QUESTION Weird bidding activity

Reaction score
I decided to sell some of the higher priced (to me) items from my collections.

First figure auction closes and I notice second place bidder bid multiple times under a "normal" bid increment. $229, $234, $239 as if to see how high the high bidder was willing to go and stopped when he was outbid a less than regular bid increment. This makes it look like I was trying to get more out of high bidder.

Second figure auction closes gets two very high bids in last couple seconds and winner immediately requests to cancel.

What should I do in either of these cases?

Reaction score
I regularly use bizarre bid increments, so it can be done for a perfectly innocent reasons. Well, at least for non cheating/fixing reasons. The combination with asking to cancel is a bit suspicious though.

Reaction score
Second bidder on first figure may have used a sniping service or changed their mind on what their max bid would be. I sometimes do that when I want something. I usually wait 'til the last few seconds on a live auction or use a snipe service. When I do a live auction I sometimes up my maximum bid a bit just in hopes I secure an item.

Second figure raises red flags right away — you risk possibly not receiving payment if you ship. Bidder may have been testing the market waters, did not expect to win or was bidder's remorse for whatever reason.

Reaction score
I was talking about two different auctions. In the first one (a yak face) were the high bidder requests to cancel seconds after bidding. I'm guessing he was selling one under a different account and didn't want anyone to buy mine.

The other auction I think they were also trying to inflate the price for unknown reason???

Added a few more names to my ebay block list.

Reaction score
Either scenario could be a competing seller trying to inflate "the going rate" by messing with your listings.

As a secondary (and unfortunate) impact, if I were watching these auctions (and thus, not know what you know about the bidders), my gut would tell me the seller (you) was attempting a shill and I'd be cautious about any of their future listings.

I agree with the block list approach. Anybody, ever, who has backed out of a sale is on the block list. Feel free to name and shame.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was talking about two different auctions. In the first one (a yak face) were the high bidder requests to cancel seconds after bidding. I'm guessing he was selling one under a different account and didn't want anyone to buy mine.

The other auction I think they were also trying to inflate the price for unknown reason???

Added a few more names to my ebay block list.
I knew they were two separate auctions. You did not indicate the first one was canceled as well.

Reaction score
If a buyer wants to cancel, then do it. It's going to cause you nothing but grief no matter what you use or say as a disclaimer. PayPal sides with the buyer.

I only last second bid, so there's nothing wrong there from my point of view. I do it for 2 reasons.

1 it doesn't give a bidder time to start a bidding war.

2 , its basically the max I will pay and I dont have time to enter a higher bid even if I want to .

Dax

Reaction score
Ever since ebay prevented sellers from leaving negative feedback for buyers, the place has turned into a xxxxhole.

Block both your top and second bidders, they're both flaky xxxhats that just cost you sales then sell your items through Facebook.

Edited to self censor as my creative word usage appears to not be automatically blocked by the forum software. Whoops! Was not my intent!

Reaction score
never who does that??
People who are worried about how eBay is handling things these days! Sellers worrying they'll get negative feedback, even though payment has not been processed/received yet. It is already happening.

Even way before that, I've also had several auctions where I already had detailed tracking info (with post offices actually receiving items) and no money has left my account.

Reaction score
I knew they were two separate auctions. You did not indicate the first one was canceled as well.
Sorry I wasn't very clear, Only the bidder of the yak face figure requested to cancel seconds after bidding. The other figure auction the high bidder paid with no problem but second place bidder was placing unusual bids as if to see how high the 1st place bidder max bid was. like $149, knowing someone max bid will be $150 of above.

I talked to some other collectors and they told me people will intentionally bid very high amount and have there friend outbid that and then cancel the transaction so that when they sell one themselves thay can tell potential buyers "hey, check sold listings and see what they are selling for" and they'll see the auction like mine for a very high price and not be able to see the sale didn't go through.

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't very clear, Only the bidder of the yak face figure requested to cancel seconds after bidding. The other figure auction the high bidder paid with no problem but second place bidder was placing unusual bids as if to see how high the 1st place bidder max bid was. like $149, knowing someone max bid will be $150 of above.

I talked to some other collectors and they told me people will intentionally bid very high amount and have there friend outbid that and then cancel the transaction so that when they sell one themselves thay can tell potential buyers "hey, check sold listings and see what they are selling for" and they'll see the auction like mine for a very high price and not be able to see the sale didn't go through.
That sucks. The other can be it just plain backfired on him and he won an item he had no intention of paying for. Some people are just completely clueless and or stupid.

Reaction score

First figure auction closes and I notice second place bidder bid multiple times under a "normal" bid increment. $229, $234, $239 as if to see how high the high bidder was willing to go and stopped when he was outbid a less than regular bid increment. This makes it look like I was trying to get more out of high bidder.

Second figure auction closes gets two very high bids in last couple seconds and winner immediately requests to cancel.

personally, I click watch and have alerts sent to my phone on ebay items I'm interested in, and I won't bid until it's in the last 20 or 30 seconds, and I already have my card information entered. Typically that works out pretty good for me, as long as others can keep the bidding low

Reaction score
This is why I only do buy it now with instant payments on EBay. It’s deflating when you see your listing get bid up only to have winner not pay. And I also don’t do Best Offer, now I’ll accept a best offer when messaged but what I do is adjust the Buy It Now price to that offer with instant payment and tell the interested party they have 15 minutes otherwise I’ll change Buy It Now price back to original amount..

Reaction score
Buyers hold all the cards now. PayPal, Ebay, and their credit card companies will side with the buyer and they know it. Truth be told, I use this method to take a chance the item I buy is real or not. I know I will win a dispute.

NON PAYING IS COMPLETE BULL SHANKY.

No excuse for that. Don't bid if you don't want to pay.

I use buy it now or best offer and its an automatic accept at a predetermined dollar amount that I choose, but I also use immediate pay method so they can't flake out. If they don't pay, the item remains listed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If a buyer wants to cancel, then do it. It's going to cause you nothing but grief no matter what you use or say as a disclaimer. PayPal sides with the buyer.

I only last second bid, so there's nothing wrong there from my point of view. I do it for 2 reasons.

2 , its basically the max I will pay and I dont have time to enter a higher bid even if I want to .
I completely concur

Reaction score

Exactly!!!

Reaction score
Dont forget to block the canceling buyer from bidding/buying from your listings ever again. Heck, I'll block buyers if they give me bad vibes from inquiries about a listing before they even have a chance to bid/buy.

Reaction score
Dont forget to block the canceling buyer from bidding/buying from your listings ever again. Heck, I'll block buyers if they give me bad vibes from inquiries about a listing before they even have a chance to bid/buy.
Great advise I have had to do that as well a few times.

Reaction score

The answer is always the same. Block the Bidder from bidding again and move on and relist.