Were there any Power Of The Force TV commercials?

Reaction score
Wow Russ! I've never seen that Revenge rough cut version. This would be the one you saw on T.V. The person who uploaded that rough cut said I wonder if he could have the POTF commercial from whatever source he got that.
yeah I noticed the one I posted was the rough cut, but was the first one that popped up ... and the other is what I must have seen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In '85 I was 15. I guarantee you all 100% that this commercial exists. I had it on tape! My interest at the time, however, was on many other things (girls), so I didn't watch it more than a couple times.. I don't remember the mailbox, but it's possible. I'm positive about the coins falling and the "flying" over shot of all the toys. In fact, i remember pausing the video on the flyover shot to see what new vehicles there were...and thats when i saw the a-wing and Tatooine skiff. I think it also showed the imperial gunner and Luke stormtrooper figures, but I'm not positive bout that. Kenner hired some company to produce it and it would be cool if someone could track down the company to ask older, possibly retired employees about it.

Reaction score
I find it especially interesting that Shabby_blue remembers seeing a coin float in the sky like a V spaceship and a poster on usenet described the commercial as coins invading a neighborhood. Such a similar description for 2 threads that are almost 15 years apart.

I find it amusing and somewhat appalling that there are so many doubters in this thread. The memory of this commercial for some of us isn't some collective false memory like with people who claimed to have seen the Tatooine Biggs cut scene in the theatrical cuts of ANH and simply confused it with a memory of the Biggs photos in the Star Wars Storybook instead or the brief glimpse of the cut scene from the Making of Star Wars tv special.

I was old enough to vividly know what the hell I saw and remember it for years afterward. The reason I know it wasn't some false or confused memory is because of the V connection. This was right around 1984 or 85 when the V miniseries and tv series were quite popular on TV, and for a kid suffering from Star Wars withdrawl after the original trilogy had finished in 1983, the V series served as a small screen substitute to fill that void for a couple more years.

So when that commercial appeared on TV and the first part of it showed giant POTF coins hovering up in the air over a suburban neighborhood with kids playing outside and looking up at the sky at all the coins, I immediately got excited thinking it was advertising a new V toy line with those huge silver discs representing the motherships. Of course a few seconds into the commercial I realized with disappointment that it was just for a toy line I already owned, promoting the POTF coin mail-in offer and encouraging kids to collect them all.

So yeah... the commercial was real. I saw it. Others have too. I'd love to see it again if someone ever recorded it, just for nostalgia's sake and to shut up the doubters who have the nerve to accuse us of outright lying about something that existed.

The best chance of tracking down this commercial is to seek out VHS recordings of Saturday morning cartoons on the 3 main networks (NBC/CBS/ABC) that aired during Fall 1984-Spring 1985 season. That's when the commercial would have most likely aired, targeted at kids such as myself who watched cartoons every Saturday morning. Given that this was potentially the last tv commercial promoting a dying toy line and mainly advertising the mail-away offer more than the toy line itself, it may have had a very limited run on TV (a few weeks? a couple months?), which is why so few of us ever saw it or had a chance to record it. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
The back of the '85 Pre-Toy Fair catalog shows Star Wars toys as being advertised on TV throughout the first half of '85. The Kenner Ad Plans brochure for that year might have more information, but I don't have it. Chris might.

Reaction score
A quick Internet search showed that Robotech first aired around March 1st, 1985...and that was what I was recording when I saw the POTF commercial. I contacted a gentlemen who did a lot of Kenner commercials in the eighties, but he didn't remember this one. He said Kenner switched ad agencies around that time to a NY firm called Grey. I sent them an email last week, but I didn't hear back from them. With people chucking their VHS collections, the window to find this may be shrinking. Sad thing is there are probably thousands out there that have this on a tape in their house right now, but we have no way of getting it....

Reaction score
I just feel like there was some type of Pre Droids but post ROTJ SW commercial because as I stated in an earlier post, I caught a glimpse of something one morning before school.

Reaction score
Kinda off topic from what you all are talking about. But I remember a tv commercial for the mail in Anakin Skywalker, it ended with the figure fadeing away and the announcer saying something like "get it before it's gone forever". I've looked for years to find that but haven't seen it since I was a kid.

Reaction score
I'm trying to track down one from Australia, late 70's I would guess, a Toltoys ad with the all figures and vehicles to date in a "parade" scrolling down the screen. The commercial ends with Darth Vader appearing onscreen saying "Parade nothing, it's an invasion". It's driving me nuts, I remember it clearly but can't find the ad anywhere online.

Reaction score
Weird — it is like the cardbacks are not even in their hands. They move, the cardbacks do not. Recorded with empty hands and added the product later.

Reaction score
Finally found. Some folks on here vindicated! Does remind me of V. That show was epic as a kid. I tried to watch it a couple years ago and it wasn't the same as I remember lol

Reaction score
Finally found. Some folks on here vindicated! Does remind me of V. That show was epic as a kid. I tried to watch it a couple years ago and it wasn't the same as I remember lol
Not even Morena Baccarin could save it!

Reaction score
I totally misread what you said; thought you were referring to the remake. The remake was OK, but not great. I loved V so much as a kid (in the 80's), I am afraid to watch it again. I am sure it probably does not hold up.

Reaction score
I totally misread what you said; thought you were referring to the remake. The remake was OK, but not great. I loved V so much as a kid (in the 80's), I am afraid to watch it again. I am sure it probably does not hold up.
I have the whole set on Dvd and the miniseries does hold up quite well if you can keep from getting ball ache watching Beastmaster run around in those vacuum tight jeans. It's season two that gets crappy, the magical red "Deus Ex" dust that they use constantly in the second season ruins that one. These guys have the ability to cross the galaxy and they can't build gas masks? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Back in the day of 1996 and 1997 when I was in high school I definitely remember seeing alot of Power of the Force 2 commercials for the action figures.

Even later on for Phantom Menace and the Power of the Jedi line and commercials for Attack of the Clones for those magnetic "force pull" figures like Obi Wan

Lex

Reaction score
Back in the day of 1996 and 1997 when I was in high school I definitely remember seeing alot of Power of the Force 2 commercials for the action figures.
This thread is about Power of the Force commercials, not Power of the Force 2 commercials.

Glad to finally see the POTF commercial, cool find.

Reaction score
This Vintage 1985 Kenner Star Wars POWER OF THE FORCE Coin commercial would have reached the epic proportions of an Urban Legend had it still not been discovered in February 2018!

Reaction score
Ah ha!! See, I told you guys it was real! And it's exactly as I remembered and described it. Vindication at last. :)

When I get home, I'm going to download that video from Youtube for personal preservation just in case the Youtube video gets deleted someday. I suggest others who value this commercial do the same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There was also a rad Ewoks commercial that Gus posted on Starwars.com a few years ago, but it has been pulled down since. It featured some unproduced figures and the Battle Wagon.

Now that the POTF has been found, maybe we can hope this Ewoks commercial turns up again!

Reaction score
Nice find on the ad.

Has anyone every seen footage or photos of POTF in store ?

There's plenty of photos and footage of shop displays of Star Wars, ESB and ROTJ...but ive never seen any POTF.

Reaction score
I have a master Tape that I got as a gift from an employee at Kenner while Kenner was still in SW business and it has all of the commercials from the start to Finish of the SW line including Toy fair stuff and the Final Toy Fair tag "Lucas is going to make the next 6 SW movies tag line" to get retailers to purchase SW Toys. And long story short it does not have the POTF Coin commercials so they are very very rare.

Reaction score
You should really upload that unless ChrisG's disc has them all already.

I have a master Tape that I got as a gift from an employee at Kenner while Kenner was still in SW business and it has all of the commercials from the start to Finish of the SW line including Toy fair stuff and the Final Toy Fair tag "Lucas is going to make the next 6 SW movies tag line" to get retailers to purchase SW Toys. And long story short it does not have the POTF Coin commercials so they are very very rare.

Reaction score
You should really upload that unless ChrisG's disc has them all already.
They use to be very Rare, and I made some copies years ago for some of my friends but I think there everywhere now. I've never bought any to see if there complete though. Mine were put on High end Old school Archive VHS. I've also got the Japanese Dubbed OT that was made I believe for Japanese TV only. It's been years but they were a blast to watch. There are a few SW commercials on that as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awesome....but I’m certain there was another version as well that had a flyover shot of the toys. I hope that one turns up too.
either way, this proves we all weren’t dreaming it!

Reaction score
Sorry about the bump but I feel this should be addressed. We should still try to find more copies of both the POTF and Droids commercials as they are missing a few seconds at the beginning and ends. It is amazing that we have them at all however.

We also still need to find the elusive Ewoks cartoon line commercial. It would only make sense that they made one for it if they made one for Droids as well.

There might possibly be other lost vintage Kenner SW commercials too.

Reaction score
I love these old commercials. I bought a copy off ebay off a bunch of them .. not really the best quality but still fun to watch

Reaction score
Very cool. It brings back memories. However, some I do not remember. More simple time...seems like a long time ago.
Only 10 days to the correct SW day.

Reaction score
Kinda off topic from what you all are talking about. But I remember a tv commercial for the mail in Anakin Skywalker, it ended with the figure fadeing away and the announcer saying something like "get it before it's gone forever". I've looked for years to find that but haven't seen it since I was a kid.

dude i'm still looking for this commercial. i remember it just like you do. i was up all night watching fall 84 saturday morning cartoon spots. did see the ewok family hut though

Reaction score
dude i'm still looking for this commercial. i remember it just like you do. i was up all night watching fall 84 saturday morning cartoon spots. did see the ewok family hut though
It seems there’s actually quite a few lost Kenner commercials, mostly from the era when they switched producer companies for the commercials. I’m pretty sure I remember hearing that the Early Bird commercial was lost for quite some time.

In order to create more awareness of the lost commercials discussed here, I have created an article about them here: https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com..._Toy_Line)?useskin=oasis#WikiaArticleComments

I do hope it helps them become more known and hopefully found.

Last edited: