it the opposite way b/c at the time I didn't understand how closely they were related in theme and shared-characters. I don't think it hurt, but if I were to do it again, I'd go more for the chronological approach. Overall, these are enjoyable light listening distractions while I mow or do other chores. These offerings do not arise to the level of Zahn, Lucerno & Kemp in quality of authorship, but are still entertaining nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not Star Wars related, but The Last Battle by Stephen Harding. I grabbed it from Books-A-Million while visiting my dad in Tennessee. It tells the story of the final battle of the European theater in World War II: a group of French civilians - including tennis champion Jean Borotra - are holed up in the Schloss Itter in Austria, a medieval castle that's been converted into an ad-hoc prison by the Nazis, who've abandoned their posts in the wake of Hitler's suicide.

But now a battalion of fanatical SS troops commanded by Major Georg Bochmann, who refuse to surrender even though the war is basically over, has taken it upon themselves to besiege the castle so they can murder the prisoners in what is probably history's greatest example of cruel pettiness. The prisoners' only hope for survival? American Army tank commander Captain Jack Lee and his Sherman tank (nicknamed "Besotten Jenny") and some unlikely allies - a German Heer (Army) officer named Major Sepp Gangl and his men, plus, of all things, an SS officer (!!!), Captain Kurt-Siegfried Schrader, who has seen the light. Along with Austrian resistance members, this ragtag group heads to the castle. The SS get there shortly afterward. The French prisoners arm themselves with weapons their former captors left behind, and join the mixed group of American, German and Austrian soldiers in fending off Bochmann's Nazi hordes. Can they make it until Lee's superiors send much-needed reinforcements...?

This sounds made up. Like something Alistair MacLean (Where Eagles Dare, The Guns of Navarone, etc.) would write, but it's completely true. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hey, Quentin Tarantino! Make this into a movie already!

I'm also reading Beast by Peter Benchley (hooray for giant squids) and Joseph Payne Brennan's short story collection The Shapes of Midnight (containing such gems as "Diary of a Werewolf," the radioactive zombie tale "The Corpse of Charlie Rull," and the ever popular blob monster classic "Slime"). I like to alternate between multiple books at a time so I never get bored. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im currently reading Star Wars Battlefront II Inferno Squad.

then for the rest of this month im planning on reading these books to get it done with

Interview with the Vampire
Wheel of Time Book 1 Eye of the World

Reaction score
Honestly I'm still trudging through Thrawn: Alliances. It's not a good book and not even near the quality of Thrawn. Hopefully the next one returns to form.

Reaction score
Honestly I'm still trudging through Thrawn: Alliances. It's not a good book and not even near the quality of Thrawn. Hopefully the next one returns to form.
Well that's no good! That is on my reading list, but I probably won't get around to it for a while.

Reaction score
Getting caught up on the last few months SW comics..

The Galaxy's Edge comics are great if not alone for the simple fact that they tied in and cross-marketed the storylines/comics with the opening of the Disney SW theme parks. Kudos, and great stuff!!!! Absolutely love this!

The individual "Age of the Rebellion" type stories are pretty good.

Good stuff lately in the SW comics world!

Reaction score
Agreed. Some moments were good, but overall I was disappointed.
Seems that Zahn is being forced to kinda go along with the new Disney-style of storytelling.
There is an interview in a thread in the forums here where it seems that even with Thrawn appearing in Rebels was done pretty much without his input.
From the interview it seems like it was "yeah, they called me after it was done and asked me to see what I could piece together for the new books."
Terrible.

If anyone wants to check out the interview (audio) here's the link:

https://www.superkaiju.com/tb94-episode11/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agreed. Some moments were good, but overall I was disappointed.
Seems that Zahn is being forced to kinda go along with the new Disney-style of storytelling.
There is an interview in a thread in the forums here where it seems that even with Thrawn appearing in Rebels was done pretty much without his input.
From the interview it seems like it was "yeah, they called me after it was done and asked me to see what I could piece together for the new books."
Terrible.

If anyone wants to check out the interview (audio) here's the link:

https://www.superkaiju.com/tb94-episode11/
That's a shame. I didn't really get that impression at all during the first (new) novel or even Rebels for that matter.

Alliance just seems like a way for Disney to name drop that new land in a book.

Reaction score
Earlier today I dug out the old paperback of Star Wars Allegiance out of the storage box in the closet. going to be reading it again for the 3rd time and reading Choices of One for the first time since I just bought Choices of One from Barnes and Noble.

I just need to finish reading the last 200 pages of Wheel of Time Eye of the World first

Reaction score
Wow.. the Galaxy's Edge comic series not only ties in to the Disney theme parks, but 3 surprise characters rolled into the 3rd installment of the series as well. Just an awesome read with this series. Loving it. One of the better ones in a while.

Reaction score
Just finished Lost Stars. It's been a long time since I really enjoyed a Star Wars book. Loved the characters, loved the story. Sometimes, it felt a bit rushed, but they do cover like...over a decade of story.

Reaction score
Im reading the last 60 pages of Star Wars Allegiance.

Then later today or tonight ill be reading Star Wars Choices of One and reading some old Alpha Flight and old Power Pack back issues I bought last month or so

Reaction score
I just finished the Bane Trilogy for the 5th or 6th time. Such a good story.