What are you reading now? V.3

Reaction score
Finished The Truce at Bakura.
It was decent, kinda out there with the alien race, but overall a good read. I actually felt empathy for the male go-between/slave.

Started Outbound Flight. Couple of chapters into it and it's pretty good so far. Can't wait for the rest.

Reaction score
Finished Outbound Flight.

Excellent read. Felt anticipation and anxiety as it came down to the showdown at the end.
Loved getting a lot more of C'aobath. Man, I thought he was an a-hole in the Thrawn trilogy, but Timothy Zahn really fleshed him out a lot more.
If you haven't read this, I highly recommend it.

Taking a breather from SW books right now and reading War All the Time by Charles Bukowski.
After than I'm gonna crack into Zahn's Survivor's Quest​.

Reaction score
Just finished Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and his son, Owen King. Kinda a slog, but not the worst thing I've read.

Started Artemis by Andy Weir. It's fun and is zipping right along.

Reaction score
I just finished The Secret History of Star Wars. Which I highly recommend, I almost feel it should be required reading for fans. Lots of interesting insights.

I'm almost finished with Book 3 of the Bounty Hunter Wars. The whole series has been, eh ok. It's an entertaining enough read, but each book consists of like five or six very long scenes. I'd equate it to a book(s) you'd read on a long flight. They definitely aren't a waste of time but I doubt I'd read them again. The parts with Kuat of Kuat driveyards literally make my eyes roll back and I fall asleep, lol. It is fun though, getting a bit of personality to put with the bounty hunters from ESB.

Reaction score
Been reading through the now-'Legends' EU starting with Darth Plagueis in August 2013. Just finished up the Corellian Trilogy, which I hadn't read before. I think the last books I read were the Jedi Academy trilogy, then I got busy and the books just kept coming, so I never went back to read them all. Now that that EU line has effectively stopped, It seemed a good time to start as there won't be new books added in between stuff I already read. So far I have to say the Republic Commando have been my favorites (of those not having the original characters). It's a shame that series was never completed once Clone Wars retconned the Mandalorians. Hardest to read so far was Children of the Jedi. That just didn't make much sense. And then several of them have just seemed like repeats of the same theme (Darksaber, Black Fleet Crisis, New Rebellion, etc). I liked the X-Wing series, and I'm looking forward to the Hand of Thrawn duo-logy coming up next.

Reaction score
I'm finding Terrible Lizard incredibly interesting. It's not just about the founding years of paleontology in the 1800s, but the early years of geology in general and how religious dogma carved out the modern geology I studied in my early college years prior to changing majors. It also discusses how egos and traditional societal roles (not just gender roles, but English classes as well) impede the progress of the fledgling sciences. Furthermore, because geology was initially founded to prove the biblical miracles and catastrophes (such as the Great Flood), and paleontology was an extension of that mission, the discovery of long extinct reptiles really threw a monkey wrench into the whole Biblical Geology thing.

Reaction score
Finished Sol Yurick's original novel for The Warriors. It's a decent read, but the movie is very different. It's actually better than the book, I think.

Started the Dawn of the Dead novelization of the movie. It's pretty straight on like the movie, just a few tidbits here and there so far.

Reaction score
i just finished Tales of the Bounty Hunters... yeesh... Bounty Hunter Wars was better.

Reaction score
I'm currently reading Dark Imperium by Guy Haley.

I'm a big fan of the Black Library Space Marine novels, and this is my first one for a while to coincide with my return to gaming with WH40K 8th edition. I've also bought the First Strike box set and Codex: Space Marines, so that's something else to read afterwards.

Any other WH40K gamers on here?

Reaction score
The TLJ novelization. It's pretty good.

Spoiler:  
My one and only gripe, though, is the implied death of a Canto Bight valet during Rose and Finn's rampage through the city, when the fathier Rose is riding knocks him into a pond of decorative carnivorous fish. This bothers me because I'm not sure the servants of the rich people deserve such grisly demises. The actual rich people maybe, considering how they made their money, but not the baggage handlers, chauffeurs, valets, etc. In fact, having anyone die during the sequence sort of spoils the fun of it, taking it from just "harmless breaking rich jerks' stuff for fun" to "haha our heroes totally just killed some random guy who probably lives off tips."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Earlier today all day I've been reading Star Wars Lords of the Sith. I've read 121 pages nonstop since its a Star Wars novel. I just might stay up until 1 or 2 a.m. to read some more paged

Reaction score
Kinda stuck on what to read next. Mostly looking for post-ROTJ with OT characters, but will read anything from any era that's good. Suggestions are appreciated.

What I've read:

-Thrawn Trilogy
-Spectre of the Past
-Vision of the Future
-Survivor's Quest
-Outbound Flight
-Battlefront
-Lost Stars
-Bloodline (meh)
-Legends of Luke Skywalker (ugh, not good)
-Truce at Bakura
-Thrawn

And a couple of others I can't recall at the moment.

Are these any good?:

-Scoundrels
-Choices of One
-Revan
-Crucible
-The Paradise Snare

Reaction score
Scoundrels is a heist story so if you like something like an Ocean's Eleven where a bunch of people come together and each have various parts to pull off, then you probably will like this. I enjoyed it.

Choices of One is one of my favorite books and the follow up to Allegiance. Both of these books are very high on my list. They contains characters that are familiar to a movie only crowd, and develop in universe characters that were very enjoyable additions to SW. A great balance of plot and action. I would only read Choices of One after reading Allegiance. It is in effect a part two, in that it is a continuation of the activities of certain characters, not so much as Allegiance ended as a cliffhanger and Choices continues from that very moment.

Revan. I only know Revan from this book and his brief appearance in comics, not from the video game world where everybody who loves him seems to know him from. With that info, I found this to be an enjoyable book. He is on an adventure and encounters people and situations that I found very interesting. Recently I saw someone comment that he hated this book, because he had a completely different feel for Revan from the video game world and felt like this portrayal wasn't what Revan was best known for. But with only this book to go by, I enjoyed the character of Revan.

The Paradise Snare is part one of a trilogy that I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed. It is essentially Han from childhood right up to A New Hope. The new Solo movie probably thoroughly wipes out this trilogy though. What is great about this trilogy is that it was written after the Brian Daley Han Solo Adventures, yet this trilogy takes care to allow three strategic placements for those Daley stories to occur. By that I mean Crispin wrote her trilogy such that she'd have Han get to a certain point in the galaxy where you could put that book down and then read one of the Daley books. After concluding that book, you could pick the Crispin book back up and Crispin would continue her story. She did this for each of the three Daley novels. For me, this is the true background of Han Solo up to the moment we meet him in the cantina in A New Hope.

Crucible: Here is what I thought about Crucible, though most of it is in spoilers. This is the only post RotJ book in your list.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1084213&page=2&p=19193567&viewfull=1#post19193567

I guess you could read back and see the thoughts of others. This book was written with the flavor of ending the adventures of the big three, and was setting things up so that Jaina Solo would take over as the 'head' Jedi in terms of the lead character in the story lines. It was the passing of the torch, and that torch ended up burning because Disney swooped in and we never got the Sword of the Jedi story line that everything had been building up to.
I guess I'll just say that there were a few elements in this story that felt out of place for Star Wars, that way you don't have to read the spoiler section. I wouldn't particularly recommend it, there are certainly many others I would do so before it.

For my tastes of your list, Choices of One (after Allegiance) is the highest on my all time favorites list.
Then The Paradise Snare and the rest of the Crispin trilogy are also well thought of on my list.
Probably Scoundrels next and then Revan, with Crucible last.

Allegiance and Choices of One are perhaps my second favorite EU story line ever. Certainly in my top 5. But everybody has different preferences, and you have to know what sort of stories you best enjoy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Choices of One is one of my favorite books and the follow up to Allegiance. Both of these books are very high on my list. They contains characters that are familiar to a movie only crowd, and develop in universe characters that were very enjoyable additions to SW. A great balance of plot and action. I would only read Choices of One after reading Allegiance. It is in effect a part two, in that it is a continuation of the activities of certain characters, not so much as Allegiance ended as a cliffhanger and Choices continues from that very moment.

For my tastes of your list, Choices of One (after Allegiance) is the highest on my all time favorites list.
Then The Paradise Snare and the rest of the Crispin trilogy are also well thought of on my list.
Probably Scoundrels next and then Revan, with Crucible last.

Allegiance and Choices of One are perhaps my second favorite EU story line ever. Certainly in my top 5. But everybody has different preferences, and you have to know what sort of stories you best enjoy.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know Allegiance was part of the Choices of One. I'd been eyeballing both books but had seen mixed reviews.
Plus, having Zahn pen them gives me a bit more confidence.
Ordered a used hardback of Allegiance and it just showed up today, and the Choices of One is on the way as well.

I'll look into the other ones as well once I get through these.
If you have any other suggestions, feel free to recommend!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know Allegiance was part of the Choices of One. I'd been eyeballing both books but had seen mixed reviews.
Plus, having Zahn pen them gives me a bit more confidence.
Ordered a used hardback of Allegiance and it just showed up today, and the Choices of One is on the way as well.

I'll look into the other ones as well once I get through these.
If you have any other suggestions, feel free to recommend!
I know this is a 'What are you reading' topic but this is in reply for suggestions on reading. Feel free to skip over if you aren't interested. By the way, I know I write a lot. With the EU, it came about easily.

When the EU still counted, we used to have some good discussions in here. I'll link in some past posts, maybe even some reviews of specific books. It's a lot of info that I already wrote out before. I've spoken a lot in different areas, and linking in is faster than starting from scratch. It'll be a scattering from across the EU. As I touched on here, I usually started with an explanation that you should have an idea for a focus, a time period, certain characters perhaps, as well as the type of story you best enjoy. No sense wasting time on political intrigue if you prefer ships and space battles and big action.

These two posts contain a lot of advice on how to read the EU and enjoy it the most. Pre Disney EU. Both topics contain good discussion from the points I linked to the topic's end. A number of books get mentioned as well.

This reply was to a request for PT and OT ties ins (especially after RotJ).
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1088175&p=18986201&viewfull=1#post18986201

This member was not very familiar with the EU and wanted to read multiple story lines at once to 'catch up', asking about reading the X-Wing series alongside other novels. I address the X-Wing series and reading the EU in general.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1092746&p=19040227&viewfull=1#post19040227

Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1094481&p=19259470&viewfull=1#post19259470

Some quick reviews on the Old Republic era:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1061998&page=12&p=19120246&viewfull=1#post19120246

Honor Among Thieves:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1105788&p=19362108&viewfull=1#post19362108

My review of Kenobi that I wrote on the Barnes and Noble website:

As a kid I never was that interested in Ben Kenobi. As I grew older I began to admire Obi Wan for his strength of character, perseverance, composure, and wit. I began to see that he had a tremendous strength and truly was among the greatest of all Jedi ever.
In Kenobi, JJM displays this strength of character excellently, and I believe he has done great honor to the character Obi Wan Ben Kenobi in the entire lore of Star Wars.
As it has been said, the story feels more like a western than Star Wars and I would agree. JJM uses quite a few stereotypical elements from westerns, but the bulk of them are used with well thought out tweaks that fit with the story he is creating. They do not feel like token additions to thump us over the head with the message THIS IS A WESTERN, YOU DUMMY.
There are different categories of westerns, and JJM takes elements of them all. He uses the groups of people; good guys, bad guys, and the 'posse out for revenge' that can be found among John Wayne westerns, as well as the elements of the loner style that Clint Eastwood mainly made. The guy trying not to join the group, but follow his own mission amid interruptions. Being drawn into situations to help those who need it, while trying to juggle his own agenda and remain unnoticed. The widowed mother and daughter (usually daughter first) who fall for the hero.
There are many more aspects used from the world of westerns, and being a fan of westerns greatly helped me to recognize these elements as well as appreciate the quality with which he utilized them. Besides doing great justice to the character of Obi Wan, JJM has crafted a very good western story. And these two separate areas of interest have blended together to create one of the best standalone Star Wars stories that I have read in the entire EU.
JJM has created a very involved story on Tattooine with people and a way of life that I suspect none of us would have thought of, and used the elements we would have thought of, in ways we wouldn't have expected. For a big desert ball of a planet, he has pulled an entire community out of nowhere and made it believable. I am very much impressed with what he has created with Kenobi.

I didn't even get into Republic Commando, but that may be a bit hardcore with new characters and themes. Likewise, the further past RotJ you get, the stories fall into long arcs, and in general I stay away from recommending them unless you know you are really into the EU. Not because they are bad, but because of the commitment needed. But if I were to, I would mainly say read them in chronological order, as post RotJ really builds upon itself series after series. Anything you read from later in the time line may ruin a previous series that you've skipped over.

This should give you plenty of ideas to keep you going for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last night I started reading Darth Maul Lockdown for paperback.

Earlier today I read another 100 pages so I'm about done with the book.

I might finish reading the rest later tonight or tomorrow.

Then I just might start reading Anne Rice's Memnoch the Devil or Joe mckinneys zombie books starting with Plague of the Dead

Reaction score
I picked up and am reading Lords of the Sith (paperback). I started it while on vacation in Mexico during Memorial Day week but haven't finished it yet.

Reaction score
No activity on this thread so I'll bring it back up. I finished the Lords of the Sith book some time ago. I recently acquired the "Maul: Lockdown" book and have started reading this.

Reaction score
Juggling One Punch Man 6, a David Bowie biography and The Magus by John Fowles.

Reaction score
No activity on this thread so I'll bring it back up. I finished the Lords of the Sith book some time ago. I recently acquired the "Maul: Lockdown" book and have started reading this.
I got the Maul: Lockdown book as an audio book and I gotta say it was amazing to listen to in the car. I found I didn't dread driving in traffic with this going on. I've done a few audio books over the years, but this was a first in awhile (it was a gift). If you've never listened to a Star Wars audio book, you should! They are awesome.

Last one before that I did was Death Troopers and that was pretty amazing too. The Star Wars music and sound effects just add a lot for me.

Reaction score
I got the Maul: Lockdown book as an audio book and I gotta say it was amazing to listen to in the car. I found I didn't dread driving in traffic with this going on. I've done a few audio books over the years, but this was a first in awhile (it was a gift). If you've never listened to a Star Wars audio book, you should! They are awesome.

Last one before that I did was Death Troopers and that was pretty amazing too. The Star Wars music and sound effects just add a lot for me.
I'll have to give it a try. Years ago I wound up purchasing a couple of audio books but haven't listen to them. I misread the item description and thought they were books and that I was getting a great deal. That was until they arrived and I found out that they were audio.

Reaction score
I'll have to give it a try. Years ago I wound up purchasing a couple of audio books but haven't listen to them. I misread the item description and thought they were books and that I was getting a great deal. That was until they arrived and I found out that they were audio.
I got a bunch of books on cassette tapes years ago at a place that was shutting down that rented audio books. Since my car was a 1999 model it had a cassette player and I loved it. I listened to the entire X-Wing series, some of the less popular ones like Crystal Star, the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy, the Dark Forces stuff and the Black Fleet Crisis and it was all great. I didn't have time to read, but I had a long commute.

I recommend the audio books to everyone.

Reaction score
Just finished Solo The Expanded Edition, last night. It was an easy read, well written in that sense. Few gripes, someone should have mentioned to the author that this was the "expanded" edition. It's almost exactly the halfway point before anything expanded of any real consequence is added, its about a page of what happened to Q'ira between going back the Lady Proxima and working for Dryden.

Other than that and a little extra conversation between L3 and Lando after she's integrated with the Falcon, it's basically the movie verbatim with only the bit of extra exposition that you'd expect a novelization to have. And reading a novel of a movie that's the movie verbatim isn't a particularly fun read to me. You just kind of want to get it done and over with.

And I'm hesitant to even mention it, maybe I'm reading into it, but there's a very subtle, blink and you'll miss it "Lando is gay/bi/whateversigh" reference in the last chapter before the epilog.

Also the author refers to Enfys Nest as "she" early on in the book. If I'm remembering correctly, Enfys was called 'he' right up until the end, in the movie. Which I expect was intentional as the reveal added a more interesting depth to the character, that this cloud bike riding, mask wearing, *** kicking marauder was actually a teenage girl.

Reaction score
Thrawn: Alliances

I bought and finished Thrawn last week on some flights for a business trip. I landed on Thursday and went to the first bookshop I could find in the RDU Airport to find Thrawn: Alliances.

Absolutely amazing stuff.

Reaction score
I'm about 3/4 of the way into Scoundrels. Not really my cup of tea. Its a true heist book, through and through, has a very Oceans 11/12/13 vibe. I could see people liking it in that regard, but for me I can tell I'm just forcing myself to get through it.

Agree on the Thrawn book! I have Alliances waiting after I finish Scoundrels.

Reaction score
Scoundrels was pretty good. It was better than some others that i have read. Like you with this, I had to force myself through some.
Yeah it's one of those weird ones that comes to personal preference I think. Its written good, I'm just having trouble being interested. I think I mostly want to see how it ends for our OT heroes leading up to ESB.

Reaction score
What threw me for a loop as I may have missed something earlier in the book was how the person who wanted the stuff was actually Boba Fett.
So... I'm not sure if this is a tongue in cheek post, or a 'I wasn't thinking' post, or just a spoiler-y troll post. But, that's a pretty big spoiler for anyone who comes in to this thread that hasn't read the book; or for anyone, like myself, who's allllmost done with it, but apparently hasn't come across that little tidbit yet.